As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4e] The Fantastical Contraption(OOC) - Recruiting!

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Are we allowed a background or theme? I'm applying either way!

Edit: Would take the Occupation-Hunter background and either the Outlaw or Animal Master theme.

Anialos on
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Talasha Swiftarrow, Razorclaw Shifter Hunter style Ranger

Summary:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Talasha Swiftarrow, level 5
    Razorclaw Shifter, Ranger
    Build: Hunter Ranger
    Fighting Style: Hunter Fighting Style
    Ranger: Running Attack

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 12, Con 10, Dex 21, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 11, Con 10, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 20 Fort: 14 Reflex: 18 Will: 15
    HP: 42 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
    Nature +10, Stealth +13, Acrobatics +13, Perception +10, Dungeoneering +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +2, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Endurance +1, Heal +5, History +2, Insight +5, Intimidate +1, Religion +2, Streetwise +1, Thievery +6, Athletics +2

FEATS
    Level 1: Swift Footwork
    Level 2: Bow Expertise
    Level 4: Weapon Proficiency (Greatbow)

POWERS
    Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike
    Ranger at-will 1: Fading Strike
    Ranger encounter 1: Skirmish Shot
    Ranger daily 1: Skirmishing Stance
    Ranger utility 2: Hunter's Privilege
    Ranger encounter 3: Parting Strike
    Ranger daily 5: Spitting-Cobra Stance

ITEMS
    Lightning Greatbow +1, Magic Scourge +1, Adventurer's Kit, Arrows (150), Hide Armor
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Background:
    Talasha grew up along what humans call The Glimmer Run in the forests to the far northwest in Keltain. She was happy there, content to spend her time hunting in the woods and living off the land. Small settlements never bothered her, in fact she traded with them quite often. Despite her appearance the locals were quite accepting of her.

It was when the Baneists came that things changed. The villages that were not burned down turned her away. She was soon singled out as a target for the hunts. Instead of hunting, she was hunted. Only her shifter heritage and wits have kept her alive till now.

Mannerisms & Apperance:
    Talasha has a very light tan as she spends much of her time beneath the canopy of the forest. Her hair is a golden yellow, pulled back into a tomboyish ponytail. The hide she wears was crafted by a man in one of the villages she used to visit, made from skin from game she brought in, lovingly crafted, and a bit...revealing. She never quite understood why the young man made it that way, but he was always smiling when she visited, and it granted her full range of movement and kept her warm, so it mattered not.

To outsiders Talasha is immediately cautious given recent circumstances. Once she gets to know someone however, she is the fastest of friends. She is more than happy to stick an arrow through the eye of someone threatening a friend.

Picture:
    Talasha.jpg
    Thought the group could use some ranged strikering to hang out with the controller.

Anialos on
  • TunosTunos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Logging my interest for the open spot. No familiarity with the story but I'll do a read through when I get home tonight.

Tunos on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Interested.

I'll form a character and post tonight. I'm in a Dark Heresy PbP only, a tabletop Pathfinder game (meets once a week), and have a metric ton of time to post and play in this.

Anon the Felon on
    edited June 2011
    Currently playing Encounters and a weekly homebrew IRL game.

Anialos on
  • Ace JonAce Jon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So interested. I've not played PBP before, got some very limited D&D experience as a player and a little more as a DM. Not playing any D&D at the moment, but I've also applied for Aegeri's game. Got nothing to do over summer, and then until summer 2012 I'll be doing some 9 to 5 with no extra responsibilities, so I don't see myself flaking ;)

Gonna read up on this thread and the IC, then I'll roll a character application.

Ace Jon on
    Yours truly, Ace Jon.
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Did I link this Character correctly?

I'm applying! That's Erevan the rogue, whom I believe is setup correctly as level and whatnot. Been dying to get into a game of some sort, (NO ONE in my town wants to play with me. :( ) with tons of time on the PC at work to play, so here's hoping. Not currently playing any other games, sadly.

Info
    20071202-xxs6wu521mjtyjpp7hnceb3bbu.jpg
    Erevan has always been fascinated by gadgets. Seeing a cog fills him with delight, even if it's rusted and sticking out of the ground. Shiny things have always been fascinating to him and whenever they are mentioned his pointed ears perk up and his eyes grow bright with wonder. He is not the prettiest of Erevan, with a nasty scar down the side of his face from an acrobatic stunt gone wrong at a young age, and his dirty blonde hair falls in a shaggy mess down his neck, the color giving the appearance of dirt even when there is none, which is rare. Generally a jovial fellow, though he is aware that his image is not the most pleasant, this can come to his advantage when he chooses to intimidate, rather than peacefully go about his business. His desire to stick to the shadows is certainly influenced by this.

Please let me know if I did anything wrong, it's been a while.

SniperGuy on
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oazle the Shadow Clown

Background
    Shadows were a big part of Oazle's early life. In the desert, shade is a luxury that many would kill for. For a tribe of halfling nomads, it was also the object of worship. At the time of Oazle's birth, the practice of shadow magic had ingrained dark habits into the group. Secrecy and paranoia defined the tribe, who grew solemn and suspicious. This, combined with their tendency for cannibalism, would have meant a swift decline for the tribe.

In order to hold the tribe together, the shamans invoked a series of taboos and rites- only specially selected warriors were allowed to slay sentient creatures, and were themselves forbidden from eating them. In time these executioners were also tasked with 'defending' the tribe by killing any outsider that discovered them, such was the depths of their secrecy.

Born during an eclipse, Oazle's path was set. Marking the child's mouth with a white, burning oil to show his role, the shamans raised him apart from the other children. Cut off from what little innocence and joy that remained in the tribe, Oazle was absorbed completely in his training. By 6 he had killed his first man. By 8 he lost count.

On one such 'hunting' expedition, tracking some traders that had wondered too close to the tribe, the murderous halfling lay hidden in the sand, waiting for the right time to strike. The men had set up camp and, as night fell, began to trade stories. Oazle had heard many stories from the shamans, and these were pale in comparison. Then one of the men told a tale- a very short tale- that left the others howling and clutching at their sides. Alarmed at this man's treachery, the halfling was thankful he hadn't been listening. Curiously though, the men started smiling at each other and continued their chatter. What sorcery was this?

Lighting a signal fire for his tribe and pulling the crossbow bolts out of the corpses, Oazle pondered this strange magic. The man had used no other spells when he had been attacked. He was clearly no mage. But the idea of being able to incapacitate others with words entranced him. Without a second thought he set off for the outside world to learn more of these- what had he called them, jokes?

Personality
    In the years following his desertion of the desert tribe, Oazle has lost little of his solemnity and bluntness. This, combined with his tribal roots, means he can often seem rude and ignorant. Worst of all, whenever he tries to tell a joke it just comes off as menacing. At one point a travelling circus took him on, his facial tattoos suiting a role as the sad clown. He grew tired of being hit in the face with pies however, and wasn't being taught any jokes anyway. The ringleader was found dead, his meal having been poisoned. This experience taught the hafling to seek others that would respect his martial prowess, but have the worldliness to know a few jokes as well. In other words, adventurers.

Appearance
    Scrawny and lean, having subsisted on plants for most of his life (he still has trouble bringing himself to eat meat), Oazle still wears his tribal skins. The chalky smear around his mouth sits in stark contrast to his dark tanned skin, while his streaky, windswept blond hair sticks out at all angles.

I'm in the trollhaunt pbp on these boards, but I've been wanting to use the shadow-worshipping desert nomad idea for a while.
    I'm on gmt if that's a problem, but otherwise I'm available for the 1/day minimum

Also just realised no powers actually use charisma. Is there any need to put points into it, apart from skills? Otherwise I may just focus on con for durability's sake.

Edit: switched from charisma to con. Makes sense that he wouldn't be much of a face

Grog on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Posting my intentions to post a background!

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just a heads up. I'll take applications until tomorrow night.

Farangu on
    edited June 2011
    I've been looking over the other submitted sheets and am very curious, I've seen people with "Bags of Holding" and another with 4 magic items total. I thought we only got 1 magic item?

I'm also looking at doing a second submission, as per the original OP (I came up with another character idea I wouldn't mind playing and I think would fit into the group well). Is that ok or do you just want one at this point?

Anon the Felon on
    edited June 2011
    1. You get 1 item for free. If you want to pay for more, that's your perogative.

2. Preferably just one.

Farangu on
    edited June 2011
    Oh, perhaps I missed it somewhere, but what's our gold pool for purchasing then? I read over the game thread last night, but it was late and I might have missed something.

Anon the Felon on
    edited June 2011
    Standard for the level, whatever CB says that is.

Farangu on
    edited June 2011
    Ok, that changes things. I'm going to fix some things up and look over stuff, that extra money I was unaware of changes how I do my character. I might end up doing a full overhaul now that I've got some more thought put into it (and a better understanding of the story thus far). If it's been to much trouble it's no big deal if you feel I'm "that guy".

Anon the Felon on
    edited June 2011
    What about themes?

SkyCaptain on
    edited June 2011
    themes?

Farangu on
    edited June 2011
    Something new that WotC has added that gives characters more options and more abilities. Probably more trouble to mess with since you don't know about them though.

SkyCaptain on
  • IlliantharIllianthar GMT -0700Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Farangu wrote: »
    Standard for the level, whatever CB says that is.

DMG states that starting gold is whatever the price of a magic item of level n-1 is, where n is the player level. So that sounds like 840gp (cost of a level 4 magic item), plus the one free 4,5, or 6 magic item.

Sound good, Farangu?

...Oh, and logging interest :D

Illianthar on
    edited June 2011

Summary
    Saiya is a young hume female of noble lineage and blood, whose young life brims with passion for adventuring and romance. Her long hair falls like silken moonlight over her shoulders, framing the countenance of a pale, rosy cheeked and lavendar eyed young girl. Among polite company, she favors light blue or white silks, hemmed with lace elegant in its simplicity. However, her ardor or perhaps it is better said, obsession with swordplay leaves her with dresses ripped, torn, and in tatters. Despite years of scolding, warning, threatening, and other harsh words... Saiya has seldom missed an opportunity to cross swords with local armsmen, mercenaries passing through, and even the occasional weapon master, though any training she might have gleaned from them is overshadowed by her ineptitude on the battlefield. It's oft been said over a mug of ale that it's more dangerous to be standing next to Saiya's target rather than be the target.

Her mother, Anathiel, worries about the growing darkness within her ever more reckless and curious daughter. Saiya was born during a new moon in the Shadowfell that forever tainted her child with the strength of shadows. The harrowing details of Saiya's birth have been withheld from her all her life. Saiya's eldest sister, Aria, and her parents keep the secret between them. All others that would have known perished keeping the Shadowlord of Darkening Hall from claiming Saiya as his own, giving her parents time to escape to the mortal realms and back to Dreeston.

The Forging of "The Pointy End"
    On Saiya's twelth birthday, her father reluctantly gave in to his youngest daughters demands for a rapier of her own with a few words. "Saiya, dear... do you even know how to use a sword?" he asked.

"Poke 'em with pointy end!" she shouted with great enthusiasm, as if that was all there was to it. Her bright lavendar eyes pleaded with her father wordlessly.

"I suppose that is the essence of swordplay," he sighed. His dark eyes wandered down to the training field behind the manor. "Speak to the Master-at-Arms. He will see that you are trained and when he feels you're ready, you'll get your rapier." Saiya danced around her father and gave him a hug before running off. Her piercing shouts echoed off the stone walls, only slightly muted by the thick wall hangings spaced between the windows. The Master-at-Arms of House d'Winters first sent Saiya to the forges, to help the ironmongers smelt the ore and forge the steel that would be used to make the next batch of weapons for the armsmen of her father's House.

For two weeks she helped work the massive bellows, though it required the full weight of her twelve year old self to force the air into the long forge. Saiya took more baths in two weeks than she had taken her entire life it seemed and she still felt like she couldn't get clean from the smoke and grit of the ironmongers forges. After the steel was forged, the Master-at-Arms sent Saiya to see the cutler. The cutler took the raw steel and shaped it into the basic forms of the weapons used by the armsmen, though one was smaller and thinner than the rest.

"That one's not the same as the others," Saiya noted to the cutler. She was always quick to point out the obivous.

"That one will be yours m'lady." Saiya's eyes widened as she had helped hammer out the metal, though she didn't believe she had done very much with just a few hammer blows. It had been all she could manage using the heavy tools of the trade. The cutler sent Saiya with the batch of half-made weapons to the polisher, who also did the grinding as well. The sparks that flew off the steel made the young girl dance around and laugh with unbridled glee. The swords quickly took shape and at last it was time to finish her rapier. Tolivar, a traveling blacksmith that had ended up staying in service to House d'Winters for more than a decade, helped Saiya shape the base of the rapiers blade and smooth the tang for the hilt to go around.

The rapier was finally ready for the fitting of the hilt and the engraving, though Saiya wouldn't get to help with those tasks. The Master-at-Arms sent for her early the next morning. Saiya arrived at the training field, still rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. "My skill with the fencing style better suited for the rapier is rather lacking. Your father had given me permission to hire a master fencer to provide lessons for you. He will arrive early next summer after the winter ice in the shipping lanes receds. Until then, you'll train like any other soldier trains in your father's service."

On her 13th birthday, she was given her first lesson from her fencing master after receiving her rapier that she promptly named, "The Pointy End".

Current Events
    • Saiya trained for years with her fencing master, but never stopped training with the Master-at-Arms of House d'Winters either. Though she favored the rapier, she was well versed in an amazing array of weaponry
    • Shortly after her 15th birthday, the fencing master was called back to his homeland when war broke out and threatened his family
    • In the months leading up to her 16th birthday, Saiya's dreams became darker and filled with flashes of a strange machine and the world awash in shadow and flame
    • Her father had also become more distant and troubled. Saiya often eavesdropped, having picked up the knack of not being seen when she didn't want to be and overhead her father talking about Bane cults in Cairnport, making it more difficult for his factors to ship trade goods across the Keltain Sea
    • She also heard him and her mother speaking about reviving old alliances after hearing rumors about someone named Dillibrac and his machine. The name spun Saiya into a daze and she knew she had to find out more about this Dillibrac, but information was scarce and even her most charming smiles couldn't entice more about him other than that he was an inventor some time ago.
    • Determined to learn more, she finally ferreted out some rumors about hunters looking for dilly-birds. Though it seemed silly at first, she put together two and two and realized it wasn't hunters or an animal, but others looking for Dillibrac pieces. Late one night, she snuck out of the d'Winters estate and set off on her own, seeking out these dilly-bird hunters.

A Tinkerer's Dream
    A pair of clockwork dragon wings.

Character Sheet
    Saiya d'Winters, level 5
    Human, Thief
    Human Power Selection: Bonus At-Will Power
    Background: Adventurer's Scion, Birth - On Another Plane

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 14, Con 10, Dex 20, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 13, Con 10, Dex 17, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 14.

AC: 21 Fort: 16 Reflex: 21 Will: 16
    HP: 42 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
    Streetwise +9, Stealth +14, Thievery +12, Perception +8, Athletics +9, Insight +8, Acrobatics +12, Dungeoneering +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +1, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Endurance +2, Heal +3, History +1, Intimidate +4, Nature +3, Religion +1

FEATS
    Human: Disciple of Freedom
    Level 1: Haunting Shade
    Level 2: Weapon Proficiency (Rapier)
    Level 4: Improved Defenses
    Feat User Choice: Master at Arms

POWERS
    Bonus At-Will Power: Piercing Strike
    Thief utility 1: Escape Artist's Trick
    Thief utility 1: Unbalancing Trick
    Thief utility 2: Switcheroo
    Thief utility 4: Tumbling Trick

ITEMS
    Summoned Leather Armor +2, Hidden Rapier+1, Dagger (5), Bedroll, Everburning Amulet, Flute, Grappling Hook, Silk Rope (50 ft.), Thieves' Tools, Sunrod (4), Identification Papers with Portrait, Fine Clothing

SkyCaptain on
    edited June 2011
    I was editing my original post and it seems the server deemed it a good time to eat it.

Here's my final application, I can't really complain since it gave me a chance to fine tune some things.

Character Sheet

Background:
    Rune's name is apt, for every single one of his armored body plates is covered in etched runes, ranging from those the size of a mans fingernail, to some the size of Rune's own palm. Outside of the etchings that cover his metal body, Rune is rather simple. Being built on a factory floor many years ago and only withing the last two centuries been awakened to pursue his own life. Since his activation by the gnomish engineer, Rune has had very little contact with the outside world. Wrapped up in his work to unlock the mysteries of Dol Dorn via his runic ministrations.

Portrait:
    RacePortWarforged.png

Anon the Felon on
    edited June 2011
    Farangu wrote: »
    1. You get 1 item for free. If you want to pay for more, that's your perogative.

2. Preferably just one.

Ah, my appologies! Editing submission now.

Anialos on
  • Ace JonAce Jon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tomorrow night?! Okay. I've been reading through the IC topic - almost done now, in the 60s - and compiling important story posts. It'll be useful for whoever gets the place, so I'll post it here later.

EDIT: done!

House rules & the storyline so far. If you get picked, you should totally read this.
    Start of OOC/recruit thread, setting
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=14630128&postcount=1

Ground Rules
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=14722354&postcount=173

House Rules regarding checks
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=15813558&postcount=552

Start of IC thread, has characters - we will be replacing Swanky, Smoove Operator's character
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=14723325&postcount=1

Story: they all dreamt up parts of the Dillibrac
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=14759207&postcount=52

Story: final boss of first dungeon (which was kobolds and natural fell beasts), kills first inactive PC
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=15478849&postcount=421

Story: Warforged 'bodyguard' Vista joins party, second quest begins
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=15552280&postcount=458

Story: Skarr, Korin and Vista's characters fleshed out as a kobold is taken prisoner.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=118475&page=25

Story: After clearing out a mountain cave, they go to a village that depends on a dillibrac piece for prosperity. They choose to take it
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=16220662&postcount=760
    OR DO THEY?!?!?!

Story: they come across an old temple. A necklace reanimates the dead there. After beating them, they try to destroy it, which fails
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=16367560&postcount=869

Story: all barricaded up, zombies still exist...
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=16704685&postcount=948

During zombie assualt 2, Korin is gone :/ (previous recruitment drive)
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=17183964&postcount=1018

Story: Zombies defeated, but with the passing of Korin
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=17371000&postcount=1077

Story: Arrival back at Corrin's house
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=118475&page=45

Story: Orsik joining the party, they leave and go to Cairnport. Unfortunately the lovely post about that got lost to some server error, so there's this:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=17524996&postcount=1145

Story: In Cairnport, they learn of a Banesworn cult.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=17725468&postcount=1235

Story: In Cairnport, Skarr gets tricked and a hussy tries to kill him and take a dillibrac piece. He woken up by the city guard. The others find & release him in the morning. They get some information about the next dillibrac piece and set off
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=17788032&postcount=1254

Story: Someone has information; they get attacked as this is found out
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=17917878&postcount=1301

This is a Thing
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=18144781&postcount=1370

Story: heading out; the attackers were Banesworn
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=18161477&postcount=1378

Story: the camp they found for the night had doppelganger gangbangers, but they dealt with them and moved on
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=18551373&postcount=1473

Story: they arrive in a fortified city. After meeting some guys, they leave by moonboat, following a lead north
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=18846607&postcount=1570

They fight more Banesworn, this time Dragonborn

Story: ambushed in the night by a tiefling, the death of Swanky
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=19478934&postcount=1757

Okay, here comes the bombshell...

Jaryn
    Human Paladin. You know the one.

Background
    A valiant defender of his faith and land, Jaryn can't remember a time in his youth he wasn't either training his swordmanship or learning of the ways of Pelor. Raised at first by his parents, he quickly outshone his father, a weaponsmith, and came under the private tutelage of some of the finest warriors and priests in the area.

Clinging desperately to his carefully planned childhood, the adult Jaryn resists change, is extremely arrogant and boastful, and is often frustrated by his own failure. Those that know him well enough can laugh at his misfortune, but woe betide a mocking stranger!

Jaryn never had any close friends as a child, and always seeks friendship with those he sets out with to do justice and glorify Pelor. He will boast for his friends' efforts, and always seeks to strengthen his allies in battles. With years of experience under his belt, Jaryn and his party have been the go-to force for the local area whenever monsters or cults rise up and cause issue.

Current

Sent on a noble quest to rid Keltain of a new Banesworn cult, Jaryn and his party set out West to the Moonsfall mountains. Only, they were soon ambushed and overwhelmed by the cult, before they even reached the mountains. Severely outnumbered, the party soon became surrounded by foes with dark robes and darker hearts.

The battle played out in slow motion in his mind, and ever since it echoes each new morning before his prayers. He watched as Andressa & Annika, who were like sisters to him, failed to muster strength against the unrelenting Dragonborn and fell beasts. They were the first to drop, lifeless. Kelma was the next to go: sliding in to defend Jaryn as he cried out at the loss of his sisters, three dragonborn beat him down as if their swords were blunt instruments.

Dajani, Jaryn's tiefling liege, dashed in and out of the dragonborn ranks, slicing necks and smashing faces. Jaryn bellowed in rage and cut through his opponents as if they were butter. The two, strengthened by the rage of revenge and Pelor's justice, massacred a battalion of cultists. And just as it seemed their losses were over, Jaryn turned to see Dajani staring him coldly in the eyes - a sword through his heart. Tears beating down his face, Jaryn killed his liege's murder and the remaining cultists who hadn't fled. He turned back to Dajani, whose eyes were still open, but it was too late. He was dead.

Alone and lost, Jaryn buried the dead and swore revenge on the cult. Not a single member would be allowed to live. Jaryn wandered.

Appearance & Mannerisms
    A tall, striking man, of blond hair and lean physique. He has a prominent scar on his left cheek that he earned in battle.
    Picture:
    po_hu_m_21_h.jpg
    Except, add a scar on his left cheek and add a few years...

Stat sheet - Orokos isn't showing abilities
    Human, Paladin
    Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    STR 18, CON 14, DEX 8, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 16

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    STR 15, CON 14, DEX 8, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 15

AC: 21 Fort: 20 Ref: 17 Will: 19
    HP: 53 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 13

TRAINED SKILLS
    Diplomacy +10, Endurance +7, Heal +9, Insight +9, Religion +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics –1, Arcana +2, Athletics +4, Bluff +5, Dungeoneering +4, History +2, Intimidate +5, Nature +4, Perception +4, Stealth –1, Streetwise +5, Thievery –1

POWERS
    Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
    Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
    Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
    Paladin Feature: Divine Mettle
    Paladin Feature: Divine Strength
    Paladin Feature: Divine Challenge
    Paladin Feature: Lay on Hands
    Paladin Attack 1: Strike of Hope
    Paladin Attack 1: Forbidding Strike
    Paladin Attack 1: Piercing Smite
    Paladin Attack 1: Driving Blades
    Paladin Utility 2: Bless Weapon
    Paladin Attack 3: Righteous Smite
    Paladin Attack 5: Unrelenting Punishment

FEATS
    Level 1: In Shining Armor
    Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Bastard sword)
    Level 2: Mighty Challenge
    Level 4: Bitter Challenge

ITEMS
    Bastard sword x1
    Plate Armor x1
    Holy Symbol
    Amulet of Protection +2 x1
    Shield of Deflection Light Shield (heroic tier) x1
    Adventurer's Kit
    Waterskin
    Grappling Hook
    Journeybreads
    ====== End ======

Ace Jon on
    Yours truly, Ace Jon.
    edited June 2011
    Tharatus Wran, Human Hexblade

Portrait
    Tharatus.png

Background
    Tharatus was picked on as a child. Always smaller and slower than the rest, Tharatus was the butt of jokes and forced to do the dirty work. To stay away from all of the harassment, he spent quite a bit of time at the local library. He grew up feeling ostracized and wanting desperately to get back at everyone that would dare pick on another soul. While hiding out in the library one day he came across an old and musty tome. It seemed like it was written specifically for him, and offered a way to gain power beyond anything he could hope to achieve on his own. Pocketing the book he slipped out into the alleyways.

He spent months studying everything the tome had to offer. When he finally felt ready, he focused and reached out to the Nine Hells. He found a shard of power, and he tapped into it. Quickly his physique changed. He became taller and more muscular. He was able to conjure up fire and brimstone. Feeling empowered, he quickly succumbed to the infernal whispers in his ear, letting the power consume him and lashing out at those that had wronged him. Before he knew it, he had utterly destroyed them.

When he came back to his senses he was distraught. He ran away from home, leaving everything he had known. He shut out the power, and swore never to use it again. Weeks later he came across a family that was being accosted by bandits. He rushed to help, but once again he was small and frail, and couldn't stand up to the marauders. Feeling the rage rise, he tapped into the secret font of power and summoned the power of the hexblade again. With the clout of the Nine Hells behind him he fought off the bandits and saved the family. Seeing that there was a way to use his powers for good purposes, he made a new pact to finally carry out his childhood dream and help those around him. Thus he began to travel the world and right any wrongs he came across.

He quickly realized that not everyone was appreciative of him using the borrowed power of devils to assist them. He learned to hide the true sources of his might, often disguising himself when assisting others, so they wouldn't be able to recognize him later. He continued to study his craft, and found that he was soon able to summon a spirit from beyond the Prime. He probed and prodded and ultimately found a spirit that was not evil, but rather a tormented soul like himself. In times of personal struggle, he calls upon the spirit to confide in, as well as help him learn his way around.

Appearance & Mannerisms
    Tharatus is of average height, but is well built. When not in combat he transforms his armor into commoner's clothing, something that appears lowly and nondescript, with a hood; just in case. He keeps a low profile, but is good-natured and kind to those around him. He doesn't tolerate bullying or anyone taking advantage of the weak. He has medium length black hair and a strong countenance.

In combat, Tharatus is all business. He dispenses his brand of justice with a focused lethality. He doesn't stop to make small talk or ask too many questions. He wades into the fray with grim determination and the confidence that his power will destroy those that dare to threaten the good and right.

Character Data Payload
    Tharatus Wran, level 5
    Human, Hexblade
    Human Power Selection: Bonus At-Will Power

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 18, Dex 11, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 19.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 17, Dex 11, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 16.

AC: 21 Fort: 20 Reflex: 15 Will: 20
    HP: 50 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
    Bluff +11, Insight +7, Intimidate +11, Streetwise +11, History +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +1, Arcana +1, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +5, Heal +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +1, Stealth +1, Thievery +1, Athletics +1

FEATS
    Human: Superior Implement Training (Cinder wand)
    Feat User Choice: Wand Expertise
    Level 1: Implement Focus (Wand)
    Level 2: Heavy Armor Agility
    Level 4: Improved Defenses

POWERS
    Bonus At-Will Power: Hellish Rebuke
    Level 1 Hexblade Daily Power: Ashen Scourge
    Level 2 Hexblade Utility Power: Ethereal Stride
    Level 5 Hexblade Daily Power: Avernian Eruption

ITEMS
    Blade of Annihilation, Imposter's Chainmail +2, Magic Cinder wand +1, Amulet of Protection +1, Adventurer's Kit, Sunrod (2)

Illianthar on
    edited June 2011
    Alright, pencils down. I will post the selection in here once the four current characters have voted.

Farangu on
    edited June 2011
    After a close vote, the next member to join the party is...Tharatus Wran!

Illianthar, get in touch with me and we'll figure out how to get your character into the story.

Farangu on
    edited June 2011
    Woo!!!

Thank you for the votes, everyone. Look forward to playing in the game. I'll shoot you a PM here in a sec to get the process started, Farangu.

Illianthar on
    edited October 2011
    Apparently, it is that time again...

A spot has opened up in our lineup! I need someone to fill it!

What I'm looking for: Level 5 character. Currently we have a Hexblade, barbarian, fighter and wizard. Strong preference for a leader character, if you couldn't tell. 22 point buy, then level up to lvl 5. One magic item of lvl 6, 5 or 4 for free. Picture with your application. Familiarity with the story so far is a plus, but I will be willing to fill in the blanks.

The current members will be voting on who to include in this campaign. I will only be recruiting for a couple of days, so do please hurry with the creation. The one thing I'm looking for above all else: Durability. Fourth replacement I've had to find in a year and a half. I want someone who will stick with this.

And...go, I guess.

Farangu on
    Oh, hello there. Level 5 leader huh? I do believe I can whip one of those together! As for my stick-with-it-ness, everywhere I go here has MWR so I can keep up one post a day even in this hellhole of a warzone! Submission coming shortly.

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Okay I'm definitely interested, I'm unfortunately one of those who probably need a general rundown of the story so far however.

edited October 2011
    Ordo Goodshield, Shield Dwarf Templar of Moradin

Summary:
    Ordo Goodshield, level 5
    Shield Dwarf, Cleric (Templar)
    Build: Devoted Cleric
    Cleric Option: Healer's Lore
    Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Hammer)
    Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Holy Symbol)
    Recent Life - Spreading the Word (+2 to Religion)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    STR 11, CON 12, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 19, CHA 15

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    STR 11, CON 10, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 16, CHA 14

AC: 20 Fort: 15 Ref: 17 Will: 20
    HP: 44 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
    Diplomacy +9, Heal +13, Insight +11, Religion +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +3, Arcana +2, Athletics +1, Bluff +4, Dungeoneering +8, Endurance +4, History +2, Intimidate +4, Nature +6, Perception +6, Stealth +3, Streetwise +4, Thievery +3

POWERS
    Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
    Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
    Dwarf Racial Power: Dwarven Resilience
    Cleric Feature: Divine Fortune
    Cleric Feature: Turn Undead
    Cleric Utility: Healing Word
    Cleric Attack 1: Sacred Flame
    Cleric Attack 1: Lance of Faith
    Cleric Attack 1: Exacting Utterance
    Cleric Attack 1: Beacon of Hope
    Cleric Utility 2: Cure Light Wounds
    Cleric Attack 3: Daunting Light
    Cleric Attack 5: Consecrated Ground

FEATS
    Level 1: Ritual Caster
    Level 1: Shield the Fallen
    Level 2: Harbinger of Rebirth
    Level 4: Pacifist Healer
    Level 5: Versatile Expertise

ITEMS
    Ritual Book
    Purify Water
    Create Holy Water
    Symbol of the Holy Nimbus +1 x1
    Exalted Chainmail +1 x1
    Amulet of Protection +2 x1
    Fighting Shield Light Shield x1
    Distance Throwing hammer +1
    Adventurer's Kit
    ====== End ======
    Picture:
    images-1.jpg
    This is Ordo in his younger days, lets say 20 years ago.

Background, Mannerisms, etc.:
    Ordo is like a good number of older dwarven men, grumpy, protective of his clan, and downright mean when he has to be. He is extremely slow to anger though, and would rather raise the spirits of his companion and keep them from harm than smash in the face of an offending attacker. Now, that doesn't mean he can't bring the hurt. Many a minion has gone down with shock in their eyes when they though to get an easy hit in on the healer. Moradin doesn't just protect smiths!

Easy to spot in a crowd, that isn't a bar full of old dwarven drunks, Ordo's white beard and shiny bald head give away his advanced age. Its been some years since he was a hit with the ladies, but that doesn't matter to Ordo. His trusty shield and his faith in Moradin keep him warm at night. Although the last few nights have not been as warm. Traveling alone spreading the word has brought him joy, but no allies as of yet.

Having heard of some Banites causing trouble in the area, and some heroes causing them trouble as well, Ordo has set out to find this intrepid group. Surely the hand of Moradin would be welcome in any fight against the dark works of Bane.

Currently in three games on the boards. One hasn't updated in a couple weeks though, hope it gets going again.

Anialos on
    Gatsby:
    In the land of Keltain, there is one name that everybody knows: Corran. Quite possibly the most brilliant inventor ever to have lived, the gnome has been living in retirement for quite some time. A generally boring thing, save for one day 15 years ago, where he happened upon five babies laying in the middle of a crossroads. In a rare moment of humanity(for he is usually quite cranky), he took them home with him and raised them as his own.

Now, the boys were growing into their own. Each had their own talents. And one night, all of them dreamed of mechanical parts. After conferring with Corran, they realized that these parts were called Dillibrac pieces; parts to a machine assembled long ago by someone that rivaled Corran's genius. Feeling the spark of creativity once more, Corran asked his sons to retrieve the pieces for him.

The journey has not been easy. While there is currently only a few pieces left to find, each time the brothers have returned home with their bounty, one has failed to come back. Corran's state of mind has become increasingly frazzled. Currently, the brothers and their mechanical bodyguard are in a camp of dangerous cultists of Bane, trying to escape.

• deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    Themes or no themes?

• AegofAegof Registered User regular
    No themes. Pretty sure we got a free Weapon, Implement or Versatile Expertise, though.

I'm providing ambience.
    Correct.

I'll take submissions for another 24 hours.

edited October 2011
    Oh snaps, i'll go add my feat then.

Edit: Took Versatile Expertise, also changed out an encounter power. Post above edited to show changes.

Anialos on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I made a character but before I post it and look like an idiot for being too literal, did you mean one magic item of level 6, 5, and 4, or one magic item and that one item can be of the level range 4-6?

Possibly gimped character behind spoiler.
    I was going for a flavor more than stats

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Oh-Kyre, Genasi Warlord

Summary
    Oh-Kyre Emberfrost, level 5
    Genasi, Warlord
    Build: Tactical Warlord
    Elemental Manifestation: Earthsoul
    Background: Geography - Mountains, +2 Dungeoneering

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 13, Dex 8, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 16, Con 13, Dex 8, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 14.

AC: 20 Fort: 19 Reflex: 16 Will: 15
    HP: 45 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
    Athletics +10 , Diplomacy +8, Intimidate +8, History +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics, Arcana +5, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +4, Heal +3, Nature +5, Perception +3, Religion +5, Stealth, Thievery, Insight +2, Streetwise +3

FEATS
    Feat User Choice: Spear Expertise
    Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Greatspear)
    Level 2: Improved Tactics
    Level 4: Improved Defences

POWERS
    Class Feature Encounter Power: Inspiring Word
    Genasi Feature Encounter Power: Earthshock
    Level 1 At-Will Power: Commander's Strike
    Level 1 At-Will Power: Viper's Strike
    Level 1 Warlord Encounter Power: Warlord's Favour
    Level 1 Warlord Daily Power: Lead the Attack
    Level 2 Warlord Utility Power: Adaptive Stratagem
    Level 3 Warlord Encounter Power: No Gambit is Wasted
    Level 5 Warlord Daily Power: Stand the Fallen

ITEMS
    Armour of Healing +1, Frost Greatspear +1, Adventurer's Kit, Climber's Kit

Portrait
    3469881804_a7de07e0b0_o.jpg

Background, Appearance and Mannerisms
    Old and weathered, like the mountain peaks he's scavenged throughout most of his life, Oh-kyre has spent a good portion of his time alone. Originally growing up in his town which had embedded themselves into the face of a dormant volcano, his youth as a Firesoul was mercurial and untempered. Choices were made, friends were lost, and by the time he was an adult Oh-Kyre already felt like his flame was flickering out. No longer was he trusted by most of his community, despite his efforts as part of their local militia. Realising, like the rest of nature, that his season with his birthplace had come to a close he left with no explanation. As a scout and point man, he would regularly go out on walkabouts, that just meant it would take longer for people to realise he was gone.

A decade from there on and his time as a loner was already having a profound change in both his psyche and physical form. As he predicted, his flame died out when the eigth Winter arrived, only for his skin to shift into a deep umber, his energy lines settling into a blazing vermillion and his temperament maturing beyond his early years. Finding himself in tune with the stones and craggy cliffs of the mountains he now wandered, his transformation into an Earthsoul had reached completion. As a wanderer, the Genasi became quite knowledgable in the cave systems and few ruined keeps and dungeons he discovered amidst the intimidating peaks he had begun to call home. Shepherding those lost due to either storms or vicious wildlife, his developing leadership skills grew and flourished. Despite his newfound experience and wisdom however, from time to time those who have come across him, from wayward adventurers to travelling merchant caravans, still see a faint dancing of light behind his amber eyes.

So many years later and now Oh-kyre finally feels at ease with his regrets and past youth. Deciding to return back to home town, a literally changed man, he found the large village abandoned and ransacked. The cultists of Bane had come through and made sure nothing was left, either through fear and intimidation or pure cold-blooded actions. His life felt wasted and any accomplishments since his self-exile worth for nought, the Genasi has garnered a new goal. Something that will finally put his very core at rest. Whether he crumbles or triumphs matters not, only the satisfaction of seeing at least one Banite experience what he has, all his pain and lonesome suffering. However what Oh-kyre has not realised yet is that this path to vengeance may just ruin him completely.

Gatsby on
    DaMoon- the second option.

Recruiting is closed. I will have the current party members discuss amongst themselves, and vote for who should join them next.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Not sure if this will help or hurt my chances, but I happen to have a song written about Valderi by famous bards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg9YvCVaudw&feature=related

3basnids3lf9.jpg