As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Mario Strikers

• JammersJammers Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Excellent! That means we only need one more to have 4 proper groups!

Jammers, can you post your Mario Strikers code?

Friend code is 4983-1837-2239

Jammers on
    Xbox Live - Jammers007
    Nintendo Network ID - Jammers007
    3DS - 1418-6751-8378
    Steam - Jammers007
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Updated groups!

Group #1

1) Cullen
    2) PotU
    3) Alfred J. Kwak

Group #2

1) DuckterPepper
    2) Jam Warrior
    3) S-Starwind

Group #3

1) Amygdala
    2) Rami
    3) Mr_Grinch

Group #4

1) LeRoy
    2) Jammers
    3) AndyDarko (Friend of Mr_Grinch and certified 'nice guy')

LeRoy + Jammers, with regards to my friend I'll pm you his Hotmail/Gmail details. He's said it's fine, so just add him and give him a PM when you want to play.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DuckterPepper and S-Starwind, you guys are in for an easy ride. You will beat me so hard.

Wait, I'm not doing this smack talk thing right am I?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • S-StarwindS-Starwind Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So the wii doesn't have any method of voice for online play right?

S-Starwind on
    XBLive GamerTag - II The Starwind (Playing - Halo 4, Dungeon Defeners)
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Final Fantasy XIV - Masamune Server (Moving to Sargantanas) - Rykosho Hoshikaze
    Steam ID - The Starwind
    edited June 2007
    Nope, if you have a pc setup nearby then we can use the PA Ventrillo server, it works nicely whilst playing.

S-Starwind, have you got a code yet that I can add?

Mr_Grinch on
  • AmygdalaAmygdala Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Will this do, or have I forgotten an important statistic?
    Current placement of the players in the table is not indicative of skill level. Yet. :P

Amygdala on
    spec.png
  • CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    PotU, Alfred J - PM me when you want some easy points.

Cullen on
  • LeRoyLeRoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    so the Cup starts?
    Got a little Confused after so many late entrys.

Gonna PM/Email about Matchmaking tomorrow.

LeRoy on
    Mario Stürmer Aufgeladen Fußball:
    Friend Code 064 526 171 784
    edited June 2007
    LeRoy, yeah, things happened last minute. It's all up and beginning now though.

Amygdala, spreadsheet looks good to me to keep track of things!

If either you or Rami are about tomorrow evening I should have chance to play then!

Mr_Grinch on
    edited June 2007
    One more thing. Is there any rule regarding the change of Captain/Sidekicks between games to counter the opponents tactics?

LeRoy on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Good point.

I'd say it's fine between the home/away sections as both people can do it. But Grinch is God here.

As a side note is there any difference made by the home/away choice other than the character intros?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Home team picks captain first. That's why you play everyone twice, home and away. The home guy also sets up the game and chooses the pitch.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited June 2007
    Personally I feel there should be no rule against changing Captain/Sidekicks between games. For a start it's just a bit of fun, ruthless as we all may be, and secondly in a real match (although I'm not overly up on football) there's no harm in changing the team around.

So I'm fine with Captain switching/changing if everyone else is.

Yeah, Home guy has advantage of first pick on captain and choice of stage. So if you're better at a certain one go with that ;-)

Mr_Grinch on
    edited June 2007
    So, I will be here the whole evening. If one of you two has time, just post here or pm me and we can play.

Amygdala on
    spec.png
    edited June 2007
    I can manage tomorrow night. Tonight I'm at the gym and then pub and somehow I feel my "skills" would be dampened by booze!

Mr_Grinch on
    edited June 2007
    the time for the matches is not in the OP.
    I suggest 3 minutes, all the random matches go to 3.

LeRoy on
    edited June 2007
    Got my friend code:
    1761-9591-3160 (Starwind)

S-Starwind on
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Steam ID - The Starwind
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    LeRoy wrote: »
    the time for the matches is not in the OP.
    I suggest 3 minutes, all the random matches go to 3.

3 mins should be fine then, I guess

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
    edited June 2007
    tried to play Andy tonight but ISPs everywhere mad it an unbearable task. 1 fo 4 Stars for the Ping is like the production speed of stop motion animation: slow!
    We will try it the next couple of days again.

LeRoy on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Does the KI level effect your chance of scoring a goal? I was playing a few games with Potu with KI level 2, and it seemed like every shot from my hammer brother went straight into the net. Maybe we should set the KI to level 3?

In other news, I just beat number 41 and number 108 in the rankings, and damn if those weren't the most dramatic matches I have played yet.

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited June 2007
    Don't forget that ranks reset every monday, in the first day or two it's more of an indicator of who has played the most (though that's all it is mainly anyway).

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • DuckterPepperDuckterPepper Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    the op says 5 mins. please play 5 min matches, otherwise the "score" value gets unfair in the statistics.

and yeah, we should set the cpu level. doesnt the op say level 2 ?

edit:
    - The person hosting (Home team) should set the game CPU to Level 2
    - 3 Points for a win in normal time (in five minutes)

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
    edited June 2007
    the op says 5 mins. please play 5 min matches, otherwise the "score" value gets unfair in the statistics.

edit:

I just want to say that level 2 is a bit low. The keeper reacts too slow and this gives other players unfair advantages (The chances that hammer bros. shoot goals with charged shots are even higher, Kwak and I just tested). And we just played some 3 minute matches and there were already enough goals.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    PotU wrote: »

edit:

I just want to say that level 2 is a bit low. The keeper reacts too slow and this gives other players unfair advantages (The chances that hammer bros. shoot goals with charged shots are even higher, Kwak and I just tested). And we just played some 3 minute matches and there were already enough goals.

Aw man, I just came here to post the result of our first encounter, but because I didn't read the OP carefully enough and insisted on playing 3min matches (just like ranked matches, after all), we have to play the whole series again. Well, I would like to share the results with you anyway just so that you know that I should have been the winner :P
    5 - 0 Potu
    3 - 6 Alfred
    7 - 2 Potu
    4 - 6 Alfred
    3 - 4 Alfred

edit: we've been playing with KI level set to 3 btw, 2 seemed like it would have been too easy to score a goal.

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited June 2007
    Okies, will update op. Being everyone agrees on KI as 3, that's what we'll set it at (I only put it as 2 as I stole the rules off that other forum :) )

I'm easy on time, that 5 minutes bit slipped in from where I pinched the rules from! Whichever the majority would prefer is fine with me. Being only one set of matches has been played at 3 mins and cpu level 3 would anyone object to setting those as the base rules? It means we can count the games and it's also pretty standard.

BIG TEXT TO STAND OUT

Rules updated, please see op! But in summary:

- Matches set to 3 Minutes
    - CPU Level set to 3
    - I cannot organise a pissup in a brewery

Apologies for the changes, but they seem for the best :D

Mr_Grinch on
    edited June 2007
    Changes seem fine. Just need to find the right time to play the games.
    I've added the friend codes for my group, but I'm not available to play this evening.

S-Starwind on
    Steam ID - The Starwind
    edited June 2007

edit:

Aw man, I just came here to post the result of our first encounter, but because I didn't read the OP carefully enough and insisted on playing 3min matches (just like ranked matches, after all), we have to play the whole series again. Well, I would like to share the results with you anyway just so that you know that I should have been the winner :P
    5 - 0 Potu
    3 - 6 Alfred
    7 - 2 Potu
    4 - 6 Alfred
    3 - 4 Alfred

edit: we've been playing with KI level set to 3 btw, 2 seemed like it would have been too easy to score a goal.

Congrats Alfred! I've updated the op but I'm sure I'll figure out a better way to keep track of results when more come in!

Just quickly, none of the games went to sudden death did they (you can never tell with the results, just in case someone scores a Super Strike in sudden death etc)? When I posted the results I assumed they didn't.

Mr_Grinch on
    edited June 2007
    Congrats Alfred! I've updated the op but I'm sure I'll figure out a better way to keep track of results when more come in!

Just quickly, none of the games went to sudden death did they (you can never tell with the results, just in case someone scores a Super Strike in sudden death etc)? When I posted the results I assumed they didn't.

To be honest, I don't quite remember if the last game went into sudden death. Perheps PotU knows better then me ...

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited June 2007
    good to have the rules set in. thanks Kie.

LeRoy on
    edited June 2007

To be honest, I don't quite remember if the last game went into sudden death. Perheps PotU knows better then me ...

If it was, do I get more points?

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
    edited June 2007

If it was, do I get more points?

Yep, and him slightly less (I believe it's 2 for him and 1 for you...it says in the OP anyway somewhere)

Be honest though :p

Mr_Grinch on
    edited June 2007
    I'm confused, you played two series?

I thought it was two single 5 minute matches, one home one away. Is it actually two 3 match series instead?

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2007
    From the Op:

Games should be best of 5

So they had one game.

Urgh, trying to organise this makes my head work. Next time I'll actually think through what people will ask and how it'll work, rather than wing it and hope for the best ;)

Mr_Grinch on
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I thought winning a series would give points, as opposed to every single game in the series. But I get it now. You still up for a game this evening, Grinch?

Also, I updated my spreadsheet a bit to include the scores of all 120 matches of the group phase. I assume the best one of each group advances into the knock out rounds?

Amygdala on
    spec.png
    edited June 2007
    Yep, I'll be up for a game. Sometime after 8pm good?

And yeah, I debated the different ways to total up a game but going with the points scheme we've got (that I borrowed) it seemed easiest this way. And it's still fair.

Mr_Grinch on
    edited June 2007
    Well, yeah, it was a sudden death, Alfred will agree with me.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Well, I´m logged in and waiting, Mr_Grinch. If you want your 9 points, go for it. I mean, even the computer can beat me on AI level 3, so you shouldn´t have too hard a time :P

Amygdala on
    spec.png
    edited June 2007
    I can't remember those scores Simon.

4-1
    5-2
    5-3

3-1
    2-1
    3-2

Is that right?

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2007
    Rami wrote: »
    I can't remember those scores Simon.

4-1
    5-2
    5-3

3-1
    2-1 Sudden Death
    2-1

Is that right?
    Fix´d. And I hate you, if only because you made me suffer through Birdos score pose so many times.

Amygdala on
    spec.png
    edited June 2007
    I only picked her for the music.

So what, we get points for each individual match?

You scored while I was typing this damnit

Rami on
    sig.gif