Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Legend of Zelda: 25th Anniversary Thread - Landmark of the Greatest Gaming Series

1303133353674

Posts

  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I despise the Zelda dungeons. All of them. Forever. Youtube is the only reason I finished Spirit Tracks.

    steam_sig.png
  • MizuumiMizuumi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    then...

    why do you play zelda?

    ducklett.gif
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mizuumi wrote: »
    then...

    why do you play zelda?

    All the other parts!

    steam_sig.png
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA
    edited June 2011
    Mizuumi wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »
    Spoiler:
    Also:

    Zelda Williams at the Nintendo Booth

    "Do you have a favorite Zelda game?"

    "I do, Majora's Mask."


    high-five, sister

    Good woman.

    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    It'd be amusing if it was her favorite because it has the light presence of Zelda out of all of them.

  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Playing Link's Awakening again. Its as awesome as I remember it, but pretty easy. Mostly I think because I remember a surprising amount. I mean I was 7 when I played it first. I played it multiple times after that, but I can't have touched it in 10 years or so.
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    So is it obvious that the dragon ducks flying will work like the boat in The Wind Waker?

    Oh lordy I hope not. I can't play Wind Waker because of the boat is so annoying.

  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    All this talk about about the original Zelda it's progression being relatively obtuse made me realize something. I'm 25 in a month, and I cannot, absolutely cannot remember a point in my life where I didn't know where every dungeon in the first two Zeldas were. I'm serious, I don't even know how I learned in the first place, probably from my older brother but he doesn't know where he learned it from.

    It's a secret to everybody.

    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't get why everyone hated Twilight Princess, I thought it was pretty amazing.

    If I had to order my fav Zeldas
    Ocarina of Time
    Link to the Past
    Twilight Princess
    Wind Waker
    Majora's Mask
    Zelda 2
    Link's Awakening
    Zelda 1
    Oracles

    But the thing is, even down to Oracle of Ages/Time I still thought they were really good. The Legend of Zelda will still be my favorite game series of all time... probably for all time.

    Not today.
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I thought TP was a good swan song for the series' current incarnation, but aside from its sheer scope there was nothing really spectacular about it. It didn't have any of those really memorable moments that Ocarina of Time had, or the weird creativity and mood of Majora's Mask. And I thought the dungeons were particularly bland for the series, with a few exceptions at the end. And WW's graphics (apart from art style) looked better.

    My favorite part of Twilight Princess was the first time you get to have a horseback duel, and, well, not good enough, Joe. Not nearly good enough.

    And then there's also the issue of the inevitable letdown when you compare the tacked on waggle controls we got to the rad sword fighting that the Wii commercials were hinting at.

  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I haven't played past probably 20-25 minutes in Twilight Princess because the waggle = attack controls make me just kind of grimace. I can't get over it. I'm not anti motion control; I'm anti waggle = button press controls.

  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I haven't played past probably 20-25 minutes in Twilight Princess because the waggle = attack controls make me just kind of grimace. I can't get over it. I'm not anti motion control; I'm anti waggle = button press controls.

    You should get the Gamecube version, the controls are perfect.

    I love everything about Twilight Princess, I really can't understand the backlash it continues to get.

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Then pick up the Gamecube version?

    Games completed recently: Resident Evil 4: HD Edition, Typing of the Dead: Overkill, Sleeping Dogs, Dishonored, On the Rain Precipice of Darkness 1-4.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Qingu wrote: »
    I thought TP was a good swan song for the series' current incarnation, but aside from its sheer scope there was nothing really spectacular about it. It didn't have any of those really memorable moments that Ocarina of Time had, or the weird creativity and mood of Majora's Mask. And I thought the dungeons were particularly bland for the series, with a few exceptions at the end. And WW's graphics (apart from art style) looked better.

    My favorite part of Twilight Princess was the first time you get to have a horseback duel, and, well, not good enough, Joe. Not nearly good enough.

    And then there's also the issue of the inevitable letdown when you compare the tacked on waggle controls we got to the rad sword fighting that the Wii commercials were hinting at.

    I disagree, TP had a lot of memorable and weird moments.
    Spoiler:

    I think more people need to replay the game.

    By comparison, I felt OoT is much less memorable, probably because I didn't play it back in its heyday. Just...nothing about it feels as noteworthy as what came afterward. My first "OoT" Zelda was Wind Waker, which I feel has less truly memorable moments than Twilight Princess. WW is memorable for its style, but not as much for wild and crazy stuff happening.

    3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504
    Nintendo Network ID: unclesporky
  • Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah maybe the reason I liked Twilight Princess was because I played it on the Gamecube and not the Wii.

    Had no problems with the controls.


    By comparison, I felt OoT is much less memorable, probably because I didn't play it back in its heyday. Just...nothing about it feels as noteworthy as what came afterward. My first "OoT" Zelda was Wind Waker, which I feel has less truly memorable moments than Twilight Princess. WW is memorable for its style, but not as much for wild and crazy stuff happening.

    Did you beat WW? Because the ending fight was my favorite Zelda boss battle ever. It alone is possibly the reason why it ranks so high for me.

    Not today.
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Its part of the plan, but I have so many games to play already :<

  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I didn't have an issue with the waggle, and the aiming more than made up for it for me. I hate aiming projectiles with analog sticks.

  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

    By comparison, I felt OoT is much less memorable, probably because I didn't play it back in its heyday. Just...nothing about it feels as noteworthy as what came afterward. My first "OoT" Zelda was Wind Waker, which I feel has less truly memorable moments than Twilight Princess. WW is memorable for its style, but not as much for wild and crazy stuff happening.

    Did you beat WW? Because the ending fight was my favorite Zelda boss battle ever. It alone is possibly the reason why it ranks so high for me.

    Beat both of them and they both have good endings. I'm not ranking the Zeldas here, I don't even know if I'd call TP my favorite, I just think it does fine as far as memorable and weird moments go.

    3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504
    Nintendo Network ID: unclesporky
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Don't worry, Sporky, I played OoT when it was first released and I liked Twilight Princess better as well.

    Pokemon X | Buy Pokemon X (US Version) for Nintendo 3DS (3DS)>
    NNID: RockinX. 3DS FC: 2148-9166-6811. In-game name: アルヘニス. SV: 2746
    Free flawless Dittos
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Qingu wrote: »
    I thought TP was a good swan song for the series' current incarnation, but aside from its sheer scope there was nothing really spectacular about it. It didn't have any of those really memorable moments that Ocarina of Time had, or the weird creativity and mood of Majora's Mask. And I thought the dungeons were particularly bland for the series, with a few exceptions at the end. And WW's graphics (apart from art style) looked better.

    My favorite part of Twilight Princess was the first time you get to have a horseback duel, and, well, not good enough, Joe. Not nearly good enough.

    And then there's also the issue of the inevitable letdown when you compare the tacked on waggle controls we got to the rad sword fighting that the Wii commercials were hinting at.

    I disagree, TP had a lot of memorable and weird moments.
    Spoiler:

    I think more people need to replay the game.

    By comparison, I felt OoT is much less memorable, probably because I didn't play it back in its heyday. Just...nothing about it feels as noteworthy as what came afterward. My first "OoT" Zelda was Wind Waker, which I feel has less truly memorable moments than Twilight Princess. WW is memorable for its style, but not as much for wild and crazy stuff happening.
    I agree that Twilight Princess is better than Wind Waker. And there was a lot of trippy and cool stuff in that game ... but for me, it didn't really surpass the trippy and cool stuff in OoT or (moreso) Majora's Mask. And the fact that the plot was so meandering and nonsensical didn't help.

    And if you didn't play OoT when it first came out then your assessment is completely reasonable. It's hard to stress just how unbelievably rad that game was in 1998. You have to remember that there was nothing remotely like it; the only action/adventure games at the time controlled like Tomb Raider and looked like crap.

    And frankly, OoT had a pretty rough start. The intro is horrendous by today's standards and pretty boring by 1998's, the first three dungeons were not all that fun, the enemies were simplistic and didn't feel "Zelda-y," and controlling Kid Link somehow felt off. The game didn't really click until you became and adult and got to the Forest Temple, and then it's like "holy shit, it's like I'm in a Zelda game BUT IN REAL LIFE." I mean, every child wants to have a real swordfight with an evil skeleton and that was the first time in history where a game sufficiently approximated this fantasy. The five adult dungeons in that game expressed a sense of beauty, mystery, atmosphere and realism that completely surpassed anything in any other videogame. It makes me so sad that even if Skyward Sword is everything that I hope for it still probably won't be as amazing as the first time I played Ocarina of Time.

  • -Tal-Tal I am Gabe Newell, creator of Penny Arcade PM me if you want an anime subforumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    the main issue with TP is that it was just so ridiculously hyped for two and a half years that even what ended up being a fantastic game was slightly disappointing for some people. Nintendo will be careful to never let that kind of hype happen again, it's bad for everybody.

  • DeMoNDeMoN Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My problem with Twilight Princess is I didn't like it as much as Wind Waker. I adored Wind Waker.

    That's not really their fault though.

    PSN: Toxic_Cizzle Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think WW's last battle looked a lot cooler but TP's was a lot more fun and challenging and had better music, too.

    Very very last battle in both cases. I thought both games had sort of lame lead-ups to the duels.

    Oh man. I am getting all giddy looking at these last battle pictures now. The way TP's is framed is probably the coolest evar.
    Spoiler:

    There really is nothing like a Zelda final boss.

  • ikeachairikeachair Registered User
    edited June 2011
    I wasn't a fan of the sword waggle in TP but the bow and arrow aiming I loved. I felt like Legolas once I got the side to side strafing down.

    Overall I think TP is a great game but the overworld just feels so empty, a lot bigger but it all felt so flat. Unlike WW which every island has so much personality.

  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ikeachair wrote: »
    I wasn't a fan of the sword waggle in TP but the bow and arrow aiming I loved. I felt like Legolas once I got the side to side strafing down.

    Overall I think TP is a great game but the overworld just feels so empty, a lot bigger but it all felt so flat. Unlike WW which every island has so much personality.

    That section with the western goblin town was amazing with the bow.

    3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504
    Nintendo Network ID: unclesporky
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I imagine I'm the only person who liked the waggle sword (kinda) but didn't like aiming with the wiimote. I turned it off. The reason was that I hated Navi cluttering up the screen and making those zipping noises.

  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ikeachair wrote: »
    I wasn't a fan of the sword waggle in TP but the bow and arrow aiming I loved. I felt like Legolas once I got the side to side strafing down.

    Overall I think TP is a great game but the overworld just feels so empty, a lot bigger but it all felt so flat. Unlike WW which every island has so much personality.

    That section with the western goblin town was amazing with the bow.

    I'd forgotten about that part, that really was pretty awesome. And remember how big of a deal it was that there was mounted combat? It was good fun, too. I don't know why I don't care to go back to Twilight Princess, I guess it just didn't resonate with me the way games like Ocarina or Wind Waker did. I think it's just that contradiction where everyone thought they wanted a spiritual sequel to Ocarina of Time, when really something different and new like Wind Waker was much more memorable. There were great parts of Twilight Princess, but it will always be on the latter-half of my favorite Zelda games list.

    Link's Awakening update:
    Spoiler:

    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    For a game that debuted on a 4-bit system like the Gameboy, it amazes me how well Link's Awakening has held up. The game is just as fun as it was when I was younger.

    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    For a game that debuted on a 4-bit system like the Gameboy, it amazes me how well Link's Awakening has held up. The game is just as fun as it was when I was younger.

    The Game Boy was 8 bit and I think I read somewhere that it was actually more powerful than the NES. I wouldn't be surprised if it's true, because I've never seen distortion effects (underwater-like and others) in an NES game (Using Surf in Pokémon GS and Batman: Return of the Joker's sewers) or at least I can't remember an example of those being done on the NES.

    Pokemon X | Buy Pokemon X (US Version) for Nintendo 3DS (3DS)>
    NNID: RockinX. 3DS FC: 2148-9166-6811. In-game name: アルヘニス. SV: 2746
    Free flawless Dittos
  • V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, before I start talking memories, here's the Zelda music site because, more so than the gameplay, the MUSIC of LoZ (as Shiggy was preaching at E3) is my most beloved part of the series.

    http://www.zreomusic.com/listen

    Remember the first Skyward Sword trailer, where they showed Epona, Majora's Mask, the King of Red Lions, and Wolf Link at the start? I think that was a great way to sum up what most people remember about the Zelda games these days. Zelda 1, Zelda 2, Link's Awakening, and a Link to the Past are all pretty much their own standalones at this point. The Gameboy, GBC, GBA, and DS games all have their charms (and in some cases improvements), but it would be safe to say that those get left out of the minds of a lot of mainstream LoZ-goers--all the offshoots and spinoffs even more so.

    For me, the release of Skyward Sword is going to mark another chapter in my video game life. It'll be one where I'm introduced to new gameplay mechanisms; to new music that I'll forever listen to; where I'll look back and remember just what it is I want out of games. Who knows... it might even become the point at which the Zelda games as we know them today have their final look. The folks making the current Zelda may not be the ones there for the next iteration on Wii U.

    With that in mind, I'm going to pluck moments out of the 4 3D-console Zeldas that I identify the most with.

    OoT: Hitting the Temple of Time with the 3 gems and unveiling the Master Sword. Becoming Adult Link.
    MM: Putting on the 3 races' masks and learning of these characters whom I was portraying. Discovering Termina.
    WW: Sailing from island to island seamlessly. Discovering Hyrule Castle underneath the sea.
    TP: Freedom to change from Wolf to non-Wolf. Getting to know the land of Hyrule. And the Hidden Village.

    Most of my time playing Zelda games has been spent running around the overworld by choice. It feels great to live and fight and discover/explore these realized worlds.

    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My moments:

    OoT -- Learning the Bolero of Fire in the middle of a volcano. Somehow that scene just stuck with me.
    MM -- Kafei & Anju scene just before impact.
    WW -- Never played it, so I'll substitute LttP.
    LttP -- Hearing the opening notes of the Hyrule Castle theme.
    TP -- The rush to get help after encountering Zant. The music... *shudder*

    The thing about Zelda games, to me, is that each one is better than the last, whether I'm replaying an old one or experiencing a new release for the first time. It's because with the continuity in design (if not necessarily plot), each one manages to evoke all the memories of previous games for me, while simultaneously establishing new ground for itself.

    I <3 this series, basically. Skyward Sword, y u no here?

    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    V Faction wrote: »
    Remember the first Skyward Sword trailer, where they showed Epona, Majora's Mask, the King of Red Lions, and Wolf Link at the start? I think that was a great way to sum up what most people remember about the Zelda games these days. Zelda 1, Zelda 2, Link's Awakening, and a Link to the Past are all pretty much their own standalones at this point.
    I have a lot of trouble comparing the 2-D games to the 3-D games. Yeah, the puzzles and general themes are similar. But the experience of playing them is just so different.

    Hopefully Skyward Sword will be as big of a break in the series as OoT was, though I probably shouldn't get my hopes up that much. I'll be content with the new swordfights.

    My moments (d'awww):

    LoZ: I played this game when I was like 7 so I barely remember anything, but the thing that sticks out most in my mind is the Lost Woods. I explored the woods in my backyard and named places there after Zelda because of those Lost Woods.

    LTTP: Getting the Master Sword, in that beautiful forest with the shafts of light. That, and when you get sent to the DW for real, on top of that ziggurat, and the amazing music.

    OoT: First Stalfos swordfight in the Forest Temple, plus those twisting hallways. Those were the first "holy crap this is really a 3-D game" moments. Special mention goes to the lake room in the Water Temple. And the last battle with the lightning and fire was also great.

    MM: The first time you turn Stone Tower upside down; the music gets all haunting and eerie and the sky, sun, and stars are beneath you. Annoying stuff with the clones aside, that's my favorite Zelda dungeon.

    WW: Going underwater.

    TP: First full-on horseback battle.

  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What I need is a sense of adventure. I felt TP was missing that. It wasn't compelling for me. Not like WW where I was exploring the great unknown. Or MM where I had to watch the moon fall. Or OoT where it was the first realization of that type of world in 3d, and watching gannon chase after Zelda when she throws the ocarina is intense, made you feel you HAD to rescue her. Then you made it to 7 years later and can see all of the death and destruction.

    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    Spoiler:
  • JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Not sure if this has been posted here yet, but if it hasn't, it should be watched by all. Stick with it, it's not what you think.

    http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/05/27/link-to-the-future-zelda-timeline-fan-film


    My moments:

    LoZ: The first cave where you get your sword. Gets me every time.

    AoL: Didn't enjoy this game much, but I do really like the horse-head boss.

    LttP: The moment you land in the Pyramid to fight Ganon. The lights and music kick on RIGHT as you hit the ground and it throws you right into it.

    OoT: After Impa and Zelda flee the castle. When Ganondorf appears on his horse, little Link, with no hesitation, pulls out that tiny sword ready to fight. Gives me chills. Ganondorf even compliments him in doing so, then promptly owns him. A for effort, little Link.

    MM: Getting to be a Zora.

    WW: Pulling the Master Sword out of the temple dedicated to it and the Hero of Time. Badass in every sense of the word, and probably my favorite moment in the whole series. I am still impressed with how they approached that whole scene...going underwater and whatnot.

    TP: Link rushing around the corner and chasing the goblins in the field to fight them. The camerawork is as dynamic as it gets for a Zelda game.

    jeddy lee wrote: »
    Or OoT where it was the first realization of that type of world in 3d, and watching gannon chase after Zelda when she throws the ocarina is intense, made you feel you HAD to rescue her. Then you made it to 7 years later and can see all of the death and destruction.

    The castle town was as care-free and hustle-bustle as ever RIGHT BEFORE you encounter the dark lord of Hyrule. It just didn't seem like there was any sort of reason to worry. I felt like I was just living out some weird fantasy of Link's, and everyone else in the world had no clue what was happening. I got the exact opposite from OoT and MM. Not to mention that the main antagonist wasn't introduced until 2/3 the way through the game. Where's the build-up? Nintendo has forgotten how to include a compelling story, unfortunately.

  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    JLM-AWP wrote: »
    The castle town was as care-free and hustle-bustle as ever RIGHT BEFORE you encounter the dark lord of Hyrule. It just didn't seem like there was any sort of reason to worry. I felt like I was just living out some weird fantasy of Link's, and everyone else in the world had no clue what was happening. I got the exact opposite from OoT and MM. Not to mention that the main antagonist wasn't introduced until 2/3 the way through the game. Where's the build-up? Nintendo has forgotten how to include a compelling story, unfortunately.
    Isn't it on record that Ganon was basically shoehorned into TP late in the development? Zant was originally going to be the main antagonist, and the game wasn't supposed to be this epic swan song to surpass Ocarina of Time.

  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    No love for LA? The scene with Marin at the beach still gets me after all these years. And of course the music! From the ballad when you first enter the beach area to Tal Tal Mountain to the Wind Egg and its conclusion. Brilliant stuff.

    l8kt.png
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm the worst Zelda fan ... I never played LA.

    I have a lot of trouble going back to 8-bit games.

  • JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Qingu wrote: »
    I'm the worst Zelda fan ... I never played LA.

    I have a lot of trouble going back to 8-bit games.

    I know what you mean, and if it weren't for nostalgia, I would be in the same boat. However, one plays the original Zelda on NES, and hasn't played it in a long time, it's hard not to respect how much they squeezed into the game. It's really a stellar RPG experience for the time. Just revolutionary shit.

  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    LoZ and LA are worlds apart though. One is more of a deserted sandbox world and the other is a secluded world populated by its own inhabatants, full of charm and wit. There is so much cool stuff in LA to discover and experience that you can't fathom it all fit into the palm of your hand back in 1993. Depriving yourself of it would be a crime.

    l8kt.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    LA is basically portable LttP, except its a better game.

    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    RockinX wrote: »
    The Game Boy was 8 bit and I think I read somewhere that it was actually more powerful than the NES. I wouldn't be surprised if it's true, because I've never seen distortion effects (underwater-like and others) in an NES game (Using Surf in Pokémon GS and Batman: Return of the Joker's sewers) or at least I can't remember an example of those being done on the NES.

    Long and boring technical info:

    Distortion effects on NES were just as possible as on any of those early consoles. See an example [VIDURL=""]here[/VIDURL] (looks way better on the actual system). The NES game [VIDURL=""]Slalom[/VIDURL] shows the same kind of distortion, only being used to draw a track rather than make the whole screen wavy.

    Basically, immediately after drawing every horizontal row of pixels, you tell the screen to shift left or right by a few pixels, repeat ad nauseum. It requires very precise timing to do. Some specialized NES cartridges had timers built in that you could use in order to know when you reached the end of a horizontal line, but everyone else had to just count CPU cycles and hope they were close enough. However the Gameboy had this "scanline counter" built into the system itself, which made wavy effects easier to accomplish.

    The NES is better in some ways and worse in others. GB can only show 40 sprites on screen while the NES can show 64, but the NES can only display 8 sprites horizontally before flicker while the GB can handle 10. The GB's screen is only 160x144 while the NES handles 256x240. The GB also didn't have to deal with palettes like the NES did which saved it a bit of processing power. The GB executes instructions about half as quickly as the NES does, but it's clocked at twice the NES's speed to make up for that.

    But the GB's main problem was the poor quality LCD that ghosted all the time, meaning games for this arguably-more-powerful system had to be slowed way down just so you could see anything. The screen was practically its main bottleneck.

    3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504
    Nintendo Network ID: unclesporky
This discussion has been closed.