As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Saddest day of my life - Yu Suzuki is leaving Sega

TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6414/yu_suzuki_at_a_time_of_transition.php

I feel like crying. I can't explain without sounding sappy how much I've admired Yu Suzuki. He's been my hero since I was a very young kid, when I discovered that there was one man responsible for all the sega arcade games of my youth. I've been playing Yu Suzuki games since birth. His name was the very first video game developer's name I ever learned, after reading an article about him in an issue of EGM in 1991. He inspired me to take up computer programming. He is the reason I am who I am today.

He is, in my opinion, the greatest video game maker of all time. He is, in the most literal sense of the word, my hero.

this is the end of an era. I can't believe this.

:(

TheSonicRetard on

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    literally the only video game maker with a video game in the Smithsonian institute

literally invented multiple genres, including the 3D fighter

the undisputed king of the arcade. He created the highest grossing arcade game of all time - Daytona USA.

Any time anyone ever mentions that Sega was the greatest arcade game maker of all time, they were actually talking about Yu Suzuki

goddamn

TheSonicRetard on
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Worst news ever.

Igort on
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Blue skies

WELCOME TO THE FANTASY ZONE
    GET READY

TheSonicRetard on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    sad news, but if this is the saddest day of your life..

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does this mean no Shenmue conclusion? :(

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SEGA left SEGA somewhere between 1 and 10 years ago. That Yu is leaving really is only a surprise in that it took this long. Has he announced any future plans? Honestly if he got a job with a third party publisher I could see some great things in the future.

I mean, dude could end out working on a Conker or Metroid Prime... that's not bad news by any standard.

He's also staying on as an advisor and has his OWN COMPANY and gets to do what he wants now.

dispatch.o on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    SEGA left SEGA somewhere between 1 and 10 years ago.

So how bout that Valkyria Chronicles 2 on PS3? Oh, wait....

Now Ryo will never hunt the man in the black car :(

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    this is the end of an era.

I couldn't agree more.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Any time anyone ever mentions that Sega was the greatest arcade game maker of all time, they were actually talking about Yu Suzuki

No one actually talks about this.

You've got quite a life if some dude leaving Sega is the worst day of your life.

Endomatic on
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    One of your parents needs to die or something. I can't believe this is the saddest day of your life.

Delta Assault on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I thought he left years ago. Eh.

And I guess the Shenmue game that was never going to get made anyways is now... doubley not going to get made, or something.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't see any reason to be sad about this. He got out of the vortex of bland mediocrity that is modern Sega. It is a joyous day.

reVerse on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah this isn't really sad, it just means he might have the freedom to create something decent now.

ben0207 on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really wouldn't call this a sad day either, I haven't heard a peep from him since... ooh I dunno, the Dreamcast days? If this can free him up to make amazing games like before, then I'm all for it.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The man was a visionary, the kind of Miyamoto Sega needed to establish itself and keep things fresh throughout the years. Hang-On, Space Harrier, After Burner, Virtua Fighter & Virtua Cop, Shenmue. . . I don't really think most folks here understand the kind of impact Suzuki has had on the industry, and his leaving signifies a very unfortunate truth right now: innovation takes a backseat to sales numbers as far as publishers are concerned. The man deserved better than to have his ideas blocked by Sega's flagging finances during the late 90's and early 2000's, so I hope he at least gets a nice retirement package from them.

I salute you Mr. Suzuki, you magnificent lunatic.

Grimthwacker on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Endomatic wrote: »

No one actually talks about this.

You've got quite a life if some dude leaving Sega is the worst day of your life.

I don't see why a role model leaving his job of what? three decades? Is something he shouldn't be sad about.

TSR wants to be a game designer. He loves Sega. This guy was basically 80% of sega for a chunk of his life.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    literally the only video game maker with a video game in the Smithsonian institute

Not for long

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's really not that sad, Yu wanted to move on and he is staying as an advisor. YS industries is his main focus now, and he left an amazing legacy in his wake. To be honest with you SEGA haven't been the best to him in the last decade, and I'm surprised he stayed as long as his did.

Also, Shenmue 3, meet cliff, cliff meet Shenmue 3.

Waka Laka on
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was scrolling down the G&T page pretty fast and my mind read the title as "Yu Suzuki leaves for Space".

This is much sadder.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sad would be Yu Suzuki dying. Yu Suzuki leaving the shell that is Sega to focus on what he wants to do should be considered a joyful thing.

RainbowDespair on
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Not for long

Star Fox Assault? Really?

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    I was scrolling down the G&T page pretty fast and my mind read the title as "Yu Suzuki leaves for Space".

This is much sadder.

He returned to his home planet.

Couscous on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Davoid wrote: »

Not for long

As long as Adventure wasn't in there.

Cause people had to vote them in, you see.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am happy for you that this is the saddest day in your life

by which I mean I'm happy you've not had to endure worse stuff, not that I'm happy you're sad.

he didnt seem that involved in recent game projects the last x years anyways. It's a good thing your hero goes on to better endeavors

Alegis on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Check out his output over the last decade, according to Wikipedia:

Suzuki Yu - Game Works Vol. 1 2002 Dreamcast
    Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution 2002 Sega NAOMI 2 / PS2 Executive director
    Virtua Fighter 4 Final Tuned 2003 Sega NAOMI 2 Producer
    Propeller Arena 2003 Leaked Online Dreamcast Executive director
    Virtua Cop 3 2003 Sega Chihiro Executive director
    OutRun 2 2003 Sega Chihiro Producer
    Shenmue Online Cancelled PC Director
    Psy-Phi 2005 Cancelled Sega Lindbergh Producer
    Sega Race TV 2008 Sega Lindbergh Producer
    Shenmue City 2010 Yahoo Mobage Service Director

The guy was either in a hellacious rut or Sega wouldn't allow him to complete anything. Either way, it's very much for the best that he's moving on.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Davoid wrote: »

Not for long

As long as Adventure wasn't in there.

Cause people had to vote them in, you see.

See, people still voted in Star Fox Assault

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • LeetfulLeetful Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TSR wants to be a game designer. He loves Sega. This guy was basically 80% of sega for a chunk of his life.

No he doesn't. As it turns out, game designers design games. This guy just lives in some kind of hyper-nostalgic fantasy.

This thread is sad, but not why you think.

Leetful on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    He's no Gunpei Yokoi.

Now THAT'S sad.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Check out his output over the last decade, according to Wikipedia:

Suzuki Yu - Game Works Vol. 1 2002 Dreamcast
    Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution 2002 Sega NAOMI 2 / PS2 Executive director
    Virtua Fighter 4 Final Tuned 2003 Sega NAOMI 2 Producer
    Propeller Arena 2003 Leaked Online Dreamcast Executive director
    Virtua Cop 3 2003 Sega Chihiro Executive director
    OutRun 2 2003 Sega Chihiro Producer
    Shenmue Online Cancelled PC Director
    Psy-Phi 2005 Cancelled Sega Lindbergh Producer
    Sega Race TV 2008 Sega Lindbergh Producer
    Shenmue City 2010 Yahoo Mobage Service Director

The guy was either in a hellacious rut or Sega wouldn't allow him to complete anything. Either way, it's very much for the best that he's moving on.

Damn

Yeah, the guy was a visionary, and even though the only work I enjoyed from him was VF, looking at this list it is indeed a good thing he's moving on.

Now Sega can get back to getting Sonic BACK TO HIS ROOTS WOO with no interruption

(Sonic will not be getting back to his roots and Sega is tricking people into buying another shitty game because they don't actually make good games anymore)

UnbreakableVow on
  • AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Whats with all the TSR hate?

Agahnim on
    2.jpg
    3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    sonic had a bit of a robert downey jr moment around 2006 and is now on the up and up again with Generations, but that is another matter entirely

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is actually good for him. His talents were wasted at Sega, as they've been for years.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Agahnim wrote: »
    The thread title is hyperbole to a terrible degree

I love TSR, but saying a developer's departure from a company is the saddest day of your life is inviting criticism.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I'll admit that I was on the hate bandwagon at first, but I'm willing to overlook the "saddest day of my life" hyperbole because we all do it.

Still, this actually sounds like good news to me. If there's anything to feel bad about, it's Sega's lack of quality games since the Dreamcast era, and the fact that they've (presumably) strangled this man's creative output during that time.

Feeling anything but disappointment or dissatisfaction with the Sega of recent years is akin to a battered wife sticking with her abusive spouse because she used to be in love with him, can't imagine life after escape, or maybe spawned some kids with him. So, TSR, I know you're sad right now, but a split is probably the best thing that could have happened. At least for the battered wife.

Companies change, people change, the whole world changes. However, you can still respect the games Sega and Yu Suzuki created in their good days. Those games and memories are not undone by any decision made in the future.

Halibut on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Halibut wrote: »

I'll admit that I was on the hate bandwagon at first, but I'm willing to overlook the "saddest day of my life" hyperbole because we all do it.

Maybe it's not even hyperbole, so yeah, don't hate people

Video games have certainly been linked to some of the happiest days of my life; I don't see why the opposite couldn't be true.

UnbreakableVow on
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dashui wrote: »
    Does this mean no Shenmue conclusion? :(

Ahahaha. Yeah, this is the one and only thing that's keeping Sega from making another Shenmue.

gtrmp on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wonder what's happening with that Shenmue cellphone game now.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • RestartRestart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TSR's just using hyperbole. It's a pretty big deal for him, but I seriously doubt he's weeping on his keyboard right now.

I was pretty shocked at Inafune leaving Capcom, but now I'm just excited to see what he's come up with in his own company. Apparently, we'll get to see at the Tokyo Game Show.

Restart on
    spritesWalk.gif
  • DversedDversed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    This is actually good for him. His talents were wasted at Sega, as they've been for years.

I agree with this. Maybe the public will finally get to play something new from him.

Dversed on
  • astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SEGA did make Valkyria Chronicles recently. That's pretty much the extent of their recent high quality work, though.

astronautcowboy3 on
    The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.