As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Space Alert owns. Like, a lot.

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    admanb wrote: »
    Timmy wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    Timmy wrote: »
    hamdingers wrote: »
    Picked up Alan R Moon's Airlines: Europe on a whim.

Wow. Thats some good stuff there.

I didn't really get a good idea what it was like from the review though

It's an Alan Moon game, wait, wait, I'm getting something through. . .

I see a undirected graph. . . The edges have some kind of cost associated with them. . . The princile mechanics involves expending tokens that you collect to move things along those edges between nodes or to permanently claim them. . . High degree of abstraction. . .

As they say, once you've seen one Alan Moon graph traversal game you've seen them all. And I love Ticket To Ride and Elfenlands.

Did I just stumble back into a college CS course?

Never have algorithms for calculating minimum weight spanning trees been more useful than when approaching a new Alan Moon game.

I won't lie, you've left me behind a little bit. Let's go back and explain things a little slower, starting with basic arithmetic. I've always had trouble with that part.

1+1=2

Given a set and two binary operations (plus and times) that satisfy associativity and commutativity, and therefore have an additive identity element and a multiplicative identity element, and given distribution and 1 != 0, and given the existence of inverses for both operations, then define 2=the multiplicative identity plus the multiplicative identity!

That's where you start for arithmetic!

Lykouragh on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So, I'm going to a convention next weekend and I imagine at times there is going to be a good amount of sitting around in lines. Any recommendations for a portable game (board, card, or otherwise) that can be transported easily (either tossed into a small back pack or in a pocket) and can be picked up and moved from time to time easily would be greatly appreciated.

Noise factor isn't really an issue. Things that are coming to mind for me are games like Aye Dark Overlord.

And I'm sure the battery on my iPhone is going to get torn through by people wanting to play Neuroshima Hex.
    Going to Origins ? DEATH ANGEL is pretty small and portable.

Fairchild on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    FFG's Silver Line is basically portable awesome.

Death Angel eats up a lot of space for a card game, however. Not fun to pick up when the line moves. I highly recommend Citadels!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • GaebrilGaebril Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Portable games automatically get me thinking of cardgames:

Bohnanza
    Castle of the Devil
    Resistance
    Race for the Galaxy (use tokens for goods so you can bunch up your cards)

Most LCGs and CCGs would work fine too.

Gaebril on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    FFG's Silver Line is basically portable awesome.

Death Angel eats up a lot of space for a card game, however. Not fun to pick up when the line moves. I highly recommend Citadels!

Citadels. Are you the Traitor? Wings of War.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Puzzle Fighter sounds pretty rad, I'll definitely look into that.

Really not a fan of Ascensions though, just not my cup o' tea.

Inquisitor on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So, I'm going to a convention next weekend and I imagine at times there is going to be a good amount of sitting around in lines. Any recommendations for a portable game (board, card, or otherwise) that can be transported easily (either tossed into a small back pack or in a pocket) and can be picked up and moved from time to time easily would be greatly appreciated.

Noise factor isn't really an issue. Things that are coming to mind for me are games like Aye Dark Overlord.

And I'm sure the battery on my iPhone is going to get torn through by people wanting to play Neuroshima Hex.
    Going to Origins ? DEATH ANGEL is pretty small and portable.

Going to anime expo.

Are you the traitor sounds perfect! I forgot about that game, sounds about the right mix of speed, portability and fun for a "stuck in line" game.

Edit: Resistance is a great game too, but it might be a little too...intense for a line.

Inquisitor on
  • TimmyTimmy Rank: Major Floating in my tin can.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm thinking you're probably right about Resistance being a little too intense for a line. I know I get a little bit worked up over that game but that's mostly because I'm a terrible liar.

I would definitely agree with Darkewolfe about Citadels. I basically never leave home without it. I'd also suggest Bananagrams! There are rules for a shorter version of the game that plays in like three minutes which is good for a line that is moving a little bit faster. And it comes in a banana. I was surprised the other day when I saw a crate (literally a crate) full of Bananagrams at a Target store.

Timmy on
  • sartorisartori WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thanks a lot you guys, I went out and bought Space Alert because of you (and that youtube review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5fHzYtuHBA

Can't wait to get my friends together and try it out.

sartori on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    sartori wrote: »
    Thanks a lot you guys, I went out and bought Space Alert because of you (and that youtube review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5fHzYtuHBA

...God damnit.

Fairly certain my FLGS has a copy, now I want to snag it. :o

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    PMAvers wrote: »
    sartori wrote: »

...God damnit.

Fairly certain my FLGS has a copy, now I want to snag it. :o

yes. you should do this. do this thing.

and I forgot about that video review, but it owns. added to OP.

scrivenerjones on
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Now my entire group wants that game.

I think my wife with AP would just constantly kill us though.

Lykouragh on
    edited June 2011
    AP is really not an issue at all. remember you only do twelve actions every game. and you're only moving up/down/left/right or pushing A/B/C. really the big issue with Space Alert is people who melt down when they get yelled at--there isn't enough time or enough choices during the game to have AP problems.

scrivenerjones on
    edited June 2011
    anyone from portland who reads this thread should PM me for exciting news!!!

scrivenerjones on
  • Dr Gene Dango MDDr Gene Dango MD Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    Anyone play with necromancer Island? I just won an ebay listing getting ready for Underworld and was wondering if it's actually you know...good.

I still can't get over how the Be Not afraid...expansions big thing was a carrying case to include every expansion up to that point, even the BGG leader one...and it didn't include space for the expansion that was included with it!

Dr Gene Dango MD on
    edited June 2011
    anyone from portland who reads this thread should PM me for exciting news!!!

actually just gonna post this in thread: my new favorite FLGS, Cloud Cap Games, is having a :!:Space Alert Night:!: this friday at 6:30. so if you live within shouting distance, come out and play this sweet ass game!!

scrivenerjones on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yesterday was just a ridiculous amount of gaming:

Taluva (twice, I won both times).

Shadows over Camelot (King Arthur turned out to be a traitor and we never really suspected! Albion fell howling.)

Space Alert (twice, on the training or beginner or whatever difficulty. We won both times, and I really liked it. My friends love co-ops so perhaps it's less chaotic for us than most).

Puerto Rico (one of those games I like intellectually but don't really have fun during).

The Island of Doctor Necreaux (We started far too late at night, thinking we would just die soon, and realised that with four players, rather than the usual two, it's a different Kettle Of Atomic Piranha Fish. We won after an insanely fast hour of running along at speeds like 15.)

Now I'm all spent and tired. Didn't stop me from ordering Survive: Escape from Atlantis though.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
    edited June 2011
    AP is really not an issue at all. remember you only do twelve actions every game. and you're only moving up/down/left/right or pushing A/B/C. really the big issue with Space Alert is people who melt down when they get yelled at--there isn't enough time or enough choices during the game to have AP problems.
    You underestimate AP. We have one guy who is becoming Mr. AP of the group, and will slow games to a crawl.

Which is why I'm getting this eventually. I want to punish him.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Our boardgame group (30 or so) met up today. I got in a game of Ticket to Ride: Europe (and won!) and then played a few games of Resistance which was a lot of fun. I'm glad I picked up that game. I ended up finishing with a game of Munchkin Zombies, which was naturally chaos by the end (all 6 of us playing were at level 9).

After watching that review, I really need to get Space Alert for next time.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sorry if this has popped up in the thread and I'm bringing it back up...

But has Battlestar Galactica been put on Out of Print status? Amazon doesn't have it for sale by them or the normal third parties anymore and all the marketplace sellers have it for much money.

And so this ties into my other question: would I need the original for the expansions, or am I safe just having the latest expansion? I'm rather new to the board game world, I don't know how often there are "expandalones."

Medium Dave on
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You need the original to play the expansions.
    And it does seem like it is Out of Stock on FFG's site too.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

edited June 2011
    Both expansions require the base game.

Some expansion ARE standalone, but this tends to be rare and generally for card games where you don't need a lot of expensive base components.

BSG will undoubtedly see another printing. FFG loves money.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Our first game of Space Alert taught us that it is hilarious.

We played a two and a half missions with the misunderstanding that each of the six locations had it's own energy reactor that needed to be juiced. "This is impossible! We don't have enough B!"

I have sworn a silent oath to play nothing but sabotage actions in our next game, then calmly turn them face up and watch the horror unfold.

At the end, I'll claim Cylon Victory.

fadingathedges on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sorry if this has popped up in the thread and I'm bringing it back up...

But has Battlestar Galactica been put on Out of Print status? Amazon doesn't have it for sale by them or the normal third parties anymore and all the marketplace sellers have it for much money.

And so this ties into my other question: would I need the original for the expansions, or am I safe just having the latest expansion? I'm rather new to the board game world, I don't know how often there are "expandalones."

FFG says that an "updated" version is "on the ship", so it should be back in stock soon (estimation on the page seems to be within 4-6 weeks). And yes, you need the base game before you can make use of any expansions.

Darian on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Anyone play with necromancer Island? I just won an ebay listing getting ready for Underworld and was wondering if it's actually you know...good.

I still can't get over how the Be Not afraid...expansions big thing was a carrying case to include every expansion up to that point, even the BGG leader one...and it didn't include space for the expansion that was included with it!

Well to be fair it fits everything from Necromancer Island except the island itself, which fits in the main box fine.

DarkPrimus on
    edited June 2011
    You can easily play Necromancer Island without, well, Necromancer Island.

Just use pennies for the ghosts and bam, you are done. Don't need the big island token for the lake.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The ghosts fit into the expansion box, is the thing.

DarkPrimus on
    edited June 2011
    I note that there's an expansion for Space Alert, but it only seems to add additional missions, presumably of higher difficulty.

Has anyone played with that and can confirm?

El Fantastico on

• TimmyTimmy Rank: Major Floating in my tin can.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I haven't had too much trouble with carting around Necromancer Island, as DarkPrimus says, the ghosts fit into the Be Not Afraid box just fine. I stuck the island in the main box.

As far as actually playing Necromancer Island goes, it really changes the dynamics of the game. The Necromancer kind of forces people to make treaties with one another every now and then. You agree with another player(s) to take down some ghosts together to keep the game from ending early in a Necromancer victory. And of course your agreement is only in word and not deed because you wanted the opportunity to get more victory points while your temporary ally does the hard work of squashing the Necromancer back down. And of course your temporary ally was planning the same thing and then the Necromancer wins anyway.

I certainly like it enough to justify the $0 I spent on it but I only occasionally use it. I do use it a little more often than Tales and Legends.

Timmy on
    edited June 2011
    I note that there's an expansion for Space Alert, but it only seems to add additional missions, presumably of higher difficulty.

Has anyone played with that and can confirm?

Space Alert: The New Frontier adds new threats, some of which are harder, some of which (the red threats) are much much harder. to balance it out there are a new set of actions that let you do two things at once. there's also a system of classes and XP leveling for characters that eventually lets you get better at individual roles. I haven't played with it yet but it looks Cool as Heck.

scrivenerjones on
    edited June 2011
    Is the Mission CD for Space Alert absolutely a requirement to play the game as well? I know there's a few links out there of someone having converted the mission tracks to MP3 for portability, but could you play the same crazy hectic game without the CD, or would it just not provide the same experience?

El Fantastico on

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The missions from the CD are also printed on cards that come with the game. You just need someone with a watch or other timer of some kind who isn't playing to read them off. I haven't tried it, but I'm not sure I'd miss the computerized voice. I think it'd actually be cooler if a human were screaming "SERIOUS EXTERNAL THREAT IN THE WHITE ZONE! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" or something.

blahmcblah on
    edited June 2011
    That's what I was hoping to hear. Eeexcellent...

El Fantastico on

edited June 2011
    As long as you can find someone to be the timekeeper (and not play), sure, go nuts. Or use the flash thing in the OP.

scrivenerjones on
    edited June 2011
    I'm trying to decide which largeish, horror themed game to get. I've not played any of them, but they all sound pretty cool.

Arkham Horror; Last Night On Earth; Mansions of Madness; Betrayal At House on the Hill; A Touch of Evil

The people I play with are down with dice and stats and whatnot, we play D&D every so often. I don't have really any preferences, just whatever would give the best bang for my buck. I'm really leaning to Mansions of Madness right now, it looks quite nice.

I'd love any advice you crazy board game nuts have.

Medium Dave on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Arkham Horror takes longer to play (at least 2.5 hours, sometimes up to 4) and is pure co-op; players are a team of investigators trying to prevent a Lovecraftian horror from breaking through to our plane. A Touch of Evil is similar in style, but a bit shorter to play. I didn't enjoy AToE anywhere near as much as AH, though, and would recommend AH of the two.

Last Night on Earth is a b-movie zombie flick, in board game form. Two teams (about twice as many players on the Human side as the Zombie side) taking turns, with various scenarios to play through. Fairly light game, good fun though.

Betrayal at House on the Hill is an exploration game that plays out as co-op with a revealed traitor part of the way through; again, lots of different scenarios to try.

I don't have any personal experience with Mansions.

Darian on
    edited June 2011
    I am also getting BSG around the same time, hopefully, so I think I might knock Betrayal out, what with the Cylons and all.

Oh, and if there are any other horror themed ones I'm missing that kick ass, please, let me know.

Medium Dave on
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Darian wrote: »
    Arkham Horror takes longer to play (at least 2.5 hours, sometimes up to 4) and is pure co-op; players are a team of investigators trying to prevent a Lovecraftian horror from breaking through to our plane. A Touch of Evil is similar in style, but a bit shorter to play. I didn't enjoy AToE anywhere near as much as AH, though, and would recommend AH of the two.

Last Night on Earth is a b-movie zombie flick, in board game form. Two teams (about twice as many players on the Human side as the Zombie side) taking turns, with various scenarios to play through. Fairly light game, good fun though.

Betrayal at House on the Hill is an exploration game that plays out as co-op with a revealed traitor part of the way through; again, lots of different scenarios to try.

I don't have any personal experience with Mansions.

I would semi-counter the Arkham Horror/Touch of Evil comparison. AToE is much shorter (maybe 1.5-2 hours max) and much simpler than Arkham. My wife likes it better because long complicated games are not interesting to her. AToE also has a less "horror" theme than Arkham. Its themed very close to the Johnny Depp "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" movie - a hint of comedy/camp with a more recgonizable (mainstream) horror aspect. You are in an early 19th centry American town fighting more archetypal evils like a vampire, werewolf, headless horeseman or swamp thing rather than unspeakable horrors from another dimension.

I have both and the decision to play one or the other is the people I am playing with. Arkham horror for more hardcore gamers who are ok with a 3-4 hour game and AToE for the casual groups (or my wife). Because of the people I know I rarely get to play Arkham so I feel (for me) A Touch of Evil was the better purchase.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The ghosts fit into the expansion box, is the thing.

Oh, great! Now all I have to do is find a place for the Tales and Legends cards.

Does anyone have an opinion on Necromancer Island?

Gene Parmesan on
    edited June 2011
    It's a promo item, so it'll be somewhat pricey.

As I said before, it is incredibly easy to play Necromancer Island without, well, Necromancer Island. Just use pennies or glass beads to represent ghosts.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.