As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The babylon project was our last, best hope for peace

FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Social Entropy++
it failed

in the year of the shadow war, babylon 5 is the best goddamn sci-fi series ever

lets talk about bruce boxleitner and a quarter of a million humans and aliens, all alone in the night

reposig.jpg
Fandyien on

• alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Never watched this show. Vaguely feel like a should have.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fandyien wrote: »
    lets talk about bruce boxleitner

yes lets
    tron.jpg

Antimatter on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    never seen it

heard it was good though

Abracadaniel on
  • TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just don't watch the 5th season, otherwise a great show.

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    it is so good

i would characterize it as better then DS9 which is a helluva tough call because i love star trek

the guy who played garibaldi, jerry doyle, went on to become a gigantic prickoid conservative pundit

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Deep Space Nine is the only Star Trek I've never seen anything from

Antimatter on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I need to get the Complete Series box set someday

This show was so good

Sweeney Tom on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    How many series over the past 10 years would not have been produced if B5 had not existed?

Seg on
    edited June 2011
    i'm on the second to last episode of season 3

i have to clean semen off my walls, ceiling, etc every time i finish an episode

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I never really watched this show

but I know there were some aliens on it with crazy broom hair

Centipede Damascus on
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is on instant on Netflix right now.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    edited June 2011

they are a pretty interesting race

the main representative of the centauri is one of the best acted characters in the show

at first you like him, but towards the middle he degenerates more and more even though he's fascinatingly conflicted

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Baidol wrote: »
    This is on instant on Netflix right now.

Oh hell yes.

Yukira on
    edited June 2011
    And since Fandy is on the last legs of season 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFvkgfBXHPA&feature=related

Baidol on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    when Babylon 5 first aired, i didn't give it much attention, cause it didn't "look real" compared to Star Trek (yeah, i know)

then i actually watched B5. the eventual bromance between G'kar and Londo was worth it alone.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    edited June 2011
    when Babylon 5 first aired, i didn't give it much attention, cause it didn't "look real" compared to Star Trek (yeah, i know)

then i actually watched B5. the eventual bromance between G'kar and Londo was worth it alone.

maybe i'm not far enough

but they kinda hate each other even though londo has just recently proven himself slightly less of a bastard

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, G'Kar was a great character.

Yukira on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

maybe i'm not far enough

but they kinda hate each other even though londo has just recently proven himself slightly less of a bastard

oh it gets better.

without spoiling anything for you, let's just say their relationship is complex as fuck. i was pretty sad when Andreas Katsulas passed away. he was a really good actor, and also played a few roles on TNG, including everyone's favorite Romulan bastard.

also, Ivanova is fucking awesome:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8oF0i5nvPI&NR=1

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    edited June 2011
    also it really sucks that the fellow who played doc franklin died from cancer right after the show ended :(

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    it is so good

i would characterize it as better then DS9 which is a helluva tough call because i love star trek

the guy who played garibaldi, jerry doyle, went on to become a gigantic prickoid conservative pundit

I watched this back when it was on broadcast television back-to-back with DS9, loved them both. DS9 was easier to follow non-consecutively, though. I watched them with my dad late at night, it was so much fun.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    no sci-fi series is better than TNG

come at me, bro

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Watching episode 1. As far as I can tell Londo is the best character with the most convincing actor.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    the only sci fi show I like is Eureka

is this as good as Eureka

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    oh man I love this show to death, mostly just seasons 2/3/4 but they are so goood

though I never could get into crusade, I always watch the first episode for a few minutes then get incredibly bored and do something else

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, it wasn't very good.

It was a little bit more watchable in the order JMS suggested you watch it in, which pretty much ignored the existence of the first episode completely.

Though, apparently the scripts for the episodes immediately after the cancellation were amazing.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Watching episode 1. As far as I can tell Londo is the best character with the most convincing actor.

they are a pretty interesting race

the main representative of the centauri is one of the best acted characters in the show

at first you like him, but towards the middle he degenerates more and more even though he's fascinatingly conflicted

Peter Jurasik is a boss.
    0bstH.jpg
    Seriously, the best character ever. (I've been studying him for seven days. I had the computer analyze it!)
    it is so good

Sad, but true.

P.S. You can tell what season of B5 you're watching just by Garibaldi's hairline, or lack thereof.

P.P.S. Fandy, should we ever meet, I will buy you a cup of hot jala for making this thread.

Tleilaxu on
    checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    god I love giant CG space battles

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited June 2011
    Oh, also, anyone thinking of buying this on DVD...
    YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Tleilaxu on
    checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    this show rules

I fucking love it so much.

Londo and G'kar for life

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Saw a couple clips from "Legend of the Rangers".

I'm sorry, B5 could be the best show ever, but that soured me more or less for good.

Not because of the show, exactly, but my mind won't be able to see anything related without flashbacks.

chiasaur11 on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    who wants to play the babylon 5 trading card game :whistle:

The card game was great. I remember it taking a while to finish a game though.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    edited June 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Saw a couple clips from "Legend of the Rangers".

I'm sorry, B5 could be the best show ever, but that soured me more or less for good.

Not because of the show, exactly, but my mind won't be able to see anything related without flashbacks.

Please watch season 1, episode 12: "By Any Means Necessary."
    The only actor involved that might produce flashbacks is Andreas Katsulas (R.I.P.)
    If you do not want to watch any more B5 episodes after that 41 minute investment, then so be it.
    Also, please pardon the Lightwave-rendered SFX. They were cutting-edge at the time; for cable TV.

Tleilaxu on
    checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • twitchmosstwitchmoss Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MY DEEEAAR MEEESTER GARIBALDI!

I love this show so much. Season five isn't that great, i'll admit. except for sleeping in light. that made me tear up at the end :(

which doesn't really justify HMV selling the dvd for season five at SEVENTY FUCKING POUNDS. especially after flogging seasons 1-4 at anything from 5 to 13 pounds. bastards.

twitchmoss on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Londo is appealing due to the fact that he tries to be the nice guy and he tries to get along with the Naarn and build a bridge of peace, its just that the universe won't let him. He tries to get out but they keep pulling him back in.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lost Canuck on
    QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
    edited June 2011
    Londo is appealing due to the fact that he tries to be the nice guy and he tries to get along with the Naarn and build a bridge of peace, its just that the universe won't let him. He tries to get out but they keep pulling him back in.

There's only one "a" in 49XoV.jpg.
    But, yes, that's part of why Londo is so tragically great.

Tleilaxu on
    checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    has anyone played the babylon project? I'm tempted, but it's based on the freespace 2 engine (it's basically a standalone mod for freespace 2 if I'm understanding it correctly) and FS2 was something I could never get into. So I'm dubious.

Deicist on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I played it. I sucked because I had never played a freespace game before in addition to the fact that I was playing on a laptop. However, learning that I could get to the Zahadoom beacon in hyperspace was an interesting feature.

RoyceSraphim on
    edited June 2011
    I've Found Her is a fan-made space combat flight simulator based on Babylon 5. It has been in development for more than a decade at this point, but a prequel campaign was released in 2003 which was good fun.

Baidol on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tallus wrote: »
    has anyone played the babylon project? I'm tempted, but it's based on the freespace 2 engine (it's basically a standalone mod for freespace 2 if I'm understanding it correctly) and FS2 was something I could never get into. So I'm dubious.

You really should get in Freespace 2 because its the best space fighter sim in existence.

Also the whole shadow war arc was boss as fuck, no one try to argue with me. The only thing that can rival it was the Dominion war in DS9.

Karl on