As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3 2011] ELECTRONIC ARTS - Post-keynote wrap-up and discussion here!

HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration ThreadCentrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
Electronic Arts' E3 Keynote 2011

We won't parade celebs around on stage, except for the ones we do.

EA is a publisher with their hands in many sinister soups. Battlefield, the EA sports division, Mass Effect 3, and the upcoming Star Wars MMO are among their bigger shares in the industry. So what do they have on offer in 2011? (Edit - Jesus I have tons of Freudian slips here, I'm in a daze or some shit)

Bullet Points of Convenience:
  • Mass Effect 3 opens the keynote - Shepard is taking out a Reaper base, and *SPOILERS* it's a huge fucking Reaper!; 3-6-12
  • Riccitiello takes the stage, rips on bringing celebs on stage for promotion
  • Need for Speed: The Run - race from San Francisco to New York; Auto-Log tracks your progress across the country compared to your friends online; also known as Quick-Time-Event: The Game
  • Bioware takes the stage - Star Wars: The Old Republic - Mostly a mash-up trailer of trailers already seen, with new dialog placed over, which was a tradeoff of someone from the Republic and someone from the Empire narrating the lead-up to the war
  • And then snowboarding suddenly! - SSX - "Defy reality"; game goal is to capture every major mountainrange on the planet; "Race it, trick it, and survive it"
  • EA really seems to be pushing Origin.com for more info, by the way
  • FIFA 2012 - controls more detailed and tight, such as dribbling the ball in close range; despite the head of EA saying otherwise, soccer players are on screen talking about how great FIFA is as a series; Futball Club no additional charge, online matchmaker system, cross-platform
  • Madden 2012 - "True to Victory, True to the Game"; players marched on stage to repeat the phrases, including the freakin' Heisman Trophy being carried on stage by Clay of the Packers; new collision system in-game but no details given;
  • The Sims Social - Facebook; socially acceptable cyber-sex, where everyone you know can see
  • Reckoning - celebs not brought on stage, but sure are emphasized and photo'd; fantasy setting, big-time emphasized smashy-stuff and magic
  • Insomniac president takes the stage, mentions going multi-platform; "WOO!" from the crowd
  • Overstrike - comical special-ops-team game, watch the trailer because it looks fucking great

The End-Keynote Megaton:
Battlefield 3 - no live demonstration, montage of gameplay shown in Paris; looks pretty; "Battle Log" is the social service, also free; open beta in September; multiplayer trailer online at Origin site; oh, there is a live-demo!; turret sequence shown, apparently looking at the sun doesn't blind the fuck out of you; cursing was bleeped out on TV, tee-hee; apparently whoever is playing is getting fucked up big-time by artillery fire, thank goodness for God-mode; October 25; free online

The Bottom-Line:
Video games. Emphasis on the Origin website. Emphasis on free-online / social tools.

Various Nonsense:
images and shit forthcoming

Henroid on

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Battlefield 3 might actually win out over COD this time...

NotYou on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    As I said in the E3 main thread... If Overstrike has 4 player co-op where each of the characters has an even sightly unique playstyle/ability loadout (so that playing it can look like the trailer), I am sold on day 1.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Battlefield 3 was amazing. love that stuff

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    the demo wandered through hte desert for too fucking long, but it looked gorgeous.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    EA sure are pushing Origin.

Peewi on
  • Options
    OtsegoOtsego Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I missed this conference. Did they mention anything about franchise mode in Madden 12?

Otsego on
    mastersword.jpg
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Talk about setting the bar visually.

Wish I could see the entire Blur trailer for TOR.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hey its war, can't start in the middle of the firefight.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's a game, yes you can.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Only way we're seeing anything look better graphically than Battlefield 3 at this year's E3 is if someone REALLY put some work into a Project Cafe game.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Battlefield 3 looked pretty, but turret sequences are shit ways to demo a game to people. Plus, it's easier to script. So for now, this game is all bark and no bite for me.

Henroid on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    thanks for the summary, OP. I couldn't find and good info anywhere condensed as such.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I may not be big into shooters anymore, but the engine they've got BF3 running on is amazing. Powered by faerie magic and dreams.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Sims Social was very fucking weird, by the way. All of a sudden, shit people were critical about ("PEOPLE ONLINE AREN'T REAL") is becoming acceptable.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Was there any word of NHL 12?

Masked_Mullet on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I must've been the only one to notice that in the single player tank in the desert BF3 demo that the huge plumes of smoke in the distance was actually in the distance and not something animated on the skybox.

Granted we all know how huge Battlefield maps can get but still, the idea of being that asshole in a tank hiding in the smoke killing everyone cause they're too dumb to use thermal is appealing to me.

Also the sound was awesome, not bad for pre-alpha apparently.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I must've been the only one to notice that in the single player tank in the desert BF3 demo that the huge plumes of smoke in the distance was actually in the distance and not something animated on the skybox.

Granted we all know how huge Battlefield maps can get but still, the idea of being that asshole in a tank hiding in the smoke killing everyone cause they're too dumb to use thermal is appealing to me.

Also the sound was awesome, not bad for pre-alpha apparently.

nope, i noticed it too and was just as mesmerized.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Battlefield is not my bag but graphically it's so nice.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Battlefield is not my bag but graphically it's so nice.

It's the first game in a while, since maybe Gears of War 1, that has looked head and shoulders above everything else at the show. It looks next gen. That's what next gen console games will look like.

That said, it was just driving across the desert in an Abrams. Not only have I done that in games for years but I've done it for real, so it's a little played out.

All style no substance? Well it definitely has a flavour to it, the Battlefield games. But I think it sits in the awkward middle ground between a full on sim, something akin to a hyper real Arma or an Il-2 on foot, and the Jerry Bruckheimer fuckfest that is COD.

Personally, I think if you're going to do a war game these days you have to make a Jerry Bruckheimer fuckfest. Because everything else looks a little flat by comparison and that's what most people want.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    No mention of Dead Space 3? /sadface (I know DS2 hasn't been out that long but still)

powersurge on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Damn it Bioware, just give us a fucking release date for SW:TOR already!

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What is this Reckoning and will it distract me from Mass Effect, Saints Row the 3rd and Skyrim.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Reckoning is the Curt Schilling game. He's formed a team of awesome people to make a game that combines Gears of War and Oblivion into one which will eventually set the stage for an MMO down the line. 100,000 years of lore or some such was written in preparation for this universe and Reckoning takes place at some point during that.

Also, playing a magic dude is pretty bad ass.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I know it's probably coincidence, but I got a kick out of this.
    SGiEQ.jpg

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dinosaurs are indeed not balanced for lean.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    SGiEQ.jpg

Wait where is that first picture from?

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    SGiEQ.jpg

Wait where is that first picture from?

The BF3 live demo.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So am I the only person excited for Insomniac's Overstrike? Looks like it could be a lot of fun and it's on the 360 so there's something new.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ninjabear wrote: »
    So am I the only person excited for Insomniac's Overstrike? Looks like it could be a lot of fun and it's on the 360 so there's something new.

It's on my wait and see list. Lack of gameplay makes it hard to judge.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID