As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do I help a hurt chipmunk?

ElementalSlayerXElementalSlayerX Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Two days ago, I found a chipmunk laying on the edge of the road near my house. He was just laying there and wasn't really moving, but he was still alive. There was also a turkey vulture flying close by. I tried to take him off the road so that he could go back to the forest, but he still didn't wanna move at all, so I brought him home with me so I could try to help him get better. I put him in a box, obviously not the best cage for him but it was the best I had... I had looked up what to feed him and lots of stuff said things like nuts, seeds, fruits, and vegetables, so I tried giving him peanuts, lettuce, and bananas. I also got him a little dish with water, but as far as I know, he hasn't eaten or drank anything since I brought him.

The first night he would just lay there, and occasionally try to get up and walk around, but he would just fall over. I'm pretty sure his leg is hurt or something, because he always falls over on one side. The next day, he started running around and jumping and trying to climb out of the box, and this made me really happy because he seemed to be getting better. He continued to do that all day, but he still didn't seem to be eating or drinking at all, and I wanted to keep him for another day to make sure he was really better.

Today, he has been sleeping the whole day and hasn't really gotten up at all. He lets me pet him and hold him, he doesn't resist at all. Yesterday he was awake the whole time and was fine with me holding him, but today he just plays dead whenever I touch him. I'm really just trying to help him, but he refuses to eat or drink still. I have tried letting him alone and everything, but he is still asleep. He started getting those eye boogers that you get in your eye from sleeping for a long time, and he just wants to lay there without doing anything. I am really really worried about him. I've become really attached to him, and I want to let him go back into the wild when he shows signs of being better, but if he doesn't eat, I'm not sure what I can do.

I know he doesn't like the box, so I've taken him out of it a few times but he still just wants to sleep and refuses to run around anywhere. I don't want to just let him back outside because I am afraid that he will be eaten or killed because his leg is hurt, and I really don't want to abandon him like that. I'm not sure what I can do to help him. My parents won't let me take him to the vet because they don't want to pay the money for a chipmunk or something like that. =/ Can anyone help at all?

ElementalSlayerX on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Where are you? There's more than likely a local wildlife rescue that you can call and they'll come get him.

Esh on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Pretty sure that living indoors with a human companion and a hurt leg is extremely foreign to the chipmunk's usual life experiences.

He's probably quite upset / afraid and unable to harbor any desire to eat or drink.

Second the calling of a shelter.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I live in central Pennsylvania. I can try to find a number for one in my phonebook tomorrow, that's a good idea. Any other advice? I really care about this little guy, I don't want him to die or anything. =/

ElementalSlayerX on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    kedinik wrote: »
    Pretty sure that living indoors with a human companion and a hurt leg is extremely foreign to the chipmunk's usual life experiences.

He's probably quite upset / afraid and unable to harbor any desire to eat or drink.

Second the calling of a shelter.

Yeah, you should not be attempting to care for a wild animal yourself. This isn't the movies. It's nice of you try, but it should be left to the professionals.

Esh on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You might want to ask a local vet if they're willing to take the animal in...sometimes they'll do that, and they might also have access to a wildlife center, too. Worth a few phonecalls to find out, at least?

NightDragon on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Chipmunks, like most rodents, are notorious carriers of disease. It's quite normal for them to be unafraid of humans, which is bad because they also tend to be awful biters.

Call a shelter.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I talked to my parents and they say they'll try to help me find an animal shelter near here. Thanks for the help guys.

ElementalSlayerX on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Since you won't tell us the city where you are exactly, we can't help that much with where to call. I found this...

http://www.wildliferescue-pa.com/

...but I have no idea how current it is. Call a local vet or shelter and they can refer you.

Also, like Terrendos said, stop touching the chipmunk.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I live in Newport, Pennsylvania.

ElementalSlayerX on
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The wildlife hospital I've done work with always tells people to not feed the animals and just bring it in ASAP, even if this is a period of 24 hours. Worst case scenario and only as a place holder, I'd feed most injured wildlife babyfood. You don't know what injuries they have or how old they are, so better safe than sorry.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm kinda concerned that it wouldn't drink at all, although rabies is extremely rare in small rodents.

Make sure you tell the shelter people its behaviors and that you handled it. They may want to send its brain off to the state when it dies.

November Fifth on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    In the future, it's best if you don't bring small, disease-carrying rodents into your house. Everything dies eventually, and chipmunks aren't exactly an endangered species.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    KelvackKelvack Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    There are two Veterinarian offices in Loysville, which isn't too far away from Newport.

I've been going to Dr. Cook for years for cats and dogs. Not sure about chipmunks...

I've never been to Tri-County Veterinary Service so I can't comment on them.

Kelvack on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    He may not be drinking or moving much because he is extremely frightened. Rodents get scared when they are in unfamiliar and strange places and when they do, they kind of shut down and just try to play dead. Frankly I would consider going some place wooded where he might like to be, near some kind of source of water, and leave him with some food next to him. If he can walk around some once he is free he can at least go and drink and eat and get by until a stray dog catches up to him or something, and maybe he lasts long enough to heal on his own. If you can find a vet to take care of him, take him there, but if not, he'll be happier out in his habitat than with you.

big l on
  • Options
    Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    In the future, it's best if you don't bring small, disease-carrying rodents into your house. Everything dies eventually, and chipmunks aren't exactly an endangered species.

I was waiting for a response that made some kind of sense. Thank you good sir.

Indica1 on

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • Options
    DouglarossDouglaross Registered User new member
    Sometimes the chipmunks are just shellshocked and it may take a day or so before they wake up from their trauma. Even if they appear to be injured, it's best to just give them space so they can recover.

My cat is confined to a secure porch, yet somehow chipmunks find their way in. My cat thinks these are toys and always has to bring them inside. I have a Havahart trap I catch them with and then release them back outside. However I did have one that appeared to be dragging his back leg behind him. I kept him confined to the bedroom with the trap set and nuts inside. A day later he still hadn't moved from his "hiding" place. He finally did go in the trap for the food, and I took him to a local rescue. After the hour long drive, he was up and moving around just fine. The rescue lady told me this is typical. We released him, and he's now a "country" chipmunk living there, instead of here in the city.

This discussion has been closed.