As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halo Reach || Daily Challenge: Post in The New Thread, This One Is Done

• Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kor wrote: »
    I really want halo 4 and 343 studios to make a good halo game but I just don't see it.

What, exactly, are you basing this off of?

343 industries isn't bungie. Only frank o'connor is staying along with 343 and that's all we've heard from the original group. Someone mentioned a rumor of a redefined interface, This could be good and it could be terribly bad. Finally, I don't think 343 is going to put the level of detail that bungie did. They will be bogged down too much with Microsoft policies. The only time this works is when large group leaves to continue. Even then, it's still iffy.

Tl;dr- They aren't bungie and they will never be bungie.

So, basically, the only way this could be a good halo game is if it was made by bungie again? I mean, there doesn't seem like any way to satisfy you unless it was being made by bungie.

I don't see why this teaser is getting knocked on, its a teaser for christs sake. I'm excited to learn more about 343's halo and I wouldn't mind them doing things a little different to be honest.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really want halo 4 and 343 studios to make a good halo game but I just don't see it.

What, exactly, are you basing this off of?

343 industries isn't bungie. Only frank o'connor is staying along with 343 and that's all we've heard from the original group. Someone mentioned a rumor of a redefined interface, This could be good and it could be terribly bad. Finally, I don't think 343 is going to put the level of detail that bungie did. They will be bogged down too much with Microsoft policies. The only time this works is when large group leaves to continue. Even then, it's still iffy.

Tl;dr- They aren't bungie and they will never be bungie.

So just so we're clear here, your evidence is:

Bungie != 343 industries; Someone mentioned a rumor...; I don't think...; and finally, Microsoft is overseeing the project. Good thing Microsoft wasn't doing that the first 3 games, who knows how stunted Halo would have been if they had...

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Again to both of your remarks--

I HOPE I'M WRONG.

Your both silly gooses for missing the part where I said this.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I HOPE I'M WRONG.

Well it's hard to believe you when you say you're optimistic when all your comments are so negative.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    jimbo034jimbo034 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Do we know if Bungie is going to have a presence at E3 this year? Or are they going to unveil their next project at its own event?

jimbo034 on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    No Bungie at E3 and their new IP is not going to be revealed on Bungie Day.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

I HOPE I'M WRONG.

Well it's hard to believe you when you say you're optimistic when all your comments are so negative.

I'm an optimistic pessimist. I see the bad and hope it comes out better then expected.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, we've got (based on a very cursory search):

Jesse Snyder, Lead Campaign Designer. Previously at Treyarch, creator of Nazi Zombies and Lead Designer there for CoD: World at War.

Corrinne Yu, Principal Engine Programmer. Previous Lead Engine programmer on Prey, GDC award winner and nuclear goddamn physicist.

Jeremy Patenaude and Jacob Benton, AKA Mr Vociferous and Cocopjojo, founders of Ascendant Justice and who have some scary in-depth knowledge of Halo lore.

Nate Walpole, Senior Character Animator. Previously worked on Halo 2 and 3, as well as working on Monsters, Inc. at Pixar.

Gavin Carter, Senior Producer. Previously worked on Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

Scott Warner, Lead Game Designer, previously working on Planescape: Torment, Mercenaries 1 and 2 and Full Spectrum Warrior.

Kenneth Scott, Art Director. Previously Art Director at id on Doom 3 and more than a few Quake and Doom projects.

Ryan Payton, unspecified creative lead, presumably Creative Director or Producer. Previously a producer for Metal Gear Solid 4.

Draw your own conclusions from that, but obviously this is by no means a complete list. I will say that I went into looking at this list feeling optimistic and now I'm kind of concerned, especially about Snyder. World at War's campaign was not well composed.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The pessimist in me sees two ways a new developer could go. Either they get cold feet and are afraid to change anything, or they make the all the wrong changes. ie. "Focus testers were getting confused about how to win battles so we changed the game to be a guided experience like CoD and added quick time events."

Looks like we could be getting both ends of the spectrum, but we'll have to wait until they show more of Halo 4 to see.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    June update is up!

No changelog yet

Premium Battle
    Premium Slayer
    Flagstravaganza

Doubles Attack

are all your new permanent playlists.

Also Flagstravaganza and Premium Battle (which is objective + Invasion) is AR start

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss there is a god

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    TikhonTikhon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    AR Start? Yus.

I'm going to try to remember map testing tonight.

Tikhon on
    cockman.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm up for big-party Premium Battle or Flagstravaganza post-testing or tommorow. Should be good times.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you guys are still playing when I get off work, I'll join you (that would be roughly midnight PST).
    If not, well, there's always LA Noire.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Alright, Map testing time?

I am also cool with some big-party games tomorrow. Yay summer break.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    As I thought, I'm going to be unfashionably late. Hope it's still going in like an hour - 90 minutes.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Sitting in an open party.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Premium battle sounds nice. Objective and Invasion all in one. Good times.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Premium"?

Joolander on
  • Options
    FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm going to go pop on live. If Map Testing is a go, feel free to invite me in. Gamertag same as my forum name.

FecklessRogue on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    After Reach, its terrible story and myriad thoughtless design decisions, I'm excited that Bungie's never going to touch Halo again. Yay for fresh blood!

Arteen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for the help testing guys. Next session is Friday, but I'm so tired right now.

Also, June update changelog:

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=61355554

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So instant arm in Premium Battle is kind of broken with vehicles - just driving over the arm point at full speed arms the bomb just fine.

Also, I'm curious to hear Arteen's views on thoughtless design decisions. I can think of a few myself, but I somehow doubt they're the same ones.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh I was going to leave feedback tommorow, but Jesuits:

I highly suggest spawning in a block over the previous teleporters when the next ones open. This would clarify to players that they need to go into the next ones.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Oh I was going to leave feedback tommorow, but Jesuits:

I highly suggest spawning in a block over the previous teleporters when the next ones open. This would clarify to players that they need to go into the next ones.

Thanks for the feedback. That's a good idea, but it would make camping the spawn very easy. I'd like to spawn in soft kills after so long, but from what I've heard, they're bugged and the spawn timer doesn't work. As long as everyone knows in advance what to do, everything's fine, but the confusion for newcomers means it'll probably never see any sort of matchmaking. Oh well!

Access to Megalo could fix everything, though.

E: OH, I could spawn in capture plates over the old teleporters - they're opaque, but still passable.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Willeth wrote: »
    I just bought Reach because Blockbuster is closing down and i got it new for $20, Map packs are expensive...=( Anyways, I am terrible, I havent played a Halo online basically since the first one, any tips?

Melee works a lot differently - one hit will remove all your shields but only your shields, no matter how much you have. A hit on an unshielded enemy is an instant kill.

Find each weapon's ideal pace. It's now possible to fire a weapon faster than is accurate - your shot will hit at a point somewhere within the blooming reticule, weighted towards the centre, so if you're firing as fast as possible you will have trouble hitting the final headshot.

Other than that it plays a lot like Halo 2 (the first one that had online play) in terms of movement, strategy, etc. Stickies, swords, DMRs and grenades. If you add some of us to your list we'll play - but I would recommend playing the campaign first to get a handle on the controls and new weapons.

I also noticed stuff like special abilities and things, like shield lock and sprint? And yes the fact that melee isnt a one hit kill anymore REALLY messed me up playing this early on. I used to used a tactic of rushing forward with short range weapons and meleeing quickly. It still kind of works, i used the sprint guy and killed 2 people bum rushing them but i died in the process as well to a grenade one threw at the last moment.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Arteen wrote: »
    After Reach, its terrible story and myriad thoughtless design decisions, I'm excited that Bungie's never going to touch Halo again. Yay for fresh blood!

You're hilarious.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    EvilBadman wrote: »

You're hilarious.

I don't even play Halo games anymore and I realize how wrong that statement is. The only bad Halo game I know of is ODST. Reach was by all accounts an all round solid shooter in every way.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    X Equals LoserX Equals Loser Wilford Brimley Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

You're hilarious.

Yeah, what?

X Equals Loser on
    xequalsloser.gif
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Corehealer wrote: »

You're hilarious.

I don't even play Halo games anymore and I realize how wrong that statement is. The only bad Halo game I know of is ODST. Reach was by all accounts an all round solid shooter in every way.

I liked ODST's story more than Halo 3's.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, how in the world is ODST bad?

Why is this thread so full of bad opinions??!

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    X Equals LoserX Equals Loser Wilford Brimley Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Someone get on and play with me.

Also, someone gift me enough points to buy the Defiant pack, because I am poor as shit.

X Equals Loser on
    xequalsloser.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, how in the world is ODST bad?

Why is this thread so full of bad opinions??!

ODST WAS FANTASTIC. The mood was perfect and it was nice to see it from the marines point of view.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does anyone here play Arena?
    I want to get into it as the last two games I played I rated in the 1600s.
    I'm hoping its not a fluke, and by possibly getting a cooperative team going (you guys)
    it would make things more enjoyable. Just let me know

Viscount I know I played a game with you but I dont know how into youd be playing it more often

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Alright, here we are – sitting on the plane to LA! I haven’t been to E3 since, well … let’s see … 2004? The last time I was at the show was when we were showing off Halo 2, when Joe Staten and I were up on stage at the Microsoft press conference showing off Zanzibar, dual-wielding, and boarding for the first time.

I remember that E3 well. A little over a month before the show started Pete Parsons and Jason Jones, who were running the studio at the time, pulled me aside and said that they’d like to show off just multiplayer for E3. That sounded pretty underwhelming to me, especially given that my multiplayer team was just 2 people, and the majority of my own design time was spent figuring out how to bring the game online, but they were convinced that we could make it work. We didn’t really have a choice anyway, since the single player game was in dire straits, and so I reluctantly agreed.

My one designer/artist, Chris Carney, and I scrambled to come up with something that would knock people’s socks off. Thus Zanzibar was born, bred, and kicked onto the stage in record time, and eventually that map and the sandbox and game mode changes that we showed off on it stole the show. I admit I was shocked at the positive reaction. In retrospect, however, I realized that we’d done a few things right. First, showing people real gameplay instead of smoke and mirrors was very well received (not to mention the obvious benefits for production). Then letting people play in a LAN-party-like setting – well, it was just magic. It couldn’t have gone any better.

tl;dr Zanzibar didn't exist until right before the E3 2004 demo of it.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

You're hilarious.

Just to provide a few examples, the entire cast is suicidal. Jorge's "noble" sacrifice is a joke since that entire segment was almost identical to Forge's sacrifice in Halo Wars. This is supposed to be a massive invasion of Reach, right, so instead of elite drop pods raining down and covie cruisers blocking out the sky, we start the war fighting a handful of skirmishers on a farm? Or how the story arbitrarily throws a MacGuffin at you at the very end of the second-to-last level?

On the gameplay side, we have ridiculously powerful enemy melees (killed by a punch in the face while sword lunging is not cool), and a bunch of other small issues that make anything but DMRs and plasma pistols at mid-range an exercise in frustration. Even after the beta, Invasion teammate markers are still way too transparent and get blocked by obstacles, and it took months for Bungie to even restore the "flag away" icons.

It's a bunch of little things that Bungie should have known better.

Arteen on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

You're hilarious.

Just to provide a few examples,

Okay cool, let's address these.
    the entire cast is suicidal.

They're Spartans. Hell they're the best of their batch in terms of SPARTAN-IIIs. They were made en masse, compared to the more finely tuned SPARTAN-IIs, and specifically given the toughest missions available because they would of course have a higher success rate than any other marines. Even Carter at the end says "It wouldn't be a Noble mission if it were easy." They know this, they accept it and they do it seeing as humanity is losing.
    Jorge's "noble" sacrifice is a joke since that entire segment was almost identical to Forge's sacrifice in Halo Wars.

Right, because one of the heroes staying behind to arm the game-changing explosive never existed before Halo Wars.
    This is supposed to be a massive invasion of Reach, right, so instead of elite drop pods raining down and covie cruisers blocking out the sky, we start the war fighting a handful of skirmishers on a farm?

Reconnaissance. Ever heard of that word? Let me break it down for you in this context; why send in your entire invading armada when you don't even know if you have the precise co-ordinates for humanity's last bastion of defence before Earth? Even in real life, throughout all history, when a massive invasion is planned out you don't stupidly throw everything at once from the get-go. If you actually listened to the dialogue they all thought they'd be fighting Insurrectionists, not even Covenant, because it was so small-scale. It was a plan that nearly worked.

Really, even D-Day in World War II took at least 2 years of meticulous planning, spreading of false-information, a network of spies, massive amounts of factory work, recruitment, the formation of several whole combat units, training, resource gathering, weather pattern-examination and even then the actual troops didn't know where they were going until a week at most before they stepped onto the boats and planes.
    Or how the story arbitrarily throws a MacGuffin at you at the very end of the second-to-last level?

Why has the word MacGuffin become a bad thing? It's an object that gets you from point A to point B. Now, I'll agree with you on some level, this was kind of a curveball in terms of plot development but it was one I liked. It added to the atmosphere of tying all the games together with Noble 6 being the one responsible for delivering Cortana and revealing more about her creation and history. It explains why she's so much more advanced and why she was so crucial to ending the war. Because we find out she's part-Forerunner technology it makes sense how she was able to hack into every Covenant ship and interact with the ancient technology so well.

Still, granted, I can see how this would not be everyone's cup of tea and I'm not even disagreeing with you. This really just comes down to a matter of opinion.

Concerning your other points, same thing goes. Balancing out the kill-all, all-fear weapon that is the sword with a well-timed melee attack? I appreciated that. However like I said, it comes down to opinion and personal taste with a design feature such as that. Never myself encountered the other factors you mentioned so I won't, and really can't, comment on those. Other than that, in all I've found Reach to be one of the most satisfying games I've played.

Sure I get frustrated, sure it has it's own little problems and sure it could definitely be better in some spots. Still, I've played it for longer than I've played MW2 and BLOPS combined and to me both those games are horrifically unbalanced, glitchy, mediocre grinds when placed up against Bungie's work.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I would like to point out that much as ODST was Dante's Inferno, Reach is the Charge of the Light Brigade. They might not have pulled it off as well but it's based on very solid classical themes.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My main beef is that Bungie called it their Magnificent Seven yet we get extremely little to zero character development and insight. Just a bit more depth would have been appreciated.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

You're hilarious.

Just to provide a few examples, the entire cast is suicidal. Jorge's "noble" sacrifice is a joke since that entire segment was almost identical to Forge's sacrifice in Halo Wars. This is supposed to be a massive invasion of Reach, right, so instead of elite drop pods raining down and covie cruisers blocking out the sky, we start the war fighting a handful of skirmishers on a farm? Or how the story arbitrarily throws a MacGuffin at you at the very end of the second-to-last level?

On the gameplay side, we have ridiculously powerful enemy melees (killed by a punch in the face while sword lunging is not cool), and a bunch of other small issues that make anything but DMRs and plasma pistols at mid-range an exercise in frustration. Even after the beta, Invasion teammate markers are still way too transparent and get blocked by obstacles, and it took months for Bungie to even restore the "flag away" icons.

It's a bunch of little things that Bungie should have known better.

Just as another perspctive on the whole 'Punch someone out with the energy sword', There are full martial arts dedicated to disarming or fighting an enemy armed with a sword and then punching them in the face, Not only that but the books and comics have both touched on the Elites sparring with the swords so it kinda makes sense.

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    fucking assholes in premium battle, downvoted breakpoint invasion in favor of neutral bomb on HEMORRHAGE
    FUCK YOU

Local H Jay on