As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Comic Thread, Wednesday, June 22 2011

13»

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The first one was literally graphical Progressquest.

Other than the player nudging the party into the next area it pretty much played itself.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, all the spells were auto-cast, and melee characters didn't have moves. They just auto-attacked. Basically all I did was click on the loot as it dropped. Oh, and I played inventory tetris with the giant pack mule bag.

By the way... does DS3 have a pack mule? because it isn't a true Dungeon Siege game if it doesn't have a mule.

Lucascraft on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The best part about DS1 was the "automatically have your party go out and pick up loot" button.

The worst part was that there was no clipping detection between enemy monsters, so you could have a mob of Krug warriors out to get you and instead of being limited to attacking you a few at a time, all of the monsters would simply stack on top of each other until there were 50 Krug standing on the exact same spot, and getting hit by it was the equivalent of getting hit 50 times at once.

This wasn't so bad for the mage because you had AoE spells that would kill all 50 enemies at once. But holy crap it sucked if you were playing as an archer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XsufJ5ij2U&feature=related

like here's your party running through some forest, able to just run through the enemies blocking your way

Brolo on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    LTM wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    jwalk wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »
    Sometimes I jump into other people's games in Fable 3 and just start murdering all the citizens I can find.

Because hey, my character is evil.

when I was a guide for Everquest people would try to use this rationale when they were caught greifing other players.. "but I'm evil.. see I'm role-playing.."

yeah, I would summon their character to the middle of the ocean where they would get eaten by sharks... "oh ok, me too".

That reminds me of Fansy the bard

The first thing I thought of was the guild in EQ that got raided during an in-game funeral, but all I can find is references to it happening in WoW...

Also, holy shit I remember #5 from this, ah EQ...

edit: I don't read anything I post, ever.

gosh, this makes me really nostalgic for MMOs.

my last real experience of uncynical video game wonder was in WoW, when a friend and I played for maybe 14 hours after open beta dropped and I felt that sort of, "holy shit, this is an entire polished world filled with people" thing

honestly miss those days, I'm not sure anything is gonna match that

Charles Kinbote on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    strangely, I've never played WoW, or really known anyone that was all that into it.

I lost ~two years of my life to Diablo 2, I figured the easiest way not to become addicted to WoW was to just never try it out, although really I'm not a huge fan of most MMORPG-style gameplay (hotbars/cooldown timer)

but I've always been intrigued by how much some people were able to get into it, and those that has actual roleplaying experiences with the game rather than turning the game into "optimal grindquest/power leveling", which feel more at home in a diablo 2 / dungeon siege type game

Brolo on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rolo wrote: »
    like here's your party running through some forest, able to just run through the enemies blocking your way

I only watched the first minute, but that's priceless.

oh no, 50 bears

keep moving

Delzhand on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    The sad truth is that Obsidian has never released a game worthy of its Black Isle roots.

KotOR 2 was an unfinished, rushed nightmare with a lot of really good game improvements, which are easily lost and forgotten when the story collapses on itself about 80% of the way into the game.

Alpha Protocol, while having some brilliant ideas and a fantastic decision making system, was horribly flawed by bugs, terrible AI, and a whole host of other problems.

New Vegas was simply not as good as Fallout 3, despite some improvements to the game mechanics, and Obsidian failed to fix or improve on many of the game crippling bugs that were present in FO3. Oh and New Vegas had a whole slew of new bugs as well.

Scads of game crippling bugs and incomplete content? Not worthy of Black Isle roots? Ho ho.

Aneurhythmia on
This discussion has been closed.