As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dungeon Lords] Game 1! That Yellow Bastard Rules the Underworld!

blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly.Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Critical Failures
dlcover.jpg

They meet in a tavern. They quaff a few ales. Before the night is over, the strong warrior, the wily wizard, the commited priest and the sneaky thief form an inseparable party of adventurers, ready to rid the world of evil. And wouldn’t you know it? There just happens to be some evil within easy walking distance. A dark lord has filled a nearby hill with tunnels, traps, treasure, and trolls.

And so the next morning (or the next afternoon if too many ales were quaffed) the heroes set out to fight for Right, conquer the dungeon, and punish the wicked lord (by taking all his treasure, of course). It’s a classic scenario, and any veteran dungeon crawler will tell you that’s the way things ought to be.

But what about that dark lord? Does anyone ever think about his feelings? Those adventurers, who have never done an honest day’s work in their lives, can not begin to imagine how much effort goes into building a respectable dungeon. They have no idea how hard it is to tunnel through granite, how expensive good traps are these days, how diffi cult it is to find qualified imps, or how much food it takes to feed a troll. And the bureaucracy! Dungeons must meet rigid safety specifications, gold mining is subject to strict regulations, and taxes are due whenever the Ministry of Dungeons feels like it. And as soon as the dungeon is built, some band of do-gooders comes along and hacks everything up. Life is not easy for a dungeon lord.

This will be a Play-by-Post game of Dungeon Lords for 4 players. You take the role of a young aspiring dungeon lord (just 15 to 20 decades old) who is trying to get a dungeon lord license. The Ministry of Dungeons gives you a trial period during which you attempt to build a high-quality dungeon and protect it from adventurers. At the end of two years,your dungeon is visited by Ministry officials who give you points for your engineering and tactical achievements.

Essential reading:

The Rules (from which I stole most of this post)
The FAQ

blahmcblah on
Β«134567

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Useful Information

Game Structure:
    1. NEW ROUND PHASE

Draw 3 new Monsters and 2 Rooms. Discard any remaining from previous round.
    Except round 4, do the following.
    Draw 4 Adventurer tiles. Order from left to right, least to most powerful. Ties: retain drawn order. Replace last drawn if all of equal power.
    Turn up next round’s Event tile (and possibly Special Event card).

2. ORDERS PHASE

CHOOSE 3 ORDERS.
    REVEAL ORDER & in turn PLACE MINION 3x.
    Pay 1 Gold if β€œHire Monsters” is first Order.
    Place Minion on Order card if no space left or the order is not carried out.
    PLAY ACTIONS - Left to right, top to bottom.
    Food, Improve Reputation, Hire Imps, Buy Traps – Cannot pay partial cost.
    Spy looks at one Combat card. In 2nd year get extra Trap card and discard any one of your Trap cards.
    Dig tunnels, Mine Gold – May use fewer Imps than specified. Must use Foreimps where specified. Trolls do not help dig or mine.
    New Tunnel must be adjacent to a previous Tunnel or Room. Cannot fill 2x2 blocks. One digger per tunnel.
    Each Imp can mine 1 Gold per unconquered Tunnel. One miner per Tunnel.
    Hire Monsters – Reverse order. Pay cost when hired.
    Build Rooms – Reverse order. Replace unconquered Tunnels. Two Rooms cannot be adjacent. 1st year Rooms must be built in specified areas.

3. PRODUCTION AND ORDERS RETRIEVAL PHASE

Use unused Imps and/or Troll tokens in Production rooms. In 1st year, use each once per round. In 2nd year, use each twice per round.
    Take back inaccessible Orders. Of the played Orders, take back the first played or one Order with a Minion. Move other two Orders up to Inaccessible Order spaces.

4. EVENT PHASE

Pay Day – Pay for each Monster or let go for 1 evil.
    Taxes – Pay 1 Gold per 2 dungeon tiles. Gain 1 Red mark (-3) for each unpaid Gold.
    Special Event – Follow text on Special Event card.

5. ADVENTURERS PHASE

Least powerful Adventurer goes to lowest on Evilmeter. Ties: closest to starting player is nicest.
    New Adventurers line up behind previous Adventurers. New Warriors to front. 6. END OF THE ROUND
    Return all Imps to Den.
    Except in fall, pass the Starting Player token left.

PALADIN

Each year has one Paladin.
    Moves to first player above Paladin’s level on Evilmeter.
    Moves immediately to another player if this player is at or above Paladin’s level and above current Paladin owner’s level. Ties: starting player is nicest.
    Paladin retains damage when moved during combat.

COMBAT

Flip Progress board and deal Combat cards face-down in order.
    Play four rounds. Eliminated Adventurers go to your prison. Combat over if all Adventurers eliminated.

1. PLANNING PHASE – Simultaneous.
    Mark unconquered tile closest to entrance with Minion (ties: player’s choice).
    In Tunnel play up to 1 Trap and 1 Monster.
    In Room play up to 1 Trap (pay 1 Gold) and 2 Monsters.
    Play any number of Ghosts.
    If no unconquered tiles, discard one imprisoned Adventurer instead of planning.

2. REVEAL COMBAT CARD

3. BATTLE PHASE – In player order. Paladin still moves during battle phase.
    A. TRAPS STEP – Reveal and deal with effects. Thieves reduce damage by one per point of anti-trap. Adventurers in front first. Discard Trap card face-down.
    B. FAST SPELL – If on Combat card and party has enough magic points.
    C. MONSTERS – After attacking, Monster is knocked out (face-down) for rest of year.
    D. SLOW SPELL – If on Combat card and party has enough magic points.
    E. HEALING – If at least one Monster or Ghost attacked, then heal damage by one per point of healing. Adventurers in front first.
    F. CONQUERING
    Party takes fatigue damage shown on Combat card, starting in front.
    If at least one Adventurer remains, then party conquers the tile. Flip tile. Move down one on Evilmeter.

SECOND YEAR

Flip Progress board. Add 2nd year Combat cards. Discard 1st year Paladin. Place shuffled Events. Flip 1st year knocked out Monsters.
    New starting player.
    4P: one to right.
    3P: one to left.
    2P: not at all.

SCORING

Points for aspects of dungeons and Titles.
    Most Points wins – declared Underlord.
    All positive scores earn Dungeon Lord License.

Monsters (and Ghosts):
    First Year

2x of each:

(Name/Cost/Attack/Other Ability)

Ghost - 1 Evil - Attack anyone but 1st adventurer for 2 - Not a monster
    Goblin - 1 Food - Attack 1st adventurer for 2; if lethal, attack next in line for 1
    Slime - 1 Food - Choose one: Attack all for 1, or prevent conquering/fatigue
    Troll - 2 Food - Attack 1st adventurer for 3, or 4 if fed a food token - Troll token can work in production rooms
    Witch - 1 Food and 1 Evil - Choose one: Attack 1st adventurer for 4, or any two for 1 each
    Vampire - 2 Evil - Choose one: Attack anyone (except priests) for 3, or for 2 and return for next round

Second Year

1x of each 1st year monster and 2x of each:

Demon - 1 Evil and 1 Monster (not Ghost) - Attack anyone for 7 and prevent conquering/fatigue
    Dragon - 2 Food and 2 Evil - Attack everyone for 2 and prevent healing
    Golem - 1 Gold and 1 Trap - Attack 1st adventurer for 4 and return for next round

Rooms:
    First Year

(Name/Placement/Activation Cost/Benefit)

Chicken Coop - Upper Half - 3 Imps - Gain 1 Food
    Magic Room - Center - 2 Imps and 1 Food - Gain 1 Imp
    Mint - Lower Half - 3 Imps - Gain 1 Gold
    Mushroom Bed - Lower Half - 3 Imps - Gain 1 Food
    Printing Press - Center - 3 Imps - Lose 1 Evil
    Souvenir Shop - Upper Half - 3 Imps - Gain 1 Gold
    Tool Shed - Outer Edge - 2 Imps - Dig 1 Tunnel
    Workshop - Outer Edge - 4 Imps - Draw 1 Trap

Second Year

(Name/Benefit)

Anti-Magic Room - No Spells can be cast here
    Cafeteria - +1 point for each Goblin, Slime, Troll, and Witch
    Chapel - +2 points for each Ghost and Vampire
    Dark Room - +1 damage for each attack from Vampire or Witch here
    Hall of Fame - +2 points for each exclusive title
    Labyrinth - Can play 2 traps here for free, but only 1 monster
    Pandemonium - +2 points for each Demon, Dragon, and Golem
    Training Room - +1 damage for each attack from Goblin or Troll here

Traps:
    3x of each
    (Name/Effect)

Anti-magic Dart - 1 damage to anyone; if wizard, no spells; if priest, no healing
    Cursed Ring - Pay 1 Gold to deal 1 damage to everyone and skip conquering/fatigue
    Fire Wall - 1 damage to all, 1 additional to last in line
    Kamikaze Imp - Pay 1 Imp to deal 3 damage to 1st adventurer and 1 to others
    Pendulum - Deal 3 damage (4 in 2nd year) to 2nd in line
    Poisoned Dart - Deal 1 damage to anyone; after conquering/fatigue, deal 2 more unpreventable to same target
    Poisoned Meal - Pay 1 Food (2 in 2nd year) to deal damage to 1st adventurer equal to remaining HP
    Rolling Stone - Deal 3 damage (4 in 2nd year) to 1st adventurer
    Trap Door - Deal 2 damage to 1st adventurer and skip conquering/fatigue

Combat Cards:
    (Name/Speed/Effect/Fatigue)

First Year

Detect Evil - Slow - Gain 2 Evil - 2 Fatigue
    Detect Treasure - Slow - Lose 1 Gold/Food/Trap in that order - 1 Fatigue
    Fireball - Fast - No Effect - 1 Fatigue
    Fist of Justice - Slow - Lose 1 Imp - 1 Fatigue
    Graffiti - Slow - Do not execute first order next year - 2 Fatigue
    Invisibility - Fast - Move wizards to back, can't be harmed - 0 Fatigue
    Magic Shield - Fast - Absorb first point of damage dealt to adventurer next dealt this round - 1 Fatigue
    Suggestion - Fast - Pay Cost for each monster or withdraw it - 2 Fatigue
    Word of Peace - Fast - Withdraw all monsters or pay 2 evil - 2 Fatigue

Second Year

Aura of Fear - Fast - Withdraw a monster - 2 Fatigue
    Blind Rage - Fast - β€œAttack Anyone”/β€œAttack Everyone” => β€œAttack Front” this turn - 3 Fatigue
    Create Food - Fast - Give first adventurer bonus hitpoint (food token) - 2 Fatigue
    Dimensional Gate - Slow - Lose 1 monster used this combat from the game - 3 Fatigue
    Illusion - Fast - Imp becomes 1hp first adventurer till killed - 3 Fatigue
    Magic Key - Slow - Discard a single captured adventurer - 2 Fatigue
    Metamorphosis - Fast - Sheep a monster. Sheep has only β€œAttack front for 1” - 3 Fatigue
    Regeneration - Slow - Heal every wounded adventurer 1hp - 1 Fatigue
    Song of Courage - Slow - 2x conquering step - 2 Fatigue

Endgame scoring:
    DUNGEON
    Conquered Rooms/Tunnels (-2 each)
    Unpaid taxes (-3 each)
    Unconquered rooms (+2 each)
    Monsters (+1 each, ghosts do not count)
    Imprisoned Adventurers (+2 each)
    Imprisoned Paladins (+5 each)
    Cafeteria (+1 per troll, goblin, slime, witch)
    Chapel (+2 per vampire, ghost)
    Pandemonium (+2 per golem, dragon, demon)

TITLES (+3 exclusive, +2 shared)
    Lord of Dark Deeds (highest on evilometer)
    Lord of Halls (all rooms count)
    Tunnellord (all tunnels count)
    Monsterlord (ghosts do not count)
    Lord of Imps (troll tokens do not count)
    Lord of Riches (gold, food, unplayed traps)
    Battlelord (fewest conquered tiles)

SPECIAL SCORING ROOM
    Hall of Fame (+2 per exclusive title, +1 in 2/3 players)

blahmcblah on
  • blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Questions for interested parties:

Should I randomly draw people from signups or just take the first four people who said they were interested?

Random events or no? They can be pretty brutal, especially for newbies, so I figured I'd ask before mercilessly unleashing them.

I've already decided this game will not be using the tricky items expansion.

blahmcblah on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Random draw or first 4 is up to you.

Random events, I'd say depends on whether or not everyone is new. If you do include them, a guide as to what sort of things we could expect would e helpful.

Darian on
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm interested and you are running the game so whichever way seems fairest to you is fine by me.
    I'd rather go with no random events for my first time.
    Will you be posting pictures of what the dungeon looks like or ascii code them?

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

edited June 2011
    Maybe I'll just do the first four to get things rolling faster. Which reminds me, I should've included a Traps summary in the useful info, so I'll get to work on that.

Doe: I'm planning on posting pictures, although I suppose I could do ASCII on request.

blahmcblah on
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    No-no, pictures would be wonderful!

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• TmoiyTmoiy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Still interested! I have no opinion on whether to use random events.

Tmoiy on
    edited June 2011
    Well, since so far the only other people who've posted in this thread are the ones who already said they were interested, I may as well invite the other of the first four (XiV) to express interest. There's also admanb, who can play if anyone declines - if no one does, then I'll just put him at the top of my list for when/if I do a second game. I think we won't go with the [strike]Random[/strike] Special Events. I have no idea why I keep calling them Random.

Also, I added a trap summary to the second post.

blahmcblah on
  • MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Intrested, but need to read the rules first.

MaxFrost on
    edited June 2011
    I'll get you next time, dude, no worries.

Is it necessary to have an order results summary in the second post, or is it pretty easy to understand from the board?

Also, can everyone post their color preference (if any) for Red, Green, Blue, or Yellow? This has no effect on gameplay, but I'd like people to post game actions in their color to make life easier for me. You can come up with a funny name for your character or dungeon if you'd like. Otherwise I might attempt to make one up for you.

blahmcblah on
    edited June 2011
    I think I'd prefer yellow. Also, blue is rather hard to read with the default forum theme. Maybe we could use cyan instead?

Tmoiy on
    edited June 2011
    I don't have any trouble reading it, but I suppose if people prefer Cyan, we can use that. It just doesn't match the pieces/cards.

blahmcblah on
    edited June 2011
    Cyan!

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

edited June 2011
    How about Royal Blue? Or bolded Royal Blue?

blahmcblah on
    edited June 2011
    Bolding makes things easier. Whatever you think is best I guess. I'll take blue, red, or green.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

edited June 2011
    There's also Deep Sky Blue, which isn't perfect, but it's closer than Cyan.

blahmcblah on
  • XiVXiV Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    drevilo.jpg

Yello.

XiV on
    edited June 2011
    Lime

Darian on
    edited June 2011
    Royal blue seems fine.

At this point I might as well do a full-on preference list. Yellow > Red > Blue > Green.

Tmoiy on
    edited June 2011
    DodgerBlue is also popular; tends to be easier to read than most blues (including Royal Blue).

Darian on
    edited June 2011
    DodgerBlue does seem pretty good. Anyway, 38thDoe gets whatever shade of blue he feels like, Darian gets some shade of green (apparently lime?), and then Tmoiy and XiV both want yellow, so let's roll for it: Rolling for colors (T,X) - 2d100: 97 [2d100=56, 41]. So Tmoiy gets yellow, which leaves XiV with red, which is just as well, since Tmoiy claimed it first.

While we're at it, let's roll for seating: Rolling for seating (3,D,T,X) - 4d100: 290 [4d100=69, 41, 100, 80]

So let's meet our Dungeon Lords!

Tmoiy as That Yellow Bastard
    XiV as The Red Menace
    38thDoe as The Blue Meanie
    Darian as The Green Monster

If you don't like your nickname, too bad. Or, well, come up with another one and I'll probably change it for you.

Now that we've gotten those very important issues out of the way, I'll set up the board and PM everyone their choices for inaccessible orders.

blahmcblah on
    edited June 2011
    Hmm, So we have the following villains (spoilered for huge):
    1comicbaddies-gal-bastard.jpg
    VS
    the-green-monster-mascot.jpg
    VS
    the-red-menace-original.jpg
    VS
    bluemeanie&flags.jpg

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

edited June 2011
    What happened to that poor girl's shirt?
    Also, more like this:
    800px-Green_Monster.jpg

I am an impenetrable wall, set to repel all assaults.

Darian on
    edited June 2011
    Communism happened to that girls shirt!

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

edited June 2011
    PMing inaccessible order choices. After you've replied to me, please post here. Once everyone's done, I'll reveal your choices, the available Monsters, Rooms, Adventurers, and the first Event, and then everyone can PM me their orders for the turn.

blahmcblah on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They're being uploaded as pngs. Convert them to jpeg and the file size will drop.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited June 2011
    Thanks, Aegis!

blahmcblah on
    edited June 2011
    As a reminder, this is what all the dungeons look like at the start:

Gold : 3
    Food : 3
    Traps: 0
    Imps : 3
    Evil : 5
    Adventurers : none
    Monsters : none
    Prisoners : 0
    Dead Letters: 0
    Dungeon:
    --+--
    --+--
    --+--

blahmcblah on
    edited June 2011
    So far, I have a reply from only 38thDoe. There's no rush, but I'd like to ask everyone to post here once you've PM'd me any choices throughout the game, since I get e-mails about new posts here, but not PMs (despite my settings).

blahmcblah on
    edited June 2011
    Er, apparently you're not supposed to be able to see the starting monsters, rooms, event, and adventurers before you select your first inaccessible orders. Sorry about that! I will be redoing those, so please ignore the boards at the top of this page. 38thDoe, please feel free to change your choice.

Edit: Boards gone, for now.

blahmcblah on
    edited June 2011
    Just as well; I need to go through the rules again before I'll be ready to pick.

Darian on
    edited June 2011
    An honest businessman sets in to build the best imp hotel in town, and everyone calls him a menace just for how he looks and because he hangs out with vampires. We resorting to smear campaigns now?

Sent.

XiV on
    edited June 2011
    Hmm... how many of us have played before? And are we using the rules for the Full Game, or the First Game? (Seems to be Full, since you're letting us choose which orders to take out of play for the first winter, rather than choosing randomly.)

Darian on
    edited June 2011
    Orders sent.

Darian on
    edited June 2011
    Inaccessible orders sent.

I have not played before, but it appears that we are using everything from the full game except the special events.

Clarification requested: The Rooms and Endgame Scoring sections seem to conflict on the number of points that Chapel and Pandemonium provide. Which figure is correct?

Tmoiy on
    edited June 2011
    Darian wrote: Β»
    Hmm... how many of us have played before? And are we using the rules for the Full Game, or the First Game? (Seems to be Full, since you're letting us choose which orders to take out of play for the first winter, rather than choosing randomly.)

XiV has played, and I think Tmoiy might have. Yes, with the exception of the Special Events, this will be the full game. Sorry, I definitely should've made that clear before. I played once with the completely random inaccessible orders, and didn't think it was necessary for new players, so I haven't used it when teaching since. I also think paying a gold to put Hire Monster in the first slot is really easy to understand. Any other questions, please feel free to ask.

I have everyone's inaccessible orders, but I'm posting this from my phone. We'll be able to proceed once I have access to my computer (hopefully soon)

blahmcblah on
    edited June 2011
    I have played once, but am no means an expert (in fact I did rather poorly that time)

The "draw three, pick two" method of choosing inaccessible orders only applies at the very start of the game anyway; in later rounds the inaccessible orders are always two from the ones you played the previous round (a la Death Angel).

Tmoiy: The image on the room tiles for Chapel and Pandemonium shows two VP icons. I am not aware of any errata to them.

XiV on
    edited June 2011
    Sorry, I must've been really sleepy when I typed up that room summary. Yes, it's two points per, not one, and that's correct now.

Whoops, don't know why I thought you'd played before, Tmoiy. Well, good, you'll all be learning together. Honestly, the only thing I think would be too tough on newbies is the Special Events.

blahmcblah on
    edited June 2011
    Sweet, I'm excited. Let's do this

Tmoiy on
    edited June 2011
    Year 1, Winter

Progress Board:
    pby1winter.jpg

Main Board:
    mby1winter.jpg

The first event is Tax Day! When we get there (at the end of Spring), everyone will have to pay 1 gold (rounded up) for every two dungeon tiles (tunnels + rooms) they have, or suffer the consequences (-3 points per missing gold). Please be aware that Pay Day for Monsters will come up later in the year.

Inaccessible orders:

That Yellow Bastard: Get Food, Hire Monster
    The Red Menace: Buy Traps, Get Food
    The Blue Meanie: Mine Gold, Hire Monster
    The Green Monster: Improve Reputation, Build Room

Please PM me your orders for the round in the sequence you desire and post here when finished.
    Example:
    1. Improve Reputation
    2. Buy Traps
    3. Build Room

If I haven't made it clear (probably), the placement order for the season will be Tmoiy-XiV-38thDoe-Darian

Now go do that voodoo that you do so well!

blahmcblah on