As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] of Brass: The Artificial Men [Mini] - Game Over, Witch Victory!

I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boomRegistered User regular
edited January 2012 in Critical Failures
"Do y’think it’s true what they're saying then?"

Alexander glanced up from the Westspire cobblestones, looking back to his companion. "Pardon?"

"About the fake men they made up in Stanton. Clocks for organs and the dead sea's blessing."

Alexander glanced awkwardly away. William was a nice man, but he had a tendency to buy in to anything he heard. "What sort of dreadfuls you been readin' now, eh?" he asked lightheartedly. His portly companion shrugged.

"What if it's true though? Men with metal brains and iron blood, you can't tell 'em from a real soul, no grace-given morals."

"Well you've got metal in your skull and you aren't trying to kill me now are you?" Alexander chuckled. His companion blustered a little and stuffed his hands deeper into his pockets. As a shadow fell over the two of them Alexander looked up. The great ship H.R.A. Corrigan drifted above them, venting steam from seven stacks, on its way to the harbour. "You spend too much time in faff for the kiddies, Billy, you need to be thinking more about the important things in life." Alexander gestured up at the airship, covering his eyes as the sun caught the brass. "Men like us need to strive to increase our station, bring our families onto a royal ship like that one day. I mean just think of Marceline getting to look out over Westspire like that, like one of the grace's angels."

"I suppose," William admitted. "'s just spooky stuff. Who knows what them doctors are doing with that new Tesla power, y'know? I don’t trust them gearheads."

"Ah, it's not worth thinking about for good men like us," Alexander smiled. He pulled his coat closer around him though. He glanced at a man across the street, imagined him ticking, his face opening up and turning cogs beneath. Terrible business. "Now come on, there's not going to be any damn tea left if we're faffing about worrying about metal men," he said, smiling at his companion again. "Grace knows the scones are likely taken already, you know how ravenous Egbert gets." The mention of food put a drive in William's step, and nodding the two of them carried on.

Across the street the man stared at the Corrigan as it sailed past, then calmly continued walking. Each perfectly measured step was precisely a second apart.

Nation of Brass: The Artificial Men
A phalla dreadful for 25 players.

I say, what's all this then?
This is a mini phalla designed for 25 people. It is a moderately traditional village vs mafia game. It is set in a relatively generic steampunk analogue to London, and concerns a murder mystery that develops on the Corrigan, suitable for all your preferred penny dreadfuls.

And you are…?
I'm I needed a name to post. I advise you shorten that to INANTP for the sake of your fingers. I'll be your host for this game, and the entire purpose of this section right here is to publically make it clear that there is a very real chance that the balance of this game might wind up a bit buggered. I'm relatively new to phalla on this forum and while I’ve attempted to make sure this game will be fairly balanced, there's an equally good chance I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. There won’t be anything crazy like one side getting to launch rockets at all the others and kill everyone on day 4, but in my inexperience I've probably given one side a bit more power than they should have. If you're going to get wound up at that possibility you probably shouldn’t sign up.

That was a lot of words for ‘this might suck’.
Yeah I’m both shy and nervous so :V

Any mechanics we should know about?
There are no conversions, I’ll say that outright. There’s nothing crazy like a vig immune thrall. A number of players have secondary goals – these are things you can accomplish throughout the game which will grant you small bonuses – either a weak one-use power or a bit of information. There is no generic villager, either. Everyone is playing a particular character, even if that character doesn’t have any abilities. You may give out the roleplay fluff if you wish, but some characters may have goals revolving around other characters, so you have been warned.

And the rules?
All the standard phalla rules apply – no anonymous contact, no talking once you're dead, one ghost post but no in-game knowledge, PM proboards to the host and play nice. Pretty standard stuff that I hope everyone is used to by now.

Vote close is at 9 PM Pacific time. All actions must be PMed to the host by then. If you have an orders thread in the proboards and you don’t PM me actions I will take the most recent update in that thread as your actions for the day.

Activity requirements are one vote post and one non-vote post. Failure to do so on two individual days will result in your polite removal from the game. You will receive a warning after one inactivity day. If there are any reserves the position will then be filled.

Post signup in lime, ask clarifications in orange, and vote in red.

I hope you guys enjoy and I hope I’m not too terrible. :)

Player List
1. JaysonFour - Lyndon Pollock (Victory Impossible)
2. Lucedes - Kenneth Brillaugh (Day 7)
3. The Anonymous - Gorges von Kamanov (Day 4)
4. SLyM - Horace Frink (Day 1)
5. stever777 - The Wall (Day 5)
6. REG Rysk - The Distraction (Day 5)
7. moleface - Father Vincent Brisby (Day 6)
8. simonwolf - ??? (Day 2)
9. facetious - Barnes Noble (Day 3)
10. Langly - Annika von Kamanov (Victory!)
11. Peccavi - Alfred Silas (Day 6)
12. CaptainPlanet82 - Helena Tanner (Day 2)
13. Cythraul - Pierre Macdonald (Day 5)
14. Ringo - ??? (Day 3)
15. Jason Todd - Gaspar Colt (Day 4)
16. Farangu - Quince Johnson (Day 4)
17. Alegis - Charles Blackstone (Day 5)
18. Dunadan019 - Sigmund Lalonde (Day 1)
19. garroad_ran - The Choker (Day 3)
20. kuhlmeye - ??? (Day 2)
21. Virgil_Leads_You - Timothy Dellinger (Day 1)
22. Infidel - Montgomery Jameson (Day 4)
23. LemmingHead - Replaced with schuss
24. SeGaTai - Jacques Tanner (Day 7)
25. Rend - The Wall (Day 6)

Reserves:
1. Kime
2. schuss - ??? (Day 4)
3. jackisreal
4. Tmoiy

Clarifications:
In the event of a tied vote the first to reach the tie number will be dealt with.

Order of actions is as follows:

Guards & Guard-like abilities
Kills & Kill-like abilities
Seers & Seer-like abilities
Vote Kill
Secondary Objective Completion Check

Second place will be killed if it is impossible to vote-kill the first place winner, and so forth. Vote accordingly. If there is no second place no vote kill will occur that day.

Introduction
Hour 1
Hour 2
Hour 3
Hour 4
Hour 5
Hour 6
Hour 7
Cast of characters

liEt3nH.png
I needed anime to post. on

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I guess I'll sign up.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    !sign up for the robot party.

Lucedes on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There won’t be anything crazy like one side getting to launch rockets at all the others and kill everyone on day 4

Because launching homing rockets at your target would just be silly!

*reference to previous phalla which included homing rockets*

I will reserve. I can play if you have trouble with numbers.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    We are going to do dreadful things, aren't we

The Anonymous on
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yes yes yes a million times yes.

I want to see how this goes, see if there is any way I could ever run one of these.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    !sign up
    Will I be mafia again?
    As far as a name for you, how about Mega-Shark? A great-crappy SyFy movie!
    (or Ice Spider!)
    BTW, Kime is evil.

stever777 on
    Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I shall !signup for this, because learning is good.

REG Rysk on
  • molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    lime for shenanghans

moleface on
    battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i want to go to there

simonwolf on
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yes.

Yes.

YES.

Gonna RP the fuck out of this.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    !Sign up

Langly on
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't even care that RPing is what got me dogpiled so hard before.

Don't even care if it happens again.

I can't NOT RP something based in Victorian London.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    !Sign up

Peccavi on
  • stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Facetious. we probably won't kill u on Day 1.

stever777 on
    Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • CaptainPlanet82CaptainPlanet82 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'll sign up for this! But only if I can post using my new steam powered computer.

CaptainPlanet82 on
    Help my friend realize his excellent Cyber Punk savage setting! Check out the Ronin: Chrome and Shadows Kickstarter!
  • CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    signup!

Cythraul on
    Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    kime wrote: »
    There won’t be anything crazy like one side getting to launch rockets at all the others and kill everyone on day 4

Because launching homing rockets at your target would just be silly!

*reference to previous phalla which included homing rockets*

We could have legitimately killed the entire game with Homing Vlads and Suicide Drives in Cyberpunk, and that game was great!

I will expect nothing less

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    !phalla phalla phallaaaaa

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    First hosting experience after relatively few games, with no standard villager and secondary goals?

I will pre-emptively rate this at 2 Farangu's

Still signing up though.

Farangu on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    quick sign while I go read my summariesssss

wish me luck

Alegis on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm Back

Dunadan019 on
  • garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    woooooo Sign Up!

garroad_ran on
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'll give it a go I suppose.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Metal men? Bah, I doubt they exist.
    I'm more worried about the sailors than anything.
    I suppose someone has to keep a cool head out there, sign me up.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
    edited June 2011
    I will wear two monocles in this phalla

also, steam powered top hat

Langly on
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Keeps your head warm.
    5405278323_0141548fde.jpg

REG Rysk on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    !signing up

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • LemmingHeadLemmingHead Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh my! This seems to hold the promise of excitement. !sign up!

LemmingHead on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] hugs!
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Signup-always a fan of small incentives

SeGaTai on
    PSN SeGaTai
    edited June 2011
    Also, nice narration, really liked the ending.

Langly on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm relatively new to phalla on this forum and while I’ve attempted to make sure this game will be fairly balanced, there's an equally good chance I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

I hope I am in time

Rend on
    edited June 2011
    by my count you're the 25th Rend

Langly on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Langly wrote: »
    by my count you're the 25th Rend

I must have incorrectly calibrated my patented Automatonic Steampunk Identification And Alert Device. It never went off.

Rend on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

schuss on
  • jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    'ello Guvnah, could ye spare a good chap a !Sign up?

even a Reserve for this simple street urchin?

jackisreal on
  • TmoiyTmoiy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Reserve!

Tmoiy on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'll be finishing up the day 0 narration and then sending role PMs out, the first day will end at vote close tomorrow.

liEt3nH.png
    edited June 2011
    I would like my role and my hat please.

Langly on
  • CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I would like my robe and wizard hat please.

Cythraul on
    Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hour 0
    Our heroes encounter the enemy

The Duchess never left her quarters. Everyone knew that. Everyone hoped that each gathering would be different. There was nothing quite like the Duchess’ balls. Held on her grand steamship Corrigan. Invitations sent to philosophers, doctors, poets. The crowd was unlike all others. Most of the upper class didn’t know what to make of it – were you somebody if you were invited to the Duchess’ ball? Or was it a slight? Caught up in their social politicking they fettered and stressed about the matter, but for Winston O’Malley it was damn exciting just to be there. Pugilists like himself weren’t invited to balls, and the only times they showed up on grand ships were for publicity matches. Here he could mingle with others like him – those who did not taste the upper crust, who looked up at it with bruised eyes and wondered why not me?

He had excused himself from a discussion about the Djavol’s obsession with artifice to catch some air. There had been a glimpse of the city from above when they boarded the Corrigan but he wanted to really see it, to behold the city he loved from an angle he had never seen. Unfortunately the hallways of the ship were…confusing, to say the least. Once he had stumbled into a great engine room by mistake and nearly slipped off the railing! Winston just did not understand the thought process behind the ship – why couldn’t they have made it a nice, sensible, logical place? Or put some signs up?

It was during such an introspective bemoaning that he became aware of conversation nearby. This in itself was not surprising at a social event, but he believed himself to be a good ways from the main crowd. His curiosity forced him to listen as he got closer, and once he did he realized the gravity of what he was hearing.

“She’s locked up tight. Unless we have the key that door isn’t opening.”

“I suppose that is to be expected given her history. Could we blow it open?”

“Not without attracting attention. More than we want, even with the guards dead. Lot of people on this boat, lot of places to find guns if they try hard.”

“Hmm. Well I told him to seal up the armoury too. We’ll take the ship out to sky when he’s back. If we can’t get access to the Duchess without attracting attention, we’ll just have to make sure the attention we get is minor at best.”

“You’re terribly violent.”

“It’s in my making.”

By grace, Winston realized, these curs were going to kill the passengers! He had to do something! Turning, he made to set off back down the passageway, and warn the others, but stopped. An unblinking man stood down the hallway watching him. They regarded one another for a few moments, and then the man calmly removed his cap, setting his jacket on the railing beside him.

A part of Winston smiled as he removed his own coat. This man had no idea who he was dealing with.

In the ballroom, a brief lurch put conversation to a halt. Almost collectively the assembled crowd looked up and around, before the murmurs began. Was that the ship? Were they undocking? Jacques Tanner was particularly confused. In the employment of the Duchess he knew very well what the itinerary for the evening was, and sailing was not a part of it. Perhaps one of his coworkers knew what was going on.

Yet as he made his way up the stairs at the end of the ballroom the doors swung open. Winston O’Malley was flung into the room, bruised and beaten. His attacker followed, bronze hands glinting in the chandelier light. Desperately Winston turned to the nearest man. “They mean to kill the Duchess!” he gasped out. Almost reflexively Jacques drew his flintlock, the shot landing between the attacker’s eyes. He stumbled forward, lifting his hand slowly.

“Is this mortality, then?” he said quietly, before tripping over O’Malley’s weakened body. Jacques turned out of the way as the attacker fell onto the stairs, tumbling down steps before sliding to a stop halfway down. His head sat at an odd angle, neck seemingly snapped in twain. A loud ticking noise filled the room.

“Grace, man,” Jacques said, kneeling before Winston. The pugilist was bleeding profusely, arms broken. “We need to get you aid.”

“No!” Winston gasped, “There are more! They’ve taken us to sky, killed the guards, there’s no time! You have to find them, stop them! They are coming for all of you!”

Jacques bit his lip, glancing back down at the stairwell. A crowd was forming at the base of the steps, and a few souls had stepped forward to look at the attacker. “Great skies!” someone exclaimed as they looked at him, “He’s…gears and cogs!”

“May you be embraced by the stars,” Jacques said politely to Winston as the boxer closed his eyes. Turning back down to the crowd he took charge. “Get the women somewhere safe. We’ve got more of these freaks out there and we need to take action. Be brave, men. It’s time to fight monsters.”

Winston O’Malley (Expert Pugilist)Out-punched
    The Visionary (Seer)
    Shot in the face

Hour 1 has begun. As a reminder: vote close is at 9 PM Pacific time. First vote close is tomorrow. Proboards must be PMed to host.

Role PMs are now going out.

Clarification:

Both Hour 0 casualties are ineligible targets for all powers. They are poor NPCs, not players. Let them rest in peace.

liEt3nH.png