As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Weightlifting Thread] Don't Forget: Slider Is A Moron

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Slider wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd like to see him do that deadlift from the ground.

Reasonably similar weight

Good angle to see the back too

TheRealBadger on
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    He's a bodyguard of the President of Latvia.

big l on
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • SoulburnerSoulburner Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Why does it look like he's wearing his belt really high?

That's probably where it does him the most good. I get the most out of my belt wearing it just above my belly button. The idea behind the belt is to provide a solid wall to push your abs against, it has nothing to do with your back except indirectly. Maybe you know this all already and have never seen it quite that high, but the belt goes wherever it provides the most solid wall for your belly to push against. If you use a belt and have never thought to put it up high give it a shot and see how it feels for you.

Anyway, in other matters my technique is coming along with my o-lifts and I got 195 with my c&j today and my body-weight is almost back up to 165 so hopefully I'll finally be able to break the 170 mark some time soon. I use a split jerk and my back leg almost went on me but I was able to just get it up. Felt great.

I also added another 5 pounds to my front squat to make it 310. I went for 315 but couldn't make it past the 2/3 mark, maybe next time.

As soon as I get the cash I'm getting a bearing bar, a bunch of bumper plates, and a squat stand and I'm going to do most of my lifting in the empty parking stall I have in the underground lot in my building. That's my fucking spot, I can do what I like in it.

Soulburner on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Soulburner wrote: »
    As soon as I get the cash I'm getting a bearing bar, a bunch of bumper plates, and a squat stand and I'm going to do most of my lifting in the empty parking stall I have in the underground lot in my building. That's my fucking spot, I can do what I like in it.

Wait, are you gonna just leave the gear there, or haul it down there every time you lift?

Do they make collars with locks? :P

Hamurabi on
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    congrats i guess? yeah!

god, so yesterday morning i didnt go to the gym because i was out late drinking for a work party and so i didnt sleep well, and then was gonna go in the PM but i got out of work late and was too sleepy, and felt like shitting myself

and then of course last night instead of getting a good nights sleep and leaving my friend's birthday party early... i got home at 330, ate street meat and went to sleep at 430
    and circadian rhythms made me wake up at 830

so now i feel horrible again too

i dunno if i should gym or just say eff it, i missed one day, whatever, first day i've missed in like over 2 months

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited June 2011
    lack of sleep also fucks with my digestive tract and now i feel like i'd poo myself at the gym

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2011
    Well, bulking over. I weighed myself last night at 203 pounds, so I had a total gain of 21 pounds in three months. I did my measurements in the morning, though, so the water weight is down. This morning I ground through a fasted exercise set and then proceeded to throw up my protein shake. GOOD TIMES.
    Weight 197.2 (+.2) (a gain even with the water weight difference)
    Chest 45.25+.25
    Waist 34.00-.50
    Stomach 36.25-1.25
    Biceps 16.25+.25

While I think it's definitely possible to chase both strength and hypertrophy at the same time, I've come to see the value of just doing one or the other. I'm 100% positive I could not have done both while trying for linear gains, but 5/3/1 seemed to work since you have the + sets and the gains are regulated better. Still, if I keep this up I think I'll probably get on three/two/one month strength/bodybuilding/free cycles and not mix the two.

A duck! on
  • losabiolosabio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does this mean I can knock the DBs together on my set of flyes? I think it does, bros!

losabio on
    edited June 2011
    losabio wrote: »
    Does this mean I can knock the DBs together on my set of flyes? I think it does, bros!

Well, the point of doin' a fly is chest compression, so you may as well get every last millimeter out of it. If you're leaving space because you think it is bro to have the weights clank a little then I suggest you try the cable machines.

A duck! on
    edited June 2011
    sigh

stupid sleep

stupid lazy

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2011
    That's great, but I'd prefer not to have a chubby man body.

You're a fucking cretin.

Tube on
  • RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's great, but I'd prefer not to have a chubby man body.

You're a fucking cretin.

Dog chicken.

RabidDeathMoose on
    edited June 2011
    I don't even think the magical properties of dog chicken can fix this one. Good suggestion though.

Tube on
  • RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't even think the magical properties of dog chicken can fix this one. Good suggestion though.

In his defense he did already apologize. But yes it does take a special case of myopia to have missed the point so completely.

RabidDeathMoose on
  • SoulburnerSoulburner Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Soulburner wrote: »

Wait, are you gonna just leave the gear there, or haul it down there every time you lift?

Do they make collars with locks? :P

Actually my storage locker is almost right next to my spot, so I can keep everything stored in there and dragging it in and out will take minimal time and serve as a bit of a warm-up/cool down, I just need a find the right squat stand. Something like these: http://fitnessgeardiscounters.com/fitness-equipment/bd-3-squat-stands/ but that can handle more weight. I know I've seen videos of guys in olympic gyms with similar squat stands doing 600+ squats so I know they're out there.

A-ha! Found some: http://promaximamfg.com/default.aspx?act=Catalog.aspx&catalogid=583&category=Free%20Weights%20Lower%20Body&browse=null&MenuGroup=Home&desc=FW-7%20Adjustable%20Squat%20Stand&&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

583.jpg

Those are what Glenn Pendlay uses at his gym. He highly recommends them and has multiple 600+ squatters that use them with no problems. They cost less than $200 as well. With those, a good bar, and some bumpers I'll have everything I need to lift at home. Fuck, I can hardly wait.

Soulburner on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Feeling some stiffness near the hips. Nothing too bad, I figure some icing will get rid of it. But is this something normal or should I start looking at changing my squatting form?

Hoz on
    edited June 2011
    It's probably nothing.

Tube on
  • Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does anyone have experience of Bodymax stuff, specifically this multigym though if anyone can vouch for something that's similar we're not wedded to this one model.

I know freeweights are the best way but this is for my girlfriend's mum who has some balance problems (Menieres and viral labrynthitis) so I don't think she'll go for free weights. And a gym won't work as noise/crowds set off her dizziness.

Our main question is regarding sturdiness, I know some multigyms can be quite rattly/wobbly and she'd rather something that doesn't feel like it's going to collapse any minute.

My other worry is that a lot of multigyms end up being a jack of all trades, master of none.

Ashaman42 on
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ashaman42 wrote: »

I know freeweights are the best way but this is for my girlfriend's mum who has some balance problems (Menieres and viral labrynthitis) so I don't think she'll go for free weights. And a gym won't work as noise/crowds set off her dizziness.

I have no idea how labrynthitis could cause balance problems.

bowie-lab.jpg

In other news, ran my marathon today. Shade over 5 hours of runnings. Not ever doing a full again.

So now gotta build a new routine that includes legs. I'll post something on monday abotu potential routines and your guys thoughts.

mrt144 on
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just got home from today's meet. If I could describe today's meet in a phrase, it would be "close but no cigar".

So going into, my plan for 3rd attempts was 450#+275#+475#=1200#. It quickly became apparent in the final weeks of training that 450# was too light for the third attempt and too heavy for the second, so changes were made, but a 1200# was what I had hoped for.

So upon arrival, I weighed in. I hadn't weighed myself for weeks beforehand, I expected to be around 250# (I ate a whole pizza yesterday, among many other things). Imagine my surprise when I weighed 244#! Particularly so since there is a weight class that tops off at 242# and I could have easily made that cut had I known to go for it. But I'm not going to set a record in either class, so it's no big deal. Still, close but no cigar.

Squat. 405# is trivial to open with. You have so much adrenaline for the opener and 405# is easy for me at this point anyways. 440# is a good, challenging but not ball-busting second attempt. But on the third attempt of 463# (a weight I had missed two weeks ago in the gym after making a 455#), the weight goes too far forward in the hole and I am off balance and have no chance. I can't do a good morning with 463#. In the debrief with the coach he says that once I get used to a wider stance and slightly shallower depth, this will get better quickly. It's frustrating to miss a weight I know I have the strength for but just can't nail the technique. Now 1200# is looking difficult with only 440# in the bag. Close but no cigar.

Bench: 235#, again trivial. 252#, also quite easy. 273# is about 2/3rds up when my right elbow comes untucked, my right arm starts to rotate, and the weight starts to swing above my face. The lever arm from the shoulder is too long and I stall. I call for spotters before I give myself a nose job the old-fashioned way. Again, a weight I was strong enough for but missed because of technique. I had done this weight in the gym before. Close but no cigar.

Deadlift: 418#, easy. I point out the coach that 458# gets us to 1150# which is a nice round number (though not as round as 1200#) so up it goes. Hard but not a max. 473# would be a PR. Alas, I explode it off the floor but above the knee, the grip dies on me and it goes back down. Finally, missing a lift because of a strength failure and not technique! Grip is a frustrating thing to lose on, though. All together now, close but no cigar!

So, 1150#. It's not bad but it isn't what I was hoping for. In hindsight I would have had to go 9/9 to get the 1200# which is a little too optimistic. But I'm still really glad I went. I had a blast and it is always fun hanging out with the other lifters. I didn't get video but still pictures were taken (close but no cigar) and I'll get those in here once I get them from the photographer (coach's girlfriend). The next meet I'm likely able to do would either be a push/pull in August or a full meet in December. I have plenty of time to get my ass in gear. I see no reason I ought not get an 800# push/pull total if I choose to do that meet and with tightening up my squat, 500# squat is not too far off.

There were two very surprising things that happened at the meet. First of all, a surprisingly hot girl with only one leg (!!!) lifted in the bench (okay, impressive but I can see it) and also the deadlift (!!!!!). Whaaaat? It was really crazy. She deadlifted like 155# or something. The balance demanded must be incredible. I have seen plenty of people do one-legged deadlifts but they always have the other leg to stick out behind them for balance. This girl just hopped up to the bar and got centered and pulled. It was quite impressive.

The other surprising thing was Stan Efferding showing up. Yeah, that Stan Efferding. It was quite subdued, he just showed up and watched from the back. I can't imagine anyone finding powerlifting very interesting to watch but Stan hung for about half the meet. Frankly I didn't even know he lived in Washington but I guess he lives in Olympia? I didn't talk to him but I got close and he is quite a large fellow. His forearms are bigger than my calves. I was kind of hoping he do an exhibition lift or something since he was clearly the strongest guy in the room but I guess that's the kind of thing he would plan ahead for.

Even though I didn't hit my goal, I had a lot of fun hanging out with the other lifters and making some good lifts. I am looking forward to the next one.

big l on
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
    edited June 2011
    Short guys have it easier, due to the arm length.

A duck! on
  • TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nice work big l. Great numbers. 9/9 is always a tough goal to make if you've structured your attempts right. Good to see you stuck the second ones though.

Sweet to see Stan Efferding too, that dude is a beast. How tall is he?

It would be cool if you could find out when he's competing next and check it out. Those lifts he put up in May were awesome.

TheRealBadger on
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lifting tomorrow with straps for the first time, got 'em for RDLs and they cost me $3 so it's cool either way. I hope they work though.

Peen on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    had my first failure today. was proud of my form on squats, deadlifts went well, but i got 2 sets into the overhead presses and had to bail.

should i have tried to complete the sets with lower weight, rather than pushing out everything i could on the current weight?

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
    edited June 2011
    OK, thanks. I'll get some more reps in here, at least - dumbbells aren't perfect, but it's weight that can be lifted.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    had my first failure today. was proud of my form on squats, deadlifts went well, but i got 2 sets into the overhead presses and had to bail.

should i have tried to complete the sets with lower weight, rather than pushing out everything i could on the current weight?

The overhead press sucks.

Oghulk on
    edited June 2011
    I sorta love it, though. Nothing makes you feel amazing like lifting things above your head.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The overhead is definitely the most intense lift that I do.

Oghulk on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A duck! wrote: »
    Short guys have it easier, due to the arm length.

There's a tall guy at my gym who can clean and press over 225#. Do tall people have any other advantages?

Being tall is terrible for making the weights lifting. You have longer lever arms for every movement, so you have to do more work than someone else lifting the same weight (with the same technique). Like, I doubt it's a huge difference, but it has been really annoying for me to try and figure out squat and deadlift technique.

Also: overhead press is honestly like the easiest compound lift, in my experience. Elbows forward, push the bar up. Easy-peasy. I do tend to burn out faster over the course of a PR set than any other lift, though.

Hamurabi on
    edited June 2011
    who put brackets in my thread title

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited June 2011
    I did.

A duck! on
    edited June 2011
    Yer an asshole.