As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Weightlifting Thread] Don't Forget: Slider Is A Moron

OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited August 2011 in Social Entropy++
Does this seem awesome?

Weightlifting_Action_Gallery5.jpg

or this?

Caber_throw.jpg

Or is this more your speed?

PEOPLESPULLLG.jpg

Whatever type of lifting you fancy, this is where we get together and talk about it.

Links worth checking out:

http://www.elitefts.com/
http://www.straighttothebar.com/
http://www.dieselcrew.com/
http://www.mobilitywod.com/

Thanks for the OP, Joe Chemo

Tube on

• KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am paranoid at the gym because I do not want to be this guy, this thread title guy

so I try to ninja around and do things as subtly as possible

Kazaka on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    There was a guy yesterday who would do this after every rep with 30lb dumbbells. ROARGH *throw on ground, look around grinning, repeat*

It went on for a while.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i want to be that guy's friend.

Melding on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I like your new theme Greg.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited June 2011
    That sounds unpleasant

What do you do when you make eye contact with that dude?

Kazaka on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Pharezon wrote: »
    I like your new theme Greg.

Yeah well I like your.. face! Ha!

[tiny]Thanks[/tiny]

Melding on
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hamurabi on
  • ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, I was like that dude just dropped that barbell like a boss, and then...

ninzorjons on
    "Be excellent to each other."
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Beasteh wrote: »

If you put 208 kilos over your head like Donny Shankle has in that gif, you can dance however you want in my book.

Edit: Also I am sperging that the gif name says "powerlifter" THEY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT STRENGTH SPORTS

big l on
  • ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I would think a decline bench press would be a much worse position to get stuck in

ninzorjons on
    "Be excellent to each other."
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just stopping by to scream gutturally after every rep

don't mind me

Didgeridoo on
  • BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Beasteh wrote: »

Don't know what I'd need to work on more to be anywhere close to this, my lifting or my dancing.

Borommakot on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I started rock climbing this week, its kind of like lifting. can rock climbing be included in this thread?

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yes yes please talk about rock climbing!

That seems like so much fun and I really want to try it, but the only climbing gym in my area costs $Texas

Didgeridoo on
  • Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This has probably been posted before. Very inspirational for us injured peoples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj-gyl-e4y0

Brucelee41042 on
    edited June 2011
    I'd be really interested to hear about rock climbing!

Orikaeshigitae on
  • BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Konstantin Konstantinov is a bond villain weighting to happen.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NIi2TcTBgQ&feature=player_embedded

What he says at the end is roughly "And that's how it's done"

Borommakot on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There is a whole thread on rock climbing!

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
    edited June 2011
    where?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You may have not seen it due to its non-descriptive name, and also because it drops fast amongst other topics.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=140049

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man I never thought I would be grunting guy, but I do vocalize a lot on 3rd sets it seems.

It is ok though, I am usually the only one there so I don't feel self conscious.

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • SoulburnerSoulburner Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This has probably been posted before. Very inspirational for us injured peoples:

Wow thanks for posting that. That made my day.

Soulburner on
    edited June 2011
    Josiah_9 wrote: »
    Man I never thought I would be grunting guy, but I do vocalize a lot on 3rd sets it seems.

It is ok though, I am usually the only one there so I don't feel self conscious.

i mean, i think generally grunting is seen as a thing that happens when you're lifting heavy weight, but there's a difference between doing that and imitating angry arnold schwarzenegger circa total recall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHpIkp0FdAs

Orikaeshigitae on
  • TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Soulburner wrote: »

Wow thanks for posting that. That made my day.

Seconded. That was incredible. It's really cool just how much footage he had available there.

I was out and about on the internets looking for some motivation recently when I re-stumbled across Matthias Steiner lifting at Beijing in 2008. I'd seen the video clip when it occurred because it was on every news network. However, somehow I missed the backstory (and without that, it just looks like a really happy chubby man dancing around).
    The best writeup I found of this was from Crossfit Oakland
    First, let's briefly review Olympic weightlifting. Two lifts are contested, the snatch and the clean and jerk. Each lifter gets three attempts at each lift and the heaviest successful attempt from each lift is summed to determine the winner. There is a great deal of strategy that goes into picking the weights for each attempt, but an important point is that once you call for a certain weight, you can only increase that number, or stay put, not decrease it. Picked too much for your first attempt? Too bad. You are stuck.

Matthias Steiner was born in Austria and had a successful career as an Olympic weightlifter there until 2005. He competed in the Olympics in Athens in 2004 and achieved a 7th place finish in the -105 kg division. Despite being diagnosed with diabetes at age 18, Steiner was one of Austria's best weightlifters, setting national records and winning national championships. Between 2004 and 2005, he married a German woman, Susann, who became smitten with him after watching him lift on TV.

After a fallout between Steiner and the national coaching staff in 2005, he left Austria and applied for citizenship in Germany. From 2005 through 2008, while his application was pending, one of the finest heavyweight lifters in Europe was unable to compete in any international competition. During this time, he and his wife began to plan for the Olympics and set up a savings account to help defray expenses for the trip. All of these plans were tragically upended when Susann was killed in a car crash in July 2007. According to Reuters, while at her bedside, he made a pledge to his unconscious and dying wife that he would continue on to the Olympics.

Steiner turned to the lifting platform in the wake of his wife's death and trained for the Olympics with incredible focus. In early 2008, Germany awarded him citizenship and he began to compete for the German National Team, turning in some impressive performances prior to the Games. He put on a significant amount of weight, tipping the scales in Beijing at about 320 pounds.

During the snatch competition at the Olympics, Steiner successfully put 203 kg (448 lb) above his head, but missed his third attempt, putting him 7 kg behind his competition, a fairly significant deficit. To make matters worse, Steiner missed his first attempt at the clean and jerk. In general, you always want to make your first attempt to get on the board. Missing the first attempt is a confidence destroyer and there is no way to call for less weight. Steiner successfully completed his second attempt by taking a 2 kg increase to 248 kg (547 lb). However, the competition was not standing still during any of this. Russia's Evgeny Chigishev had a 7 kg lead in the snatch and managed to clean and jerk 250 kg for his last attempt. Chigishev was in a commanding position after his last lift. In order to win, Steiner needed to make an improbably large jump on his final clean and jerk of 10 kg. Steiner had never lifted this much and calling for a 10 kg jump to 258 kg (569 lb) was practically an act of desperation, with almost no chance of success.

What happened next produced one of the most memorable images from the Games. Steiner made his 258 kg clean and jerk attempt to win the gold and his celebration on stage was one of unadulterated joy and pure emotion. When he received his gold medal on the podium, with tears in his eyes, he held up a picture of his wife that he lost 13 months prior.

The lift, from what I can gather, was a 10kg PR, which at that level is pretty giant step up.

An all or nothing play to win by 1kg.

Gets me every time

TheRealBadger on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Managed to pull 335 x 5 on deadlifts today. Felt pretty good. It was a struggle to hold my form though. Kept wanting to drop my shoulders. Also, managed to skin my shin. Oh well, it was bound to happen eventually.

Uncle Long on
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
    edited June 2011
    That's a fucking silly comment. He can lose that weight and he'll still have an olympic gold medal and one of the most inspirational moments in Olympic lifting.

TheRealBadger on
    edited June 2011
    Another angle

From the side, you can see how close he comes to missing the jerk. He drives it up, at the top it starts to fall backwards, and he gets it under control. If he sends that bar up a centimeter farther back, it's coming down behind him. A hell of a lift.

Although actually, Steiner was lucky to get a Gold. 2008 was a bad year for superheavyweights. Rezazadeh had just retired months earlier because of injuries, Scerbatihs was way past his prime, Chigishev weighed about 50# less than Steiner, and nobody else stepped up. Most years, the winning SHW clean and jerks over 260kg. Steiner's total wouldn't have even gotten him a medal in 2000. But it's still an unbelievable story - seeing him drop to his knees after the lift, you can't even imagine what he's feeling.

big l on
  • RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    First, let's briefly review Olympic weightlifting. Two lifts are contested, the snatch and the clean and jerk. Each lifter gets three attempts at each lift and the heaviest successful attempt from each lift is summed to determine the winner. There is a great deal of strategy that goes into picking the weights for each attempt, but an important point is that once you call for a certain weight, you can only increase that number, or stay put, not decrease it. Picked too much for your first attempt? Too bad. You are stuck.

Matthias Steiner was born in Austria and had a successful career as an Olympic weightlifter there until 2005. He competed in the Olympics in Athens in 2004 and achieved a 7th place finish in the -105 kg division. Despite being diagnosed with diabetes at age 18, Steiner was one of Austria's best weightlifters, setting national records and winning national championships. Between 2004 and 2005, he married a German woman, Susann, who became smitten with him after watching him lift on TV.

After a fallout between Steiner and the national coaching staff in 2005, he left Austria and applied for citizenship in Germany. From 2005 through 2008, while his application was pending, one of the finest heavyweight lifters in Europe was unable to compete in any international competition. During this time, he and his wife began to plan for the Olympics and set up a savings account to help defray expenses for the trip. All of these plans were tragically upended when Susann was killed in a car crash in July 2007. According to Reuters, while at her bedside, he made a pledge to his unconscious and dying wife that he would continue on to the Olympics.

Steiner turned to the lifting platform in the wake of his wife's death and trained for the Olympics with incredible focus. In early 2008, Germany awarded him citizenship and he began to compete for the German National Team, turning in some impressive performances prior to the Games. He put on a significant amount of weight, tipping the scales in Beijing at about 320 pounds.

During the snatch competition at the Olympics, Steiner successfully put 203 kg (448 lb) above his head, but missed his third attempt, putting him 7 kg behind his competition, a fairly significant deficit. To make matters worse, Steiner missed his first attempt at the clean and jerk. In general, you always want to make your first attempt to get on the board. Missing the first attempt is a confidence destroyer and there is no way to call for less weight. Steiner successfully completed his second attempt by taking a 2 kg increase to 248 kg (547 lb). However, the competition was not standing still during any of this. Russia's Evgeny Chigishev had a 7 kg lead in the snatch and managed to clean and jerk 250 kg for his last attempt. Chigishev was in a commanding position after his last lift. In order to win, Steiner needed to make an improbably large jump on his final clean and jerk of 10 kg. Steiner had never lifted this much and calling for a 10 kg jump to 258 kg (569 lb) was practically an act of desperation, with almost no chance of success.

What happened next produced one of the most memorable images from the Games. Steiner made his 258 kg clean and jerk attempt to win the gold and his celebration on stage was one of unadulterated joy and pure emotion. When he received his gold medal on the podium, with tears in his eyes, he held up a picture of his wife that he lost 13 months prior.

The lift, from what I can gather, was a 10kg PR, which at that level is pretty giant step up.

An all or nothing play to win by 1kg.

Gets me every time[/spoiler]

Fuck me, I remember watching that. That's incredible.

RabidDeathMoose on
    edited June 2011
    Slider wrote: »
    That's great, but I'd prefer not to have a chubby man body.

Did you even read TRB's post? His wife fell in love with him after seeing him lift on TV!!!! Is there any kind of fitness that could possibly be functional?

big l on
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wouldn't want somebody to fall in love with me based on my looks. I liken it to being in a relationship with somebody, because they have money.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I've been doing pushups, situps, punching drills and crunches. Progress is slow but that's okay.

I gave my boyfriend a set of weights a couple of years ago and I'm going to reclaim them. Are there any exercises or movements I should be avoiding with them, or is just stuff off SparkPeople and fitness websites okay to pick up and do?

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
    edited June 2011
    Meh. Sorry. I'm in a bad mood. I haven't been to the gym for a few days and am stuck in a relationship that's making me depressed.

I hear you dude. I just had to take nearly two weeks out of the gym due to shitty workload. It doesn't do great things for the mood (let alone relationship issues).

First workout back has crippled me with DOMS. Sweet, sweet DOMS.

TheRealBadger on
    edited June 2011
    Borommakot wrote: »
    Konstantin Konstantinov is a bond villain weighting to happen.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NIi2TcTBgQ&feature=player_embedded

What he says at the end is roughly "And that's how it's done"

Is that really his name? That's pretty funny.

More pertinently, I'm not exactly a lifting pro, but that is a really odd looking DL. I know it does take some back, but I thought the idea was to use the legs and keep yourself from injury?

Also that dude IS the Heavy

Kazaka on
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
    edited June 2011
    Indeed that is his name.

Big l posted this a little while back:

18067_490600820436_738010436_11143164_4349738_n.jpg

Big dude.

The round back is a style a lot of big pullers seem to use (see Bob Peoples in OP for example) and I've seen a lot of tall guys especially doing it. It's important to note though that it's (ideally) only rounding in the thoracic region, rather than the lumbar.

Here is a good little discussion of the round backed deadlift. I had it bookmarked for the points about hips shooting up but it's an interesting read. Cressy also touches on it here.

Probably not the best technique to try and master as a beginner but yeah, it's a thing.

TheRealBadger on
This discussion has been closed.