As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Slim Fug; Concept/Portfolio-building [Other stuff NSFW]

15678911»

• The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And rightly you are, looks badass, you've made some good choices in face of all the feedback. (altough the wings could've been a bit more transparant perhaps)
    but still, this is a great piece! the lighting effect really tops it off.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This really makes me long for a more visceral Metroid title where the classic abilities are put to more creative use. Like grabbing a dessgeega, doing a space jump, and just hurling the motherfucker at a wall mid-spin. Punting Zoomers. Shoulder tackling a Geruta, and swinging it by the leg to knock out another one.

Maybe I just want a Metroid with combat like Arkham Asylum.

Delzhand on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And rightly you are, looks badass, you've made some good choices in face of all the feedback. (altough the wings could've been a bit more transparant perhaps)
    but still, this is a great piece! the lighting effect really tops it off.

Yeah, the transparency effect could have been made more effective, but to be honest this one was getting a bit long in the tooth and I was just starting to get to the point where I was kind of sick of looking at it, so I thought it best to just wrap it up. Which is also why I wasn't able to implement ND's suggestion of redoing the wings/tail to make them more badass.

But thanks!

[edit] @Delz: Which is weird because I thought that's what Other M was supposed to be? I don't know, I never played it. That just seems like the type of Metroid Team Ninja would make.

Fugitive on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I really love this concept, and I know it's too late to change anything, but that white gap in the background is really drawing my attention from the entire piece as a whole. It feels separated somehow because of the clouds, even though the wings are supposed to draw the viewer's path downward.

Maybe if you replaced more of the white smoke/clouds with the the purple it would punch up the tension of the piece, and help draw the eye to Samus. I just feel that something is needed to add more emphasis on the punch of her phazon beam cannon, or to detract from the calming smokey background.

Godfather on
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, possibly. Something like that could also help draw out the grapple beam brightness. Unfortunately, this was a commission, and has already been sent off, so for all intents and purposes its life is over. C'est la vie.

Thanks for the input, though. I would tinker with it a bit more if it was a strictly personal piece.

Fugitive on
    edited June 2011
    I was going to put these in the doodle thread, but I'm kind of in need of advice.

I'm finally getting around to trying to put together a portfolio like I promised myself I would last September, and I'm doing what I can to populate it with examples of concept work. I've spent the last year focusing on improving my art, but I haven't actually done much concept design work in that time, so I'm doing some level grinding.

I'm just kind of at a loss. I'm not quite sure how polished these should be, or how many variants, which I'd imagine would be conditional depending on the specific job. Mostly I don't know how effective these are at describing an idea, or what marks I should be hitting, so I'll just put this here.

ScooterToots.jpg

So, what did I do wrong?

Fugitive on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    These are all super similar. Same colour, same function, essentially the same design with just. Tiny variants.

Do a big, a medium, and a small one. Make everything on each one different so that an art director can go, this piece from this one, that bit on that one, and this other bit on that one rather than confusing them with a game of spot the differences. Start with things that are outrageously different and bizarre but still fit the prompt/requirements and then bring it in with feedback.

This is alright for like, the. The sixth round of feedback once mostly every single thing has been decided except the director just can't decide which shape front he likes better and wants to see the nit-pickiest stuff so he can finally decide.

Kochikens on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You should take a peak at Scott Robertson's entertainment design portfolio.

He has a good range of images from the early stages of the design process to final polished pieces.

ChicoBlue on
    edited June 2011
    Chico that link is amazing.

Kochi you would probably know about this. What kind of timeframe should I be looking at for getting each round of drafting done? Say I were to set up a curriculum where I'm trying to condition myself for actual work. How long should I expect myself to be working the thumbnail stage, the medium sketches, the final nitpick stage?

Fugitive on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I dont think its bad that each one has small differences separating the group of them. It also shows how just a few differences can make an object look completely new and different.

I would suggest making more little changes to the three of them however, since like Koch said, they do all look a little samey right now. For example that back compartment only looks different in one of the variants, as does the headlights, and the hangy thing on the wire could be different on all three.

earthwormadam on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Chico that link is amazing.

Kochi you would probably know about this. What kind of timeframe should I be looking at for getting each round of drafting done? Say I were to set up a curriculum where I'm trying to condition myself for actual work. How long should I expect myself to be working the thumbnail stage, the medium sketches, the final nitpick stage?

Depends what it is. For a main character you'd have longer than you would one scooter, unless it is a characters primary mode of transportation or something. If its just some vespa thats gonna be thrown around the city as a prop, then not a whole lot of time. You'd have like, an art references folder of, 'vehicles you should model your vehicles after' then you'd just draw a fucking shitton of vespas based off of those, but you'd already have a pretty good idea from previous workings what sort of thing they're looking for.

So for just a random assed vespa? A day. For a main characters primary sweet ass Vespa? A few.

edit: I don't really work in the conceptart department (I just like watching it) so it wouldn't be a bad idea to hunt down someone who is and ask them. Because it also depends on what sort of game what sort of timeline etc etc

Kochikens on
    edited June 2011
    Well here are some thumbs I worked on for this.

ScooterThumbs627.jpg

Trying to be more explicit about the concept of an all-terrain scooter used for mountainous terrain/caves/mines. Inspired more by mining and industrial equipment than all-terrain sport vehicles.

I'm also trying to work in some froggyness.

Fugitive on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Be careful about how low the body sits to the ground. There's a reason that vehicles meant for "all terrains" have thicker tires, and frames that sit higher up. Lots of these scooter designs look like they're better suited to smooth, even pavement than anything else.

NightDragon on
    edited June 2011
    ScooterThumbs628.jpg

Muh?

Fugitive on