As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Primary 2012: An austere OP for an austere era

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Septus wrote: »
    Perry dogwhistled about secession a hell of a lot more than "once briefly".

The only quote I've ever seen is the one that's like "We have a great union, there's no reason to disband it, but if the Federal Government keeps breathing down our necks, who knows what could happen."

And then he doubled down on it on Fox News, for one thing.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah to be honest I think any Dem really trying to go after Perry on the secession thing is just going to look like he's tryharding to the politically uninformed.

Its only a story to political junkies.

How can it not be a story that a guy who wants to run for president advocated secession? I mean its not like Ron Paul advocates the evil of pork while making sure to provide tons of it for his district isn't a huge stor...

Shit.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah to be honest I think any Dem really trying to go after Perry on the secession thing is just going to look like he's tryharding to the politically uninformed.

How can it not be a story that a guy who wants to run for president advocated secession? I mean its not like Ron Paul advocates the evil of pork while making sure to provide tons of it for his district isn't a huge stor...

Shit.

Look at it this way, you bet Perry up there with his smile and charm talking about reducing the debt and getting jobs back in america and stuff and all that feel good shit.

Then you get Obama, or whatever, talking about how is opponent advocated secession. It isn't going to play well. People don't give a shit, they just want more employment.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I just googled 'Santorum' for the first time. Got a vocabulary+ cheevo out of it.

enc0re on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The more important thing with Perry is that 1/4 of his citizens lack health care, including like 1/5th of children in his state.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The more important thing with Perry is that 1/4 of his citizens lack health care, including like 1/5th of children in his state.

See this is something you could hit on. Or you could point out that maybe a guy who made his millions as a vulture on the carcass of dying industry isn't the guy to return america to solvency.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Perry dogwhistled about secession a hell of a lot more than "once briefly".

The only quote I've ever seen is the one that's like "We have a great union, there's no reason to disband it, but if the Federal Government keeps breathing down our necks, who knows what could happen."

The phrasing of it sounded suspiciously similair to how a protection racketeer would describe his policy. "This is a nice union you got here. It'd be a shame if something... happened to it."

Also:
    wikipedia wrote:
    On April 9, 2009, Perry said, "I believe that our federal government has become oppressive in its size, its intrusion into the lives of our citizens, and its interference with the affairs of our State. That is why I am here today to express my unwavering support for efforts all across our country to reaffirm the States' rights affirmed by the Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. I believe that returning to the letter and spirit of the U.S. Constitution and its essential 10th Amendment will free our State from undue regulations, and ultimately strengthen our Union.

6 days later he said something that sounds just a little bit too much like secession, so yeah: it's entirely fair to say that he was doing a secessionist dog whistle. The only reason he backed down is because he got caught by the mainstream media.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Shit.

He didn't advocate secession. He said that if things get too bad we might need it.......which also what the Declaration of Independence says.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

It's the opposite. Political junkies will be more likely to look at it critically.

It's the non-junkies who will just take it as they were told.

And there's no reason for a Democrat to have to do it. This is what PACs are for people!

"Did you that Rick Perry wants to break up the USA!?!?!? FEAR!!!"

It wouldn't be hard to start planting that seed.

shryke on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Shit.

He didn't advocate secession.
    Yes, he did. He just didn't have the guts to do it openly.
    He said that if things get too bad we might need it.......which also what the Declaration of Independence says.
    No, the Declaration of Independence states that men have the right to abolish a government that is tyrannical and destructive of their natural rights. "Doing things I don't like", which is really what Perry's complaining about, doesn't qualify.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Shit.

He said that if things get too bad we might need it.......which also what the Declaration of Independence says.
    No, the Declaration of Independence states that men have the right to abolish a government that is tyrannical and destructive of their natural rights. "Doing things I don't like", which is really what Perry's complaining about, doesn't qualify.

And that's the same claim a certain other group of conservative Southerns made to justify treason.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Shit.

And never mind the racist undertones of threatening secession under the first African-American president. I am more than willing to give Perry the benefit of the doubt on racism, but he knows how to dog whistle, and Republicans have no problem soliciting the votes of Racist Joe Six-Pack who thinks Obama isn't a Real 'Murrican (TM).

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    And never mind the racist undertones of threatening secession under the first African-American president.

this feels like kind of a stretch.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    And Rush now compared Obama to Hitler. They've apparently decided they don't even care about hiding it anymore.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    And never mind the racist undertones of threatening secession under the first African-American president.

Uh, no, "states rights" and other Lost Cause rhetoric certainly qualifies as a racist dog whistle.

Except now you just add "gay folks" to the list of people that wind up getting oppressed by "states rights".

Which, in his defense of sodomy laws, is one of the powers Rick Perry is complaining about having been taken away from the states.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Should I remind you of Lee Atwater in regards to the Southern Strategy?
    You start out in 1954 by saying, "N-word, n-word, n-word." By 1968 you can't say "n-word"—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites.

And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "N-word, n-word".

A push for southern secession under the first African-American president is a natural, logical outgrowth of this. I stand by my claim, while Rick Perry may not be a racist douche, he is certainly an opportunistic political douche who knows how to ferment and utilize racist douches in order to get their vote.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    This qualifies as a push?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Fine, let's not call it a "push," lets call it "grumblings, the expression of innermost desires, a politician attempting to coddle votes by wink-wink-nudge-nudging to a group that dreams of a return to the antebellum days of the old south where blacks knew their place."

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So Georgia's tough anti-illegal immigrant law seems to have been a rousing success. Lots of immigrants have left the state!

In unrelated news, Georgia's farm industry is facing a massive labor shortage.
    I especially like the comment about using released criminals. He all but says "Where are those other poor dehumanized wretches for us to exploit?"

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So Georgia's tough anti-illegal immigrant law seems to have been a rousing success. Lots of immigrants have left the state!

I especially like the comment about using released criminals. He all but says "Where are those other poor dehumanized wretches for us to exploit?"

But!

They took our jobs!

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nate Silver put out his take on what he sees as the Republican frontrunners so far:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/23/handicapping-the-republican-field-part-i-the-top-tier/

rndmhero on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Shit.

I couldn't find a youtube clip of some additional elaboration on Fox news. The quote I'm talking about, is not an advocation of Secession. I think it could at best be said that he would not oppose it, which is shocking, but not that he would ever try to instigate anything of the sort, and I firmly believe that he personally would find the idea crazy.

I don't think Perry is actually crazy to the extent that I think Ron Paul could be, he just really wants to win.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Huh, if I wasn't going to vote against the GOP already, a statement of fact that should make everyone here show up (and volunteer, frankly):

Justices Kennedy and Scalia were both born in 1936.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I hope people are getting a shit ton of stock footage of rotting crops in Georgia farms to use in future campaign ads.

"This is your farm."

"This is your farm when you vote republican."

"Any questions?"

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    And Rush now compared Obama to Hitler. They've apparently decided they don't even care about hiding it anymore.

Some of the generals argued that we needed more troops before the invasion of Iraq, but Bush didn't listen to them. So, by the transitive property, Rush also compared Bush to Hitler.

Anyone want to take bets on whether or not this will be picked up by the 24-hour news networks, and possibly start to change people's opinions on immigration?

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I hope Santorum brings his kids to his concession speech again.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm sure Maddow will mention it, as for the rest

Hahahahaha, no

override367 on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

He hasn't before? I find that more news worthy than this.

Newt thinks Obama has failed black people so badly that they'll vote Republican. Good luck with that.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TDS did a piece on that, concluding that Obama will only get 96% of the black vote instead of 98%

override367 on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    South host wrote: »

Some of the generals argued that we needed more troops before the invasion of Iraq, but Bush didn't listen to them. So, by the transitive property, Rush also compared Bush to Hitler.

Anyone want to take bets on whether or not this will be picked up by the 24-hour news networks, and possibly start to change people's opinions on immigration?

I saw a bit on this on Spanish television. They did start trying to use released criminals but only one said he'd return and the overseer (heavyset Mexican dude) said they were terrible workers, that the illegals worked 6 times as fast.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TDS did a piece on that, concluding that Obama will only get 96% of the black vote instead of 98%
    To be fair, that would mean that the Republicans doubled their number of black voters.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    so, two?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    To be fair, that would mean that the Republicans doubled their number of black voters.

The GOP will have to buy a slightly larger bus for them to sit in the back of, then.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Shit.

Oh, I guess he must have whispered it to you in secret, when there were no cameras around. What the hell does this even mean, other than 'I am a liberal, and also biased'?

"I am a liberal, and also biased." You deciding that you know what Perry is REALLY talking about, isn't going to convince many people, especially when you're so blatantly insulting.

Come on people, the secession thing is a non-issue, non-story. It's just liberal red meat to make us feel good about ourselves.

And the georgia immigration law is just so dumb. We have the largest latino population in the southeast (apart from the southern tip of florida). We have a huge farming industry. Did no one put these things together?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's a mighty fine union you have there, a shame if something happened to it

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Shit.

I couldn't find a youtube clip of some additional elaboration on Fox news. The quote I'm talking about, is not an advocation of Secession. I think it could at best be said that he would not oppose it, which is shocking, but not that he would ever try to instigate anything of the sort, and I firmly believe that he personally would find the idea crazy.

I don't think Perry is actually crazy to the extent that I think Ron Paul could be, he just really wants to win.

What? So he's not advocating, but he wouldn't be against it. Even though he's the person who brought it up. He brought it up, then said he wasn't advocating it, but that he's totally cool with it if everyone else is. Dude, that is some serious double speak. It's not that hard to parse out his motivations. This is the equivalent of "I'm not saying I want ice cream, but if everyone else does we should totally hit up Cold Stones" before anyone has broached the topic of desert treats. If this happens, you're first thought is dude must want some ice cream (followed by how awesome Cold Stone is).

Would he support secession? Probably not, but he did SAY IT. He must have had some motivation. That motivation was likely a wink-nudge to racists. He is essentially saying that he hates having a black person in the Oval Office as much as you do.

Also, Fox News... not exactly a reliable source.

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Lawndart on
  • Options
    South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What the hell is it with him and gold?

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "I am a liberal, and also biased." You deciding that you know what Perry is REALLY talking about, isn't going to convince many people, especially when you're so blatantly insulting.

Come on people, the secession thing is a non-issue, non-story. It's just liberal red meat to make us feel good about ourselves.

While I'm inclined to agree that it's mostly a non-story (just as Todd Palin being a part of a secessionist group is largely a non-story), you seem to be suggesting that he wasn't dogwhistling the "Don't Mess With Texas" secessionist bloc.

Dogwhistling is a thing. It happens. Politicians on both sides do it a lot, but Republicans have gotten really good at it because they need to court some really unsavory voter bases (largely the white racist demographic) if they want to conjure up momentum in times where the census is turning against them.

Despite not really being a story (because it's so common, sadly), calling out these dog whistles does serve the valuable purpose of making the politicians in question go on the record as denouncing the unsavory thing that they were hinting at liking.

Republicans will jump on any minor gaffe or mis-speak that a Democrat will make, even if it wasn't pandering to a group that openly or secretly endorse violent revolution, so I don't see why Perry should get a free pass.

It might not be news, but it is fair game.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's shiny?

Burtletoy on
This discussion has been closed.