As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DmC: Devil May Cry - Ignore the OP/outrage, it's pretty damn good.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Yes, it's not Dante, but it's also not supposed to be since it's not part of the actual main Devil May Cry franchise. Capcom has said this numerous times and that there's a damn good chance of a proper Devil May Cry 5 coming.

Where has Capcom said this? It's the first time I've read it.

Burnage on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Woo, Glitch Mob. First the Captain America trailer and now this.

Doesn't look as sketchy as it did last year. A definite improvement.

Renzo on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Burnage wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Yes, it's not Dante, but it's also not supposed to be since it's not part of the actual main Devil May Cry franchise. Capcom has said this numerous times and that there's a damn good chance of a proper Devil May Cry 5 coming.

Where has Capcom said this? It's the first time I've read it.

If they've said it, they've not said it in any interviews i've read. As far as I know, this is a full on series reboot.

Also, how anyone could hate Inafune, the guy who helped get Megaman, Dead Rising, and Onimusha out, is beyond me.

As for me being a fan-boy. Maybe you should read your own posts, TOG.

I really do not give that much of a shit about the series, outside of the fact that i've seen where this "reboot" song and dance usually leads to. Which is typically a series cancellation thanks to higher ups in the company thinking pissed off fans not picking a rebooted series up, constitutes a "failed series".

If you spent a little bit less time being an ass toward's other folks and posting shit like this:
    You guys are crying because Dante isn't Dante. Boo fucking hoo, grow up kiddos, welcome to the wonderful world of the damage Keiji Inafune was doing before he quit Capcom.

You're just hating just to shit the thread up at this point.

Prior sections bolded since I know nerdraging fanboys have a hard time reading entire posts.

And more time actually using your reading comprehension abilities, you might realize that most folks on here aren't slavering console fanboys, or something of the like, like you think they are.

Given some of the stuff Ninja Theory has shown off about the game so far, folks are probably more then a bit entitled to be confused, and a bit irritated about what's going on.

All that being said. I do like the aerial combat. It looks like an improvement over the previous installments.

Also, the guns look a hell of a lot "weightier" then DMC 3 or 4's guns. That's probably because Coke-Dante is firing what appears to be tracers out of his guns with every round. So at least they kept some of the "Rule of Cool" concepts that made up the previous games. That seems like such an obvious thing to add in, it makes me wonder why noone thought of it before.

Archonex on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I thought the story of this was a prequel/reboot where 'Dante' breaks out of a mental asylum because of the demon thing. Except demons were of course real and no one else could see it. The Tony redgrave thing being his real name would support that.

Maybe that was just something thrown around way back though.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    More than anything, I'm just really confused. Of all the characters in the greater gaming canon to redesign from the ground up, you pick Dante? Really?

I mean, it can't be that Capcom just doesn't know what the hell they're doing. In MvC 3, while the RE cast and Spencer are all taken from their most recent incarnations, they still stepped back to DMC 3 for the Dante everybody loves. They have to know what we want from Dante.

Will say, though, that I love how the central theme of this one is apparently "don't accept your reality, angst angst." That's certainly what the fanbase is going though. Nobody is accepting you as Dante, kiddo.

Psycohed on
    brig_banner.png
    edited June 2011
    MrPsycohed wrote: »
    More than anything, I'm just really confused. Of all the characters in the greater gaming canon to redesign from the ground up, you pick Dante? Really?

I mean, it can't be that Capcom just doesn't know what the hell they're doing. In MvC 3, while the RE cast and Spencer are all taken from their most recent incarnations, they still stepped back to DMC 3 for the Dante everybody loves. They have to know what we want from Dante.

Will say, though, that I love how the central theme of this one is apparently "don't accept your reality, angst angst." That's certainly what the fanbase is going though. Nobody is accepting you as Dante, kiddo.

I have to admit, i'll crack up if the game comes out, and this is Dante in Hell
    Post DMC2
    going through whatever the heck happened to
    break Vergil
    and trying to fight it off.

Meaning the trailers are just Ninja Theory trolling the shit out of the playerbase, and all the "don't accept this reality" teasers are meta as all hell.

It'd also explain the weird demon design. From what I can tell, they've gone from being somewhat stylized (Grim reapers, crazy toad demons, sand demons that warp through space, and such.) to looking like they came straight out of Dead Space.

I kind of doubt that's what's happening here, though.

Archonex on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Archonex wrote: »

Post DMC2
    break Vergil

Meaning the trailers are just Ninja Theory trolling the shit out of the playerbase, and all the "don't accept this reality" teasers are meta as all hell.

It'd also explain the weird demon design. From what I can tell, they've gone from being somewhat stylized (Grim reapers, crazy toad demons, sand demons that warp through space, and such.) to looking like they came straight out of Dead Space.

It would be cool if this was
    Vergil running around in hell
    but that doesn't help the fact that it still looks pretty bland. That is also putting way too much credit on a development team that let's face it hasn't made anything memorable or overly good.

I mean there could be an MGS2 style twist in here but that is just more credit then I am willing to give them.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Post DMC2
    break Vergil

That would be fucking amazing.

That's not what's going on, though.

Monger on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Barrabas wrote: »
    Monger wrote: »
    Oh Jesus, who would have thought the hardcore fandom would look back to DMC4 like it was the good old days. :lol
    DMC4 is great. You shut your mouth.

DMC4 had serious issues with repetitive environments and bosses. I don't think a game has done worse on those points since it. But the combat was fantastic. I was willing to overlook its faults for that.

Oh no, I like DMC4 too, allow me to esplain.

Back when I was on the IGN forums, people shit a colective brick over the fact that Dante was not playable for the whole game and that Nero got Vergil's sword. It was the worst kind of vindictive fanrage even though most of the game (especially the Dante parts) were great.

Now this game comes out and shits all over what 'hardcore' fans love about the series. Namely Dante being the sexy cocky too cool for school hero and turning him into an emo faggot.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Honestly, while Dante's new design is horrible I really don't care about that too much. I mean it was funny to make fun of it but then you had people getting too serious, on both sides, and it stopped being funny. Well, it didn't but whatever.

I'm just worried about NT ability to do good gameplay. I mean...what the trailer showed looked decent but at the same time it's hard to tell what's going on unless you play something like that yourself.

Dragkonias on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Hey, looks like it plays like DMC.

And I don't know, after some time to get used to it, I'm glad they decided to try something new.

this is Ninja Theory

if it's one thing the games Ninja Theory has made are known for, it's that their games play like downs syndrome shit

all that stylish shit dante showed off? that's probably from tapping x/square until your arms get tired and you slip into unconsciousness

Rent on
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Furu wrote: »
    Think it's pretty obvious the alternate reality stuff going on equates to this being Dante in some kind of Matrix-y thing and not knowing he's Dante.

After the way they fucked up Enslaved's story at the end, I really hope that isn't the case here.

Shady3011 on
    edited June 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    It's interesting, but the only thing that matters is the combat.

And again, I impress upon you people that this is Ninja fucking Theory. The moves will look flashy but have no substance, no weight or depth at all. In other words, it'll be completely and utterly counter to the entire point of playing a DMC game

Whenever DmC comes out just play Bayonetta again and sub in your mind Dante. It's easier that way

Rent on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah. I loved Enslaved until I got to the end and everything went stupid.

But even then...the combat wasn't good. It was serviceable but nothing great.

Dragkonias on
  • AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I get that the combat in Ninja Theory's previous games has been pretty bad (well, not bad, but far too stiff and sluggish compared to DMC), but I'm not going to write off the combat in this game I actually get a chance to play it for myself.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    edited June 2011
    AJR wrote: »
    I get that the combat in Ninja Theory's previous games has been pretty bad (well, not bad, but far too stiff and sluggish compared to DMC)

and braindead and broken and has visible lag between your button presses and onscreen actions and boils down to "mash x/square and you win"

Rent on
  • AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yes Rent, calm down. I'm merely suggesting that the people at Ninja Theory have learnt from past mistakes, and whilst I'm not expecting the combat will be amazing, I really doubt it's going to be anywhere near as stiff, laggy and simple as the combat in Enslaved (or Heavenly Sword, which I haven't played).

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    G Rol wrote: »
    I agree that this is a bad trailer, but I'm digging the art design and the reimagining of Dante. Ninja Theory make beautiful games...I'm not sweating it. I don't think the assets used in the trailer were ready for prime time, they should have held back until they could put together something more head turning.

You are digging the new look for Dante?

Jesus christ. He looks like a fucking loser who pays too much attention to his hairstyles.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I hope they play up the urban UK style of the world and the music like they did in the reveal and briefly with some of the stuff like the security camera and graffiti in the trailer. I think that part of the design seems great.

-SPI- on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So me and my friends have a theory.

This is the theory in tl;dr form:

When dante was about 10, his mother was killed by demons. I think this happened in front of him and Vergil. Vergil grabbed whatever was nearby and whooped ass immediately, later becoming power hungry vergil, but Dante kind of pussied out and shut down. That's existing canon (see: the official manga). This game is supposed to be before even dmc3, so we can assume dante is about what, 16? Since his mom died, he's basically been on his own, walking around with fists full of angry and a mind full of fuck, probably being a criminal or mercenary of some kind.
    Unable to cope, and wracked with guilt over not doing anything, especially after discovering he was strong enough TO have done something, he has a psychotic break. The enemies in the game don't exist outside of his mind. Same with his magical transforming weapon. In fact, he's locked up in that facility from the first trailer, experiencing some kind of waking dream, possibly induced by the facility staff, and they're trying to put his mind back together. He isn't actually doing any of these things, but he can. The white hair red coat DT thing shown here probably represents him momentarily getting his shit together. I expect that toward the end of the game, there'll be a real demon catastrophe and he'll get loose, with always white hair and an always red coat.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yes Rent, calm down. I'm merely suggesting that the people at Ninja Theory have learnt from past mistakes, and whilst I'm not expecting the combat will be amazing, I really doubt it's going to be anywhere near as stiff, laggy and simple as the combat in Enslaved (or Heavenly Sword, which I haven't played).

No. All the evidence actually points towards Ninja Theory NOT learning from their past mistakes. All the problems with Heavenly Sword's combat were there in Enslaved. They either don't know or don't care that the genre of games they're trying to make rely on responsive combat systems and a reliable framerate, so instead they put all their focus on long, drawn-out animations because they look pretty.

As someone who actually followed Heavenly Sword quite a bit before it came out, I think Ninja Theory don't have a clue how to design games. All flash (hiring Weta Digital of all companies to do the animation in Heavenly Sword), little substance and it shows in their games. Shitty framerates, shitty gameplay systems but hey, those cutscenes sure are nice.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The best idea I've seen for this game is still someone's suggestion of, essentially, John Constantine in The Hangover. Just a whole game of pseudo-dante drunkenly picking fights with every major figure from semi-judeo-christian mythology.

The ending would be Dante stumbling off his couch and opening a door to all the armies of Hell and Heaven looking at him.

Won't happen, but it would be great.

chiasaur11 on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

No. All the evidence actually points towards Ninja Theory NOT learning from their past mistakes. All the problems with Heavenly Sword's combat were there in Enslaved. They either don't know or don't care that the genre of games they're trying to make rely on responsive combat systems and a reliable framerate, so instead they put all their focus on long, drawn-out animations because they look pretty.

As someone who actually followed Heavenly Sword quite a bit before it came out, I think Ninja Theory don't have a clue how to design games. All flash (hiring Weta Digital of all companies to do the animation in Heavenly Sword), little substance and it shows in their games. Shitty framerates, shitty gameplay systems but hey, those cutscenes sure are nice.

Oh man, yeah, this is probably gonna be a 30fps game, innit? I think getting that high 60fps framerate is one of the ingredients in making your technical brawlers, your DMCs, Ninja Gaidens, Bayonettas, and the like, to "feel" good (among other things, of course).

Zxerol on
    edited June 2011

are you....are you me?

<3

Rent on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rent wrote: »

are you....are you me?

<3

Rent go

:P

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I liked the bits where the guy turned into Dante.

And the weirdness, weirdness is good.

. . . So, when we getting a new Devil May Cry game?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited June 2011
    So according to TVTropes, the whole "series reboot" thing is a load of crap, and this is actually an "origin story". Which is dumb, since they already did an origin story, and Dante was supposed to be white haired from birth (Because he is awesome like that.).

So I don't know what the fuck is going on. There seems to be a disconnect somewhere between what Ninja Theory is doing, and what has actually been established as having happened, and can't be changed.

Also, reposting this, since I saw it on the same page, and I couldn't help but chuckle:

dantej_6823.jpg

Man, if I knew that developer, i'd never let him live that down.

Archonex on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really like Enslaved. It is one of my favorite games.

However, there is not enough goodwill in the world to give me faith in what they're doing here...
    This is straight up murder, and they're smiling while we watch in horror as they drag the knife across Dante's throat.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Basil wrote: »
    . . . So, when we getting a new Devil May Cry game?
    Whenever Kamiya decides to make Bayonetta 2.

Monger on
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dante's health is now the "disaffected" bar and can only be replenished by shopping at Hot Topic.

Walt on
  • AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wow, if some of you are unable to see the changes made to Dante since the reveal you must be blind. They have changed his hair, his face, and his weight. Maybe they didn't change it enough for your likings but you can't whine at them for not responding to criticism (developer insert seems to be gone).

The combat looks ok. As with most brawlers you need to wait until it is out before you can judge it. The graphics need a shitton of work. It's like they were under some massive time constraints to get this out for E3 and just used all the super shit art assets.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So according to TVTropes, the whole "series reboot" thing is a load of crap, and this is actually an "origin story".

Yep. For better or worse, this screams of origin story. Let me guess: there are going to be two worlds, one bleak, oppressive reality, one bleaker with demons only he can see, and in the process of rejecting "reality" he goes from being whatsisface to being Dante. And then he'll join Edward in the fight to protect Bella.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just don't know what to think of this game. I honestly don't. Is weeping the correct response? Is going WTF the correct response? Should I just pray the gameplay is so awesome I can ignore everything else?

I mean, what on earth do I do here?

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    All of this?

It's how I felt when I played the new Bionic Commando.

It still hurts.

Fawst on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, I dunno. I'm going to guess that DmC doesn't have a plot point where
    your arm is really your dead wife

which already makes it at least 0.23 times better than BC.

(God, is that thing even worthy of being spoiler tagged? Fuck it, whatever.)

Zxerol on
    edited June 2011
    You shouldn't spoiler it, everyone should be aware of the hilarity.

Dragkonias on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »

His arm is his dead wife!

There, its out there. What if one of notDante's shoes ends up being Virgil?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »

His arm is his dead wife!

There, its out there. What if one of notDante's shoes ends up being Virgil?

Nah, Virgil will be reincarinated soul of his brother that tragically died during a rad yet bleak skateboarding accident and angst angst angst.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    G Rol wrote: »
    I agree that this is a bad trailer, but I'm digging the art design and the reimagining of Dante. Ninja Theory make beautiful games...I'm not sweating it. I don't think the assets used in the trailer were ready for prime time, they should have held back until they could put together something more head turning.

You are digging the new look for Dante?

Jesus christ. He looks like a fucking loser who pays too much attention to his hairstyles.

Yes, I'm digging it. Original Dante seemed to be pretty preoccupied with having a fancy hairstyle too, so I don't see that as a conflict with his prior characterization. If the game's tone goes totally grim without a little bit of Dante's light hearted goofball levity, then I might have a problem with the direction of the story.

I just think the street urchin junkie loser redesign is interesting is all; I like it.

Can we still be friends?

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I still like the idea some of us came up with last year, of having Vergil be this drug dealer type, following Dante around in a van. He could act as a save point and sell Dante weapons and upgrades.

Pretty sure everyone else was just being sarcastic, but i genuinely liked the idea.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg