As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The PAX Pokemon League [Video!]

HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in PAX Archive
teaser.png

Prepare for trouble, and make it double! The second PAX Prime Pokemon League is coming soon, and soon your childhood dreams of fighting Gym Leaders, earning badges, and defeating the dastardly Team Rocket will be realized.

The PAX Pokemon League is an alternate-reality game that is played during all of PAX and is played with your own copy of Pokemon Black or White. Full rules are posted on our website.

News: http://paxpokemonleague.com/index.html
About: http://paxpokemonleague.com/about.html
Rules: http://paxpokemonleague.com/rules.html

Heleor on

• reekuzareekuza Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pretty excited. ;3

reekuza on
  • CerrusCerrus Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Good lord this sounds awesome. Well, time to put in my gym leader application

Cerrus on
  • BrenderousBrenderous Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I guess I'll be playing a LOT of Pokémon at PAX, whether I'm standing in line or not:P

Brenderous on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I know I will be participating in some form.

PeasantDave on
  • ElgaladwenElgaladwen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am very excited for this!

Elgaladwen on
    OddishSmallSprite.gif
    Be the very best. Like no one ever was. http://paxpokemonleague.net
  • thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Professor Pine here!

Just so you all know, We're taking a good long look at applications this week! There are a lot of good applications, but we still want more! To have a good shot at being a leader (if that's what you want to do) Go sign up Post-haste! The sooner you apply, the more likely you are to get accepted.

That being said: if you don't apply soon, don't take it like you'll never be accepted. The nature of the beast is that people drop from the league for many reasons, so we're always in search of good leaders.

All else fails, show us what you've got and be crowned champion of the Pax Pookemon Legue as a challenger!

thespiffyneostar on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    We will be accepting leaders three days after badges go on sale.

Please do not be alarmed if you don't hear back on your application until then.

Heleor on
  • StarVVolphStarVVolph Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Will be a blast. ;)

StarVVolph on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A little confused on some questions on the application, but I'll do my best to answer them!

If not, then maybe as a grunt or a Veteran or whatever. I may have an idea for the Buttoneering to coinside with this.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
    edited April 2011
    The application process allows us all to privately answer any questions you have and talk back and forth on the actual application. We'd be glad to have you. :)

Heleor on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Never mind! ...I should read.

CaptainTapole on
  • ChrisManjiChrisManji Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    Damn, I am overly excited for this.

Although, discovering that the battles are done with Pokemon above level 50 scaled down to that level makes the amount of time I've spent grinding my Pokemon up to level 80 look a bit silly... :lol:

ChrisManji on
    edited April 2011
    I'm just trying to get my Black kids to 50. The SoulSilver kids I want to transfer are close to 65, so I want all of them to be even. ...I have some grinding to do.

CaptainTapole on
    edited April 2011
    Now that registration is open, we will start accepting the first batch of leaders in the next 3 days. :)

Heleor on
  • LumenadducereLumenadducere Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was holding out on picking up White, but I think this is going to be the straw that breaks the Camerupt's back.

Got some leveling and grinding to do! Well, starting tomorrow when I pick up my copy at the midnight launch of Portal 2.

Lumenadducere on
  • ErskinkittyErskinkitty Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    Makes me wanna buy a new DS and Pokemon white or black.

Erskinkitty on
  • waterfox17waterfox17 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Will anyone be bringing a deck of pokemon cards to play? I want to bring my LostGar deck with me. :)

waterfox17 on
    edited May 2011
    There's a few of us who play the card games, but the majority do not. :(

Heleor on
  • thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    waterfox17 wrote: »
    Will anyone be bringing a deck of pokemon cards to play? I want to bring my LostGar deck with me. :)

Soneone at the original League (from last year) actually did rather well in a national TCG Competition. I'm pretty sure he'll be back this year.

thespiffyneostar on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Funny cards were mentioned, I just got my nice shiny deck in the mail.... :D

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    All in favour of gluing Giovanni's DS to his hand?

Gameshark on
  • RaybdbombRaybdbomb Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Raybdbomb on
  • PinkRangerPinkRanger Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just got my copy of Pokemon Black. I got a lot of training to do. hehe!

PinkRanger on
    Cosplayer and a gamer.

Find me on twitter- @pink_4ssass1n
    and twitch- twitch.tv/pink_4ssass1n
    edited June 2011
    There's a lot of things here going on behind the scenes. With only two months left to PAX, we're going to cook up a wonderful event for you guys.

sam0711.jpg
    Who are these shadowy figures? What awaits you in the league?
    Stay tuned, and don't let this thread die. ;)

Heleor on
    edited June 2011
    Gameshark wrote: »

Nay, I need that for other precious gaming, like Steel Batallion and the like.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • jjcardjjcard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    so I guess if you only have Heart Gold or Soul Silver, you're out of luck, huh?

jjcard on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    they did HG and SS at the last couple PAXen, the game has evolved to B/W and so must the league!

zerzhul on
    edited June 2011
    Matev wrote: »

Nay, I need that for other precious gaming, like Steel Batallion and the like.

God, highlight of the whole show for me. Hahahahaha!

Gameshark on
  • LosarLosar Thane Vector, Rock Star Tucson, AZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't have any connection with the League (other than that badge I got that one time), but I figured I'd show my support.
    pplposter3.jpg

Poster design spoilered to conserve space.

Losar on
    Isn't that informative!? Hooray!!
    edited June 2011
    God, highlight of the whole show for me. Hahahahaha!

I got really into it, just wish I had more time to improve my skills with it.

much like many things.

This next week for example, when I'm not pal'ing around with Disney mascots, I'm going to be doing some serious training.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Blackfox138Blackfox138 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Contrary to the inactivity and non-posting, this IS still happening. Expect details in (hopefully) early July! It'll be cool! I promise!

Blackfox138 on
  • ElgaladwenElgaladwen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Contrary to the inactivity and non-posting, this IS still happening. Expect details in (hopefully) early July! It'll be cool! I promise!
    What he said.

And in the meantime...
    PPL.png

Who are these people?
    What do they have to do with the PAX Pokemon League?
    Will we ever get to see anything but pictures of silhouettes?

All these questions and more will be answered soon!

While you're waiting, I hope you're getting your Pokemon team ready for the battle of a lifetime! :D

(And Losar, I said it already on the PPL forums, but I LOVE the poster so much!)

Elgaladwen on
    OddishSmallSprite.gif
    Be the very best. Like no one ever was. http://paxpokemonleague.net
  • LumenadducereLumenadducere Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    *sigh*

My team is only in its early 30s. And then once I get them up to 50 I'm going to have to farm those stupid feathers off of that stupid bridge. My pony, she is so fragile - you poke her and she faints. But man, does she pack a punch.

Oh well, it shall be worth it. And of course huge thanks to all involved for setting this up again - I'm looking forward to seeing the gym leaders! I think I've got my elemental types covered, but there's always room adjustment.

Lumenadducere on
  • disposablecompdisposablecomp Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have been play Pokemon for years now, but always in a collector fashion. Gotta collect them all, no matter their ability, stats or moves. I have been wanting to jump into the more competitive play for sometime, partly to participate in the PAX league. Any advice or can anyone point me in a good direction on learning all that goes into training? Much appreciated.

disposablecomp on
    edited June 2011
    I hesitate to post this, but Smogon.com has been the place I would go for info. The only reason I hesitate is because those people take their Pokemons as serious business and some of it may not make sense to you. Don't be worried though, the Pax Pokemon league is aimed at allowing people such as yourself the opportunity to win some badges (not all of the Gym Leaders are aimed at competitive play).

I would also suggest checking out the actual PPL forums. They've got a board there dedicated to getting your team up to snuff. I don't know as much about Black/White as I did with the previous games, but if you've got any questions feel free to ask any through a PM or here and I'll do my best to help.

Gameshark on
    edited June 2011
    The Pax Pokemon League is aimed at allowing people such as yourself the opportunity to win some badges (not all of the Gym Leaders are aimed at competitive play).

i.e. Me. I don't know what the frickity-frack the reasons behind their IVs, EVs, Nature/Mood, etc etc etc; but all of us can do the best to our ability to answer questions you may have--just like Gameshark said.

CaptainTapole on
  • pinebarkpinebark Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    There's lots of exciting stuff going on behind the scenes as we speak -- badges are being finalized, teams completed, and costumes designed. Can't wait until we can release some of the details to everyone else!

pinebark on
    edited July 2011
    Also, I would say it would behoove you twitter shitters to do some deep searching, you never know what you'll find...

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • PoeticMadnesssPoeticMadnesss Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Whoa, been a while since I've been on these forums.

Just checking in and seeing if things are picking up or not. I'm not heading to Prime, but I'm still eager to see what's going on and the like. Personally, I'm waiting for the next East competition...already have seven teams ready to be used at a moment's notice (I've been a busy little bee)

I've also been chatting with a few people who are going to act as my surrogates...so you all might be facing a few of my teams when Prime comes along! I'm looking forward to seeing how they fare. :twisted:

PoeticMadnesss on
    **Pokemon**
    Black: 0647 5155 3272
    Pkmn Breeder
    Certified Gold Card Carrier - (E4, Entralink, Musical, Pokedex Complete)
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Poetic, you are so hardcore. I haven't even finished White yet - in fact, I haven't played it since East!

Everyone make sure lots of pictures of the PPL are taken - I'm counting on you!

RainbowTunnel on