As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EVE] - A Game of Megathrons

Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
If you use an ATI graphics card, turn off station environments immediately, hit ESC and go to the right tab and click the correct checkbox. Your card will be destroyed.
eve.jpg
New Thread Updated with political info, Incarna expansion info, and Dust 514 FPS console info.

Eve Online is a political, sandbox, spaceship, economic, military MMO in which you can literally do anything. It takes a departure from other MMOs in that it all occurs on a single server or universe and skills are trained 24/7 in a time-based queue (as opposed to a physical grind.) While the game has a learning curve, most people usually join in the following progression:

1) This is interesting I shall try it.
2) Mining is fun.
3) Mining is not fun.
4) I am bored with missions and the new season of Fringe is starting, I'm quitting
5) *6 months later* You know some political thing happened and everyone is talking about it, I'll give it another shot.
6) This is better than I remember.
7) Skills are taking forever, I wonder if I can get out to nullsec
8) T2 guns are almost done *suicide*
header_292x136.jpg?t=1275007476

If you can get past that suicide in #8, you're hooked for life. The hook comes from the fact you can choose to do anything, administrate, mine, fight, trade, or construct the tools to do any of those things. It literally is a sandbox. Every six months or so new features are added, which may or may not fix or unfix some continuing lag issues that occur in larger fleet battles. Regardless, it's ever-evolving and you should try it! The current expansion is the Incursion update which was released several months ago and added Sansha invasions to high sec, low sec, and null sec space. They are PvE encounters (though PvP often occurs at them), and provide high amounts of ISK and loyalty points if they are completed successfully. The next expansion in the line premiers on June 21st, 2011 and is called Incarna. It will introduce station-based interaction with actual avatars.
EVE-Online-Incarna-Preview-E3-2011.jpg

Organizations are based on corporations, which then band together to form alliances. These powerblocs often ally with other alliances to form coalitions. For more information on the biggest Penny Arcade presence in EvE, check out the:

Merch Industrial is a corporation in the Goonswarm Federation (an alliance). Goonswarm Federation is the cornerstone of the Deklein Coalition (group of alliances) which was a close ally of the Northern Coalition. The Northern Coalition has been overrun by the Drone Russian Federation (a coalition of Russian alliances that aligned with our enemies Raiden., mercenaries Pandemic Legion, and smaller less dangerous groups like Evoke and NCdot). The sudden and unexpected collapse of the Northern Coalition has forced thousands of players into a prolonged and chaotic evacuation. Our enemies (Raiden.) but possibly the Russians and others, are now on our doorstep.

Any other corps out there with PA members, let me know so we can add you here. There are also a variety of trailers, which I encourage you to youtube because they are all about 3 minutes of awesomeness. Here is the most recent one, and the best one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGplrpWvz0I&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKviRpvGXBs

A console FPS, Dust 514, is now moving out of the realm of vaporware and will have a direct impact on the EvE Online universe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mlVuLs_Nw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzVjggarRns

Lady Eri on

• ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm looking forward to Dust.
    Hopefully it's just a timed exclusive and will be released on the Nintendo Wii U as well - the controller is like made for the game!

Shanadeus on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Not to be crass but:
    (a coalition of Russian alliances that aligned with our enemies Raiden., mercenaries Pandemic Legion, and smaller less dangerous groups like Evoke and NCdot).
    You guys are fucked. I've been on the receiving end of a similar pain train and the results weren't pretty.

I'd love to get back into Eve but I just can't put up with how the game always ends up being a second job. All I really wanna do is fly around with like minded chilled out space vikings as we get into trouble raiding poor idiots out in nullsec, living in NPC stations and leaving the area only when we've managed to piss off everyone and drink all the beer. Fuck massive fleets and politics, I wanna be a small gang pirate.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    You guys are fucked. I've been on the receiving end of a similar pain train and the results weren't pretty.

Nah. The war was fought because the NC invaded the russians a few months ago and the DRF was looking for some revenge. Now that the NC is dead it's looking like the russians are just going to solidify their holdings and then perform a reset with a NIP. They might go after DekCo's good moons, but that may be pointless with a rumored moon goo nerf coming in the near future.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
    edited June 2011
    Ah, if they just decide to fortify their holdings then it'll be all good, I just remember the last time I had to help face down a determined Russian coalation and my anus is still a little tender from the ass pounding we all got.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited June 2011
    Lemme guess.... Atlas?

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Public service announcement: Make sure to set a 7+ day skill to train the day before Incarna goes live.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ugh. See, I'm dicked cause that's when Medium Projectile hits 5, which opens up basically all of the T2 Mid guns, and goddammit that's what I've been going for these past two weeks! aaaargh

Decision time:

Train up for Loki, or start to look into capitals?

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
    edited June 2011
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    Ugh. See, I'm dicked cause that's when Medium Projectile hits 5, which opens up basically all of the T2 Mid guns, and goddammit that's what I've been going for these past two weeks! aaaargh

Decision time:

Train up for Loki, or start to look into capitals?

The problem with capitals is that you will spend about 6 months training skills that are only useful for that class (capital ships, racial carrier, fighters V, jump cal V, etc). So be sure that you have plenty of other fun subcap ships to fly while you are grinding through that skillplan.

Having said that, owning a carrier makes living in 0.0 so much easier.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i'll just make a skillplan for caps and train that next time I take a sabbatical from EVE.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
    edited June 2011
    ukiyo e wrote: »
    Lemme guess.... Atlas?

I was in IAC back then and AAA plus a whole bunch of Russian friends decided to drop in and say hi. They collapsed our jump bridges and proceeded to skull fuck us. It wasn't pretty :(

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was in IAC, and the Russians loved us. Then I went on sabbatical, and when I came back IAC was a fond memory, with no 0.0 space. wtf happened?

Lochiel on
    edited June 2011
    Lochiel wrote: »
    I was in IAC, and the Russians loved us. Then I went on sabbatical, and when I came back IAC was a fond memory, with no 0.0 space. wtf happened?

Guiding hand stole a mom from IAC and then -A- scammed them out of it. -A- refused to give it back, and IAC decided to go to war over it. They were counting on the allies to join their side, but the big powerblocs basically said that they were staying out of the fight. IAC was already in a bad way, so -A- pushed them over.

Relevant.

And wow, that's some ancient history right there. I was in a small alliance aligned with IAC when this happened. My first foray into 0.0, I remember being laughed at for going to fleet ops in a drake...

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    IAC had been going down hill for quite some time at that point.

With the war against MC/FIX stalemated, and 0utbreak moseying through catch on a daily basis at the height of the nano-age, there was little that could be done to stop getting killed on a daily basis.

-A- had poached the best pvpers and fc's, leaving IAC simply managing sov and bridge networks.

I still don't believe anything TT said though. Like numerous other dictators since, he simply saw the alliance turning to shit, and decided to get his. GHSC was never relevant in any major politics, but everyone that pulled a big scam to join istvaan always liked to claim "I was ghsc all along noobies :twisted::twisted::twisted:"

Post tyrrax was just leadership being hilariously dumb and saying fuck everybody drama. From there you had corps going kinda all over. I've got no idea where people finally ended up.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    XD Sad, but not unexpected. Jim Lowell was a pretty cool guy, even if he was always drunk and falling asleep, and not someone you'd count on in a fight. He was great on Vent.

If I remember my history correctly, TT was an FC in an alliance that held the JZV constellation when IAC decided that they wanted part of it. He betrayed his alliance and coordinated with IAC to ensure that IAC won most of the fights. So, he joined IAC as a traitor.

Thanks for the info dump. I had read the battle reports, but I didn't know the politics.

Lochiel on
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Not to be crass but:
    (a coalition of Russian alliances that aligned with our enemies Raiden., mercenaries Pandemic Legion, and smaller less dangerous groups like Evoke and NCdot).

I'd love to get back into Eve but I just can't put up with how the game always ends up being a second job. All I really wanna do is fly around with like minded chilled out space vikings as we get into trouble raiding poor idiots out in nullsec, living in NPC stations and leaving the area only when we've managed to piss off everyone and drink all the beer. Fuck massive fleets and politics, I wanna be a small gang pirate.

You know, there are alliances that do exactly this kind of thing. Like mine, for instance!

I know it sucks to leave your friends behind, but there are lots of good people in EVE. If what your corp/alliance is doing is not fun for you, and they're not likely to change, then you need to move on. Making yourself do stuff you don't enjoy is not the way to have fun. Recently I got tired of 0.0 and took a 3 month break in lo-sec, just pirating like a villain. It was good, it rekindled my faded will to log in. Now I'm back in 0.0 and I feel OK about it.

V1m on
  • Doctor DeimosDoctor Deimos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    V1m wrote: »
    Not to be crass but:

You know, there are alliances that do exactly this kind of thing. Like mine, for instance!

I know it sucks to leave your friends behind, but there are lots of good people in EVE. If what your corp/alliance is doing is not fun for you, and they're not likely to change, then you need to move on. Making yourself do stuff you don't enjoy is not the way to have fun. Recently I got tired of 0.0 and took a 3 month break in lo-sec, just pirating like a villain. It was good, it rekindled my faded will to log in. Now I'm back in 0.0 and I feel OK about it.

Are you guys recruiting? Because I just resubbed and want to do something other than mine.

Doctor Deimos on
  • rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i kill dead people and save the moneys i get to fund a personal war when dust drops

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    V1m wrote: »
    Not to be crass but:

How do these gangs go about identifying pirating opportunities? Is it as simple as choosing a path in the map, based on filter data of recent pilots in the system, then flying to them in succession, checking local, and then when you find people, checking out each asteroid belt/stellar object for pilots?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • no worriesno worries Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I guess now would be as good as time as any to try out this game? I mean after the 21st.

Also, if I'm typically online (at best) from 8:30 to 11:30 pm each night, can I expect to have fun in this game? Assuming, it seems, that I find a cool (casual?) corp?

Thx!

no worries on
  • hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, since training skills happens entirely in the background independent of when you're online and you can queue skill up to start in the next 24 hours (you can add to your list of skills to train as many skills as you want as long as they all start training within 24 hours), the only things you log in for are making money and having fun.

So yeah, it's possible to have fun only playing a couple hours a night. You might have to dedicate some days to making money and other days to other things, but it's still possible.

hailthefish on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    hey how good is the market in venal or wherever mrchi is currently camped out? I ask because i want to know if i should hire a goon to jf my abaddon up or just sell it and buy some smaller ships in 0.0

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The market for small ships is pretty good, but if you're going to buy a bunch of stuff just buy in Jita and have Padded Helmets ship it north. They usually get to it within a day.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hmm, my current training skill looks to finish ~11 days past Incarna launching. Should be good, or slap a monther in there the day before?

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    edited June 2011
    so I'm currently jumping around in russian territory in an unarmed cormorant

this should be fun

Doctor Deimos on
    edited June 2011
    so I'm currently jumping around in russian territory in an unarmed cormorant

this should be fun

russian territory is pretty safe

no one lives there except for bots

anyone actually active is still clearing NC space

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
    edited June 2011
    yeah there's nobody around

i just set the autopilot for the general goon area, hopefully they won't kill me

Doctor Deimos on
    edited June 2011
    where exactly is mrchi basing out of, i need to make some isk before i can be useful in any fights, but would minmatar or amarr ships be better for the rats, i know last time i played amarr was not a good choice

TheKoolEagle on
    edited June 2011
    We're in Deklein these days.

hailthefish on
    edited June 2011
    might be back soonish, i joined the corp for about 2 mins and left cause i was going to try something different, that fell through because they wouldn't let me into nullsec with them unless i sat in empire in their starter corp for like 2 weeks, wasn't down with that so much

TheKoolEagle on
    edited June 2011
    if there are any merch people online who could let me into the corp that'd be nice, space is boring without people to talk to

by the way, i'm totally a spy

Doctor Deimos on
    edited June 2011
    Send in an application with your PA name included. Random Gen will look over it and make the master decision in normally 24-48 hrs.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • CitriCitri Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is there anywhere to look for even the most basic of clues as to getting the hang of this game. I'm like "Oh these combat missions are fun but I appear to be getting taken out. I should get a better ship/equipmen- OH DEAR LORD WHAT ARE ALL THESE THINGS"

Citri on
    Youth and skill are no match for age and treachery.
    edited June 2011
    an important part of eve is the metagame, reading up on some missions and ship fits is a good idea, goonfleet has a wiki for members that has a lot of knowledge but if you aren't with them you can still check out battleclinic and some other big eve sites for help, 90% of missions is having a good ship fit and the right type of ship for the job

TheKoolEagle on
  • The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Citri wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to look for even the most basic of clues as to getting the hang of this game. I'm like "Oh these combat missions are fun but I appear to be getting taken out. I should get a better ship/equipmen- OH DEAR LORD WHAT ARE ALL THESE THINGS"

I haven't seen it but I hear the tutorial has been greatly improved.

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    incarna is supposed to have an even more improved tutorial

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh, Incarna hits in 5 days, I did not realize. I've been looking at EVE stuff because Dust has gotten me all excited. Maybe I'll go grab a free 14 day trial once things have stabilized from Incarna's release.

Inquisitor on
    edited June 2011
    Shit, I need to find something long to train, got 3 days left on a 14 day skill.

hailthefish on
  • JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've got battlecruisers V ready for Incarna patch. 21 days should be enough even for CCP.

JohanFlick on
    edited June 2011
    Minmatar Cruiser 5. 29 days. Perfect.

hailthefish on
    edited June 2011
    shit i'll need to get something ready for incarna, although all my skills are either ridiculously short or ridiculously long :(

TheKoolEagle on
This discussion has been closed.