As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Witcher 3: Horse training simulator.

• WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    You can't retcon yourself in the same game.

Sure you can. DA2 does it to your "choices" all the time :P

EDIT:
    Wolfprint wrote: »
    No game feels complete without a satisfying end-boss fight with suitable denouement.

Off topic, but I've made the argument before that kotor2's ending would have been significantly stronger, or at least more fitting with the themes it presented, if it had ended at dantooine, rather than tacking on the boss rush at the end

I think it depends on how well the developers have been leading the player up to the point. If you've been playing a game that feels like hundreds of other mundane RPGs you're used to, you'll be expecting an end-boss fight. But if you've constantly been telling your player that this is a different sort of game, expectations will adjust. TW2 never made the difference explicit, but it is still a different sort of game.

I agree that the KOTOR2 ending was extremely rushed. What would have been better, was some well-scripted or well thought out denouement, explaining the consequences of your actions. You don't always need a boss fight. But as a player, and as a participant in a semi-narrative story, you will need some kind of satisfying closure. Because this is a game, and not real life dammit.

Wolfprint on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    just curious, has there been any talk of a 1.3 patch at all?

Yup.

http://www.en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/55/
    Moreover, we would like to assure you that announcing the Xbox 360 version of the game does not mean discontinuing support for the PC version. We read your comments, we listen to your opinions and we are working hard on the patch. Among other fixes the patch 1.3 will add support for 4:3 resolutions.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    also apparently the reason why there aren't any official forums up yet is because they contracted that out to an external company so they could finish the game

and the external company fucked it up

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well someone did it:

http://witchernexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=87
    Panel Tweaks - Better Item Sorting and Filters
    There are currently two main changes and one minor change:
    1) Adds a miscellaneous items filter to the inventory and trading panel.

I call it miscellaneous and hesitate to use the word junk. This is what's filtered by it: active items that don't
    appear in any of the other category filters (except "all items"). If that isn't junk, I don't know what is,
    but besides other things like trinkets, used traps, and the like, there's the unlikely chance it could have some other
    undisclosed value.

<<< ATTENTION GAMEPAD USERS >>>
    The miscellaneous items filter comes after the "all items" filter, even though it's in the top row. From feedback it
    seems to be convenient enough behavior to not change that.

2) Adds sorting buttons to the inventory and trading panel. By default items are sorted alphabetically in ascending order.

You can sort:
    2a) Alphabetically. Icon: Glagolitic letter "buky".
    d9ctr.jpg

2b) Time acquired. Icon: Hourglass
    8Gkjb.jpg

2c) By aggregate item weight. Icon: Weight.
    AKVr5.jpg

2d) By aggregate price. Icon: Oren.
    f2duC.jpg

Time acquired is pretty loosely defined as just the order they were in before they were sorted. So far it seems to
    be that the game initially orders the lists according to when you acquired an item. If you already have some quantity
    of a newly acquired item, the "time acquired" won't update because basically the item already in the list just
    gets one more quantity. I just mention this so you don't wonder where the item you just bought may have gone if
    sorted by time acquired.

If using a mouse, click the selected button again to change the ordering. See below if using a gamepad. The color of
    the button will change to show you the current order.

Sorting by name should take localization rules into account. If it doesn't please let me know, but I specified to sort
    them with that option.

Use the right trigger to cycle through the next sorting button. Use the left trigger to invert the sorting order.
    If you've remapped your input, then try whatever you've remapped it to or reset it.

3) Sorts the potions to drink alphabetically. As mentioned, the other panels like crafting and alchemy will later be
    in for the same treatment.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I actually feel like a second run at this, which is rare for me, especially so soon.

Is Iorveth's path considerably different? I have to assume that it is...

Kind of want to wait on the 1.3 patch for the aspect ratio. I also wonder what direction DLC will take; more integrated quests like 'Troll Trouble', or stuff that takes the form of additional chapters... If it's integrated, it makes sense to wait, but then again we might not see anything significant added until the 360 version hits.

Silent Tristero on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The entirety of chapter 2 is different, which in turn affects what happens in 3.

Basically, this game requires at minimum of two playthroughs or else you'll miss like a third or more of the game.

Zxerol on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well someone did it:

http://witchernexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=87
    Panel Tweaks - Better Item Sorting and Filters
    There are currently two main changes and one minor change:
    1) Adds a miscellaneous items filter to the inventory and trading panel.

I call it miscellaneous and hesitate to use the word junk. This is what's filtered by it: active items that don't
    appear in any of the other category filters (except "all items"). If that isn't junk, I don't know what is,
    but besides other things like trinkets, used traps, and the like, there's the unlikely chance it could have some other
    undisclosed value.

The miscellaneous items filter comes after the "all items" filter, even though it's in the top row. From feedback it
    seems to be convenient enough behavior to not change that.

2) Adds sorting buttons to the inventory and trading panel. By default items are sorted alphabetically in ascending order.

You can sort:
    2a) Alphabetically. Icon: Glagolitic letter "buky".
    d9ctr.jpg

2b) Time acquired. Icon: Hourglass
    8Gkjb.jpg

2c) By aggregate item weight. Icon: Weight.
    AKVr5.jpg

2d) By aggregate price. Icon: Oren.
    f2duC.jpg

Time acquired is pretty loosely defined as just the order they were in before they were sorted. So far it seems to
    be that the game initially orders the lists according to when you acquired an item. If you already have some quantity
    of a newly acquired item, the "time acquired" won't update because basically the item already in the list just
    gets one more quantity. I just mention this so you don't wonder where the item you just bought may have gone if
    sorted by time acquired.

If using a mouse, click the selected button again to change the ordering. See below if using a gamepad. The color of
    the button will change to show you the current order.

Sorting by name should take localization rules into account. If it doesn't please let me know, but I specified to sort
    them with that option.

Use the right trigger to cycle through the next sorting button. Use the left trigger to invert the sorting order.
    If you've remapped your input, then try whatever you've remapped it to or reset it.

3) Sorts the potions to drink alphabetically. As mentioned, the other panels like crafting and alchemy will later be
    in for the same treatment.
    Word.

Monger on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    bwhaha, theres a naked geralt mod up at the nexus, and he has a tiny ass.

i cant tell from the screenshots but i'm presuming its also contains witcher penis, since all the mod does is remove the underpant and use the original naked geralt model that is already in the game files.

Deaderinred on
  • hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    No penis. Sadly.

hailthefish on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    they did promise geralt ass in the game, and i guess they delivered. :P

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I just fought the Kayran last night. Holy fuck was that awesome,
    all chopping off his tentacles and then riding around on one and shit. Definitely reminded me of God of War's QTE (which I loved).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited June 2011
    Darmak wrote: »
    So I just fought the Kayran last night. Holy fuck was that awesome,
    all chopping off his tentacles and then riding around on one and shit. Definitely reminded me of God of War's QTE (which I loved).

I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with QTEs. For one, they aren't so hard that I can't complete them. But then when you're new to the game, or when sometimes the brain is on the fritz, and you screw up a QTE and have to replay the sequence, - man is it irritating.

Wolfprint on
    edited June 2011
    they're friggin' tiny, for one thing. if you're watching something cool happen elsewhere on the screen, you can easily miss the icon. i'd blow them up about 5 times the size they are now and make them blink brighter than they do now.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I absolutely could not do QTEs because the icons were SO TINY so I turned on Easy QTEs and now the icons are the size of my thumb

hailthefish on
  • MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So how high does your persuasion have to be to get Sile in the sack want to see if she keeps wearing the stupid headdress.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Malechai wrote: »
    So how high does your persuasion have to be to get Sile in the sack want to see if she keeps wearing the stupid headdress.

it never gets high enough. :(

i did persuade her.

she still ignored me
    it works out in the end

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This'll probably get me strung up by all you lovely PC gamers but... can I use my 360 pad with this game? Mouse + Keyboard put me off playing the first one when I tried it recently.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It has native support for 360 controllers, to the point where some of the bonky UI issues are probably because of it. Many people prefer it.

Zxerol on
    edited June 2011
    My God Dandelion is ploughing irritating in the books. He's like a medieval Johnny Storm, a Witcherverse hyperactive child with ADD.

Wolfprint on
  • Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My God Dandelion is ploughing irritating in the books. He's like a medieval Johnny Storm, a Witcherverse hyperactive child with ADD.
    That's weird. I loved him in TW2 after considering him a non-factor in TW1. It helps that the journal is written in his voice, which adds to the character.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • SchwhatSchwhat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    About normalcy:
    Also, I wonder if the dead assassin you encounter at the end of TW1/beginning of TW2 may have been more than a forgotten plot point. It may be that they forgot that there was a third guy, or there may have been more than one group of witcher-assassins, or that Letho is lying altogether.
    Didn't the flashbacks from regaining his memory (espcially the one where the wild hunt surrounded Geralt show Letho and 3 other witchers with Geralt. I guess while they didn't name him in the Witcher 2, it doesn't seem they forgot that he did exist.

Schwhat on
    edited June 2011
    Tim James wrote: »
    That's weird. I loved him in TW2 after considering him a non-factor in TW1. It helps that the journal is written in his voice, which adds to the character.

He's much less irritating in the game. More mature, if still retarded.
    Schwhat wrote: »
    About normalcy:
    Also, I wonder if the dead assassin you encounter at the end of TW1/beginning of TW2 may have been more than a forgotten plot point. It may be that they forgot that there was a third guy, or there may have been more than one group of witcher-assassins, or that Letho is lying altogether.
    Didn't the flashbacks from regaining his memory (espcially the one where the wild hunt surrounded Geralt show Letho and 3 other witchers with Geralt. I guess while they didn't name him in the Witcher 2, it doesn't seem they forgot that he did exist.

I honestly don't remember. I just have to take your word for it. I thought there were only three of them altogether.

Wolfprint on
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does anyone know if anyone has modded in (chapter 3)
    a way to get the ingredients for the Encrypted Manuscript? I have everything except for Nekker Warrior blood, and don't see a way to just console some into my inventory.

**Ah, never mind.

Antithesis on
    edited June 2011
    still doing iorveth's path in chapter 2

so far it seems a lot less focused than roche's side, not sure i'm a fan of that

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tim James wrote: »

He's much less irritating in the game. More mature, if still retarded.
    "You can make your own decisions, Dandelion. You're an adult. Kind of."

Monger on
    edited June 2011
    So, potions. Anyone use any potions other than Swallow/Wolf/Rook/Tawny Owl? These are the only potions I ever use. I remember using Petri's Philtre once, but that's about it. The rest of the potions have certain drawbacks, so I never found them worthwhile.

Wolfprint on
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thunderbolt, just never get hit or spam Quen because your life does depend on it.

Tertiee on
    edited June 2011
    So what potions would you recommend for a shirtless run? Apart from the ones listed above? Currently the only piece of clothing that I allow myself to upgrade are the boots.

Wolfprint on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Cat lets you see people's circulatory systems and is therefore awesome regardless of utility. Virga gives you some pretty good defensive bonuses at the expense only of reduced effects...I think.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
    edited June 2011
    I find Cat only useful in the mines. Other times there are enough light sources to see properly. Kinda wish they had some system where mixing different kinds of potions together would produce some effect other than toxicity.

Wolfprint on
    edited June 2011
    ugh, i hate the new cat and therefore avoided using it as much as possible

i want to see what i'm killing dammit

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    yeah the new cat sucks, i think i only used it once, i perfer witcher 1's cat. (plus dark areas were actually dark and not a brightness thing)

Deaderinred on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They seem to have taken into account that Geralt is actually supposed to be able to see in the dark without any potion shenanigans.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am so excited that I will eventually get to play this at some point, as I have no moneys for the PC.

Prohass on
  • DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Antithesis wrote: »
    Things I noticed:
    -The Order of the Flaming Rose camp outside of Loc Muinn attacked me immediately, I had no option but to sneak in with Iorveth. (Maybe that changes by path, though, I haven't done Roche yet.) Shame, because the quest text hinted that I could go there to see if anyone from Vizima was around.
    On my Order import/Roche path, there were three different conversation options depending on when I walked up to the guards: before Roche got there, when Roche was talking (in which case he was involved in the conversation, "Oh, here he is!"; and after. Depending on which, they'd let me in right off the bat or be all "uhhh the kingslayer?" until I was all, "maybe you should ask the grandmaster whose life I saved," and they're all "oooh." And then you meet with Siegfriend and bro it up.

The equipment you ask about are DLC.
    Fairly late-game spoilers:
    Letho says that he and his two pals whose names I've forgotten were involved in this plan. In that case, who's the guy Geralt kills at the end of the first game? The witcher trying to kill Foltest? Letho seemed to imply that there were only those three witchers, and since you definitely see the other two later, it can't be any of them. Is it a fourth witcher who's never mentioned, is it unrelated (witcher assassinating a king? Seems pretty unlikely), a plothole, or did I just miss the explanation?
    Retcon as far as I can tell. They say Demavend was the first targeted, so it's kind of a weird paradox with Geralt being hired to protect Foltest after he saved him from an assassin that didn't exist. That or they just neglect to mention there's another snake school witcher on the same path and it's just Letho, Serrit, and Auckes that targeted Demavend first, which makes mroe sense since the other would be a midgame retcon.

I'm thinking that
    Letho and the Viper Witchers aren't the only Witchers Nilfgaard has hired to assassinate the northern monarchs. Letho mentions there's 2 others that he knows of, but he doesn't know where they are. Quite possible that one of them was the assassin at the end of TW1

Dram on
    edited June 2011
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    They seem to have taken into account that Geralt is actually supposed to be able to see in the dark without any potion shenanigans.

then why can't i see in the mine :x

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dram wrote: »
    Things I noticed:
    -The Order of the Flaming Rose camp outside of Loc Muinn attacked me immediately, I had no option but to sneak in with Iorveth. (Maybe that changes by path, though, I haven't done Roche yet.) Shame, because the quest text hinted that I could go there to see if anyone from Vizima was around.
    On my Order import/Roche path, there were three different conversation options depending on when I walked up to the guards: before Roche got there, when Roche was talking (in which case he was involved in the conversation, "Oh, here he is!"; and after. Depending on which, they'd let me in right off the bat or be all "uhhh the kingslayer?" until I was all, "maybe you should ask the grandmaster whose life I saved," and they're all "oooh." And then you meet with Siegfriend and bro it up.

Letho says that he and his two pals whose names I've forgotten were involved in this plan. In that case, who's the guy Geralt kills at the end of the first game? The witcher trying to kill Foltest? Letho seemed to imply that there were only those three witchers, and since you definitely see the other two later, it can't be any of them. Is it a fourth witcher who's never mentioned, is it unrelated (witcher assassinating a king? Seems pretty unlikely), a plothole, or did I just miss the explanation?
    Retcon as far as I can tell. They say Demavend was the first targeted, so it's kind of a weird paradox with Geralt being hired to protect Foltest after he saved him from an assassin that didn't exist. That or they just neglect to mention there's another snake school witcher on the same path and it's just Letho, Serrit, and Auckes that targeted Demavend first, which makes mroe sense since the other would be a midgame retcon.

I'm thinking that
    Letho and the Viper Witchers aren't the only Witchers Nilfgaard has hired to assassinate the northern monarchs. Letho mentions there's 2 others that he knows of, but he doesn't know where they are. Quite possible that one of them was the assassin at the end of TW1
    You see both of them in Roche's path. It could possibly be another, but then it's someone who is never mentioned throughout the entire story, which is strange since it's kind of the person who kicked off Geralt's involvement in the whole thing.

AnteCantelope on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dram wrote: »
    Things I noticed:

I'm thinking that
    You see both of them in Roche's path. It could possibly be another, but then it's someone who is never mentioned throughout the entire story, which is strange since it's kind of the person who kicked off Geralt's involvement in the whole thing.
    I think that's Serrit and Auckes you meet in Roche's path - Letho mentions that there are two other witchers of the Viper school that he hasn't seen in years.

Yougottawanna on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, Cat was a bit garish and annoying to use, but it let you see people's circulatory systems, and is therefore awesome regardless of utility.

Also, spoilers for both games with question for those who read the books:
    What is the status of witchers now? Kaer Morhen had like, three other witchers after Leo's and Berengar's deaths, excluding Geralt. Assuming they're all Wolf School, how many other Wolf witchers are there? Do they have a leader, or a training grounds aside from Kaer Morhen (which sounded pretty important by the mutagen theft)? The wiki mentions Cat and Griffin schools, but only referenced in one graphic novel. Is there a different school per region, like Viper in Nilfgaard and Wolf in the north?

You'd think with so many goddamn monsters everywhere there'd be high demand.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, Cat was a bit garish and annoying to use, but it let you see people's circulatory systems, and is therefore awesome regardless of utility.

Also, spoilers for both games with question for those who read the books:
    What is the status of witchers now? Kaer Morhen had like, three other witchers after Leo's and Berengar's deaths, excluding Geralt. Assuming they're all Wolf School, how many other Wolf witchers are there? Do they have a leader, or a training grounds aside from Kaer Morhen (which sounded pretty important by the mutagen theft)? The wiki mentions Cat and Griffin schools, but only referenced in one graphic novel. Is there a different school per region, like Viper in Nilfgaard and Wolf in the north?

You'd think with so many goddamn monsters everywhere there'd be high demand.

You know how the guards in Flotsam say "We have a garrison, we don't need a witcher."? As countries like Nilfgard have become more organized and their military and police grow in size and ability, witchers just aren't as needed anymore.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".