As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Playing Demon's Souls feels like ripping out my own ball hair

KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Social Entropy++
List of people who want assistance in acquiring stress-related illnesses

Demon's Souls
Forum name - PSN ID

KrunkMcGrunk - KrrunkMcGrunk
Melding - CptMelding
Svidrigailov - Svidrigailov

Dark Souls PSN
Forum name - PSN ID

KrunkMcGrunk - KrrunkMcGrunk
Svidrigailov - Svidrigailov

Dark Souls 360
Forum name - XBL Tag

I just bought a PS3, and I heard this game was rad, so I picked it up. Jesus Christ, it's like slamming my dick in a desk drawer. This game is hard as shit! The best comparison I can make is, this game is a roguelike except you don't lose all your shit when you die - and you will die a lot.

Any of you dudes played Demon's Souls? Got any tips? Stories? Did the Black Knight push your shit in too? Is it just me, or is timing a parry completely fucked?

Oh yeah, if you're interested in this game, now is the time to get it. The servers go offline Oct 11, 2011.

mrsatansig.png
KrunkMcGrunk on

• Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I liked that the end boss for the swamp area could knee me in the balls so hard I die

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    also fuck giant goblins

fuck dual wielding skeletons that breathe fire

fuck that one phantom with the shield and spear in 1-4

fuck all dragons

fuck the boss of 2-3

am i forgetting anything

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just bought a PS3, and I heard this game was rad, so I picked it up. Jesus Christ, it's like slamming my dick in a desk drawer. This game is hard as shit! The best comparison I can make is, this game is a roguelike except you don't lose all your shit when you die - and you will die a lot.

Any of you dudes played Demon's Souls? Got any tips? Stories? Did the Black Knight push your shit in too? Is it just me, or is timing a parry completely fucked?

Oh yeah, if you're interested in this game, now is the time to get it. The servers go offline Oct 11, 2011.

Shit really? I guess I should give this a shot again.

rhylith on
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I love this game. Only problem is I can only stomach it once every couple months.

I need to actually beat it (haha yeah right) before the new one comes out.

Maximum on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you're starting out, go to area 4-1 as soon as you can and get the crescent falchion

It makes things much easier early on

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Also level 4-2 is total dogshit

The boss is incredibly easy once you figure out his gimmick, but getting to him in the first place is a pain in the ass when you're trying to fight things on tiny ledges and the targeting system is dookie and loves to lock on to the flying things while there's a skeleton with a big old sword standing 5 feet away

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    farming the stones I needed for dexterity weapons is what killed this game for me.

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Also also ditch heavy armors as soon as you can, being able to roll unimpeded is far more important than the minor resistances you get from heavier armors

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I tried this game and I just couldn't do it. I'm super intrigued by it conceptually and it's gorgeous but man, punishing isn't even the word.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh god. There are sublevels in this game? I played for two hours last night, and all that happened was I was repeatedly gang raped by some zombies, and guys that throw firebombs at me around the outside of a castle. it was through the first portal on the left when you spawn in the Nexus. is that the first world?

This game is fucking brutal, and the camera has done me no favors.

Also, is walking back to the Nexus mid-level a generally accepted practice? Like, there's no town portal or waypoints that I'm missing, right?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    There is a spell you can learn to take you back to the Nexus

requires faith i believe

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Evacuate, and it requires 10 Faith, 40 MP, and 20000 souls to learn

There is a consumable that does the same thing but I can't remember the name at the moment

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Basically, starting at 1:08 in this video has been my experience thus far

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83zoP6PSyco&feature=fvst

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011

There is a consumable that does the same thing but I can't remember the name at the moment

Fuuuuuck me. I've had like a max of 800 souls once. Can I store them somewhere?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just beat the first level, then grinded it about fifty times before I did anything else. Helped out a good bit. I also have the fucker memorized. Like, if anyone asked, I could tell you the full layout of the level, besides maybe a few of the pre placed items and specific proportions of rooms.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    yeah fighting that knight in the beginning is a mistake

he actually guards a boss harder than the last boss

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    artifexiteartifexite Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I got stuck somewhere in the fire tunnels in 2-2, I believe. I have too many souls to just let myself die there, and the only way out is guarded by an exploding ball that I can't seem to trick into blowing up anywhere other than right underneath me. So, don't play this anymore.

artifexite on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I fucking loved this game, I cleared 3 of the worlds before burning out on it since i put like 50 hours into it over 2 weeks. I may go back and play it some more soon in anticipation of dark souls.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Level 4-1 is an easy place to get souls when you're starting, taking out all the skeletons before the first fog gate gets you at least 5000 souls and none of them are harder than "block attack, beat up with weapon" and they're weak against blunt weapons like maces and hammers

Just avoid the black skeleton with two katanas, he's a bastard before you have decent ranged attacks

And no you can't store souls or sell items, sadly

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Level 4-1 is an easy place to get souls when you're starting, taking out all the skeletons before the first fog gate gets you at least 5000 souls and none of them are harder than "block attack, beat up with weapon" and they're weak against blunt weapons like maces and hammers

Sweet. I will give that a shot.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, don't rip it out. Shaving works just fine.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Just avoid the black skeleton with two katanas, he's a bastard before you have decent ranged attacks

And no you can't store souls or sell items, sadly

You can also get a really good melee weapon that scales of magic in that first part. A black skeleton is guarding it but you can dodge past him, grab the weapon and hop off the cliff and book it to the starting point.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I accidentally caught and ripped a few hairs out with my trimmer the other day.

It bled a little bit.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Gotta be careful with that trimmer, man.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Geek wrote: »
    Gotta be careful with that trimmer, man.

It was a tricky spot.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I beat the game once when it first came out and I did it totally wrong.

I ate all the boss souls I came across and only when I beat it did I learn about "advanced" weapons. So I decided to start a new game and at least beat it twice this time around.

I read the difficulty jumps roughly 40% ( whatever way it means ) and then 8% per playthrough after that until it hits a cap.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    oh cool when I try to play now my ps3 freezes up

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I played this game at the insistence of a friend but was never impressed.

The visuals in the first couple of levels were boring, and the character controls didn't feel that good.

Looking for a reason to like it other than "it is hard".

Jasconius on
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    tsplitter wrote: »
    oh cool when I try to play now my ps3 freezes up

Your PS3 has become self aware.

Seriously though that sucks. It felt good to get back into this and learn to hate the enemies I hated last year.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »

The visuals in the first couple of levels were boring, and the character controls didn't feel that good.

I haven't gotten to play it much, but it seems like "it is hard" is the main draw for a lot of people.

That said, the art direction is pretty good, and the concepts behind the game are interesting.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It's not as hard as everyone makes it out to be, it reminds of Monster Hunter in that you can't just rush in blindly and mash attack, you'll get clobbered if you do

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I haven't looked into the new one at all

I should get on that

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »

I haven't gotten to play it much, but it seems like "it is hard" is the main draw for a lot of people.

That said, the art direction is pretty good, and the concepts behind the game are interesting.

One thing I learned from playing the game, and a big draw for me, was that the game wasnt being cheap. Every death is a mistake I made and can learn from and overcome. For whatever reason that just wanted to make me play more, also the comabt was fun. I enjoyed the realistic approach to the graphics and it was a nice departure from the more colorful worlds a lot of fantasy games tend to have.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This game has possibly the best melee combat since Severance: Blade of Darkness.

Makes me sad that there isn't anything else out there like it (yet)

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh man this game

this GAME

Every couple of months I'll go back to it and try to get a little farther, and then I run into a boss I can't beat and burn out again. My most recent attempt ended with the 3-3 boss-- the one that summons an actual player to fight you

I got beat down something awful, and ran away with my tail between my legs. Haven't gone back since, but I might give it another shot soon

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So how do I become not-a-soul, and is there really a big difference in gameplay between being a soul, and being alive? Are there different stages or something?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So how do I become not-a-soul, and is there really a big difference in gameplay between being a soul, and being alive? Are there different stages or something?

if you're alive, other people can invade your game and kill you, but if you find blue letters on the ground, you can summon another player into your game to help you. you also have more life when you're in your human form. This also affects tendency but I don't want to explain that.

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'll just wait for Dark Souls

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    20 bucks is the going price nearly everywhere and it's a dang good value

Also Character/World Tendency is a huge hassle

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There isn't much about this game that isn't a huge hassle.

Peen on