As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Super Mario 3D Land less than a month away!

• AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh man, there's an Ace Combat coming out for this? YES.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    I think Nintendo are attempting to push the price points of handheld downloadable titles up in accordance with their theory that the plethora of .99 games on iOS is significantly devaluing the handheld market

I agree a more Steamlike model would work far better though. Weekly or fortnightly sales on things. Port more shit from GB, GBA and potentially DS over to the Virtual Console. Attract more developers. Shit like that.

I think there are two problems with this. You can't just ignore the rest of the market and say 'these games are worth X' when similar games (and in the case of Zenonia, Plants Vs Zombies, and I'm sure a few others, the exact same game), are available significantly cheaper everywhere else. The other problem is that I really don't think the games are worth what they're asking anyway. I can see 3D remakes like Excitebike going for around $5-10 happily, but plain old ports of 10yo games? Alleyway on 3DS is the same price as Arcanum on GOG? Zenonia and Plants V Zombies the same price as Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape?

They also just plain old need more games. Steam tells me it has 951 games under $10. The iOS appstore has some ridiculous number of games, all dirt cheap. You can't just say that cheap games devalue the market and thus ignore your competition's price point, or you end up with people like me who are interested in seeing the store, download it almost as soon as it comes out, browse it quickly and then leave, possibly never to return, because the prices are so ridiculous.

Hell, if you're going to charge a premium, at least make the service worthy of a premium. Make it easier to browse, to find things, give me demos, don't make me buy money in blocks. Do a little something to earn my money, instead of just sullenly saying that the cheaper store down the road's ruining the neighbourhood.

Completely agree - if they're trying to pull in premium money, they have to offer a premium service and premium games. They're certainly never going to be competitive in price with iPhone games, so they should focus more on courting high-end indie devs for downloadable platform exclusives.

Shantae is a completely stupid price in the UK (£11, which is more than what I paid for Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 2 combined a month ago) but is one of the few titles on the store that is a genuinely premium experience - better than any retail 2D Metroidvania I've played on DS, and something that I cannot buy on iPhone even if I wanted to.

The problem, as stated, is that all of the non-shoddy stuff on offer is completely out of impulse purchase range, and doesn't offer the depth and length that would justify these price tags. Except Link's Awakening, and even that's on the outer limits. I do think demos are too much to hope for given Nintendo's attitude on them in the past, though.

Bioptic on
  • JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Add Mr. Driller to the list of reccomended DSiWare titles. Really fun, quickplay game.

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yea, I bought cave story and shantae and that was a good chunk of change.
    I love both of them, but, man, c'mon. One is a freeware game, and one might as well almost be retail.

That and the fact that it is almost impossible to find anything in the estore.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    It really is a fantastic OP, Rehab. Makes me excited for everything that's coming - there's a lot to look forward to with this device, just as there was with the original DS. It just needs time to get off the ground.

I'm feeling kind of the opposite; I was hoping for more third-party announcements to catch my eye, but so far the only new games that's really got me intrigued are Heroes of Ruin and Rolling Western, and I don't even know if that's first- or third-party. I do have plenty of games lined up to buy this year -- Super Mario, Mario Kart, Bit.Trip Saga, RE: Mercenaries, probably Kid Icarus -- but a lot of Nintendo's bigger heavy-hitters just don't do anything for me, including OoT, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion, and Animal Crossing. Starfox is a potential pickup, but probably only when it's cheaper.

I'm fine being patient -- the DS took a while to really get going, too -- but I was hoping for more surprises. Here's looking to TGS, though! And I'm currently working through Link's Awakening, so I'm happy for the time being.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited June 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thUmSxGg43E

So is this just a 3D Professor Layton, or...?

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hell, if you're going to charge a premium, at least make the service worthy of a premium. Make it easier to browse, to find things, give me demos, don't make me buy money in blocks. Do a little something to earn my money, instead of just sullenly saying that the cheaper store down the road's ruining the neighbourhood.

I think that this is the best suggestion for the system. Would have saved me from wasting $1.99 on Treasure Hunter X.

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I think that this is the best suggestion for the system. Would have saved me from wasting $1.99 on Treasure Hunter X.

Also this site, where you can see it has a 5/10 rating.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bioptic wrote: »
    Jintor wrote: »
    I think Nintendo are attempting to push the price points of handheld downloadable titles up in accordance with their theory that the plethora of .99 games on iOS is significantly devaluing the handheld market

I agree a more Steamlike model would work far better though. Weekly or fortnightly sales on things. Port more shit from GB, GBA and potentially DS over to the Virtual Console. Attract more developers. Shit like that.

I think there are two problems with this. You can't just ignore the rest of the market and say 'these games are worth X' when similar games (and in the case of Zenonia, Plants Vs Zombies, and I'm sure a few others, the exact same game), are available significantly cheaper everywhere else. The other problem is that I really don't think the games are worth what they're asking anyway. I can see 3D remakes like Excitebike going for around $5-10 happily, but plain old ports of 10yo games? Alleyway on 3DS is the same price as Arcanum on GOG? Zenonia and Plants V Zombies the same price as Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape?

They also just plain old need more games. Steam tells me it has 951 games under $10. The iOS appstore has some ridiculous number of games, all dirt cheap. You can't just say that cheap games devalue the market and thus ignore your competition's price point, or you end up with people like me who are interested in seeing the store, download it almost as soon as it comes out, browse it quickly and then leave, possibly never to return, because the prices are so ridiculous.

I do think demos are too much to hope for given Nintendo's attitude on them in the past, though.

Just on this point, it may be too much to ask (and I'm generally understanding of the fact that a demo takes time and money), but it's the simplest example I could think of to make them deserve the premium they charge. Hell, most iOS games have demos or free versions, so even then it's only playing catch-up with the cheapest, bottom-of-the-barrel part of their competition.

AnteCantelope on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does anyone know if there are plans to keep remaking old NES games in 3D like Excitebike? I could spend a few bucks there (don't price them at 9.99 each Nintendo)

Mr Pink on
    edited June 2011
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are plans to keep remaking old NES games in 3D like Excitebike? I could spend a few bucks there (don't price them at 9.99 each Nintendo)

According to a Japanese Iwata Asks, there will be six, at least initially. Japan got both Excitebike and Xevious.

This is the list of 3D demos that were showcased at E3 2010, though some were little more than screenshot mockups:
    Mario Bros.
    Tennis
    Super Mario Bros.
    The Legend of Zelda
    Metroid
    Musasame
    Punch-Out!!
    Excitebike
    NES Open Golf
    Twin Bee
    Super Mario World
    Kirby's Adventure
    Mega Man 2
    Castlevania
    Urban Champ
    Kid Icarus
    Yoshi's Island
    Smash Ping Pong

http://ds.ign.com/articles/109/1098405p1.html

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited June 2011
    I'd love a 3D metroid

and I'd love to see how they'd do 3D Zelda

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I played Shantae again now that I've transfered it over to my 3DS and lost all my save games (grr). Wow, it still looks pretty damn good on the 3DS. Plants vs. Zombies looked like shit because 3DS stretches the DS's native resolution, but in this you couldn't even really tell.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am actually pretty certain the reason we haven't gotten Yoshi's Island for the VC is that they are planning on 3Ding it up....or at least that's what I choose to believe.

In other words, I'd buy it, even if I have the original cart already. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Davoid wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thUmSxGg43E

So is this just a 3D Professor Layton, or...?

It seems to throw in a bit of turn based combat, but is otherwise indeed more than a little 'inspired' by everyone's favourite consummate gentleman.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited June 2011
    Psssh, I'll just wait for Professor Layton, as he's much classier.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • TikhonTikhon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think I'm going to have to pick up OoT. I do not own a 3DS yet, but the soundtrack is forcing my hand.

What hoops do you have to jump through to get it?

Tikhon on
    cockman.jpg
    edited June 2011
    We should be getting an update today of what's coming on eShop on thursday, but Nintendo's press site is running late.

Jave on

edited June 2011
    Jave wrote: »
    We should be getting an update today of what's coming on eShop on thursday, but Nintendo's press site is running late.

Are they still doing the updates on Monday? Joystiq seemed to think they weren't posting them until later in the week now...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited June 2011
    I suppose, I haven't heard anything official on the eShop news being moved past Mondays.

Wii Shop still updates on Mondays (I think), but there hasn't been anything on that yet.

Jave on

edited June 2011
    I suppose, I haven't heard anything official on the eShop news being moved past Mondays.

Wii Shop still updates on Mondays (I think), but there hasn't been anything on that yet.

Joystiq said everything is coming out Thurs now (including WiiWare/DSiWare), though who the hell knows if that's accurate.

Warlock82 on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Joystiq said everything is coming out Thurs now (including WiiWare/DSiWare), though who the hell knows if that's accurate.

Well, I'm on their media email list and I haven't gotten anything today (I always do), so maybe that really is the case.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited June 2011
    DSiWare was definitely moved to Thursdays, as Nintendo.com lists three DSiWare titles dated for June 16.

Jave on

edited June 2011
    I vaguely recall something from e3 where Nintendo said they were going to send out the e-mails a little early so that developers had time to advertise, etc. I don't remember the specifics though.

Warlock82 on
    edited June 2011
    From what I remember, the new updates for all shops (e-shop/Wiiware/VC/DSiWare/etc) was now going to be Thursday.

They are supposed to do the press release on Monday's with what the coming update is supposed to be.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited June 2011
    Just got a press release.
    Sometimes you just need to shake things up to keep them interesting. That’s especially true with the recent launch of the Nintendo eShop, a new virtual store that gives Nintendo 3DS™ users access to a wide variety of downloadable games and select content that can be viewed in 3D without the need for special glasses. To mark the debut of the Nintendo eShop – and provide consumers with a valuable one-stop showcase of all the latest downloadable content across Nintendo systems – the weekly Nintendo Download is about to get a makeover.

Starting June 16, the Nintendo Download will include information about the newest additions to the Nintendo eShop, including new 3D games, 3D Classics (select classic video games re-mastered in 3D), Virtual Console™ versions of games from the Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color systems, and hundreds of games originally offered via the Nintendo DSiWare™ service. What’s more, this modified weekly update will be posted Thursdays instead of Mondays, giving fans a heads-up on the latest offerings just in time for the weekend.

Loyal readers can rest assured that the Nintendo Download will continue to feature the latest items for the WiiWare™, Nintendo DSiWare and Wii Virtual Console services, highlighting the ever-growing variety of instantly downloadable games and entertainment for Nintendo systems. Likewise, content will continue to be added to the Wii Shop Channel and Nintendo DSi Shop on a weekly basis, also on Thursdays.

I had also heard that they were going to announce what the games were ahead of time... maybe that detail got lost?

cloudeagle on
    edited June 2011
    The whole thing seems really confused by this point. Earlier it was said that they'd announce Monday and release Thursday. Now that PR indicates that they'll be doing both on Thursday. Who knows.

UncleSporky on
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kaseius wrote: »
    My 3DS didn't come with a stylus, and it's brand new. Good start?

there wasn't a little plastic bag in with the manuals and shit?

no dice, and according to the quick start guide it was supposed to be inside the system's holder, which was totally empty :(

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, it seems it's official everything has been moved to Thursdays. I was kinda hoping for them to keep the PR on Mondays, though, giving us some time to think what to buy.

Jave on

edited June 2011
    Yeah, it seems it's official everything has been moved to Thursdays. I was kinda hoping for them to keep the PR on Mondays, though, giving us some time to think what to buy.

I think a lot of people would hate that, though. Get all excited for a game and you can't buy it for three days, at which point you've forgotten about it or thought better of your purchase. It's bad for Nintendo too, it takes away a bit of the impulse buy mentality.

I do think Thursday is a better day though, because more people have time to play their new games on the weekend.

UncleSporky on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2011
    Question: Is there a snap-on case or something for the 3DS that moves the stylus to the DS Lite's spot? Coming from the DS Lite (and being right handed), I really hate the placement of the stylus on the 3DS

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2011
    Keith wrote: »
    Question: Is there a snap-on case or something for the 3DS that moves the stylus to the DS Lite's spot? Coming from the DS Lite (and being right handed), I really hate the placement of the stylus on the 3DS

I doubt it, but yeah, stylus placement on 3DS is retarded. DSi was perfect.

Warlock82 on
    edited June 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »

I doubt it, but yeah, stylus placement on 3DS is retarded. DSi was perfect.

Actually, I like it a lot better. With the DSLite, I was always paranoid that the stylus would snag on my pants while taking it in or out of my pocket. I don't worry about that at all with the 3DS.

cloudeagle on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really don't want to drop $250 on one of these, particularly because of the nigh inevitable hardware refresh somewhere down the line. OoT is just forcing my hand, though. It looks so good. And then maybe they'd do Majora's Mask, which is totally a better game.

Mustachio Jones on
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Do DSiWare games ever go on sale? $12 for Shantae seems a bit steep. (Yes, I realize it's not $20/40/60 like most console games, but I do most of my game "purchases" through Goozex, so spending real monies for games is a bit tight at the moment.)

On that note, is the game a remake with DS functionality, or is it just a port from the GBC/GBA?

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    Shantae's neither a port nor a remake, it's a game all its own. Gorgeous sprite art.

So people were talking about the stylus, I got a question too - does anyone else use it in its short mode rather than extend it? I do it all the time, sort of in the interest of saving time but I also like how it feels. I was also that weird kid in school who used 2 inch long pencils sharpened at both ends.

UncleSporky on
    edited June 2011
    I always make sure it's extended. :winky:

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited June 2011
    Do DSiWare games ever go on sale?

Nope. And given recent comments from Nintendo execs, nothing's ever going on sale.
    $12 for Shantae seems a bit steep.

Nope. Trust us, it's awesome and worth every penny.

cloudeagle on
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does anyone else get rubber marks from the circle pad and does anyone else find that irritating?

Also is it weird to really like the e-shop music?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I just won Shadow Wars for $18.50 new off an auction. Worth it?

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
This discussion has been closed.