As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Firefox 5 only uses AOL search in it's search box?

tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
So, I recently installed firefox 5 on my windows machine and the only search engine I can use in the search box at the top right is aol search. I recall in Firefox 4 you could use wikipedia, or google and so on. AOL in fact wasn't even an option! I'd really like to get google back, but can't figure out how to do it. It's not an option in manage search engines, nor does it pop up when I 'get more search engines'.

All the articles I can find are to do with non functioning google toolbars, not the search box which is part of the basic firefox setup.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
tbloxham on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mine is using Google. There should be a little arrow next to it with an icon which you can drop down and select/manage. Do you not have that?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm using 5.0 and the search toolbar is working fine.

Make sure you don't have any third party toolbar app thingies that crap things up.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I too have FF5 and have no problems with the mini-search bar. Mine is set for Wikipedia right now.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I have the arrow, but the only option in it is AOL search.

In my advanced config settings there are some entries for an aol toolbar, but I've never used an aol toolbar and there doesn't seem to be any kind of 'show aol toolbar' option available. It certainly wasn't like this in Firefox 4.

In my about:config there are some entries under aol_toolbar ... But, I don't like to just delete stuff from there at random.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Easy check? Uninstall FF and redownload it.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    tbloxham wrote: »
    AOL search and the "Manage Search Engines..." option, I hope you mean.

If that's not there someone's properly fucked around with your search box... As in replaced it with an AOL-only version.
    If you can't find the manage search engines option, try right-clicking your toolbar and selecting customise then looking around for the "search" box in the elements to add.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    AOL search and the "Manage Search Engines..." option, I hope you mean.

If that's not there someone's properly fucked around with your search box... As in replaced it with an AOL-only version.
    If you can't find the manage search engines option, try right-clicking your toolbar and selecting customise then looking around for the "search" box in the elements to add.

Yeah, AOL search and manage search engines, but there's nothing useful in the manage search engines menu.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, AOL search and manage search engines, but there's nothing useful in the manage search engines menu.
    Click the "get more search engines" link then, just below the list, to get additional searches from Mozilla.

Or go to the Google homepage or whatever - if the search engine supports it, the little drop-down arrow in the search bar will gain a blue glow and you can click it to add that engine to the list.

Edit: You can also hit "Restore Defaults" to get the standard set back.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I work at Mozilla. We've seen this complaint a couple of times for FF5 (at least I saw it today on our input dashboard, and one of the UX guys mentioned seeing it before too). His theory was there's some malicious addon/malware out there changing people's search engines. If you figure out what it is, or want to post a list of addons you have installed, it might be interesting to see.

DigDug2000 on