As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Monkey Island 5 Concept Art?

strike_the_tripstrike_the_trip Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
http://kotaku.com/gaming/you-fight-like-a-cow/anyone-for-more-monkey-island-267962.php

This came at a weird time as I just finished relaying the series. I know rumors about this have come up before, but it really begs a question I've been wondering about:

What would it take for MI5 to be made?

strike_the_trip on

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Was the fourth one even any good? It looked like a sack of shit.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It was, but it had shit controls (like Grim Fandango), and it had some terrible parts, like Monkey Kombat. The graphics were also godawful compared to MI3, but, to be fair, that is one of the most beautiful 2D games of its time (and it still is).

I definitely think they'd be able to make a good looking 3D one now, though, so I hope it's true. That art looks awesome.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Was the fourth one even any good? It looked like a sack of shit.

The weakest of the series maybe but that's comparing it to some high class competition. It's still a worthy adventure game with more than a few laughs. Well worth playing.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • p_jazzyp_jazzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Please please please please please please please please please please please let there be a 5th Monkey Island. I would pay £50 for it if it were anywhere near as good as MI3!!!

p_jazzy on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Monkey island 4 was a pretty good game. Up until
    You get about halfway through the island and they pull that bullshit Monkey Combat crap, that wasn't fun AT ALL. It wasn't humourous, it wasn't much of a puzzle, it just sucked and was unacceptably bad. And then they tainted the final lechuck encounter with it instead of having an awesome running puzzle section like the other 3 games. Up until that point though, it's a good game.

-SPI- on
  • FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Monkey 4 was a decent adventure game, but not worthy of the franchise. It was trying too hard to be Monkey Island, digging up too many old characters and locations.

Also, it wasn't very pretty and the controls were annoying.

Firebrand on
  • IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This is pure awesome news. I can't even think of anything to say to express my excitement except......

FUCK YEAH!!!!

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I would buy 8 copies, 9 if they came with fine leather jackets!

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I drooling. I not speak gewd when drool.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Firebrand wrote: »
    Monkey 4 was a decent adventure game, but not worthy of the franchise. It was trying too hard to be Monkey Island, digging up too many old characters and locations.

Also, it wasn't very pretty and the controls were annoying.

And mother fucking monkey goddamned combat.

Its horribly frustrating. D:

LockeCole on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    brynstar wrote: »
    I would buy 8 copies, 9 if they came with fine corinthian leather jackets!

Fixed.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Not to mention the Insult Arm Wrestling, which seemed far too much like an afterthought. The plot also seemed far too linear - it was more, "I need this so I can do this," rather than, "I need this, this and this to affect this in order to do this, while at the same time doing this to get something else to do this and then this..."

Monkey 5 will make me happy as long as Ron Gilbert is on the team.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Not to mention the Insult Arm Wrestling, which seemed far too much like an afterthought. The plot also seemed far too linear - it was more, "I need this so I can do this," rather than, "I need this, this and this to affect this in order to do this, while at the same time doing this to get something else to do this and then this..."

He wasn't for 3 or 4 so I wouldn't hold your breath. (For ten minutes!!!)

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • strike_the_tripstrike_the_trip Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

He wasn't for 3 or 4 so I wouldn't hold your breath. (For ten minutes!!!)

But he knows the secret!

strike_the_trip on
  • mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm tempted to reinstall MI3 and play it right now. But I'm worried that if I play it now, it will make me think of it as crap compared to when I played it a while ago. Should I reinstall?

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I enjoyed MOnkey Island 4, maybe it's just because enough time had spanned to make me appreciate anything at all.

I want a Monkey Island 5. That artwork looks ace. This should happen.

By tomorrow.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • SlyJokerSlyJoker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm tempted to reinstall MI3 and play it right now. But I'm worried that if I play it now, it will make me think of it as crap compared to when I played it a while ago. Should I reinstall?

Sure, the art is amazing so the game doesn't really age, the puzzles are cool, the jokes are funny. It will be a great game forever.

SlyJoker on
    edited June 2007

Yes. It's awesome. I think it's at least as good as 2.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    it better be 2D

they should remake 1, 2, and 3 with 3's art style and voice actors but in high-def and sell it to me

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    it better be 2D

they should remake 1, 2, and 3 with 3's art style and voice actors but in high-def and sell it to me

I would buy that as well!

3 is my personal favorite of the series.

Pappapishu!

brynstar on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DanHibiki on
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DanHibiki wrote: »

You have made me so sad.

Sceptre on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sceptre wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »

You have made me so sad.

why the fuck would anyone go around making up rumors like that is beyond me.

DanHibiki on
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    No. No.

NO!

*sob*

(Incidentally, where can you find the first four monkey islands? I say this out of curiosity, like a child who's just had a dream crushed and then sat on. Twice)

Greeper on
  • DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've tried several times, but just can't get into the 4th one. The controls are awful and, while some of the jokes were chuckle-worthy, the hit/miss ratio was too low for me to wade through all the "funny" dialogue. Three remains my favorite, closely followed by 1. 2 got too...strange...at the end.

Dagrabbit on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The best thing about the Monkey Island games is that I had more fun watching others playing them then actually doing it myself.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Repeat: 4 is alright, not as good as 3. Also the whole "revelation" towards the end is kind of messy/dumb.

I really miss the classic 2D cartoon games but realize 3D is porabably more efficient, especially for small development teams.

Like right now I'm playing the whole first season of the new Sam & Max series. It's brilliant and I laugh out loud every few minutes. However the world seems kind of barren compared to the old game but the content is still excellent.

edit: almost forgot - OH MY GOD MONKEY ISLAND 5 WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT!

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
    edited June 2007
    Actually the graphics in the new Sam & Max series really impressed me. At the very least, it looks a lot better than I had expected. The character models look good, but the visual design and backgrounds are amazing, and it only gets better as the episodes progress.

Cherrn on
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My understanding was that the concept art itself was real, but there have been no steps taken to actually making MI5 a reality. Especially since almost no one who worked on the original games are at LucasArts anymore.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My heart stopped when I read the thread title.

Seriously, make MI5 now. My first born, kidney and other things are up for taking if it's made.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What's a monkey island?

Also, ask me about Loom.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
    edited June 2007
    What's a monkey island?

Also, ask me about Loom.

Alright I'll bite..."What's this Loom you speak of?"

InitialDK on
    -Louis C.K.
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    As might be guessed, I am a Monkey Island whore, and would give the use of my legs to have MI5 in front of me right now. I just want you to understand my full meaning when I say I would prefer a Loom 2 over a new Monkey Island.

How could they leave the ending like that and never make a sequel?!

Anyway, even though it's only three pieces of concept art, is it wrong to hope? Are there too few of us to mean that Monkey Island is a liscense to print money?

PolloDiablo on
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    InitialDK wrote: »
    What's a monkey island?

Also, ask me about Loom.

[SIZE=-1]I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother?[/SIZE]

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What's a monkey island?

Also, ask me about Loom.

You mean the latest masterpiece of fantasy storytelling from Lucasfilm's Brian Moriarty?
    Why it's an extraordinary adventure with an interface of magic...
    ...stunning, high-resolution, 3D landscapes...
    ...sophisticated score and musical effects.
    Not to mention the detailed animation and special effects,
    elegant point 'n' click control of characters, objects, and magic spells.
    But wait, there's more!
    Loom has no burdensome typing, mapping, or inventory management.
    And unlike many adventure games today, it's easy for beginners to enjoy.
    A leading game magazine says it's, 'Enchanting...complex...captivating.'
    Beat the rush!
    Go out and buy Loom today!
    Sorry, but on some topics I just get carried away.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
    edited June 2007
    What's a monkey island?

Also, ask me about Loom.

You mean the latest masterpiece of fantasy storytelling from Lucasfilm's Brian Moriarty?
    Why it's an extraordinary adventure with an interface of magic...
    ...stunning, high-resolution, 3D landscapes...
    ...sophisticated score and musical effects.
    Not to mention the detailed animation and special effects,
    elegant point 'n' click control of characters, objects, and magic spells.
    But wait, there's more!
    Loom has no burdensome typing, mapping, or inventory management.
    And unlike many adventure games today, it's easy for beginners to enjoy.
    A leading game magazine says it's, 'Enchanting...complex...captivating.'
    Beat the rush!
    Go out and buy Loom today!
    Sorry, but on some topics I just get carried away.

*ADVERTISEMENT* blink *ADVERTISEMENT*

brynstar on
  • 12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    More like "Ask me about Grim Fandango"

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
    edited June 2007
    As might be guessed, I am a Monkey Island whore, and would give the use of my legs to have MI5 in front of me right now. I just want you to understand my full meaning when I say I would prefer a Loom 2 over a new Monkey Island.

How could they leave the ending like that and never make a sequel?!

Anyway, even though it's only three pieces of concept art, is it wrong to hope? Are there too few of us to mean that Monkey Island is a liscense to print money?

Sam & Max came back so I don't think there is any reason to give up hope.

InitialDK on
    -Louis C.K.
  • ThelloThello Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    According to this post at Telltale Games:
    Yes to clarify the above concept art has nothing to do with Monkey Island 5, which does not exist, but rather an animated Monkey Island movie that was going to exist like ten years ago but was cancelled in the pre-production stages. (More info here.) Steve Purcell was apparently a concept artist on the project and jokingly said what he did when he sent over the art for legal reasons.

So it's concept art for a Monkey Island movie that was canned long ago, and had nothing to do with a fifth Monkey Island game in the first place.

Thello on
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sam & Max came back so I don't think there is any reason to give up hope.
    Sam & Max is owned by Steve Purcell; he can bring the series to whatever developer he likes, and it can get published through whatever distributor will take it. Monkey Island is owned by LucasArts, and any MI game would be published by LucasArts even if it were developed by another studio (which wouldn't be very likely). We won't see a new MI game unless and until LucasArts thinks that a new MI would be profitable enough for them to publish it.

gtrmp on