As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What the hell is my PSP doing to my memory card?

apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
So with the welcome back promotion I'm hitting a bit of a snag with my PSP.

Having never aspired towards being a big digital consumer, and knowing that the format was retarded, proprietary, and dumb, I only purchased a 2GB memory stick to go with my PSP-2000.

I've deleted everything except 1 save game per title, and a handful of minis, and I still only have 1.2 GB free - short of what I need to download LBP.

I don't want to lose any of my save data, so I'm reluctant to go to the format step - but it really seems like i'm missing a few hundred megabytes on this card.

Is there any way on device of via my Mac to examine the card and figure out what it thinks its spending all the space on?

猿も木から落ちる
apotheos on

• Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You always lose a little space to the way it formats data, but 800 megs seems a bit high for that.

Those still have the USB out, right? If you have a mini-USB cable you should be able to plug it into your USB port. I'm not sure how it works on Mac, but on Windows it mounts the contents of the flashcard like a drive when you plug in the PSP.

freakish light on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, you can just plug the PSP into your computer, or the memory stick into the computer to see what shit is on it. A 2GB memory stick should read around 1.7GB, so something is eating up about 500MB. I'd guess some random shit from whoever made the memory stick, or possibly install data, if you're into that.

If you do want to format, you can copy the ms/psp/savedata folder out to keep all your game saves safe.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Just discovered: 600MB of JPGs.

Problem solved.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    apotheos wrote: »
    Just discovered: 600MB of JPGs. :winky:

Problem solved.

ftfy

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This reminds me:

I've got stuff on my memory stick as well, and it's only 1 GB anyway. I can't afford a new one yet, however.

Do I have any options to secure the games I want (LBP and MNR, for those curious) without having a place to immediately store them? I would rather not miss out.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This reminds me:

I've got stuff on my memory stick as well, and it's only 1 GB anyway. I can't afford a new one yet, however.

Do I have any options to secure the games I want (LBP and MNR, for those curious) without having a place to immediately store them? I would rather not miss out.

You can get them off the store now, you just keep an installer sitting on your PS3/PC until you are ready to put them on your PSP

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    KaimakaKaimaka Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This reminds me:

In the PSN store on your PSP choose your free game then choose 'Add to Cart' then select 'View Cart' and choose 'Proceed to Checkout' Now your PSN account owns that game and you can choose to download any PSP games your account own later from 'View Downloads' also up the top right corner of the PSP PSN store screen.
    If you have a PS3 or Windows PC with Media Go you can download the game now to tranfers to your PSP later when you have a new MS Duo. You can also use Media Go on PC to backup your save files and Games to make room.

Kaimaka on
    2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3349-7357-2013
    3DS Friend code: 3093 8504 2352
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This reminds me:

Just giving you a heads up: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Memory-Stick-ProDuo-MSMT4G/dp/B0013AX2JM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308607289&sr=8-1

4GB for $15. You can't beat that!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Kaimaka wrote: »
    This reminds me:

In the PSN store on your PSP choose your free game then choose 'Add to Cart' then select 'View Cart' and choose 'Proceed to Checkout' Now your PSN account owns that game and you can choose to download any PSP games your account own later from 'View Downloads' also up the top right corner of the PSP PSN store screen.
    If you have a PS3 or Windows PC with Media Go you can download the game now to tranfers to your PSP later when you have a new MS Duo. You can also use Media Go on PC to backup your save files and Games to make room.

Cool, thanks! You, too, Elliotw2!
    urahonky wrote: »

Wicked; I hope they'll deliver to Canada.

And I hope the price stays steady until I have money for it. I am literally wiped out in any payment method which Amazon will accept. :|

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Thanks everyone, just secured my downloads. Hit a slight snag, as after the first, you have to back out to activate "Get Game 2" or something, but it seems to be set straight.

Apotheos: Awesome, I might get one of those when our checks come in (lousy strike... argh).

One small problem has occurred to me, however: if I get a new stick, I would like to be able to copy the contents of the old to it, but I'm not entirely sure how the best way to go about that would be. Any tips?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Thanks everyone, just secured my downloads. Hit a slight snag, as after the first, you have to back out to activate "Get Game 2" or something, but it seems to be set straight.

Apotheos: Awesome, I might get one of those when our checks come in (lousy strike... argh).

One small problem has occurred to me, however: if I get a new stick, I would like to be able to copy the contents of the old to it, but I'm not entirely sure how the best way to go about that would be. Any tips?

All you really have to do is copy the contents of one card to your computer, format the new card on your PSP so the proper folders are built, and drag everything back where its supposed to go. I've done it myself.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

LBD_Nytetrayn on