Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D 4E PbP] (IC) Keep on the Shadowfell+ - Chapter 1: The King's Road

245

Posts

  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sister Kingsblood breaks the grip after a few moments, her hand now returned to normal. "You may stay with your men tonight, in the House of the Sun. The others have alternate arrangements," she says, before inclining her head. "The Blessings of Bahamut go with you. Good luck and godspeed on your journey."

    With that, the priestess starts to walk briskly towards the exit from the audience chamber.

    "Well," Lord Markelhay then says. "The task at hand is set. Report to the stables in the morning, and you will be issued with steeds for the journey to Winterhaven, as well as supplies, and a map, should you need one. And, as payment from your previous assignment," The Lord Warden produces a pouch of coins from his belt, and offers it towards Godfrey. The hefty chink of coinage can be heard as the pouch drops into the Paladin's metal-clad palm. "Two hundred gold pieces. And I bid you goodnight."

    Nimorazan dawdles down the steps as Faren speaks, and pauses between Ezekiel and Tara on the way. "I will meet you there tomorrow, before you leave," he says. "There is a ritual I would like to try out, to add speed to your travelling. Oh, and a little something to make the nights easier, should you need it. Do not forget, and leave without them!" The High Septarch then smiles absently, and follows after Sister Kingsblood, but at a much slower pace.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • AcratiaAcratia Registered User
    edited June 2011
    Watching Andrei's back as the various exchanges go on, Zeke gesticulates to the others in a particularly vulgar faction implying the Noble has a habit of self-pleasure.

    As things draw to a close, he nods an agreement to the aged wizard's suggestion on departure. On the way out, he remarks to Nolar on his prognosis of the trip.

    "I give it two days before we have to club someone on the road."

  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nolar chuckles to himself as they walk out of the hall, "All-Father be havin' a sayin' that applies here: Give a dwarf a flask o' ale an' he drinks fer a day. Teach a dwarf ta brew his own ale and he drinks fer a lifetime. But smack a dwarf upside the head...and he stops bein' a bleedin' idjit.

    ...Three days."

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Myriil Amarthen - AC 17 | HP 14 | Melee +6/1d6+4 | Spell +5/DC 13
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Godfrey nods solemnly in response to Sister Marla, for a very brief moment subduing his tone to offer proper respect for the situation.

    "I swear on the credit of Waukeen that the archaeologist and rod alike shall be returned safe and sound!" he declares with his hand to his breast as he so swears. Thereafter he sets to the task of doling out the pouch of coins amongst the party evenly. Yes, legitimately evenly. He was a businessman and it would not do to have his reputation besmirched.

    To Andrei's question, Godfrey merely laughs.

    "My good man, I am a golem! I do not eat. Or sleep, ever. My zest for life is literally boundless!" he declares. To him, this is clearly the best thing in the world.

    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • DracoGriffinDracoGriffin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tokul moves uncomfortably, as he departs with the rest of the band. He mutters silently to himself, as he admires the decor before abruptly mentioning words of wisdom.

    "Zeke is correct. Before the third sunrise, someone will be traveling unconscious."

    The others become bewildered at the lucid comment to which the dragonborn simply shrugs before gesturing to Godfrey for the pouch. "F-frey, I believe we were shorted seven gold pieces, may I account and disperse the reward?"

    Tokul makes no mention or awareness of the black knight or his extravagant entrance.

  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Hmmm, did I miscount? Verification is more than reasonable. Have at it old boy!"

    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • DracoGriffinDracoGriffin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tokul deftly paws through the coins, before shortly responding with an answer. "Hmm, I was wrong. Only six gold coins missing. Perhaps the servants felt they were in more need. I do not mind being shorted my share of the coins."

    He smiled awkwardly before placing the small pouch with the warforged once again.

  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The company retire to their rooms, and have a restful night after such an exhausting few days. They are woken along with the sun, breakfasted, and arrive at the stables two hours after dawn, with plenty of time on the way to pick up odds and ends from the market, should they choose.

    Waiting for them at the stables, is the Lord Warden's attendant, Thomas. The normally calm and placid man seems on edge at present, and he noticably avoids Andrei's eyes, while trying to be as far from the Vrancean nobleman as possible. Consequently, he holds the reins for three of Fallcrest's own steeds, while a stableboy holds two more, and a second, older lad tries to keep Master Tzvetanov's stallion under control. For the most part, he does quite well. The fiery-tempered animal settles for tossing its head about imperiously, and glaring at anyone that gets too close.

    "Your steeds, ladies and gentlemen," Thomas says as the party approaches. "And a pack, containing maps of the northwesterly areas of the Vale, as well as three day's worth of trail rations for you all." One of the horses wears a pair of large saddlebags, which the servant gestures to.

    As the company begin to mount up and prepare, the Vrancean nobleman's entourage arrive with their master, along with High Septarch Nimorazan. The old mage holds an embroidered bag in one hand, and a tankard of some steaming liquid in the other.

    "Ho, Zeke lad!" Nimorazan calls as he approaches. "Some things for you, here. Allow me to explain." He halts beside Ezekiel's horse, and lets go of his tankard in mid-air, as if he was placing it on an unseen table. Of course, it rests solidly on the air, not moving while the arcanist searches his bag. "Ah, here we are," he says, pulling what appears to be a large snow-globe from the depths of the bag (and his hand went all the way in to the elbow - a minor enchantment that impresses the locals), to offer it to the scholarly scoundrel.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • AcratiaAcratia Registered User
    edited June 2011
    Taking a hand off the reins, Ezekiel reaches down to take the object from Nimorazan. Cupping it in a hand, he turns it over for examination.

    "Thanks, Nimo. What's this?"

    ...And of course, instinctively gives it a shake.

  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The scene within the globe is that of a stale campfire, smoke rising from the embers, with bare ground around it. Once Ezekiel shakes the globe, the campfire roars into life, and a group of tents spring up around the circle of stone and flame. The attention to detail is astonishing, and quite obviously, arcane.

    "Oh, just a little something I cooked up through the night," Nimorazan says, looking quite pleased with himself as he sips from his steaming tankard. "It's a reusable focus for a ritual I like to call 'Nimorazan's Nice Instant Campsite', which should replace the usual reagents, incenses and the like you'd need to power it. There's enough magic in that to last a week or so, and if it starts to flag, just wiggle your fingers at it and infuse it with a minor cantrip, and it should be good for another week's use," the High Septarch concludes, with a rather pleased smile. "Tea?" he then asks, offering the young man a sip from his cup.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • AcratiaAcratia Registered User
    edited June 2011
    "Sure. I'll be needing all the warmth I need, since it looks like we're strolling into the frozen asshole of the world."

    Gratefully accepting the offered beverage, Zeke takes a draught to infuse himself with the indisputable supernatural powers of tea. Handing it back down afterward, he curves a smile at the globe before turning sincere.

    "Thanks, Nimo. For everything. And don't worry; we'll find Douvren. I know you two have had your differences at times, but...well. Yeah."

  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    While Ezekiel sips at Nimorazan's tea, the High Septarch rummages around in his embroidered bag, again. "You'll need this, too," he elaborates, pulling out a slightly crumpled and tea-stained sheet of parchment. "Just copy this into your book of rituals, and you'll be making campsites spawn from the ether in no time. It's a rather simple ritual, well. Elegantly simple. I feel a lesser mage might have made it far, far more complicated. They don't have my acumen for brevity, after all."

    After unloading the ritual instructions off onto Ezekiel, he pulls two rolled scrolls, tied with blue ribbon to the 'practical archaeologist', too. "Found these while I was rummaging around for some reagents, too. Couple of scrolls of Hand of Fate. You will probably get far more use out of them than I would. Just invoke the magic if you're having trouble making a decision, and the ritual will point out the best route for you to take. Single use, though. It's in my shorthand, you won't be able to copy them into your book and make them work, I'm afraid."

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nolar meanders around the horses giving them a stern stare as if the creatures might snap and attack them any time now. A flask of something, presumably ale, is kept in his right hand that he occasionally takes a sip from on this early morning, "Nimorazan's Nice Instant Campsite, harumph! Be gettin' more use out o' Nimorazan's Blessed High Quality Brewery & Taphouse oi'd say." Continuing to circle the horses, he resumes his grumbling.

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Myriil Amarthen - AC 17 | HP 14 | Melee +6/1d6+4 | Spell +5/DC 13
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Oh, you get a meal out of it, too," the High Septarch says to the Dwarf, smiling absently. "Nice cup of tea, nice plate of biscuits, nice rabbit stew, nice cask of strong dwarven ale, and all that. Also, the elementals that the ritual and the focus summon will attempt to conceal the campsite as best they can, and clean up after you. It's a very good self-contained little arcane ritual, if I do say so myself," he goes on to say, retrieving his cantrip-enhanced tea, and drinking deeply.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "As if oi be callin' a batch o' magically conjured up ale 'dwarven'," Nolar snorts, taking another swill of whatever's in his flask, "Could be poison fer all oi know. Or worse...

    ...Water."

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Myriil Amarthen - AC 17 | HP 14 | Melee +6/1d6+4 | Spell +5/DC 13
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Godfrey stretched out and rolled his shoulders. It was a completely pointless gesture of course but it was dramatic. A proper heroic narrative thrived on exaggerated heroic gestures. He turned his gaze on the stout animal specially prepared for the harrowing task of hauling around a man of metal and smiled.

    "The only thing the camp site can't provide is heroism and VALOR! For that we shall have to be the sole font in a land of ice and woe! Let us be to it, our swords the quill of adventure!"

    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • hippofanthippofant Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rolling her eyes behind Godfrey's back, Tara moves close to Nimorazan, trying to find some modicum of privacy by placing her body so as to block off Godfrey and the others. Hesitantly, in a low voice, she murmurs, "Nimorazan, is there anything else I should know about Douvren's errand? About Nina or his apprentices? I am concerned as to whether there are magical forces at work here, perhaps related to your joint efforts?"
    Spoiler:

  • DracoGriffinDracoGriffin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tokul rejoins the group after a morning session of ritualistic movements and exercises. He looks about the stables, taking care to admire each equine. He brushes their foreheads with his palm as he locks eyes with the creatures. He ignored the noble's ill-tempered stallion, instead staying close to Godfrey.

    He turns to the High Septarch, admiring the detailed magical object as he listens to the conversation with Zeke. He unstrapped his quiver as he examined it quizzically, before abruptly shoving it in front of the brazen Nimorazan. "Can you detail this for me? I can't seem to quite understand its methods, but perhaps there is insight to be gained from one such as yourself."

    The dragonborn crosses his arms, waiting for the wizard's response. He appears to be ignorant of Tara's advances and personal questioning of the High Septarch.

  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nimorazan dismisses Nolar's 'concerns' about the quality of his magical brews, and turns towards Tara. "Ah, yes my dear, his apprentices. I forget their names - they were not particularly stand-out to me - but as I recall they both had a modicum of magical talent, but were more focused on digging around in the dirt, like their mentor. I know you have attended Douvren's lectures on the history of magic, the importance of artifacts, and some of his more mundane subjects, perhaps you rubbed shoulders with them once or twice. I'm sure you will recognise them when you see them," the old Mage replies. "As for his errand, well. Excavation, investigation, pursuit of knowledge! A dragon's grave, and the wealth of historical knowledge contained therein? Not to mention the wealth of... wealth. You have to fund your ventures in academia, you know. Perhaps he thought he could use the treasure to help finance this guild he keeps talking about. Oh, Douvren."

    Nimorazan is interrupted mid-sigh by Tokul's intervention. "Beg pardon..?" he asks, as he takes the quiver. He hands the Dragonborn his still steaming mug of tea (and it smells so inviting, as if it begs to be drunk) while he scrutinises the leather arrow-holding-device.

    The High Septarch seems confused at first, and then his eyebrows raise as his expression becomes one of near-childish delight. "Oh-ho!" he says, pulling an arrow free, and letting it fall to the ground. Then he pulls another, and another... and another. "Remarkable! It seems that with this quiver, you will always have an arrow available to fire! But wait," he says, reaching in to take another arrow, this one with a pale blue fletching that seems to glitter, unlike the plain black-and-white feathers used for the other shaft's flights. "What's this I see? It's rather cold... An embedded evocation? How interesting!" He drops the glittering blue arrow - and now Tara can easily recognise the sparkling as a light coating of ice-crystals along the whole shaft, head and feathers - and it strikes the ground pointed-tip first.

    Instantly, a circle of mirror-like ice forms at the point of contact, expanding outwards to touch the footwear (or talons) of those clustered around it. Tara, Nimorazan, Tokul, and even Ezekiel's horse both find their feet, claws or hooves fastened to the ground for a moment, though they find they can free themselves with a sharp tug.

    Ezekiel's horse dances away to the side, stomping its hooves and tossing its head rebelliously.

    The High Septarch peers inside, and finds the quiver full once more, to his great delight. One by one, the spent arrows dissolve into golden residue, and meander through the air on unseen breezes before they settle on the surface of the large polished opal set into the leather of the quiver, only to be absorbed back into the gem.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • AcratiaAcratia Registered User
    edited June 2011
    As part of their regular pre-journey routine, Zeke prepares the Fastidiousness ritual and sets to work applying it to Godfrey.

  • DracoGriffinDracoGriffin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The dragonborn looked at the drink for a moment before using a bit of sleight of hand to stash it atop a barrel, behind some nondescript farming equipment.

    Tokul stared absentmindedly as he watched the arrows pulled from the quiver, no surprise to him when the enchanted arrow is produced as well. "Four arrows before you got to the freezing one. Last time I tried it produced two-hundred forty seven before I received the ice one. Although, the temperature had risen significantly at that point, so it was quite refreshing."

    Tokul nods several times, as if to being questioned by some unseen force. He steps forward and clutches the quiver from the High Septarch as he placed the strap over his shoulder, struggling to find a comfortable spot.

    The dragonborn turns to Tara, somewhat glaring in response before continuing. "Did you perchance read about the innate skill contrasts within the human sexual determination by Douvren? He stated, 'there are growing concerns over arcana within the male/female dichotomy that favors the male organism'. I do say he would be interested in meeting you!"

    He walks past the dumbstruck two as he nears Thomas, before deciding on a horse, quickly clambering on top of the cloven-hoofed beast. He gently squeezes the horse, so much as to not pierce its hide as it takes off from out the stable.

    "I shall scout ahead, Godfrey!"

  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nimoroazan catches the reins of Tokul's horse as the Dragonborn mounts up, and calms it with a single word. Magic? Perhaps. Maybe the old mage just knows his way around horses.

    "One last thing before you start galivanting off, Winterhaven is a day and a half's ride from here. One day if you ride hard, do not stop, and most likely kill your horses. But I have a solution!"

    The High Septarch clicks his fingers, mutters something under his breath with his eyes closed, then clicks his fingers again.

    "There! Nimorazan's Most Excellent Ritual Preparation, something I must teach you in time, Zeke. Perform a ritual, hold it at the last section, and suspend the magic. Then you can finish it in an instant when needed. Just makes it a little hard to concentrate, don't you know. I've enchanted your steeds with increased stamina and athleticism. I also meddled with the flow of time in their general area, but the less said about that, the better. They will now make the journey in a day! You can thank me when you return, yes. Yes."

    And with that, Nimorazan retrieves his tea mug with a wave of his hand, causing it to float from the barrel Tokul set it upon into his grasp, and then starts to head off the way he came.

    Thomas continues to make sure everyone is set with their steeds and packs, then pats Tara's mount on the hindquarters. "All set, Champions of Fallcrest. Whichever Gods you may honor, may they watch over you, and keep you safe."

    The gates are opened, and the company (plus one irritable Vrancean nobleman) set forth.
    ~~oOo~~

    7xpDn.jpg

    The King's Road is not in the best of repair. Still, it is much better than the animal trails and wagon ruts that lead through the forests and to the outlying farms, and is mostly straight and level. The journey is quiet, passing the outskirts of the Cloak Wood is quiet and uneventful, leaving plenty of time for argument, discussion, or gentle conversation. Here and there a ruined cobblestone - a holdover from the times of the Nerath Empire - can be seen protruding from the packed dirt. No news is good news however, and the horses make good time, especially aided by Nimorazan's ritual.

    Ezekiel, Tokul, Tara
    Spoiler:
    ~~oOo~~

    gWjxa.jpg

    Gardbury Downs are bleak and bare. The group passes the rough trail that forks from the main road, leading up into the rolling hills that Gardmore Abbey calls home while still within sight of the Cloak Wood. Soon after, a man driving a mostly-empty wagon with a pair of donkeys passes the group - he keeps to himself, and only answers a greeting without offering more as he carries on - but other than that, the road is quiet.

    Ezekiel, Tokul, Tara
    Spoiler:

    Afternoon starts to turn to dusk, still some way from Winterhaven, when the journey begins to get... interesting.

    Godfrey, Ezekiel
    Spoiler:

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Whilst the untrained eye might believe Godfrey wasn't paying attention to anything, so absorbed in he in ferreting out the details of Vrancean cuisine from Andrei, in truth he was keeping a close eye on their surroundings.

    Perception: 1d20+7 22

    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The dwarf spends much of his time uncomfortably passing along the winding road atop the untrustworthy animal the others call a horse. Distracting himself as much as possible, he finds some passing interest in the ruins along the road as they wander by, admiring the crumbling architecture with a hint of sadness for whatever civilization may have once built here.

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Myriil Amarthen - AC 17 | HP 14 | Melee +6/1d6+4 | Spell +5/DC 13
  • DracoGriffinDracoGriffin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tokul stared at the mage deadpan whilst the incantations were performed, tugging at the reins once the High Septarch released his grip on the horse.

    The dragonborn stayed ahead of the group for the most part, galloping ahead for hours at a time. He would return with his horse in a simple trot, as he rode alongside the golden warforged, making reports about the locale and other random facts.

    As the group forayed into the Gadbury Downs, Tokul made sure to stay within earshot of the travelers, in lieu of any roving bandits or hostile races.

  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Andrei continues to act aloof, having hardly spoken since the previous evening. Astride his horse, Erebus, he rides both with the rest of the companions and merely alongside them. Despite Godfrey's incessant chatter, his thoughts are almost exclusively on the journey ahead; he knew there could be no telling when or even if they might recover the missing artifact. Part of him seethed at the mention of this Douvren; what difference could it make what an old doddering "archeologist" might be up to? Did everyone else not realize what was important and what wasn't?

    Yet for all his irritation, Andrei is no fool. He knows (despite the previous evening's conversation and all appearances to the contrary) that the order of Bahamut is a strong and powerful group. Any force or persons who could disrupt their plans is by definition an enemy worthy of consideration... if only for the amount of time it takes to identify and destroy them.

    Andrei could not sit by while a group of unknown strangers set out to recover the Rod. The Dark Lady would never forgive him; his only recourse was to travel with this group. If, in so doing, he must assist them in the trifling things they find important, then so be it. And if perchance he comes to know them better, to regard them in a different light, well... That might be a useful thing, too.


    ~~~

    "Vrancean cuisine, Sir Goldfist? Well, to be perfectly honest, it involves a lot of meat, preferably red, preferably rare, and the generous application of spice and heat." Andrei grins at the golden giant, showing his pearlescent white teeth. "Our food is much more... energetic, one can say, than the fare down here in the Vale. You seem to grow an awful lot of grains, vegetables and the like; we're more of a livestock sort of country."

  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Truly, if there is but one thing that brings me regret with regards to the machinized nature of my existence, it is the lack of an ability to appreciate the absurdly numerous manner of ways in which you people sear and season the flesh of various creatures. It really is remarkable, the sheer variety. Alas, it shall have to wait for another lifetime."

    Godfrey mused with characteristic melodramatic gestures, for a moment indulging in a mimickry of licking his fingers as he discusses foodstuffs.

    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • AcratiaAcratia Registered User
    edited June 2011
    Clopping along as they go, Zeke lifts the edge of his hat with a finger, scanning the environs as his skin prickles.

    Perception: 1d20+8: 18 [1d20=10]

  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The light of Ezekiel's lantern makes the growing dusk feel safer, and less threatening. The company continues on horseback, turning a bend in the trail between a few boulders.

    There are no threatening sounds in the air, no sounds at all, in fact. Just the sound of your horse's hooves on the trail, and the conversation on Vrancean cuisine compared to the more pastoral Nentir traditions.

    As the lead horses passes between two large boulders - though not really large enough to shield any number of human-sized figures from view - a cacophony of shrill, piercing shouts resounds around the moors, seemingly from all sides. Then they attack, a myriad of rust-scaled creatures wearing a motley of light armor, carrying viciously barbed spears.

    Godfrey
    Spoiler:
    Roll initiative!
    Spoiler:

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nolar had been finally getting settled with his horse, the two of them having come to some form of non-verbal agreement that they will never speak of this indignity again and will go their separate ways at some point with the dwarf assuming that meant to the butchery for the un-bearded one of them. When the shrill noise hits the air, however, his attention perks up in a sudden flash of movement as he unslings his leg from the over the side of the horse and drops to the ground. It might just be Tara having seen a spider but like hell if he isn't going to use any excuse not to get some walking in. When the rust-armoured creatures finally make themselves apparent, he grins slightly as he has begins removing the oversized hammer from his back.

    Start in I12.
    Initiative: 17

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Myriil Amarthen - AC 17 | HP 14 | Melee +6/1d6+4 | Spell +5/DC 13
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Having just ridden slightly ahead of the party in search of some measure of quiet, Andrei's head whips around towards the source of the sudden commotion. His instincts kick in and he flicks his leg up and over the horse's head, sliding down and off the other side in one smooth motion. In a blink, his axe and shield unslung, he pivots to the encroaching ambushers; when he sees them, a smile spreads across his face.

    "Finally, something to do!" he exults before calling back over his shoulder. "Sir Goldfist, tend to your companions if you must; I can repel these rabble."

    Initiative: 1d20+2 15
    I'll start at I9; BOLD D&D.

  • DracoGriffinDracoGriffin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tokul quickly dismounts from his beast of burden, as he unslings his bow. He quickly ties up the bowstring as he removes an arrow from his endless quiver, his ears attempting to pick up on locations of the assailants.
    Spoiler:
    The dragonborn struggled to listen to detect the enemy's position, but shouted advice to the others instead. "The boulders will grant us protection! F-frey, do you know why Tara attacked the column in the Keep?"

    Tokul began to analyze the sounds once more in his mind before he realized something oddly familiar.
    Spoiler:
    He shook his head for the moment, ducking down and bracing against the northern rocks, as he tried to peek out to spot the creatures.
    Spoiler:

  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Steel yourself my comrades, barbarians are upon us!" Godfrey called out in warning as he ever so barely detected the ambush before it was upon them. And here he had feared their journey would be wholly uneventful. Hopping down from his warhorse (much to the beast's relief) with an audible thud, Godfrey brandishes his weapons with immaculate poise.

    "It would be horribly improper to let a foreign dignitary venture into such danger alone my good man! Perish the thought!"

    I'll start at I10
    Initiative: 1d20-1 18

    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • hippofanthippofant Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tara emits a faint growl as she calmly brings her horse to a stop; she had noticed the dwarf's extraneous glance in her direction, plus would like to hear Tokul's suggestion as to why she "attacked" an inanimate marble column and its relevance to the barbarian onslaught no doubt coming her way. As she gingerly dismounted from her horse, she mused about letting this Tzvetanov handle this "rabble" himself...
    Spoiler:

  • AcratiaAcratia Registered User
    edited June 2011
    Whipping out a hand crossbow from his hip, Zeke immediately makes haste toward the only available nearby cover, opting to let the people with excessive amounts of metal attached to or part of their body handle the front line. He calls out a protest as he ensures his hat isn't blown off by holding it with the free hand, implicating the Warforged for their woes.

    "Damn it Goldfist, why do you have to be so bloody shiny!? You've attracted everything from miles around to take a piece of your hide, again!"

    Initiative: 1d20+6: 12 [1d20=6]

    Position: G14

  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    With bloodcurdling screams that hurt the ears, spear-wielding reptillian humanoids with rusty scales and thick leather armor hurl themselves from behind the cover of the boulders, stabbing at the company with their primitive as they get into range. They quickly surround the group on all sides, and crash into the men in heavy armor, as well as a woman in none.

    A spear slips by the stalwart dwarf's Mordenkrad, striking him low in the torso, the impact blunted by his heavy scale armor. Tara manages to twist away at the last moment to avoid the spear jabbed at her chest, but the broad head of the weapon's business end catches her shoulder and slices the skin beneath it. Two flank Andrei, while another engages Godfrey, but none of them find no purchase on either Templar's platemail. Tokul manages to bat aside an attack at the last moment, thrust at him half-heartedly by a kobold that seems surprised to find him in the cover of the boulder.

    The creatures move quickly, and the shouts and yells on all sides make it seem like more lie in wait, ready to strike at just the right moment. With tails lashing and rude spears waved around menacingly, this group of brigands seem to be showing no mercy, with every intent to kill each and every member of the party. However, the two that end up without a packmate by their side seem somewhat wary.

    Actions:
    Spoiler:
    Map:
    Spoiler:
    Status:
    Spoiler:
    Tokul
    Spoiler:
    Up Next: [ Tokul ] , [ Tara ] , [ Godfrey ] -- On Deck: [ ??? ]

    Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • DracoGriffinDracoGriffin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The dragonborn bellowed a deep roar, as the kobold turned the corner, haphazardly stabbing the air. He took a step forward, his roar developing into a maniacal cackle. His voice switched from the common tongue to that of the dragonkin. [Draconic] "Foolish kobolds! Bow before your greater! Flee NOW or face my father's wrath!" [/Draconic]
    Spoiler:
    He tumbled backwards, attempting to shield Ezekiel from any intrusions. He brought his bow upward as he placed his arrow against the string, tugging it tightly before releasing it violently.

    "Strike that one, Tara! Focus on his torso with your magic!"

    However, before the young woman could respond, the arrow plunged into the sniveling runt's gut, yelping loudly as it collapsed to the ground in a heap.
    Spoiler:
    Status:
    Spoiler:

    Up Next: [Tara], [Godfrey] -- On Deck: [???]

  • hippofanthippofant Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    [Draconic] "The thing about magic, Tokul," says Tara as she retreats backwards up the path, "Is that I can be fairly indiscriminate about its use." [/Draconic] In her hand, she holds up the crystal ball she is constantly toying with, and a tendril of scintillating colours stretch out from it and winds its way forwards through the skulls of each of the kobolds. When it reaches the last, the tendril snaps forwards from the orb, as though suddenly released, and evaporates, four of the kobolds falling to the ground unmoving afterwards.

    Quickly surveying the area, she points her free hand at a darkened area and the grass there suddenly lights up.

    [Draconic] "Why is it, exactly, that you think I..." [/Draconic]
    Spoiler:

    Status:
    Spoiler:

    Up Next: Godfrey] -- On Deck: [???]

  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Godfrey casually crushed the kobolds skull with a shield bash, as it turns out smaller lizard thing skulls are not built to withstand the force of a sheet of iron propelled by robotic limbs, before sinking his blade into the earth for but a moment. The onslaught had stilled, but more were waiting in the wings he wagered. His now free hand dramatically worked open his tunic, exposing not only his fabulous sleek golden chassis but also the emblem of Waukeen embedded in his chest.

    "Let Waukeen's Golden Gaze illuminate a path for us my friends!" he bellowed as the symbol flared to life, a gentle whirring noise emanating from within Godfrey upon his transformation into a walking light show.
    Spoiler:

    Status:
    Spoiler:

    Up Next: On Deck: [???]

    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The kobolds seem staggered by Tokul's yelled threat, even moreso when the powerful Dragonborn steps back, and looses an arrow that tears through one reptillian creature's belly. The 'horde' barely has time to recover before Tara's magic reaches out, and touches each and every one of them, causing them to fall without a wound on their bodies.

    As the last falls to Godfrey's nonchalant shield-bash, the tone of the cries grows... shocked? As much as screaming dragonlings can sound shocked, at least.

    A larger, bulkier dragonthing takes advantage of the apparant triumph however, skulking around one of the larger boulders to stab at the golden robot's unprotected side. The blade is deflected by metal, and the Dragonshield steps back, raising the large red dragon scale it uses as a shield in protection, whilst warding off those that may approach with a raised, serrated short-sword.

    Actions:
    Spoiler:
    Map:
    Spoiler:
    Andrei
    Spoiler:
    Status:
    Spoiler:

    Up Next: [Nolar], [Andrei], [Ezekiel] - On Deck: [???]

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
Sign In or Register to comment.