As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's your day, male parental unit!

SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!!Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Social Entropy++
Are you a father? Do you have a father? Have you ever met a father?

If any of the above apply, give them (or yourself) a huge pat on the back because today is
FATHER'S DAY!
Wikipedia wrote:
Father's Day is a celebration honoring fathers and celebrating fatherhood, paternal bonds, and the influence of fathers in society. It is celebrated on the third Sunday of June in many countries and on other days elsewhere.

Father's Day is a celebration of fathers inaugurated in the early twentieth century to complement Mother's Day in celebrating fatherhood and male parenting. Father's Day is celebrated on a variety of dates worldwide and typically involves gift-giving, special dinners to fathers, and family-oriented activities. The first observance of Father's Day actually took place in Fairmont, West Virginia on July 5, 1908. It was organized by Mrs. Grace Golden Clayton, who wanted to celebrate the lives of the 210 fathers who had been lost in the Monongah Mining disaster several months earlier in Monongah, West Virginia, on December 6, 1907.

A bill to accord national recognition of the holiday was introduced in Congress in 1913. In 1916, President Woodrow Wilson went to Spokane to speak in a Father's Day celebration and wanted to make it official, but Congress resisted, fearing that it would become commercialized. US President Calvin Coolidge recommended in 1924 that the day be observed by the nation, but stopped short of issuing a national proclamation. Two earlier attempts to formally recognize the holiday had been defeated by Congress. In 1957, Maine Senator Margaret Chase Smith wrote a proposal accusing Congress of ignoring fathers for 40 years while honoring mothers, thus "[singling] out just one of our two parents". In 1966, President Lyndon B. Johnson issued the first presidential proclamation honoring fathers, designating the third Sunday in June as Father's Day. Six years later, the day was made a permanent national holiday when President Richard Nixon signed it into law in 1972.

I'd post a pic of my 11 month old son, but I don't trust you geese to not photoshop it in ways I care not to think about. Instead, you can all just make your own mental picture of the goofy-ass grin I'm gonna have on my face all day while I celebrate my very first Father's Day as a dad. Yay! :)

SeñorAmor on

• Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aw, enjoy your Father's Day!

I'm estranged from my dad, but I don't really care, so today will be cool anyways.

Happy Father's Day, forum-dads.

Sara Lynn on
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Getting a father's day breakfast with the in-laws.

So, pretty much like the worst way to start Father's Day.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wish you luck on raising your son SenorArmor.

Happy Fathers Day to every father.

dbrock270 on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My dad is on a business trip so me and my sis didn't get to do anything with him.

Booooo

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MY FATHER IS DEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

now I just have to wait until my mom kicks it before I can start being the night

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    We don't do the fathers day thing til September.

Because I mean besides the footy finals what else happens in september?

Blake T on
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Took my dad out golfing last weekend, gonna barbeque today with him

I like this day and am pretty stoked to eventually celebrate it for myself!

Squall on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »
    My dad is on a business trip so me and my sis didn't get to do anything with him.

Booooo

Same here

Plus this year I just sent him a card, cause honestly I'm a little tired of just getting him bookstore gift cards every year

Get some hobbies or something already dad geeze

Scooter on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    there are five Louis L'Amour books in the mail on the way to my dad right now

gonna call him later today and tell him he's awesome

Centipede Damascus on
  • AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Farthest I've been on Father's Day now. He gets a humorous card of greeting and a few text messages.

Astraphobia on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I bought him whisky and an actual book for when he gets back.

Not that much more original than a giftcard, really...

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2011
    My dad has to work today so I get his Cubs/Yankees tickets. Which I feel kind of bad about, but my siblings and I got him a laptop and he's spending like, five days fishing so I think he'll be okay. Plus he doesn't have to watch a Cubs game.

DJ Eebs on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Edcrab.

Am, am I you father?

Blake T on
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Blake T wrote: »
    We don't do the fathers day thing til September.

Because I mean besides the footy finals what else happens in september?

I literally shuddered when I read that bit

fucking australian english

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I despise my good-for-nothing biological father.

My step-dad is awesome though however like Blake said it wont be til September until I can celebrate this fact.

Gatsby on
    edited June 2011
    I look forward to you giving me gifts Gatsby.

Blake T on
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    every time i buy my dad things he chuckles then puts them aside and never looks at them/uses them

Beasteh on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2011
    Beasteh wrote: »
    every time i buy my dad things he chuckles then puts them aside and never looks at them/uses them

this is every single present i have ever bought my parents

even the ones they specifically ask for

I've stopped buying them presents

Garlic Bread on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My dad has to work today so I get his Cubs/Yankees tickets. Which I feel kind of bad about, but my siblings and I got him a laptop and he's spending like, five days fishing so I think he'll be okay. Plus he doesn't have to watch a Cubs game.

Billy Corgan is doing Take Me Out To The Ballgame today

Burn those tickets

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2011
    Mr. G wrote: »

Burn those tickets

god fucking damn it

DJ Eebs on
    edited June 2011
    I look forward to you giving me gifts Gatsby.

How does the first season box set of NCIS and a bottle of Johnnie Walker sound?

Gatsby on
    edited June 2011
    See, that's why all the other fathers laugh and then act disappointed Gatsby.

NCIS?

Johnny Walker?

How about Mad Men and some ardberg.

Blake T on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mr. G wrote: »

Burn those tickets

god fucking damn it

Just like, trade them for Paul McCartney tickets

They do that at Wrigley, right, you can trade any ticket there for any other ticket also at Wrigley

This is how business works in my mind

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So not 5 minutes after my OP, my wife carries my son into the room, puts him down and says, "Go say hi to daddy!" He walks over to me, I pick him up and he pukes all over me.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY INDEED, SON.

He's grounded till he's twelve.

SeñorAmor on
    edited June 2011
    See, that's why all the other fathers laugh and then act disappointed Gatsby.

NCIS?

Johnny Walker?

How about Mad Men and some ardberg.

Well somebody's now getting the ugliest tie and cufflink set I can find.

Gatsby on
    edited June 2011
    Going to bang your mother really loudly and graphically tonight.

Blake T on
    edited June 2011
    Haha too bad! She's over here on the other side of the country so you'd need one hell of an enormo-

Wait

Fuck

Gatsby on
    edited June 2011
    It would be really funny though to use that as a threat.

You kids better clean up your room or I will fuck your mother so hard she will scream.

Blake T on
  • WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Together with my siblings we bought our dad a usb phonograph so he can listen to his old stash of LP records again.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I tried to call my dad.

He didn't pick up.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    All I wanted to do today is go see Super 8 but I can't because nobody is willing to watch the kids.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't have my son on Sundays, well, until like 8pm tonight
    and yesterday i was like, whatevs, usual drill

but now i totally miss him, even though i saw him like, 14 hours ago

and my dad is in Arkansas and not a very good parent

Happy Father's Day to good fathers!

redfenix on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Of course Grayson said "happy daddy day" to me so it's all good.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am a dad! Happy dad day, dads.

Langly on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2011
    what did hank get you, langly

Garlic Bread on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    He peed on me.

Langly on
    edited June 2011
    The greatest gift of all.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My father and I can not be in close quarters (the same house) for more than a week without animosity starting to foment

but he is a Good Person overall and I have tremendous respect for how hard he's worked throughout his life, now into his sixties

Tam on
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The greatest gift of all.

Methinks you missed my botp.

SeñorAmor on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I bought three cigars from the humidor yesterday and smoked a couple of them with my pops last night. Weather permitting, we're going to the driving range later and then cooking some spanish dish.

Clint Eastwood on