As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Shadow of the Colossus

Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of MagicArcanusRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
This is Shadow:
9738shadowthehedgehogwi.jpg

This is Colossus:
konamixmencolossus.jpg

This is Shadow of the Colossus:
boxart.png

My friend Felix picked up a free Gamefly trial and grabbed Shadow of the Colossus since neither of us had managed to play it ever, and I said, "We should totally LP this, it will be hilarious." So we are. Enjoy, or not, whatever. I'd post some information about the game here but chances are you all know more about it than we do anyways, and I'm trying not to spoil it for us by going to wikipedia and looking stuff up. This is definitely a shoestring operation, so if you've got comments feel free to post them, no promises we'll do anything about it though.

So without further ado, here are some videos:

Terrible Intro Cinematic

1st Colossus
In which our heroes try to figure out the controls and get stepped on for their trouble.

2nd Colossus
In which Felix forces me to do some rudimentary video editing, that jerk.

3rd Colossus
In which there is rather a lot of swimming.

4th Colossus
In which our heroes very nearly get buried alive.

5th Colossus
Wherein we face our most difficult foe yet, gravity.

6th Colossus
In which we discuss beard physics at length.

Kane Red Robe on

• MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My cat peed on my PS2...

Morvidus on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Excellent. Not having owned a playstation since the first generation, I missed out on this game.

I'm looking forward to seeing it in action.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Miso RoneryMiso Ronery Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've really enjoyed your other LP's, and am a huge fan of Shadow of the Colossus!

These two things may taste great together!

Have to check it out whenever I'm not in BFE, and can stream video again.

Miso Ronery on
    steam_sig.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm glad a PA'er is finally doing this.

I'm even more glad it's Kayne!

joshofalltrades on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This will be fun to watch if you've not played this before.

The camera is called normal because that is normal you cur!

Kelor on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is easily one of my favorite games of all time -- up there with Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star 4, Shining Force I and II, Shadowrun for the Sega, etc. It's just so ambitious and beautiful. Thanks for putting this up, man.

milk ducks on
  • mr weenismr weenis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ah! I really want to watch this, but I also really want to wait and experience this game for the first time in the Ico/SOTC collection...

mr weenis on
    Nickle wrote: »
    972 dicks is a lot of dicks. :(
  • teg5511teg5511 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Neat! I never owned a PS2 so I've had to live vicariously through other people to enjoy this game, but enjoy it I do. Holy crap though is it constantly depressing.

(Also wooo first post, after lurking for a bit. This forum is large and intimidating!)

teg5511 on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Woe unto my aged first-run PS2 that won't play anymore, and my PS3 that refuses to play any PS2 games.

I'd loooove to give this a go again.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dammit, this is going to make me drag out my PS2 and clock a 5th playthrough of SotC.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • obolon84obolon84 Good news, everyone! I just blue myself.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The lizard you shot drops a tail that you need to pick up to upgrade. Also, if you see any apples in trees, shoot them down and pick them up. These will make fighting the colossi much easier.

obolon84 on
    bJnuewi.jpg
    edited June 2011
    mr weenis wrote: »
    Ah! I really want to watch this, but I also really want to wait and experience this game for the first time in the Ico/SOTC collection...

As much as I love this game I really have to recommend you go into it the first time not knowing anything about the colossi or where they are.

The exploration of the world is one of my favourite parts of the game, before the camera pans away to this giant stone creature traversing the landscape.

Kelor on
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This game is superb. It really benefits from being made in the last days of the PS2. The visuals are amazing.

I would also recommend waiting to play it through before watching a LP.

Good LP so far, greatly enjoying. It's fun to see people try to solve all the different colossi.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    obolon84 wrote: »
    The lizard you shot drops a tail that you need to pick up to upgrade. Also, if you see any apples in trees, shoot them down and pick them up. These will make fighting the colossi much easier.

I actually picked this game up the day it came out, and played through it in 2 days. In doing that, I was completely unaware of the lizards and apples until much, much later. Played through the entire game without any upgrades whatsoever. In fact, I actually remember being impressed that a developer released a game where there were (seemingly) no upgrades throughout the game. You were just as strong at the beginning of the game as you were at the end.

Dourin on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Two things about controlling your horse, that is never explained:

- You don't need to press forward on the stick.
    - You can keep the X button pressed after getting to top speed, so it doesn't slow down.

Satsumomo on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Two things about controlling your horse, that is never explained:

- You don't need to press forward on the stick.
    - You can keep the X button pressed after getting to top speed, so it doesn't slow down.

Also, the horse likes to steer it self. Just point it in the general direction you want and it should be fine from there.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You can also stand on the horse's back. This game has tons of undocumented stuff.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Some of the undocumented things makes killing some bosses an ease.
    Jump stabbing is exhilarating on some bosses.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dourin wrote: »
    obolon84 wrote: »

I actually picked this game up the day it came out, and played through it in 2 days. In doing that, I was completely unaware of the lizards and apples until much, much later. Played through the entire game without any upgrades whatsoever. In fact, I actually remember being impressed that a developer released a game where there were (seemingly) no upgrades throughout the game. You were just as strong at the beginning of the game as you were at the end.

Actually, even if you don't pick up anything, your dude grows in stamina and durability over time. The growth is almost imperceptible, but by the end, your character will be significantly more powerful.

BloodySloth on
  • EliteBattlemanEliteBattleman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is pretty amazing.

Some of the comments have me just smiling, because it's your first time and you don't yet know what's coming.

EliteBattleman on
    This is my sig.
    There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
    edited June 2011
    The thing that has stuck with me the most after playing this, what, six years after the game came out? Is the music. I can hear the music and immediately remember the feeling of clinging onto fur or a ridge of rock while being thrown about by a particular colossus.

This is easily my favourite track though.

Followed by this one.

Kelor on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh, neat.

The greatest thing about this game to me was also the thing that made me realize why the industry as a whole feels stagnant - showing it to a sibling whom I think could be accurately described as representing the mainstream gaming demographic:

"...So where are all the monsters to fight? This is boring."

-.-

It's a joy to play and it's a joy to watch people play it, generally.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fun so far.

Burden of Proof on
  • ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The music was so good that I ended up importing the soundtrack from japan.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • EliteBattlemanEliteBattleman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can't help but think these guys sound eerily similar to the two Unskippable guys at the Escapist.

EliteBattleman on
    This is my sig.
    There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can assure you we are not whoever those guys are.

Also, unfortunately this week turned out to be terrible for Felix and I getting together and doing the next four Colossi or so, but I am holding out hope that we should have much more free time early next week, so expect some updates then.

Kane Red Robe on
    edited July 2011
    Or I could be a horrible liar; the next two Colossi videos should be up on viddler and the OP has been updated accordingly. These dudes are taking a lot longer than the first ones, which is good I guess, but it does make for longer videos. I'll have to start thinking about splitting them into episodes if they start taking any longer.

5th Colossus
    Wherein we face our most difficult foe yet, gravity.

6th Colossus
    In which we discuss beard physics at length.

Kane Red Robe on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I don't know if the game said so earlier, but you can press L1 (L2? I forget which) to keep the camera trained on the Colossus.
    This can be handy for a few of them, since you need to keep moving while knowing where they are.

Also, holding R1 as you jump towards your horse makes it much easier to get on, especially in a hurry.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Also, I am very thankful that you guys learned that you don't actually have to shine your sword on weak points. The beam just shows you where they are. They appear when you're close to them for stabbing. I was growing increasingly befuddled by your insistence on holding your sword up on the bird.

There will be colossi you fight where you will just have to find the weak points since you won't be able to hold up your sword.

Ceno on
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yes, swimming underwater is faster than on the surface. Looks like you figured that out.

The map you discovered is more helpful that it seems at first; primarily, you can use the trail of where you've been to get reoriented if you get turned around. I think it marks locations of shrines once you pray to them, too, so it is worth saving at each one once you find it.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    edited July 2011
    Indeed, as the game is a Gamefly rental it didn't even come with a manual so we are reduced trying to figure shit out by having Felix press a random series of button combinations while I helpfully suggest things like, "Press the B button," when I inevitably forget what a PS2 controller looks like. Fortunately we are (Felix is) getting better slowly and sorting things out despite this. Also we may or may not have a copy en-route that Felix purchased which I dearly hope comes with a manual.

Also you folks have been pretty stellar about giving out helpful advice without spoiling the plot, good show.

Kane Red Robe on
    edited July 2011
    From what I remember, the manual really won't help you much. They intentionally made it a game of discovery from within the game itself.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I stopped in the game at what I think was the second to the last colossus.
    It is the one that you lose your horse immediately before. I like to call it the "Sheet Metal Wizard".

Some day I will finish it off.

Krathoon on
    edited July 2011
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It is the one that you lose your horse immediately before. I like to call it the "Sheet Metal Wizard".

That's the last one.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

That was the last one. You essentially got to the last boss and then quit before seeing the ending and getting the pay off for all your work!

You'll never get back to it by the way. You'll load it up, realise you can't remember the controls at all anymore, get frustrated by trying to relearn how to play whilst simultaneously fighting the hardest fight in the game and then turn it back off again forever. Or at least until you start all the way from the beginning again.

Why would you stop so close to the end?!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

That was the last one. You essentially got to the last boss and then quit before seeing the ending and getting the pay off for all your work!

You'll never get back to it by the way. You'll load it up, realise you can't remember the controls at all anymore, get frustrated by trying to relearn how to play whilst simultaneously fighting the hardest fight in the game and then turn it back off again forever. Or at least until you start all the way from the beginning again.

Why would you stop so close to the end?!

I needed to go to bed. It really wasn't that hard. I'll get it.

Krathoon on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This game is

so great. I played it like 3 times. The Colossi are some of the best things I've seen in a game to this day.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    edited July 2011
    shadow_of_the_clop_ssus_by_atlur-d3if380.jpg

7th Colossus:
    Part 1
    In which our horse begins to reconsider his choice of employer.

Part 2
    In which we complain about the fight not being epic enough.

8th Colossus
    In which we face our first really dangerous foe and do about as well as you'd expect.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    teg5511 wrote: »
    Holy crap though is it constantly depressing.

This.

I played it through a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, but didn't remember it being so depressing. I booted it up again a few weeks ago and was just amazed at how depressing the whole thing was. Maybe it's because I knew the story and ending this time, but the dreary landscape didn't help.

Sir Carcass on
  • FelixSomethingSomethingFelixSomethingSomething Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm at work and I had to rewatch the end of #8 for my heroic leap

FelixSomethingSomething on