As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wisconsin] Fake Democratic primary contenders ahoy!

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you do benefit from it, then can you really say that you don't have a horse in this race?

If I had to peg him, he's a 20-30 something from a semi-wealthy ($60-80K a year) white collar family in a strong republican background whose dad was a supervisor from a very pro-union workforce who wanted raises slightly above inflation and another sick day this year. His dad came home bitching every night about how the unions are fucking over the country because they want to be treated like human beings and his boss above him (Upper management, $300,000+ a year) told him if he didn't get them to budge the money would come out of his bonus.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    If you do benefit from it, then can you really say that you don't have a horse in this race?

If I had to peg him, he's a 20-30 something from a semi-wealthy ($60-80K a year) white collar family in a strong republican background whose dad was a supervisor from a very pro-union workforce who wanted raises slightly above inflation and another sick day this year. His dad came home bitching every night about how the unions are fucking over the country because they want to be treated like human beings and his boss above him (Upper management, $300,000+ a year) told him if he didn't get them to budge the money would come out of his bonus.

I don't think we need to get personal, here.

Dracomicron on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It has to be said at this point, I don't think any public school teachers are going to lose a leg to the pencil sharpener in the break room, nor is your average legislative secretary prone to having shipping crates dropped on her head.

There's a difference between opposing unions, and opposing public sector unions, and a further difference between either of those and opposing some powers that public sector unions may wield. But this thread has gone far afield now.

Given the conflicting reports from Prosser / Bradley, and the investigation from the Dale County Sheriff, are we all at the point where we figure whoever's at fault, the remedy is a resignation?

spool32 on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yes but non unionized teaching would become a 4 year profession since they'd just keep firing everywhere to bring in new cheaper teachers.

but god knows teachers don't need experience

nexuscrawler on
    edited June 2011
    Yes but non unionized teaching would become a 4 year profession since they'd just keep firing everywhere to bring in new cheaper teachers.

Because of the way things are set up, many states DO lay off every teacher every year, because it's otherwise impossible to do the legitimate firing that sometimes needs to happen. Obviously, there are ways to solve retention issues, but once again you're promoting a false equivalence and oversimplifying the issue so you can get a "good" zinger in.

spool32 on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What about public transit workers? Those are hardly cushy office jobs

nexuscrawler on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    spool32 wrote: »
    It has to be said at this point, I don't think any public school teachers are going to lose a leg to the pencil sharpener in the break room, nor is your average legislative secretary prone to having shipping crates dropped on her head.

There's a difference between opposing unions, and opposing public sector unions, and a further difference between either of those and opposing some powers that public sector unions may wield. But this thread has gone far afield now.

Given the conflicting reports from Prosser / Bradley, and the investigation from the Dale County Sheriff, are we all at the point where we figure whoever's at fault, the remedy is a resignation?

You're right and wrong. Teachers need physical protection from dangerous students too. However the hours and life of a teacher is very demanding, so it is not unusual that a teacher would want maybe more benefits or a pension for their years of service in that mentally grueling job.

I can say this I've held many a jobs, the hardest jobs I've had were the ones I've had to think a lot in. Lifting boxes is easy chump work, dangerous, but easy. Teaching, I imagine, is probably harder on someone's body so wanting a mental health day instead of more paid time off for being hurt is probably a very real want and requirement.

Unions don't need to always protect against safety so much as just level the playing field of bargaining. Teachers especially are not often a unique enough snowflake like me, and maybe you, where they can say "I want this or I'm gone" and shutdown the entire operation.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited June 2011

Yes?

I mean, violence in the halls of justice is simply not acceptable. There is enough evidence that the Wisconsin supreme court is being compromised by external factors that we really don't need the threat of physical intimidation between justices thrown on the pile. Whomever started the violence should step down.

Of course, I feel that Detharin will support me in this, because I am pretty sure that a female 61 year-old former school teacher would never attack a 67 year old former Republican legislator with a history of abusive behavior with her neck*, and it's okay to be in favor of something that will help my personal cause.

* -
    She'd kick him in the balls, duh.

Dracomicron on
    edited June 2011
    I wouldn't be so sure if I were you... But I think I agree with the result. Physical altercations are really beyond the line here.

And whoever leaves, it'll still be a republican appointed to the court. Self interest makes it easy to make the right call this time!

spool32 on
    edited June 2011
    I wouldn't be so sure if I were you... But I think I agree with the result. Physical altercations are really beyond the line here.

And whoever leaves, it'll still be a republican appointed to the court. Self interest makes it easy to make the right call this time!

Well, I'm not sure how the situation plays out if a judge steps down. There's probably another election scheduled to fill the gap, which I'd imagine would go to the Democrats at this point, if the longtime incumbant were out of the picture. Even if Walker can just assign a sycophant to play out Prosser's 10 year term, it's still a major black eye on the Republicans (their guy gets re-elected and immediately starts beating female co-workers?) just prior to important recall elections.

Dracomicron on
    edited June 2011

Well, I'm not sure how the situation plays out if a judge steps down. There's probably another election scheduled to fill the gap, which I'd imagine would go to the Democrats at this point, if the longtime incumbant were out of the picture. Even if Walker can just assign a sycophant to play out Prosser's 10 year term, it's still a major black eye on the Republicans (their guy gets re-elected and immediately starts beating female co-workers?) just prior to important recall elections.

Walker appoints a justice to fill the term, if one steps down.

Major black eye! I see what you did there.

spool32 on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The problem is, this story isn't being covered much in the media at all. Has anyone linked to a mainstream news source? All the links I've seen have been from blogs.

If the media did their jobs, then not only would Prosser be questioned, but the same goes for the other conservative judges. Remember, they sided with Prosser in the union vote. So by attacking Prosser, Bradley was also attacking them. Prosser responds to this, not by making a case for himself, but by trying to choke her. Reports are that immediately after the incident, one of the Judges told her, "You were not choked!" That's the words of someone trying to cover his own ass.

There are two accusations. First, that Prosser choked Bradley. Second, that Bradley charged at Prosser with her fist.

Bradley has gone on the record and said that the first accusation has happened. No one denies this. But no one has gone on the record and said that Bradley charged at Prosser with her fists. I find that odd. If that actually happened, then Prosser or one of the other judges should say that on the record. If it didn't happen, then the other justices should be willing to say so. After all, one justice was willing to say to Bradley, "You were not choked!" Why won't one of them say, "Bradley didn't charge at him?"

The media needs to start questioning the judges and asking them if Bradley actually charged Prosser.

Schrodinger on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: I have an extremely hard time beliveing that a 61 year old woman charged an even older man with her fists while wearing a judges robe.

Gaddez on
    edited June 2011
    Gaddez wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: I have an extremely hard time beliveing that a 61 year old woman charged an even older man with her fists while wearing a judges robe.

It would be nice if the press could have the other justices go on the record.

Schrodinger on
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I could see it going down thusly:

Heated words were exchanged. Bradley wanted Prosser to leave--he didn't. Bradley stands and approaches Prosser to usher him from the room. Prosser then chokes Bradley (maybe he thought she was going to attack first, maybe he's just a dick) and the situation goes from bad to worse.

Alternatively, maybe Bradley really was coming at him and he did defend himself by putting his hands up but then he accidentally bumped her throat?

Or she was coming at him with murder in her eyes and he responded in kind?

Or neither of those two things were really as bad as the other claims and everyone is being a silly goose?

I do know I'd like to hear more about Prosser's supposed abusive background. Where did that information come from?

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    Supreme goosery from all parties seems the most likely outcome here. These Justices really, really do not like each other.

spool32 on
  • AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Because of the way things are set up, many states DO lay off every teacher every year, because it's otherwise impossible to do the legitimate firing that sometimes needs to happen. Obviously, there are ways to solve retention issues, but once again you're promoting a false equivalence and oversimplifying the issue so you can get a "good" zinger in.

Wait I have to correct you on the teachers getting laid off every year thing. A staggering amount of them do, yes, but it's with the intention of rehiring come fall in some dumbass way to follow a fiscal policy despite the fact they still get paid when they're "laid off." My mom went through this exact thing for three years.

Amphetamine on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Supreme goosery from all parties seems the most likely outcome here. These Justices really, really do not like each other.

Except that Prosser is the only one with a history of losing his temper and being aggressive towards other people, including the rest of the Court. So no, it's more likely that he just flipped his shit than that both he and Bradley behaved inappropriately.

Captain Carrot on
    edited June 2011
    I do know I'd like to hear more about Prosser's supposed abusive background. Where did that information come from?

He called fellow Justice Shirley Abrahamson "a total bitch" and said that he'd "destroy" her. When confronted on the issue, he said that they taunted him until he said that. Funny how that makes two female co-workers that he's threatened now.

Now, I understand that, in this professional wrestling era, such things seem tame. But this is not professional wrestling, it's the highest court in Wisconsin.

I understand that it's entirely possible for Bradley to have taunted him or cast disparaging remarks upon his judicial fidelity, but it's the sign of a weak and violent character if he responded to such taunts by strangling the woman in her own office.

Dracomicron on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

He called fellow Justice Shirley Abrahamson "a total bitch" and said that he'd "destroy" her. When confronted on the issue, he said that they taunted him until he said that. Funny how that makes two female co-workers that he's threatened now.

Now, I understand that, in this professional wrestling era, such things seem tame. But this is not professional wrestling, it's the highest court in Wisconsin.

I understand that it's entirely possible for Bradley to have taunted him or cast disparaging remarks upon his judicial fidelity, but it's the sign of a weak and violent character if he responded to such taunts by strangling the woman in her own office.
    Or the sign of an excellent Sith Lord.

SniperGuy on
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Of course a republican judge of any kind is going to be uncivil and maybe even go to illegal lengths to attack democrats and/or their favored groups. That's how it works and it is nothing to be upset about. The escalation of all political matters of disagreement is unavoidable and is just to be tolerated even if it rots away the fabric of society. What are you people, Care Bears?

Absalon on
    edited June 2011
    Absalon wrote: »
    Of course a republican judge of any kind is going to be uncivil and maybe even go to illegal lengths to attack democrats and/or their favored groups. That's how it works and it is nothing to be upset about. The escalation of all political matters of disagreement is unavoidable and is just to be tolerated even if it rots away the fabric of society. What are you people, Care Bears?

So you are okay with politicians physically assaulting each other then, is what you're saying.

Amphetamine on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Absalon wrote: »

So you are okay with politicians physically assaulting each other then, is what you're saying.

Or, you know, Sarcasm.

Take your pick, really.

Burtletoy on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    edited June 2011
    Poe's Law all up ins

Dracomicron on
    edited June 2011
    poe's law claims another victim yet again

Amphetamine on
    edited June 2011
    poe's law claims another victim yet again

Remember people: Plum is for Poe.

Dracomicron on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My wife just got a letter trying to convince her to do her residency in Madison.

Robosigned by Scott Walker.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited June 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    My wife just got a letter trying to convince her to do her residency in Madison.

Robosigned by Scott Walker.

I hear that's a great private school.

Dracomicron on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's going to be in 20-30 years.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Detharin wrote: »
    TheOrange wrote: »
    Well, if all things are equal, and you have to lessen the quality of life of a single class, shouldn't you pick the class that has it better already? If I have to choose between corporations and middle to lower class, I'd choose to fuck over corporations.

Well personally I am more of the fuck everyone type. At this point I am not quite sure how we handle democracy is capable of handling the problems we have. We have a huge shit sandwich and no one is going to vote for taking a bite.

However the reality is that I would much rather see people acknowledging that we are in fact openly trying to fuck corporations/ the upper class/anyone with money in favor of the middle to lower classes. It may not be the best plan. Hell it may not even be a good plan. However it is an honest plan. Frankly what sickens me the most is the people that pretend their side is awesome, not corrupt, and is all that is good and pure in the world while the other side is a bunch of corrupt kitten eating assholes.

Yeah. Fuck all those lower and middle class assholes.
    They abuse their power by...what's that? They have little to no power?
    Oh.
    Maybe that's why no one insists their side is just as corrupt, evil, and dominating. Because both sides aren't equal.

The Muffin Man on
    edited June 2011

Except that Prosser is the only one with a history of losing his temper and being aggressive towards other people, including the rest of the Court. So no, it's more likely that he just flipped his shit than that both he and Bradley behaved inappropriately.

Basically, a man shoots his wife, then claims it was self-defense, even though no one can find her weapon.

Then he shoots his second wife. Again, self-defense. Again, no weapon.

At some point, you have to wonder, "Hmmm..."

Schrodinger on
  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    In this ball game we are playing by the same rules. Democrats fuck corporations to pay for unions/lower Republican funding, and toss more money at unions to get more money in campaign contributions.
    What world do you live in?
    Cue freakout over the NLRB doing its job.

Brian Krakow on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »
    Maybe this has been brought up already, but Bradley states Prosser choked her, others corroborate while yet others say Bradley attacked Prosser. Its nice to see that a group of judges can all agree on how a single event went on right in front of their eyes.

To be fair, this is why eyewitness testimony is actually completely unreliable.

Yeah, thats kinda why I found it funny. Prior to sitting on the Supreme Court of Wisconsin I assume they had trial lawyer/judge experience and as a result had to deal with the uselessness of eye witness testimony.

emp123 on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    However the reality is that I would much rather see people acknowledging that we are in fact openly trying to fuck corporations/ the upper class/anyone with money in favor of the middle to lower classes.

I am just absolutely staggered at this comment. It requires either a blindness so deep as to not see the basic structures of society, or it accepts that those structures are right and moral and good.

In the absence of government there is monarchy, oligarchy, and aristocracy. It is with a hand wizened by the experiences of dealing with the disproportionate power of the past that we have structured the present, not with desire to hurt those who would otherwise rule.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited June 2011
    Republican challenger John Nygren (R) falls shy of needed singatures to challenge Dave Hansen (D)
    On Monday, Wisconsin’s Government Accountability Board voted unanimously to keep state Rep. John Nygren (R-Marinette) off the ballot in a recall election against state Sen. Dave Hansen (D-Green Bay), saying that the GOP lawmaker fell short of the 400 valid signatures required to qualify.

Nygren has said that he will fight the decision. If he appeals in court, a judge could order the Government Accountability Board to delay the election. Board spokesman Reid Magney says that “right now were proceeding as if it’s on.”

Just more evidence of a severe lack of Republican ground game.
    Now Hansen will face David VanderLeest, (R) a weaker opponent with a long court record. He’s been accused of domestic and child abuse by his ex-wife, and been taken to court for code violations in the buildings he owns. When he filed his candidacy, VanderLeest made the kind of statement that’s never good for a candidate: “I have made mistakes in my past... Any scrutiny of court records or filings will show that my ex-wife recanted all statements ever made against me in any courtroom in Wisconsin.”

That... that's just... beautiful. :lol:

THREAD NOTE: Upon determining my workload, I'm probably not going to have time to make a new thread tomorrow, and I'm going to a convention this weekend, so if this gets locked, someone else can make the new thread, or I'll get to it next week.

Dracomicron on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    so when are these recall elections actually going to be? August?

override367 on
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm in favor of unions because without them, we wouldn't have weekends or child labor laws or overtime pay or paid time off.

I'm in favor of unions because a one party corporatist dystopia would be a shitty thing for my children and children's children to deal with.

I would be in favor of corporations over unions if unions had almost driven corporations into the sea. I would say, "guys, we need corporations to make our stuff and pay our wages. Communism generally doesn't work out very well." But that's not about to happen.

I don't need to be in a union or even have union members in my family to know that what Walker is doing will ruin a very successful way of life in a state with a strong middle class. Detharin, I know you're trying to be the cynical realist here, but just stop for a second and think about what our society would be like if we had never allowed employee unions. Their success list is so long, and includes so many things we now take for granted, that I can't imagine that you don't benefit from any of it. If you do benefit from it, then can you really say that you don't have a horse in this race?

You realize that we are talking about public sector Unions here, they do not compete with corporations. In the private sector less than 10% of people work for a Union. Comparing the history of Unions to the now of Unions is quite a bit different. Historically Unions did primarily focus on workers rights issues.

Of course what Walker is doing will ruin a very successful way of life especially if your way of life requires more and more money from the public sector. You keep combining public and private sector Unions into this one nebulous ball while in fact they are very separate things and tossing in all the great and wonderful things private sector Unions have fought for into the ball with Public sector Unions. Two completely separate beasts, with two separate agendas. See the private sector does not get to decided who it negotiates against, moreover as stated if a Union makes unreasonable demands the company may just shut down. Now with the public sector that is completely the opposite and their focus is one getting who they want across the table and as much as they can because it is very difficult to kill a state.
    Goumindong wrote: »
    I am just absolutely staggered at this comment. It requires either a blindness so deep as to not see the basic structures of society, or it accepts that those structures are right and moral and good.

In the absence of government there is monarchy, oligarchy, and aristocracy. It is with a hand wizened by the experiences of dealing with the disproportionate power of the past that we have structured the present, not with desire to hurt those who would otherwise rule.

Ahh but we are not talking about government, we are talking about the court of public opinion. We know why the Corporations and the Unions act (money).

Detharin on
  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The government can walk away from an unreasonable proposal same as any employer.

Brian Krakow on
This discussion has been closed.