As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Beautiful Katamari (PS3/360)

• Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    im just having a hard time grasping why the naysayers are...naysaying.

katamari, we <3 katamari = great games that required dual analog
    psp katamari = not the best game on a portable with a single analog nub
    ps3 and 360 = much more powerful than ps2, and both have dual analog controllers

yeah, the creator might not be behind this one, but its not like everyone else involved forgot how they made the first two.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    Houk wrote: »
    Imran wrote: »
    I'm concerned with what the original creator wants insofar as his involvement in the actual project. He didn't want to make We <3 Katamari, but he still did and enjoyed making it at the end of the day. We <3 Katamari was a good game. He wasn't involved in the PSP version, which felt like a fan-game and just plain wasn't as fun or had the personality of the PS2 titles. If the PS3/360 versions are like that, it actually might be better to retire the series, because it's probably never going to get as good as the PS2 games again.
    Eh. The PSP version sucked either because he wasnt involved, or because the PSP was a shitty platform for it. The music on WLK was way better than the PSP version too, and im pretty sure he didn't write and perform the music himself. now if i play the next-gen version and they suck, thats it. but i remain hopeful.

You win.

Really, some games aren't suited to handheld gaming. I definitely feel like Katamari is among those games.
    I don't know if it's "not suited for handheld gaming" so much as "not suitable for a handheld with one analog stick."

Well, I mean in that the most fun levels (for me, at least) are the ones you can play either without time limits, for like 20+ minutes, when I can just relax and roll stuff up, so it doesn't really make sense, to me, to use a handheld for such purposes.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/18/beautiful-katamari-damacy-confirmed-for-ps3-and-xbox-360-not-wii/

They want to make Katamari games for PC and DS eventually, and are concerned about making it for Wii because they're scared of the waggle.

bruin on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    How about the folks who feel that Katamari was special because it was unique just not play this one?

Personally, I dislike violent shooting games, etc. I'll play one or two of the well made ones, but Katamari type games are more of what I want to be playing more often. With hundreds of shooters and racers out here, what's the harm in a fourth katamari game? No one is forcing you to play it if you don't want to.

And personally, I liked Katamari PSP for what it was. it wasn't as good as the console games, no, but it was portable, and easy to play in bursts.

Evander on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I want KatamarWii!
    And maybe I'll rent the 360 version.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I would buy this...HD Katamari would look very nice.(So smooth and round)
    I'm a total sucker for these games...bigger maps and bigger Katamari? Yes please.8-)

"While retaining the general look of previous entries, the move to the new platforms makes possible improvements to the technical areas of the game. Stages are larger and include more junk to add to your growing katamari. One screen in Famitsu shows a katamari rising above 7,000 kilometers, on its way to the 10,000 km mark (yes, it nearly covers the entire Earth at this point)." -IGN

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm bumping this thread because of the features on the new OXM disc (just look atthe tiny representation of my gamertag)

The video of the game in actionis neat. It basically looks like more of the same, maybe a tiny bit crisper. they purposefully kept the same art-style, using higher graphical power, instead, to have more objects.

Evander on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Scotty wrote: »
    I'm a total sucker for these games...bigger maps and bigger Katamari? Yes please.8-)

"While retaining the general look of previous entries, the move to the new platforms makes possible improvements to the technical areas of the game. Stages are larger and include more junk to add to your growing katamari. One screen in Famitsu shows a katamari rising above 7,000 kilometers, on its way to the 10,000 km mark (yes, it nearly covers the entire Earth at this point)." -IGN

I want a mode that goes from like 5mm to 10,000km. WANT. Also sixaxis support could be really cool, but the fact that the same game is multiplatform with the 360 means we might not get anything cool with this :(

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »

I want a mode that goes from like 5mm to 10,000km. WANT. Also sixaxis support could be really cool, but the fact that the same game is multiplatform with the 360 means we might not get anything cool with this :(

Actually, the OXM video made it look like they plan to impliment THREEAXIS controlls, somehow. They were talking about finishing and releasing the 360 version first (sorry, I know) and THEN focussing on adding a little bit more to the PS3 version with the THREEAXIS controls.

They also mentioned the online multiplayer, and the potential of downloadable cousins and/or stages.

Also, on a more somber note, the topic of in game advertisements came up. The immediate comment was that this game was not suited for them, and they would keep them out, but right at the end, the guy mentions that they might allow in game ads that keep the feel of the game world (so, at least we know we're not going to have to roll up a gratuitous pair of Nike Air Jordans.)

Evander on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Evander wrote: »

Actually, the OXM video made it look like they plan to impliment THREEAXIS controlls, somehow. They were talking about finishing and releasing the 360 version first (sorry, I know) and THEN focussing on adding a little bit more to the PS3 version with the THREEAXIS controls.

They also mentioned the online multiplayer, and the potential of downloadable cousins and/or stages.

Also, on a more somber note, the topic of in game advertisements came up. The immediate comment was that this game was not suited for them, and they would keep them out, but right at the end, the guy mentions that they might allow in game ads that keep the feel of the game world (so, at least we know we're not going to have to roll up a gratuitous pair of Nike Air Jordans.)

Achievement Unlocked: marketing whore (50pts)

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

i'm wondering what exactly they could advertise that wouldnt feel 'out of place'? erasers and kid's toys?

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

i'm wondering what exactly they could advertise that wouldnt feel 'out of place'? erasers and kid's toys?

Depends, as long as it wasn't too obnoxious and they only put it in size appropriate levels (ie nike shoes show up in the house, but a giant pair of nike shoes don't show up at 1000m) I'd rather they didn't but it wouldn't bother me that much.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I think itwas more along the lines of designing ads (like on signs and billboards) that would fit the artistic direction and feel of the game itself

edit: there have already been randomsignsand billboards in all versions of thegame, so it's not like they'd be adding something new there.

Evander on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Katamari is the kind of game that I think can really benefit from new installments coming out on new platforms. Systems like the 360 and PS3 can allow a larger sense of scale and a better transition between small and large worlds. Systems like the Wii and PS3 can allow interesting changes to the control scheme.

However, I don't think Katamari is the kind of franchise that needs multiple releases within a console life-cycle. I really want to play a Katamari game on the PS3, I just don't want to play 2-4 of them.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Dirty wrote: »
    Katamari is the kind of game that I think can really benefit from new installments coming out on new platforms. Systems like the 360 and PS3 can allow a larger sense of scale and a better transition between small and large worlds. Systems like the Wii and PS3 can allow interesting changes to the control scheme.

However, I don't think Katamari is the kind of franchise that needs multiple releases within a console life-cycle. I really want to play a Katamari game on the PS3, I just don't want to play 2-4 of them.

Like I said on the last page, folks who don't want to play sequels don't have to buy them. Personally, I like having new levels to play every once in awhile.

Of course, they mentioned DLC in the video, as I mentioned, so there may be no need for multiple sequels.

Evander on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Katamari is a game that I will not spend $60 on.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Zek wrote: »

because it's not worth it, or because thefirst onewas only twentybucks.

I mean, I'm not sayingthat I think the price pointisokay, butwhat games ARE worth sixtybucks to you?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Eh, I would. If only because I've spent more time on We <3 Katamari then I have several $60 game purchases.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I mean, I'm not saying that I think the price point is okay, but what games ARE worth sixty bucks to you?

Fixed, dude, sticky space bar?

LockeCole on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    me either. but i have a feeling i wont have to, considering what kind of price-point the first ones were at.

if they do go full retail, theyre gonna hafta make one hell of a case for me to consider it.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I've spent $70 so far on Katamari games (not counting soundtracks)

I'd rather not pay $60 for the next one, buti'll still do it.

Evander on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Was We Love Katamari $20 too? It was full-price in the UK.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh, I definitely will not pay $60 for Katamari. $30 was pushing it.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I mean, I'm not saying that I think the price point is okay, but what games ARE worth sixty bucks to you?

Fixed, dude, sticky space bar?

heh

my work laptop. the space bar only works half the time, and because i'm supposed to be being productive right now, I can't justify taking the time to proofread my posts.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    WLK was $30 in the US, and considering what was added, it was plenty worth it.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

it was $30,and people bitched and moaned, but they still paid it.

The first Katamari wasn't bargain priced because it is less of a game thatfull priced games are; it was bargain priced because Namco was convinced that no Western gamers would have ANY interest in it at all for $50 bucks. The popularity of Katamari, and it's subsequent sequels, have shown that it will still sell at regular prices, so it onlymakes sense that it will come outfull priced.

Evander on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I'm thinking stuff like how the Duracells showed up in Pikmin 2 -- really goofy, tongue-in-cheek descriptions and comments from the King would help defuse a lot of the sting of them, although I'm not foolish enough to expect in-game ads to be too subtle.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I'm thinking stuff like how the Duracells showed up in Pikmin 2 -- really goofy, tongue-in-cheek descriptions and comments from the King would help defuse a lot of the sting of them, although I'm not foolish enough to expect in-game ads to be too subtle.
    i actually really liked all the name-brand stuff in pikmin. it felt appropriate for them to find that stuff, and the descriptions made it all worthwhile. i wouldn't be upset at all if they did the same for this.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Or what if the king was the Burger King king?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

That would ALMOST be worth it.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

i actually really liked all the name-brand stuff in pikmin. it felt appropriate for them to find that stuff, and the descriptions made it all worthwhile. i wouldn't be upset at all if they did the same for this.
    Yeah, this is one of the few games that I'd actually say, "That makes a lot of sense." Especially if they were able to use that to bring the game down to a "budget" release price, although I'm still not happy with the inflation of 360/PS3's "budget" prices. :P

I never picked up the PSP Katamari, but if a 360 version could seamlessly scale the world upward and keep things smooth I'd definitely check it out.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

That would ALMOST be worth it.

you're making me sad

:(

I am reallyhappy to have my "King of All Cosmos" gamer pic, though.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    honestly, though, I want to hear more aboutthe potential DLC

Evander on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

You'll regret it when you have to play through a "roll up the largest possible in-game advertisement" stage.

jothki on
  • Options
    Manic205Manic205 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

because it's not worth it, or because thefirst onewas only twentybucks.

I mean, I'm not sayingthat I think the price pointisokay, butwhat games ARE worth sixtybucks to you?

A game that doesn't run on quirkiness alone?

The game became quite repetitive after the first 9 minutes or so... Seems to me like a great game to play on a break at work, but definitely not a game you'd keep in your home console for any good amount of time.

Edit: I guess it depends on what they're doing with the online multiplayer.

Manic205 on
    1365887IzMnK.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    jothki wrote: »

You'll regret it when you have to play through a "roll up the largest possible in-game advertisement" stage.
    with a little forethought, that could actually be kinda cool. work your way up from mcd's french fries, to chicken nuggets, to hamburgers, to quarter pounders, to large drinks, to deep fryers, to the golden arches themselves.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Manic205 wrote: »
    The game became quite repetitive after the first 9 minutes or so... Seems to me like a great game to play on a break at work, but definitely not a game you'd keep in your home console for any good amount of time.
    and oddly enough, for many people it was! strange, huh?

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    with a little forethought, that could actually be kinda cool. work your way up from mcd's french fries, to chicken nuggets, to hamburgers, to quarter pounders, to large drinks, to deep fryers, to the customers themselves.

there you go

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Manic205Manic205 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Edit: woops, being a dick, I'll come back to this.

Edit2: I stopped having fun when I realized the gameplay didn't deviate from "roll around to quirky Japanese music" whatsoever. Charming style, quirky King, haw haw, it just failed to carry the game for me like it seemed to for everyone else. It reminded me of a lot of nifty Flash games I've played.

Again, the online component could swing me the other way. I'm imagining Fuzion Frenzy's "Sumo" minigame and a high-definition Katamari city, and it gets me excited.

Manic205 on
    1365887IzMnK.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Edit: woops, being a dick, I'll come back to this.
    i'm just not sure what your point is coming and posting stuff like this. 95% of all games ever are repetitive after even a short while, if you only consider mechanics. if you're saying the presentation is repetitive, well, i couldn't disagree more. it's a pretty clearly-defined path from a very small world, progressing steadily until you're on a global scale of collection. especially in WLK, where you had different characters to collect and missions to accomplish, every area had its own goals and playstyle, and it felt generally fresh every time you picked it up. i honestly have no idea where youre coming from.

Houk the Namebringer on