As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Old Games For The Win.

InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
So there's a thread that's going on trying to shoot down the OP's... opinion (arguably) on how old games suck, and here I present to the good people here a thread to discuss old games on all consoles, the good ones, the bad ones, the painful ones. Undeniably, most, if not all of our fondest gaming memories in gaming has to do with old, if not ancient games, and while I don't consider myself old by any means, I've played a fair share of old games through Freeware releases or bargain bin buys; although some of the old games are honestly becoming a little bit unplayable.

I just bought myself Starlancer which in my opinion is mindblowingly awesome with Co-Op, downloaded both Hidden & Dangerous and Ground Control [both free to download], rebought Final Fantasy 7 and 9. These are a few examples of the huge amount of awesomeness that old games hold, if one is willing to overlook innovations or graphical improvements that has conquered the gaming world (sorta). [Though honestly, H&D is bordering on unplayable with its limited draw distances].

Anyway, old games still rock. Some of them suck. But most of them rock.

Discuss.

camo_sig2.png
Inzigna on

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I have a confession to make. I've never played Super Smash Bros. Melee, but I regularly pull out the N64 so that my wife and I can beat each other up in the original.

Also, I didn't play FFVII until I bought a PS2 (my brother and I had an N64 instead of a PSX), and I liked it, but I think playing it late took away some of the wow factor. 3D wasn't new anymore, and as early 3D games go FFVII is pretty ugly.

The retro games that I continually go back to are the old school platformers. Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3 (I've never beaten 1...World 8 can fuck right off), Super Mario World, and Sonic 2, 3, and Knuckles (I loved 1 when it came out, but I miss the spin dash when I go to replay it).

Why aren't platformers as good now as they were then? Don't get me wrong, I loves me some Sly Cooper, but it's not quite the same. And I liked Jak and Daxter and Ratchet & Clank, too, but they're more about gunplay than platforming.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm stuck with a chinese computer system for atleast the next 10-12 weeks that doesn't have the ram required to run windows (224 megs). That and it has a onboard S3 video card as my only option. Old games are all I have to pass the time while I save money.

Also, some old games never got new games that made them obsolete. Xcom is a perfect example because even xcom Apoclypse screwed up the formula that was genius from the first two IMHO of course. Every Xcom clone thats come out in the last 3-4 years, and there have been alot, have all had glaring differences that subtract from the experiance, and didn't make me think the game was really all that good, just another half assed attempt.

But yea, my current play list right now is Xcom: TFTD, Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, MegaMek.Net (woot BAttletech), and an online game of Sorcerors Crusade I am playing with friends back in the states via ventrillo and OpenRPG. I don't believe in Oblivion you can be a Playboy Thief that uses Time and physical magic to finance his fake noble background, while stopping evil forces and their various evil plots.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ground control free to download? Really?
    I bought it back in the day. Great game.

Anyway, I play a fair mixture. I'll still hold Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2, Sonic 3&K and unheard-of classics like Giants and Sacrifice over many games.

Xagarath on
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Some old games get way too much respect. I'm all for reverence but Metal Gear was a pretty shitty NES game even in it's hayday.

FF9 though, which was mentioned, is easy in my top 5 all time for excellent games

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Bob SappBob Sapp Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I thought FF9 was the worst of the PS1 FFs.

Also, I've been playing Wolfenstein 3-D lately. Up to ep4. Still pretty fun although i miss the traditional mouse and keyboard setup of today's FPS. Xbox 360 controller for the save!

Bob Sapp on
    fizzatar.jpg
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Creatures 2 - C64
    Creatures 2 - C64
    Creatures 2 - C64
    Creatures 2 - C64
    Creatures 2 - C64

I shall repeat this until someone else plays it.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bob Sapp wrote: »
    I like 8 too but as a game, especially a FF... it was kinda broken.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • bombcarbombcar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fool's Errand is a rockin' old puzzle game that will make your brain asplode.

bombcar on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Despite not being that big of a Nintendo fan, I will replay Ocarina of Time and Super Metroid just about every year, and I will so but Super Metroid again when it comes out on the VC, and I'd probably buy OoT DS if it came out next year. (It would sorta make sense, 10th Anniversary and all.) I love them so much.

Also, despite them being ported to everything under the sun, I've only recently discovered the old Resident Evil games, and I'm having a blast. Too bad Umbrella Chronicles had to go the route it did.

Darlan on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bob Sapp wrote: »
    I like 8 too but as a game, especially a FF... it was kinda broken.

I like all 3, but 7 is undoubtedly the weakest.

Xagarath on
  • GroovyMr1337GroovyMr1337 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Deus Ex isnt that old. but still awesome.

GroovyMr1337 on
  • SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Pinball tables are timeless.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • astroboyastroboy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wait. . .

How old does a game have to be to be considered "old"?

astroboy on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: PlayerOne
    My Collection
  • ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    King's Quest V, VI, VII
    Simon the Sorcerer
    Sam & Max
    Loom
    Monkey Island

Basically any adventure game back in the days of DOS. Why the genre hasn't been kickstarted into next gen is beyond me. We have a few every now and then, but overall it's slim pickings. :(

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    Why aren't platformers as good now as they were then? Don't get me wrong, I loves me some Sly Cooper, but it's not quite the same. And I liked Jak and Daxter and Ratchet & Clank, too, but they're more about gunplay than platforming.

I think the problem with platformers now is the prerequisite that every game now needs to be 3D, because "teh kidz" don't go for 2D graphics anymore. Games like Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter excel as examples of the genre in recent years, but they focus more on combat than difficult jumping/navigating.

I don't know about you, but a common complaint I hear from people about 3D is that they have trouble judging perspective and/or distance in a 3D landscape, so the harder jumps and obstacles in games like R&T or J&D give your average gamer more trouble than they might have in a 2D game. I think this might be what forces developers to concentrate less on platforming and more on other aspects of the game to flesh it out.

Vargas Prime on
  • strike_the_tripstrike_the_trip Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I was a sucker for PC adventure games from LucasArts and Sierra. Add to that Frederik Pohl's Gateway; the Myst series; and KEMCO's Shadowgate, Deja Vu, and Uninvited; Burncycle; and hell, The Legend of Zelda.

My favorite platformers where the ToeJam & Earl games and E.V.O. though I guess E.V.O. isn't really that old.

Then for flight(ish) sims, there's the Red Baron/Aces series from Dynamix (Sierra); the MechWarrior games (which I thought had unbelievable 3D at the time); Star Wars: X Wing, Imperial Pursuits, and B-Wing.

The only FPS I can remember playing were Wolfenstein, Blake Stone, and eventually Doom. There was a great star wars FPS called Dark Forces or something like that, but that didn't come around until later.

strike_the_trip on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Some old games get way too much respect. I'm all for reverence but Metal Gear was a pretty shitty NES game even in it's hayday.

FF9 though, which was mentioned, is easy in my top 5 all time for excellent games

The NES version was utter shit compared to the original MSX version, which MGS3: Subsistence had a Cell Phone port of.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I was a sucker for PC adventure games from LucasArts and Sierra.

Hell yeah. I loved all the Quest games, Indiana Jones, Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle... Also, "Circle of Blood" was a great game (the first of the Broken Sword series), although I never played any of the sequels...

Has anyone played the re-release anthologies of the Kings Quest/Space Quest/Police Quest games that they put out for WinXP? Do they work?

Vargas Prime on
    edited June 2007

Hell yeah. I loved all the Quest games, Indiana Jones, Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle... Also, "Circle of Blood" was a great game (the first of the Broken Sword series), although I never played any of the sequels...

Has anyone played the re-release anthologies of the Kings Quest/Space Quest/Police Quest games that they put out for WinXP? Do they work?

I heard they were the DOS versions and it just used DosBox.

Bob Sapp on
    fizzatar.jpg
    edited June 2007

I had (it might still be at my parents' house) the Space Quest collection. It ran wonderfully under XP.

I miss Sierra adventure games. They should make more.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Work yes, but the collections simply suck.

Zell on
  • strike_the_tripstrike_the_trip Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oohhhhh shit - I left some off! How could I forget:

Space Ace
    Dragon's Lair
    Leisure Suit Larry
    Street Fighter
    Mission Impossible
    Vargas Prime wrote:
    strike_the_trip wrote:

Wow, I didn't know that they re-released the Police Quest games. I'll have to check on that.

strike_the_trip on
    edited June 2007
    Zell wrote: »

What is it about them that you think sucks? I've, admittedly, only played the Space Quest Collection, but I loved it. All the games were there, and they all ran great on my XP computer.

Sure, it didn't come with a shit ton of extras, but I didn't need extras. I just wanted to play the games.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited June 2007

Can you elaborate? I might pick up one of these collections some time.

Bob Sapp on
    fizzatar.jpg
    edited June 2007

What is it about them that you think sucks? I've, admittedly, only played the Space Quest Collection, but I loved it. All the games were there, and they all ran great on my XP computer.

Sure, it didn't come with a shit ton of extras, but I didn't need extras. I just wanted to play the games.
    Wiki wrote:
    The new Space Quest Collection, along with the other Sierra adventure collections released at the same time, has been highly criticized by game reviewers and fans alike[citation needed] for the poor production values of the compilation, lack of any extras, and the exclusion of the original EGA version of Space Quest 1.
    Wiki wrote:
    Leisure Suit Larry Collection (2006): this collection, rather than simply containing all the previous Larry games updated to be compatible for Windows XP, only contains Larrys 1–6 (except for the EGA version of Larry 1, and the full talkie SVGA version of Larry 6). According to www.Allowe.com, Vivendi excluded Larry 7 from the collection in fear that the hidden ending would give the collection an Adults only rating. However, it is unknown why the EGA version of Larry 1 is missing from the collection.

There was something wrong with the King's Quest collection too, but Wiki says nothing about it.

Zell on
  • ScrabbleDudeScrabbleDude Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    FF9, Street Fighter 2, Contra, Ninja Gaiden 2, Wonderboy 1-3, Kenseiden.....

So many awesome old games. I love so many of them.

Oh, King's Quest VI and Leisure Suit Larry VGA also hold a special place in my heart.

ScrabbleDude on
  • FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

The NES version was utter shit compared to the original MSX version, which MGS3: Subsistence had a Cell Phone port of.

I loved Metal Gear on NES, it's like a high-tech Zelda. It's the only Metal Gear I've really liked.

Firebrand on
    edited June 2007

Wiki wrote:
    The new Space Quest Collection, along with the other Sierra adventure collections released at the same time, has been highly criticized by game reviewers and fans alike[citation needed] for the poor production values of the compilation, lack of any extras, and the exclusion of the original EGA version of Space Quest 1.
    Wiki wrote:
    Leisure Suit Larry Collection (2006): this collection, rather than simply containing all the previous Larry games updated to be compatible for Windows XP, only contains Larrys 1–6 (except for the EGA version of Larry 1, and the full talkie SVGA version of Larry 6). According to www.Allowe.com, Vivendi excluded Larry 7 from the collection in fear that the hidden ending would give the collection an Adults only rating. However, it is unknown why the EGA version of Larry 1 is missing from the collection.

There was something wrong with the King's Quest collection too, but Wiki says nothing about it.

I didn't notice any poor production values, but Wiki is right that the compilations were fairly bare-bones. I didn't mind though because I had versions of some of my favorite games that worked on modern computers. How anybody could bitch about lack of extras when you get 5 or 6 games, though, is beyond me.

To each their own I suppose, but if you're a fan of the various Sierra adventure series I think you'll have a good time with the compilations.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Most NES games are kinda meh to me these days, but some of the classics are still a lot of fun (Mario games, Zelda, KIRBY!)

The SNES is still probably my favorite system of all time, it had good sound, and could do just enough in the graphics department that even now the spirte based games can be pleasing to the eye, but couldn't 'wow' with just graphics, so the gameplay had to be really good to have staying power.

LockeCole on
    edited June 2007
    Eh, just shoving DOSBox on a disc with the games in in some cases not even configuring it properly is shitty production values.

Leaving out better versions of games.

Including only pdf manuals, leaving the copy protection in and leaving the wrong manual on the disc so you'll have to Google for it to get past the copy protection...

If you're a fan of Sierra adventure series, you'll cry when you see how little respect Sierra now has for them.

Zell on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I really don't understand the hate for FF7. Is it because it has a large fanbase? Because I thought the game was phenomenal. But it was my first 3D RPG, so it holds a place next to my heart, hehe.

I was hugely disappointed by FF8, but I did still take the time to finish it completely. I thought FF9 was amazing. So I dunno, I have weird tastes. :)

urahonky on
    edited June 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    I really don't understand the hate for FF7. Is it because it has a large fanbase? Because I thought the game was phenomenal. But it was my first 3D RPG, so it holds a place next to my heart, hehe.

I was hugely disappointed by FF8, but I did still take the time to finish it completely. I thought FF9 was amazing. So I dunno, I have weird tastes. :)

I don't hate it, but I don't think it's really anything special either.
    To be fair, my first FF was 8, then I played X, and then I went back and played VII. The only thing I really hated about it was that damned submarine minigame.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Contra 3: The Alien Wars was and still is one of the greatest games ever. Been playing the GBA port and while some things have been changed, the core manliness is still there in all it's glory. But then many will disagree with me when I say that the gba version is a competent port.

RichardTauber on
    edited June 2007

I don't hate it, but I don't think it's really anything special either.
    To be fair, my first FF was 8, then I played X, and then I went back and played VII. The only thing I really hated about it was that damned submarine minigame.

Okay, yeah... that Submarine game was pretty lame. But the Motorcycle scene made up for that. In my opinion... of course. :)

I think the people that hate it... played it too late. I mean, there's nothing really, REALLY special about the game... except that it's the first good 3D RPG out for the PS1. That and it has a HUGE nostalgia factor to it... to me anyway.

urahonky on
    edited June 2007
    Contra 3: The Alien Wars was and still is one of the greatest games ever. Been playing the GBA port and while some things have been changed, the core manliness is still there in all it's glory. But then many will disagree with me when I say that the gba version is a competent port.

Not sure if you know this, but this was released on the Wii's VC.

It's still balls hard though. :P

urahonky on
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I was always fond of my 64.. No games were as eye popping as Shadows of the Empire and Mario 64 when i first got them, but i played some real gems that i still remember.

Aidyn Chronicles, Ogres Battle, Tetrisphere and Battlezone Rise of the black dogs- Are all games that took an old idea and improved it, even if its been perfected since then.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Wiki wrote:
    Wiki wrote:

The only thing I see wrong with King's Quest so far, is that for KQVI, they felt the need to change the portrait graphics. The DOS version I have has these beautiful portraits of all the characters as they talk, this version has some cheap 16bit redesign.

Nothing big...just one of the most important damn features of the game IMHO

/fume

my old game http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/KQ6/kq65.jpg
    the 'new' version http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/ss/6792_0.png
    (hopefully the images load for you guys, as they're blocked at work for me.)

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The main form of entertainment at my friends' apartment now is a SNES. We'd be playing a lot of Tetris Attack, then a couple days ago I brought over Mario Kart and Tetris/Dr. Mario. It's great fun.

SNES is the only "old games" system I still play with any regularity. I just gotta pop in Star Fox or Donkey Kong Country or Yoshi's Island or Super Mario World every now and again.

bruin on
  • ScrabbleDudeScrabbleDude Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Not sure if you know this, but this was released on the Wii's VC.

It's still balls hard though. :P
    The GBA version of Contra 3 is fantastic. I love that they through in Hard Corps levels because it made it fresh to me. Oh, and when buying the game I had to go into EB every day for about 3 weeks waiting for it to finally arrive.

Contra 3 is actually pretty easy for me -- just because I've played it a million times.

ScrabbleDude on
  • TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Everyone should go back on their SNES' and pull out the OG Mega Man X. That shit is too good for the human race. Also, it's easy enough in the beginning where you won't shoot yourself (ala the rest of the X series) but difficult enough in the end where I still haven't beaten that bastard. Any tips on that, by the way?

I think everyone should just agree that FF 7-9 are still leaps and bounds above most of the other PS1 RPG's, so we should love them and accept their nuances differences. But Ff 7 is still better.

Watch out for Link's Awakening, too. As a kid, I broke my ghetto blaster gameboy by slamming my face into it while playing that game. That's some serious love/hate.

Tylerbroor on