As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Terraria! Soon with: Criticals! Inventory Management! FAQ: Its a DEMON ALTAR dammit!

MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17NebraskaRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
Logo.png

What is this game? to put it simply, you are given an open world, that is randomly generated, and you explore, build, defend, and destroy!!

1.0.5 is OUT!!
Terraria Update Released
Product Update - Valve
12:51
Updates to Terraria have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

NPCs

New Enemy - Lava slime, this enemy leaves behind lava on death
New Enemy - Hellbat
New Enemy - Demon
New Enemy - Jellyfish (Two variations, Pink and Blue)
New Enemy - Shark
New Enemy - Vulture
New Enemy - Crab
New Enemy - Antlion
Changed the way worm enemies spawn.
Bats, Hornets, and Eyeballs no longer enter water.
Slimes now float in water.
Only one giant slime will appear at a time.
The Guide now seems quite knowledgeable in what an item can be made into if you show it to him.
NPC shops now sell some items on certain nights, or after certain events.
Devourers should no longer gain random other enemies as its head.
The Nurse now charges the correct amount for healing.
Bats now have a death sound effect.
Talking to the old man at night will give the player a warning now before summoning the dungeon boss.
Entering the dungeon before defeating Skeletron now spawns a new NPC instead of Skeletron’s head. This should fix several issues with that event.
Enemy coin drops have been adjusted.
Man Eaters and Snatchers are no longer effected by knockback and can attack through walls.
Eater of Souls’ and Hornet AI has been improved.
Enemies now take up different amount of *slots* depending on AI style and strength. This will help balance conditions when there are lots of strong monsters spawned at once, such as Imps and Bone Serpents.
Fish are no longer upside-down when out of water.
Green slimes have been weakend so that start players can deal with them more easily.
Slimes and Flying enemies no longer make a splash sound when hitting water.
Items of “Blue Rarity” or higher no longer burn up in lava.
Burning Skull has been renamed to Cursed Skull, and given different AI.
Enemy caster’s have had their rate of fire slowed down.
Meteor heads have less health, do more damage, and move slower.
There are now slight size variations to the Eater of Souls and the Angry Bones.
Skeletron has less defense and health.

Items

New Feature : Buffs activated by Using Potions. Right click a buff to remove it from yourself.
New Item : Hellfire Arrow.
New Item : Sandgun.
New Item : Guide Voodoo Doll.
New Vanity Items : Familiar Wig, Shirt, Pants to be worn in Social slots to “Hide your Armor”.
New Vanity Items : Doctors Shirt and Pants.
New Item : Diving Helmet.
New Item : Night’s Edge
New Item : Dark Lance
New Item : Demon Scythe
New Item : Trident
New Item : Coral
New Item : Cactus
New Item : Spear
New Item : Glowstick
New Item : Sticky Glowstick
New Item : Throwing Knife
New Item : Poison Knife
New Item : Silver Bullet
New Item : Wooden Boomerang
New Item : Blowpipe
New Item : Seed (Ammo for Blowpipe)
New Item : Obsidian Skin Potion
New Item : Regeneration Potion
New Item : Swiftness Potion
New Item : Gills Potion
New Item : Defense Potion
New Item : Mana Regeneration Potion
New Item : Magic Power Potion
New Item : Featherfall potion
New Item : Spelunker Potion
New Item : Invisibility Potion
New Item : Shine Potion
New Item : Night Owl Potion
New Item : Battle Potion
New Item : Thorns Potion
New Item : Archery Potion
New Item : Water Walking Potion
New Item : Hunter Potion
New Item : Gravitation Potion
New Item : Daybloom
New Item : Daybloom Seeds
New Item : Moonglow
New Item : Moonglow Seeds
New Item : Blinkroot
New Item : Blinkroot Seeds
New Item : Deathweed
New Item : Deathweed Seeds
New Item : Waterleaf
New Item : Waterleaf Seeds
New Item : Fireblossom
New Item : Fireblossom Seeds
New Item : Shark Fin
New Item : Feather
New Item : Gold Chest
New Item : Bottled Water
New Item : Tombstone
New Item : Illegal Gun Parts
New Item : Antlion Mandible
The Silver Short swords recipe has been corrected, it is now craftable.
Torches and candles no longer work when wet.
Destroying a placed sign while you are reading it will no longer cause your character to become frozen.
Rocket boots no longer require mana. They will provide lift for 1 second and recharge every time the player touches the ground or uses grapple. Lift speed has been slightly increased to offset loss of long flights. This makes the boots more viable for caster Characters.
The explosion animation for bombs is now correctly displayed in multiplayer.
There is now a message pop-up when the player receives an item.
Filled Buckets may no longer be emptied into solid ground.
Pots in the underworld now have a chance to drop hellfire arrows.
Handgun and Phoenix Blaster have been reduced in size.
Lowered the knockback of Muramasa.
Reduced the damage of the Blue Moon.
Flintlock Pistol and Musket have increased damage.
Only normal trees drop acorns.
Falling sand clumps are no longer carried by magic missiles/flamelash.
Jungle armor is no longer a drop. It is a craftable set.
Magic Mirror now requires mana to be used.
Harpoon and Maces now correctly show the player’s arm animation.
The arms dealer will sell unholy arrows at night after the Eater of Worlds has been defeated.
Space Gun does more damage, but only penetrates 2 enemies.

Server

Spam detection is less aggressive.
Increase multiplayer security.
Fixed a bug that could crash the server when the max amount of clients are connected.
Added an option to enable additional cheat protection for servers.
Servers now hibernate when no players are connected.
Blood Moons now stop correctly if time is changed to day by the server.

Game Interface

Upon death, A more specific death message will appear for other players, so they know how you died.
The crafting and armor interface text will fade out when an item tooltip is in front of it.
The Hot Bar now shows the name of the selected item.
PVP now requires 5 seconds between Activation and Deactivation and visa versa to prevent PVP spam. The same cooldown is in effect for Team Changing as well.
Added hotkeys for quickly drinking healing, mana, and buff potions.The healing/mana potion you use is based on the same principle arrows are. Top-Left most item first. The buff potions are all used at once.
Holding right click on an empty space in the inventory will no longer make a sound effect as if something was there to be picked up.
Defense totals are now shown in your inventory.

World Gen

Tweaked the way sand is created during world gen. (Requires new world.)
Oceans are now slightly larger and generation layout has been improved. (Requires new world.)
Cactus now grow on sand.
Coral now grows in the ocean.
Chests can now spawn near the surface of the world. They will contain treasure that new players may find useful. (Requires new world.)
Chests and pots now contain loot based on the level they spawn in. (Requires new world.)
Gold chests will now spawn in some parts of the world. (Requires new world.)
Corrupt chasms have less of a chance to spawn on jungles. They also now have a cave connecting most of the chasms. (Requires new world.
Traces of demonite are created during world gen. (Requires new world.
Surface jungles have been enlarged, and will override deserts. (Requires new world.
Servers!
Archon's :72.45.30.219
Diannachong's : diannaochong.dyndns.org
Vic's : 212.181.174.57
Agent Propagandi's Uk madness server! mmo.x44.co.uk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1EgEnivvkY

Fight giant bosses!!
ss11.png

Explore caves!!
ss12.png

Try not to die!!
6M9jS.png

http://www.terraria.org/

This website is very sparse, but the video makes me kind of excited for it, what do you guys think?

There are now a pantload of threads on reddit, and lets plays on youtube to watch about the base gameplay.

its out now!! buy it on steam for only 9.99!!

having trouble with your first night? heres a tutorial video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVs7ETVsgRc

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
Mighty on

• MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Finally beat Skeletron last night with 3 game-minutes of night time to spare. Talk about a WHOOO! moment. Waltzed into the Dungeon and was underwhelmed with the difference in difficulty between getting in there, and then just slapping skeletons around to pick up loot from chests...in which the very last one I found had a Muramasa in it.

I know Skeletron is pretty much the price of entry, and the rest is fluff, but man I was hoping there was some more "epicness" to the rest of the dungeon (E: you know, other than the loot).

Now to find the Underground Jungle and then strut around Hell and mine.

MonkeyConQueso on
    PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    I have made a hellevator!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does your hellevator have express and slow lanes?

On my solo world I had a blood moon pop up, along with Eye of Cthulhu spawning. Manage those two and started seeing warnings that a goblin invasion was approaching. Didn't have time to deal with the goblins, so I saved out. Returned and the goblin invasion was just waiting for me.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Has anyone tried to remove every block in a level?

I know it's a pointlessly herculean task, but I'm pretty much out of stuff to do and I really feel like taking this smug, Small world down a peg...or a thousand.

hatedinamerica on
  • Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you're out of things to do, start a new character and give yourself a challenge, like...play through without ever upgrading your tools or something.

Ginger Mijango on
  • ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I just fell through the scenery on DC's server.

ColorlessGreen on
    Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thank you forums, for eating my awesome and well thought out post.

Also, I don't think it's possible to go through the game without upgrading your tools. You'll get blocked sooner or later because you won't be able to mine any more.

L Ron Howard on
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm realatively new to the game so please forgive me if this has been addressed in the past, but is there a way to mass remove background wall other than tediously and slowly hammering individual blocks? I'd have to say the biggest block to really loving this game is the tedium of removing dirt walls.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nope!

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rami wrote: »
    Nope!

That's a damn shame. Guess I'll have to shift from "epic underground/water fortress" to "lame surface hut" for now. Spending 2 hours chipping away at walls and then another 2 relaying them in a different material is totally not worth it.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Doesn't dynamite remove backtiles aswell? as long as the explosion happens in a crack.

Ginger Mijango on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah well, I just put up over 5000 wall tiles.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tag wrote: »
    Rami wrote: »
    Nope!

That's a damn shame. Guess I'll have to shift from "epic underground/water fortress" to "lame surface hut" for now. Spending 2 hours chipping away at walls and then another 2 relaying them in a different material is totally not worth it.

Once you dig down to dirt with the bits of rock in it you can place the background tiles over it without having to remove the original ones I do believe.

Renegade Wolf on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They really need to just let us do that for the regular dirt tiles also.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I'm a notorious wimp when it comes to spookiness in games, even cartoonish ones. So, when I get the 'you feel an evil presence watching you' message, and I'm deep in the dark cavernous bowels of the earth, that's an immediate Save & Quit / hide under blanket.
    ;-;

I've had this game for two days, and even though I feel like I've played forever, I still don't have any good gear.
    I made the mistake of making a large world my first try, and I can't seem to make it to my dungeon. I walked through corruption for a full day/night cycle with no end in sight. :(
    (Then promptly fell to my death. Boo)

Farout Foolio on
    2tyFzTC.png

• AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wouldn't even hang out around Corruption without a grappling hook. Or an absolute shitload of wooden platforms, I suppose.

Alecthar on
    edited June 2011
    Lucky horseshoe is my method of chasm exploration. Wheeeeeeee.

Do need that grapple hook to get back up though.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Enig wrote: »
    Lucky horseshoe is my method of chasm exploration. Wheeeeeeee.

Do need that grapple hook to get back up though.

Now that the double jump on Cloud in a Bottle can prevent you from insta-gibbing at the end of a drop, I've been using that.

However, the piles of entrails at the bottom of certain chasms does seem to indicate that my timing isn't always the best.

Alecthar on
  • StonecutterStonecutter Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I'm a notorious wimp when it comes to spookiness in games, even cartoonish ones. So, when I get the 'you feel an evil presence watching you' message, and I'm deep in the dark cavernous bowels of the earth, that's an immediate Save & Quit / hide under blanket.
    ;-;

I've had this game for two days, and even though I feel like I've played forever, I still don't have any good gear.
    I made the mistake of making a large world my first try, and I can't seem to make it to my dungeon. I walked through corruption for a full day/night cycle with no end in sight. :(
    (Then promptly fell to my death. Boo)

I didn't fight Skeletron for like a week after I was at a level I was sure I could beat him at, because I found his eyes to be terrifying.

Stonecutter on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Guys what on earth is this server port thing it's asking me for?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just picked up this game last night and played until morning. This game is amazing for the price.

I have a mix of iron and copper armor and an iron sword. I have the merchant and the guide in my village.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do at this point? I've been digging a shaft straight down and didn't know if I should risk going too deep at this point.

Noxy on
  • Arioch25Arioch25 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I picked this up on Thursday and have been spending every second I can playing.

I initially started a small world got a ton of stuff all the way to molten full equipment. Decided I wanted to start over in a large world from scratch.

Still having a blast but I've learned a lot. One of the things that helped immensely was spotting floating islands. The first thing I did on the new large map was look for above ground outcroppings of clay. 99% of the time if you build up from their you will find a floating island.

This pic shows what I mean.
    L6f2O.png
    The two floating islands to the right just below them have two surface spawns of clay. You can't see the one on the left because it's above the dungeon.

I was able to get the horseshoe, shiny red balloon, and mined enough gold to get a pickaxe. All within the first hour I'd say.

Love it.

Arioch25 on
  • AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you're out of things to do, start a new character and give yourself a challenge, like...play through without ever upgrading your tools or something.

My friend and I have spent way too much time doing this. We've beaten skeletron with characters from scratch with the following rulesets:

Anything goes (no restrictions)

No picks (had to find/buy bombs to excavate ore and open up caverns.. this was the most fun, and as an added bonus we didn't use any swords either)

Magic and picks only (no weapons that didn't require mana to use.. this was brutal at the start. no axes, so we had to find bombs and use them to knock down trees)

I can't wait for the higher difficulty worlds to come out, it's just way too easy to become an untouchable demigod as it is.

Atheraal on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wow, nice Arioch.

I'm an extreme dolt at this, as I was with MC, but I still have fun.

Decoy on
    edited June 2011
    Arthil wrote: »

Default port is 7777. If someone sets up a different one, they will probably specify.

As to what a port is, think address to communicate. IP address gets you to the spot and the port is one of 65K conversations.

Start here and then go work for cisco, juniper, huwaei... :)

grouch993 on
    edited June 2011
    Fonjo wrote: »
    I just picked up this game last night and played until morning. This game is amazing for the price.

I have a mix of iron and copper armor and an iron sword. I have the merchant and the guide in my village.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do at this point? I've been digging a shaft straight down and didn't know if I should risk going too deep at this point.

Risk it! If you think you might die a lot, just toss your gold coins in your chest at home so they are safe.

You need gold ore for your new armor. After you get some gold stuff the next step would be Cthulu and Eater of Worlds for a Nightmare Pickaxe (and misc shadow gear) so you can progress to Meteorite and beyond. Also, once you can handle the corruption areas, do some chasm diving and break shadow orbs.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    grouch993 wrote: »
    Arthil wrote: »

Default port is 7777. If someone sets up a different one, they will probably specify.

As to what a port is, think address to communicate. IP address gets you to the spot and the port is one of 65K conversations.

Start here and then go work for cisco, juniper, huwaei... :)

I know what a port -IS- I just couldn't help but wonder why it was suddenly needed xP. Thanks for the tip though.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited June 2011
    I spent a lot of time exploring caverns and trying to get a hook to drop from a skeleton.

I also watched the LPs from Blue and Redigit before starting to play, so there wasn't a lot of clicking through the guides comments to figure out what to do next.

*edit* Yeah, sorry. Hard to tell what people do know and don't. They moved the port from the default value to another, and then allowed it to be set. Also changed it so DNS resolution works. Now we need a favorites list and even higher resolutions. I am back to using romterraria to get 2560x1440.

grouch993 on
    edited June 2011
    Arioch, what did you use to make that map of the world? I need neeeeeed to have it!

I'm sure this is old but I found out that if you pour a bucket of water below you and then drop down into the falling water in mid-air you will fall in slow-mo.

Like you have a hellevator or a chasm, pour a bucket of water down and you can glide through to the end without taking fall damage.

Honk on
    edited June 2011
    Another great thing was that when I was making my hellevator I wanted to make the top of it be high up in the air - so that the drop would be spectacularly huge. So I started building a tower upwards and just randomly bumped into a floating island.

I got the balloon there, and later when digging downward I came across two heart upgrades, the cloud in a bottle and a hook. Good stuff!

Honk on
    edited June 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    Arioch, what did you use to make that map of the world? I need neeeeeed to have it!

http://terrariaworldviewer.codeplex.com/

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited June 2011
    Arioch, what did you use to make that map of the world? I need neeeeeed to have it!.

It's called Terraria Map Viewer, google can help you there (first result) but I won't post it since some people think it ruins the game.

I use it when I'm looking for something very specific and don't want to spend 10 hours looking for it, I also turn off all the symbols/legend stuff, but that's me.

Arioch25 on
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm really enjoying this game, but I have a few criticisms.

It can be brutally hard to start learning to play this game. After dying numerous times to zombies because "walls" didn't seem to prevent anything from walking through them, I finally went to youtube and watched some tutorials. The guide is worthless because he tells you what to do, but doesn't tell you how (such as basic construction). I understand that there is an element of discovery to the game, but if the first thing players do is google how to play, you're doing it wrong.

Recipes for crafting are also shown only if you happen to be carrying the items needed to complete the recipe. It would be extremely helpful to have a "cookbook" of recipes you've discovered such that you can look through it without having to get on a wiki to remember which items you need to pull out of storage to complete a widget.

El Guaco on
    edited June 2011
    Thanks a bunch guys!

Honk on
    edited June 2011
    Is it possible to LAN this game?

Honk on
  • ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is it possible to LAN this game?

Presumably just entering a local IP address should work just fine.

ColorlessGreen on
    Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
    edited June 2011
    So, I've progressed a bit but still have hit a few impasses:

1) I've broken two shadow orbs but cannot for the life of me find the crashed meteorite. :(
    2) Trying to enter the hell layer (3000 +) is pretty much insta death due to being hurt by all the surfaces
    3) 3/4 of the shadow orbs I find are just out of reach! And since I can't find the meteorite I can't break the blocks to get them. >:0
    4) Eye of C'thulu has spawned and I'm nowhere near strong enough to fight him. ;-; Can someone help me kill him?

So, sadly I'm sort of stuck at a point where I'm finding it really hard to get any new/better gear.

Farout Foolio on
    2tyFzTC.png

edited June 2011
    So, I've progressed a bit but still have hit a few impasses:

1) I've broken two shadow orbs but cannot for the life of me find the crashed meteorite. :(
    2) Trying to enter the hell layer (3000 +) is pretty much insta death due to being hurt by all the surfaces
    3) 3/4 of the shadow orbs I find are just out of reach! And since I can't find the meteorite I can't break the blocks to get them. >:0
    4) Eye of C'thulu has spawned and I'm nowhere near strong enough to fight him. ;-; Can someone help me kill him?

So, sadly I'm sort of stuck at a point where I'm finding it really hard to get any new/better gear.

1. You can tell it landed because you will get a message saying the meteor has hit ground. It's somewhere across the surface if you have received the message.

2. You need to create an obsidian skull to stand on top of meteorite and hellstone, which you craft out of obsidian = Lava + Water.

3. Dynamite works against ebonstone aka corruption stone

4. Easiest/cheapest way is to get a ton of shrukiens and you should have 10 hearts or so plus plenty of potions.

Arioch25 on
    edited June 2011
    Think I had a pile of lesser potions, about 140 shurikens, and a mismatch of different gear when first going against the Eye. Died a couple times, but fought him close to the spawn point so was able to drop him during night time.

Don't think I had the 10 hearts though. Maybe five?

grouch993 on
    edited June 2011
    I found a magic boomerang in a chest! And I used it to kill The Eye! :^D
    AWwwwwww Yyyeeaaaaahh

Farout Foolio on
    2tyFzTC.png