As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mr. Wizard dies, results from the afterlife forthcoming

deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that.Traffic.Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
story.jpg

Mr Wizard died. Here's the CNN obit.

He filled me with warm, fuzzy feelings of science in my youth. An interest n the natural world. I wonder if anyone else would like to share their childhood memories.

[SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
deowolf on

• Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Aw, man.

:(

I loved that show, and that guy.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • SpecialMiekSpecialMiek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mr. Wizard made me more interested in learning about science than eight years of public school teachers and a year's worth of college science courses...good night sweet prince :(

SpecialMiek on
  • 2and2is52and2is5 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I have fond memories of watching that show early in the mornings on weekends when I had soccer games.

2and2is5 on
  • AWinnerIsYouAWinnerIsYou Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This is really sad news, I agree with SpecialMiek. I think his show did more for children's interest in science than most schools, or much else for that matter.

I remember watching this early in the morning before school. I always wished I could get my hands on some dry ice, or that computer trivia game they would play, haha.

AWinnerIsYou on
    "It's like a pterodactyl from a gay Jurassic Park."
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Between him, Fred Rogers, and Jim Henson, my childhood is officially over. I am now an adult.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Agreed, between the show, and some book full of Mr Wizard experiments to try at home I got as a kid, I found more interest in science than anything in school ever brought me.

Vincent Grayson on
  • LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, where has he been all these years?

LondonBridge on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Though on hindsight the idea of an older gentleman inviting youngsters to his home for...special experiments...is a little creepy, Mr. Wizard was awesome. Youngsters today have Bill Nye and Mythbusters and Planet Earth and that Alton Brown guy on the Food Network, all of which do fine work in bringing science to the masses, but Mr. Wizard was the best.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, his name was Don Herbert. My friends and I took some sort of geekish pleasure in knowing that and referring to him as such instead of the plebian "Mr. Wizard."

Yar on
    edited June 2007
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Though on hindsight the idea of an older gentleman inviting youngsters to his home for...special experiments...is a little creepy, Mr. Wizard was awesome. Youngsters today have Bill Nye and Mythbusters and Planet Earth and that Alton Brown guy on the Food Network, all of which do fine work in bringing science to the masses, but Mr. Wizard was the best.

Bill Nye is still around? I assumed he vanished ages ago.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    They show Nye in science classrooms.

Gorilla Salad on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, where has he been all these years?

Haven't you heard? Science and reasoning are dead. It's all about t3h jesus now.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited June 2007
    My favorite episode was on displacement, and he was making this kid get in a barrel of water. The kid obviously didn't want to do it. He was screaming about how cold the water was and Don was like, "Get in the fucking barrel, brat!" and then they had to cut and come back because the kid refused to go under.

Yar on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    In honor of all the early morning science:
    TOP TEN MR. WIZARD EXPERIMENTS

10. Let's flush a canned ham down the toilet
    9. Will your head fit here?
    8. What happens when you lick a wasp's nest?
    7. Getting free HBO
    6. How many beers before you make a pass at Bea Arthur?
    5. How much Crisco can you eat?
    4. Substituting Folgers Crystals for freshly brewed coffee
    3. Dressing like *Mrs.* Wizard
    2. Big pockets for super shoplifting
    1. Those two flight attendants in Dallas

werehippy on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dunno exactly what to say?

Thanks, Mr. Wizard, for bringing some light into our lives and making science fun.

Tach on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My favorite episode was the one where he explained to this kid how you could take a sheet of paper and cut it into a circle that was six feet in diameter or some shit. I thought to myself at the time (age 11 or so) it couldn't be done and I was confident in that assumption. Naturally he proved my ass wrong in thirty seconds, but the show made me think about things. It was a good show, and if they had gotten a bigger budget I bet some crazy cool shit could've come out of it.

rip Mr. Herbert

Shogun on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Is it bad form if I state that I thought he was already dead years ago?

Seriously. I thought he died at least a decade ago.

Squashua on
    edited June 2007
    Yar wrote: »
    My favorite episode was on displacement, and he was making this kid get in a barrel of water. The kid obviously didn't want to do it. He was screaming about how cold the water was and Don was like, "Get in the fucking barrel, brat!" and then they had to cut and come back because the kid refused to go under.

Haha, I remember that one.

I loved the one where he turned into a skeleton and scared the shit out of the kid, before showing him how to do it.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited June 2007
    Yeah Don Herbert was sort of sadistic, in a relatively harmless way. It was awesome.

Yar on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yar wrote: »
    Yeah Don Herbert was sort of sadistic, in a relatively harmless way. It was awesome.

Remember that bit from 'Dinosaurs'?

"You light that fuse, Timmy, while I step behind this lead shield..."

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • AWinnerIsYouAWinnerIsYou Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Man, I haven't seen Bill Nye in years. But in related news, I'm pretty sure Beakman's World is still on network television.

I remember the Mr. Wizard where he dipped the metal container in dry ice after heating it.. something like that.. and it collapsed to a lot of wow reactions. Also when he would wrap huge fricking soap bubbles around kids.

AWinnerIsYou on
    "It's like a pterodactyl from a gay Jurassic Park."
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I am too young to remember this man and it is sad that I only learn about the great things he has done after he is already gone.
    To his life.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Evan WatersEvan Waters Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Man, I haven't seen Bill Nye in years. But in related news, I'm pretty sure Beakman's World is still on network television.

Yep, I think it's at least still syndicated. Don't know if they're still making it.

Evan Waters on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't remember too much about Mr. Wizard -- I only got to see him on Nickolodeon while I was very young.

Still, the death of any populizer of science is a great loss; there are too few of them as it is.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Yep, I think it's at least still syndicated. Don't know if they're still making it.

No, the show got canceled back in 2003-2004. After that Nye taught at Cornell for a couple years, I'm not sure what he's doing now.

werehippy on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I am too young to remember this man and it is sad that I only learn about the great things he has done after he is already gone.
    To his life.

There are DVDs of both his original black and white show, and the more recent one from 1980's Nickelodeon.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X