As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] We cant find anything unless its ad takes up 3/4ths of the Store page

1565758596062»

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Half-Life 2 is a poor choice for a starter FPS. It takes a certain amount of FPS skill to play through it, and most of the early weapons demand an accuracy that new players to the genre simply do not have. Not to mention the difficulty of some of the setpieces that are separate from learning how to play a FPS (mostly the vehicle sections). If he's learning how to wrangle a Mouse/Keyboard or controller, there are other easier options.

I would disagree. HL2 slowly teaches you how to play an fps over the course of the game. The controls are simple and it starts you of with no guns just letting you get used to moving around and interacting. Then one gun with tons of bullets against just a few enemies and so on and so forth.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think Painkiller was an excellent suggestion, but perhaps a touch difficult.

I'd advise Doom. Or perhaps Duke3d with Eduke32 installed and some nice high res packs. Classics, people!

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Call me crazy, but what about Serious Sam. Hah.

Edit: Drake mentioned it to.

Wide open areas. Enemies have tells to announce when they're coming. Weapons are simple to learn.

Damnit, now I want to play it again.

Decoy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I installed Serious Sam 2 HD the other day. I'm wondering if I need to install SSHD1 to get the fusion stuff, or what. I suppose I could just load it up and find out.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think Painkiller was an excellent suggestion, but perhaps a touch difficult.

I'd advise Doom. Or perhaps Duke3d with Eduke32 installed and some nice high res packs. Classics, people!

I played Doom a few years ago on one of the updated engines. I wanna say JDoom. Good times.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I installed Serious Sam 2 HD the other day. I'm wondering if I need to install SSHD1 to get the fusion stuff, or what. I suppose I could just load it up and find out.

If you have both episodes of Serious Sam HD all you need to install is the second one. The Fusion thing will import all the First Encounter stuff over to Second Encounter. Then it's all you need. Unless you have a friend who wants to coop and all they have is the First Encounter. Then you'll need it to play with them.

Drake on
  • Options
    LeevityLeevity Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, Metro 2033 is definitely not the game to introduce you to the genre.

HL/2 and Serious Sam are great choices. TF2 or L4D/2 for the multi.

Also, the CoD games are really easy to get into. Even though they don't really ever drop in price and the community may piss you off.

Leevity on
    XBL/PSN/Steam: Leevity
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    RE: Jamestown

I'm probably just bad at this, considering I only played for some odd 30 minutes, but the 250,000 points in 40 second challenge is still kicking my face in. I made it up to 170k or so.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I seem unable to get a connection to Steam. Is it just me?

Rizzi on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I seem unable to get a connection to Steam. Is it just me?

It most certainly is having issues. I hope it is a portent of impending poverty, I mean, savings.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    My steam seems to be working just fine.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    HL2 is quite forgiving, far more than something like Metro which also approaches scary at points, so yeah, I'd start with HL2 and Borderlands. TF2 can be a little overwhelming, especially now with so many class updates offering entirely new sets of gear that change the battle, but even though it can seem intimidating to a first timer, it's easier to pick up than you might think, and they're having a free week so you can just go download it right now and try it out.

And speaking of first person things, let's tug at the old hopestring again:
    Electronic Arts executive Frank Gibeau has hinted that we could see a new Mirror's Edge game built with the Frostbite 2 engine in the future.

"We haven't killed Mirror's Edge," he told GameTrailers host Geoff Keighley.

"We're actively looking at how to bring it back in the right way. We love that franchise, the DICE guys really created something special the first time around. You've got to have a big idea to be able to do the next one, and that's what we're working on."

"Mirror's Edge, Frostbite 2 - I'm there," said Keighley.

"You'll see that combination, I'm sure," Gibeau replied.

So much for that report back in February that a Mirror's Edge 2 pitch had been rejected. Even then, EA told us the franchise is "still important" as far as they're concerned.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Electronic Arts executive Frank Gibeau has hinted that we could see a new Mirror's Edge game built with the Frostbite 2 engine in the future.

"We haven't killed Mirror's Edge," he told GameTrailers host Geoff Keighley.

"We're actively looking at how to bring it back in the right way. We love that franchise, the DICE guys really created something special the first time around. You've got to have a big idea to be able to do the next one, and that's what we're working on."

"Mirror's Edge, Frostbite 2 - I'm there," said Keighley.

"You'll see that combination, I'm sure," Gibeau replied.

So much for that report back in February that a Mirror's Edge 2 pitch had been rejected. Even then, EA told us the franchise is "still important" as far as they're concerned.

Why do they torment me so

:cry:

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'd love more Mirror's Edge... Long as they take out the guns. the shooting was stupid. RUN WOMAN RUN.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mirror's Edge in the zombie survival genre. Someone make this.

Also, page 99 and it's early Thursday morning. New thread just in time for a certain sale, maybe?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    There will be no sale. Except a Summer Railworks Bonanza.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    All aboard the Newell Express! Next stop, bread line!

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    No joke, I'd buy Railworks if it was under $5.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    People were seriously considering buying it when it was $100 just because it was such a steep discount. I mean, Magic Spiral Ponies or whatever certainly had a good run here for $2.50, at $5 I'm sure everyone would be sharing tips on how to beat the Essex run [strike]in less than twelve parsecs[/strike] before rush hour crossing or whatever.
    Figgy wrote: »
    Mirror's Edge in the zombie survival genre. Someone make this.

Yes. A thousand times yes. I can just picture that ad they had for the game with Faith leaping toward a mirrored glass building, except now there's tons of zombies falling off the building behind and when you look down you see crashed cars and hordes.
    I'd love more Mirror's Edge... Long as they take out the guns. the shooting was stupid. RUN WOMAN RUN.

Yeah, if you were shooting you were pretty much doing it wrong, something that seemed to catch a lot of people offguard just because it was first person.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011