As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Running and clogged sinuses

RhinoRhino TheRhinLOLRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm trying to get back into running. This morning my sinus/nose was really clogged. I couldn't even breath though my left one (when I held my right one shut). I tried some saline mist and also ate some hot peppers. Didn't really help much.

I'm not allergic to anything. Just gets clogged up when I sleep.

When this happens I'll start breathing though my mouth which really tears up my throat. What do professional runners do ?

93mb4.jpg
Rhino on

• Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sounds like allergies dawg. I get the same thing. Try some allegra. Can almost guarantee you it'll work

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    use the saline spray twice a day and spray each nostril two consecutive times.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ephedrine - but you need a doctor's prescription.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've been using a neti pot every day for years. No allergies, clogged sinuses, bad colds, sinus infections, etc.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jefe414 wrote: »
    I've been using a neti pot every day for years. No allergies, clogged sinuses, bad colds, sinus infections, etc.

I hate to out myself as someone who sticks a teapot up my nose to irrigate it, but I'd try this too. I've suffered from clogged sinuses on the right side of my face for years, and couldn't believe the difference this made.

If it doesn't work, then I'd try antihistamines.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ego wrote: »

I hate to out myself as someone who sticks a teapot up my nose to irrigate it, but I'd try this too. I've suffered from clogged sinuses on the right side of my face for years, and couldn't believe the difference this made.

I've actually been wanting to try this for a while but am horrified of it as a concept.

with all the support it's been getting from people I know I may have to try this out

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is pretty common for most runners as far as I know. A lot of us have just resorted to hawking a loggy out through the nose. It's not super elegant, but it works.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Make sure you use non-iodized salt that is VERY finely crushed. Also, tilt your head enough so it flushes out. Takes a few tries to get it right but it's worth it.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ego wrote: »

I've actually been wanting to try this for a while but am horrified of it as a concept.

with all the support it's been getting from people I know I may have to try this out

Yeah, the idea of it seems kinda crazy on the outside, though when you get down to it you're just putting a solution in your nose that helps dislodge and soften mucous. Really, it reminds me of swimming in the ocean. It doesn't hurt at all to do it, or even really feel awkward (aside from if you think about how you look while you're doing it.)

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    OK, I've had sinus annoyance all my life. What is this neti pot thing?

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    spool32 wrote: »
    OK, I've had sinus annoyance all my life. What is this neti pot thing?

Basically, you take a teapot (you can buy squeezable pots designed specifically for this use, though I just use an old teapot) and fill it with warm water, and add salt. You should probably look up the exact measurements, I'm used to sort of winging it when I mix it up.

Then you lean over a sink (doing it in the tub might be a good idea the first time), stick the spout of the teapot in your nose, and tilt it upwards so the water goes into your sinuses. You can either let it drain out through the back of your mouth or remove the spout and let it out of your nose. Some will be going in your mouth either way.

It sounds kind of silly, but (unlike when you snort up chlorinated water at a pool) it doesn't hurt at all, and it does a surprisingly good job of clearing out the sinuses --even stuff that doesn't flush out comes out a lot more easily when you blow your nose, once you've done it. I don't do it every day, but I do it regularly enough that my right-sinuses are open.

edit: there we go

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wait, you tilt your head up? I tilt mine forward and to the side and let the saline solution from the Neti pot drain out the other nostril.

tip: When you blow your nose afterwards, do it crazy gently. Too much pressure will basically make it feel like you have water in your ears, but it'll hurt more.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I tend to pour some plain ole water into my hands and snort it up my nose, before I go running in the morning.
    I breath inwards and lean my head back for 15 or 20 seconds to keep the water up there, before I finally just blow my nose in some tissue paper.
    Kinda gross, but it cleans my sinuses pretty well. I can understand the folks talking about using salt water, but I've never tried that myself.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Wft, that sounds like you could drown yourself!

I gotta try this.

spool32 on
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    To hell with the neti pot

Take it to the next level

http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse.php

Had one of these in my kitchen cabinets since it came out.

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote: »
    Wait, you tilt your head up? I tilt mine forward and to the side and let the saline solution from the Neti pot drain out the other nostril.

Nah, I meant I tilt the teapot up ;).

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    and we never heard from Spool32 again. :|

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wouldn't recommend putting plain old salt into a teapot. There are impurities in kitchen salt that you don't necessarily want in your sinuses. Using the proper solution also prevents stinging/irritation because it very closely matches the PH balance.

Also, tilt your head forward and to the side. The water should be coming out the other nostril. If it's going into your mouth, you're tilting your head back.

You can get a proper neti pot for like $20, including 50 or so packets of the powder. There really is no reason to go cheap and start using regular salt, here. $0.40 per rinse is pretty damn cheap, anyway.

Edit: Couple more points

- If it wasn't clear from any of the above, do this for both nostrils, tilting your head to the opposite side. (ie: Stick up left nostril, tilt head to the right).
    - After each nostril, stand up straight and sniff in gently. Solution will go into your throat. Spit it out. This helps clear out the back of your sinuses.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rhino wrote: »
    I'm trying to get back into running. This morning my sinus/nose was really clogged. I couldn't even breath though my left one (when I held my right one shut). I tried some saline mist and also ate some hot peppers. Didn't really help much.

When this happens I'll start breathing though my mouth which really tears up my throat. What do professional runners do ?
    Breath through your mouth, your throat will get used to it after a few days.

I can't imagine breathing through my nose when running, the amount of air you need cannot be had through those tiny little holes!

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    and we never heard from Spool32 again. :|

I'm still alive!

Also, I have not tried this yet. But I'm definitely going to...

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    BEAST! wrote: »

I can't imagine breathing through my nose when running, the amount of air you need cannot be had through those tiny little holes!

you're supposed to breath in through your nose and out through your mouth aren't you?

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

you're supposed to breath in through your nose and out through your mouth aren't you?

I can understand using both but there's no way just breathing in through your nose would deliver enough oxygen.....when your body is fighting for oxygen it's your gaping mouth that it's trying to pull air through. I just can't imagine running at a pace where breathing in through my nose would suffice.

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I can understand using both but there's no way just breathing in through your nose would deliver enough oxygen.....when your body is fighting for oxygen it's your gaping mouth that it's trying to pull air through. I just can't imagine running at a pace where breathing in through my nose would suffice.

It's how I've always been taught to run. Even when we ran drills and sprints in football and wrestling it was in through the nose and out through the mouth. Most people seem to follow this pattern, although as on magazine puts it "The same with whether you breathe through your nose or your mouth. Most runners naturally breathe through both. Famed New Zealand coach Arthur Lydiard, when asked how runners should breathe, once replied: "Breathe through your mouth. Breathe through your nose. Suck the air in through your ears, if you can.""