As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Surprise, motherfucker. [DEXTER] is returning. Yay?

• jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    mr_mich wrote: »
    Personally,
    I like Julia Stiles as an actress. She just strikes me as an intelligent person, and that seems to come off well in her roles. So maybe that's not her being a good actress, just picking roles that fit her? I dunno.

Seasons 2 and 3 were the worst so far IMO. Didn't care for the british pyro or the Prados. 4 was easily the best so far, fucking John Lithgowe stole the show.

4 was not easily my favorite. I don't know if I could choose between 4 and season 1 for the top honors.
    Lithgow was indeed utterly fantastic.

I'm a sucker for "introduction" seasons though.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Personally,
    I like Julia Stiles as an actress. She just strikes me as an intelligent person, and that seems to come off well in her roles. So maybe that's not her being a good actress, just picking roles that fit her? I dunno.

Seasons 2 and 3 were the worst so far IMO. Didn't care for the british pyro or the Prados. 4 was easily the best so far, fucking John Lithgowe stole the show.

Season 2 was my least favorite because it required far too many contrivances for things to shake out in Dexter's favor. It seriously got to the point where I thought that there had to be a supernatural element that was sneaking out a win for him... "The Devil's Own Luck" or what-have-you. Plus: I have great hate for Pale Titty Vampire. The tits were fine; she just reminded me of my own psycho ex.

Season 3 I liked a lot. The Camilla storyline was heartbreaking and Prado was an interesting foil (until Dexter totally outclassed him, of course).

Dracomicron on
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    S3 did raise the tantalizing idea of him having a partner, and then them competing. Moreso than S1, where his potential "partner" seemed crazier than Dex, which was pretty offputting.

Speaking of tits...Deb should go topless for once.

mr_mich on
    edited June 2011
    Speaking of tits...Deb should go topless for once.

They mercilessly teased me last season
    when she met the actress who plays Shane from The L-Word. Like, nearly every woman Shane meets is nude within ten minutes. But Deb? No.

Dracomicron on
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mos Def
    as a serial killer would be awesome.

Shawnasee on
  • Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I just read Dexter in the Dark, the third of Jeff Lindsey's Dexter books.

The first book was pretty ok, but didn't live up to the show. The second one kinda sucked. This is the one where stuff gets stupid.
    So the Dark Passenger is actually a bastard demon huh? Ok...

Even that I can kinda live with, because by making the DP almost into its own character, it gives Dex some motivation or somesuch. The problem I have with this book was that it just dragged forever. After the DP left I thought "Oh man, Dexter without the DP! This is interesting!"

No. It was not. It was 200 pages of Dexter going "Life sucks. A lot. Look at how miserable and boring I am."

For TWO HUNDRED FUCKING PAGES.

Then bam, there's the ending. Don't blink, cause you'll miss it. Lindsey apparently still cannot write an ending that doesn't finish faster than a fourteen-year old boy losing his virginity. All that build-up, all that whining from Dexter, all the anticipation that just maybe there will be a payoff for suffering through the terrible book - and we get practically no climax. It's lame as hell, and so far all three books have been like that.

I'm getting tired of Lindsey's crappy-ass writing, and at this point I want to forgo the next two books and just re-watch the show. Are the next two worth it at all?

Sangheili91 on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I just read Dexter in the Dark, the third of Jeff Lindsey's Dexter books.

The first book was pretty ok, but didn't live up to the show. The second one kinda sucked. This is the one where stuff gets stupid.
    So the Dark Passenger is actually a bastard demon huh? Ok...

Even that I can kinda live with, because by making the DP almost into its own character, it gives Dex some motivation or somesuch. The problem I have with this book was that it just dragged forever. After the DP left I thought "Oh man, Dexter without the DP! This is interesting!"

No. It was not. It was 200 pages of Dexter going "Life sucks. A lot. Look at how miserable and boring I am."

For TWO HUNDRED FUCKING PAGES.

Then bam, there's the ending. Don't blink, cause you'll miss it. Lindsey apparently still cannot write an ending that doesn't finish faster than a fourteen-year old boy losing his virginity. All that build-up, all that whining from Dexter, all the anticipation that just maybe there will be a payoff for suffering through the terrible book - and we get practically no climax. It's lame as hell, and so far all three books have been like that.

I'm getting tired of Lindsey's crappy-ass writing, and at this point I want to forgo the next two books and just re-watch the show. Are the next two worth it at all?

The short answer is no

joshofalltrades on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I quit after book 2.

Also am I alone still in thinking that the end of Season 4 just seemed kind of "We need to force something shocking even though it makes little sense"?

Season 4 is my favorite, but that ending surprised me only in the sense I couldnt believe they went down such a predictable route - when it made little sense in terms of everything we learned about the character throughout the season.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    After avoiding this show for quite some time, I finally caved about a week ago and started watching it. I'm now on season five.

This show is... intense. At first I didn't want to say I liked it or the character Dexter, because then I'd feel somewhat like a sociopath. I don't think I can deny enjoying it anymore, though, after blowing through seasons in two days.

However, I really need to stop going to bed immediately after going on a Dexter marathon. It has given me some fucked up dreams.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited June 2011
    Dashui wrote: »
    After avoiding this show for quite some time, I finally caved about a week ago and started watching it. I'm now on season five.

This show is... intense. At first I didn't want to say I liked it or the character Dexter, because then I'd feel somewhat like a sociopath. I don't think I can deny enjoying it anymore, though, after blowing through seasons in two days.

However, I really need to stop going to bed immediately after going on a Dexter marathon. It has given me some fucked up dreams.

ONE OF US ONE OF US
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I quit after book 2.

Also am I alone still in thinking that the end of Season 4 just seemed kind of "We need to force something shocking even though it makes little sense"?

Season 4 is my favorite, but that ending surprised me only in the sense I couldnt believe they went down such a predictable route - when it made little sense in terms of everything we learned about the character throughout the season.

The ending made sense if you ask me.
    Trinity didn't skip any steps, not even the one they introduced late in the season (though Rita might've been a little old for the bathtub step, Trinity was at the end of his rope by that point), and Dexter really needed to suffer some consequences for the fact that he'd gotten so sloppy, and fallen so far from the Code. He'd killed an innocent by that point, and skipped out on his duties as a father at least a couple times. Rita might not have deserved that fate, but Dexter deserved to suffer, for sure.

Dracomicron on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Saw this on Showtime last night....

Suggests a return to old ways

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is Season 5 available anywhere for legal digital download or viewing?

Shawnasee on
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The biggest problem I have with this show is that there seems to be a weird unnecessary cop show tacked onto it. Like, do I care about which random cops are doing? Do I care about Deb's random boyfriend?

I do not. Why are you showing me this?

This was only really bad in the last season though.

Greeper on
    edited June 2011
    Greeper wrote: »
    The biggest problem I have with this show is that there seems to be a weird unnecessary cop show tacked onto it. Like, do I care about which random cops are doing? Do I care about Deb's random boyfriend?

You get to see her behind. That's got to be a plus.

Anyway, I only have four more season five episodes to go before I'm all caught up, and I've been reading here and abroad negative opinions for this season. I'm quite enjoying it, though, even Lumen Pierce!

Dashui on
    edited June 2011
    Dashui wrote: »

You get to see her behind. That's got to be a plus.

I don't recall ever seeing Deb ass.
    Anyway, I only have four more season five episodes to go before I'm all caught up, and I've been reading here and abroad negative opinions for this season. I'm quite enjoying it, though, even Lumen Pierce!

It's more that it's that the season followed four, and four was basically the high point of the series. It's relaly damn hard to top Lithgow. I enjoyed five as the build-up season it was.

Dracomicron on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, season 5 was not all that bad. It's just that it's right next to season 4.

Anybody looks small next to Andre the Giant.

joshofalltrades on
  • StrikaStrika Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I bet mos ends up a journalist

Strika on
  • MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can't believe nobody else liked Prado! Jimmy Smitts is awesome, and I absolutely loved the incredibly charming political exterior containing absolute rage. Probably my favorite season.
    Mos Def is really cool news for casting. I'm not sure what role I would like for him to play most, but I've always been really happy with his acting.

MentalExercise on
    "More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I definitely enjoyed season 3 a lot. In fact, while I could probably work out some sort of favourite to least favourite season order for myself, I actually have not had any seasons that I really disliked in any way.

Hybrid on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hybrid wrote: »
    I definitely enjoyed season 3 a lot. In fact, while I could probably work out some sort of favourite to least favourite season order for myself, I actually have not had any seasons that I really disliked in any way.

same

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited June 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    Hybrid wrote: »

same

The worst Dexter is still better than 90% of other television.

That said, I liked Season 2 the least because it required too much Deus ex machina. Also Lila. Fuck you, Lila!

Dracomicron on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Pardon my tits" is the best line of the whole series though.

And if I could remember them verbatim, I think 99% of the dialogue about Lila that came out of Debs mouth is tied for 2nd best line of the whole series.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    edited June 2011
    I really liked season two. I thought it was exciting, even if some of it may have been a bit ridiculous. I cheered when Dexter was in Paris at the end.

And I'm on the final season five episode!
    I think I'm enjoying this season a little more than the last one, to be honest. That may make me seem strange, but I enjoy good character development and seeing Dexter become more and more human. I like watching him have a person who truly knows him and who he can trust. Prado wasn't really that person.

And then there's the revenge plot. Who doesn't love revenge plots?

Dashui on
    edited June 2011
    Man what. Season 2 was great.

joshofalltrades on
    edited June 2011

It was probably my favorite.

Also, I just finished season five not but a few minutes ago. Great finale, and a little sad. The worst part, though, is that I have no more Dexter to watch!

(Although, that means I won't have any more messed up dreams going to bed after a Dexter marathon. Those were... interesting.)

Dashui on
    edited June 2011

I understand that it was pretty pandering, and that's perfectly acceptable, but Lila was just terrible. She made some interesting stuff happen, but most of the time when she was on-screen (and not naked, that was fine), I was rolling my eyes at how stupid Dexter was to get involved with her. It's a personal issue; I had a girlfriend much like her, and she made my life miserable.

Though Rita's reaction to first seeing her was absolutely priceless.

Aside from that, it all just tied together a little too neatly. It shouldn't have been the second season; it should've been the last, and Dexter should've either been caught at the end or died or went on the run. Having everything line up perfectly for
    James Motherfucking Doakes take the rap at the end after being killed by Pale Titty Vampire was just too convenient for Dexter. Doakes deserved better, especially since LaGuerta forgets all about clearing him; his replacement, Quinn, also sucks in comparison.
    There was pretty much zero reprecussion from that entire season relevant to the rest of the series so far, except that he disposes of the bodies more efficiently now. Oh, and Deb had a really unfortunate Electra Complex relationship with Special Agent Rockstar to resolve her daddy issues. I was going 'dohhh" every time they were alone together.

Like I said before, the worst Dexter is still an "A" in quality. I just liked season 2 least, because Dexter relied mostly on luck to get out of his predicament.

Dracomicron on
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can't believe nobody else liked Prado! Jimmy Smitts is awesome, and I absolutely loved the incredibly charming political exterior containing absolute rage. Probably my favorite season.
    Mos Def is really cool news for casting. I'm not sure what role I would like for him to play most, but I've always been really happy with his acting.

Season 3 is really underrated. Prado is my favorite villain.

JohnDoe on
    edited June 2011
    More than Trinity? Come on now.

joshofalltrades on
    edited June 2011

Trinity was in the dark about Dexter for pretty much the whole season. He was kinda a chump in the rival department. He was a way more effective character than Prado (he punked Dexter in record time in episode 4.11), but he was never operating under the assumption that Dexter was a real threat until near the very end.

Prado knew what Dexter was (or at least the important parts), and gave us, to date, the most sustained intrigue in the show. It forced Dexter to actively work against someone who knew the score, as opposed to people who only have vague impressions that Dexter is "wrong" (Doakes), people who already know everything about him but have a particular agenda (Ice Truck), and general lunatics who get drawn into his orbit (Lila).

Dracomicron on
    edited June 2011
    Well, okay, I can see maybe Dexter-Prado being your favorite rivalry, but you said favorite villain. Trinity was just a way better character than Prado, in my opinion.

joshofalltrades on
  • Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

I think John Lithegow is the best villain hands down, but I have enjoyed all the seasons, and their villains. I really found myself identifying with Dexter's family situation in Season 4. The ending caught me completely by surprise, and I was not prepared for it. I kid you not, I was bummed out for a week after that.

Reverend_Chaos on
    “Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
    edited June 2011
    Well, okay, I can see maybe Dexter-Prado being your favorite rivalry, but you said favorite villain. Trinity was just a way better character than Prado, in my opinion.

I won't argue against that. I'm just saying that each season has had something different and characters who fill in different roles. A lot of people panned season 5 for being similar to season 3, for example, but there were some key differences between the characters that externally seem to fill the same niche. Similarly, season 4 was nothing like season 1, despite Dexter getting pulled into the orbit of another successful serial killer.

Dracomicron on
    edited June 2011
    I really liked season 5, except for the ending. It wrapped up way too neatly for my taste.

But all the twists and turns along the way were great. I liked Lumen, even if a bunch of other people didn't.
    And Chase was suitably and satisfyingly out of his league.

joshofalltrades on
    edited June 2011
    I like it that Dexter so totally outclasses most other killers that he can mop up most bad guys that the rest of the department has been chasing for a whole season the episode after he puts his mind to it. Really, he'd be the best cop on the force if he only had a badge instead of a forensics laminate. And, you know, didn't murder folks.

In season 5
    they needed a whole cult of killers to even pose a challenge to him.

Dracomicron on
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I like it that Dexter so totally outclasses most other killers that he can mop up most bad guys that the rest of the department has been chasing for a whole season the episode after he puts his mind to it. Really, he'd be the best cop on the force if he only had a badge instead of a forensics laminate. And, you know, didn't murder folks.

In season 5
    they needed a whole cult of killers to even pose a challenge to him.

I do like that as well. He's a goddamn ninja. I'm always worried because they show him sneaking up on most of his victims with super tense music and stuff, but 99% of the time he takes them down first time. Since that's not really the kind of conflict I'm interested in seeing, I enjoy that aspect a lot.

Greeper on
    edited June 2011
    I'm always worried because they show him sneaking up on most of his victims with super tense music and stuff, but 99% of the time he takes them down first time. Since that's not really the kind of conflict I'm interested in seeing, I enjoy that aspect a lot.

Though it makes the times when he fails to take down his prey all the more jarring. It took like three whacks to get Little Chino. He was really off his game, and trying to take on a beast.

Dracomicron on
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    I'm rewatching S3 now, because of this thread.

mr_mich wrote:
    I'm rewatching S3 now, because of this thread.

Yay. You deserve some Key Lime Pie.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Dexter reminds me of Batman.

I was going to add in some important distinctions...IE "except that he is insane." But I realize most arent actually distinctions.

Really Dexter is a Batman that kills folks. And doesn't wear a costume (unless you get all "his costume is his family...")

616610-1.png
  • Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think they've been working the twisted super hero angle for pretty much the entire show. The tension between the justification for what he does and the reality of his actions has always been the most compelling thing about the show, for me. It's pretty crazy how many superhero tropes, and Batman ones in particular, the show sneaks in without tipping too far into the absurd or pulp.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg