As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New & Shiny Pet Thread! (NSF56K)

JansonJanson Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Social Entropy++
(Thank you to Bogey for the approval!)

So... I wrote a lovely long post and then accidentally closed the window. C'est la vie.

The upshot of the post was - Mori and I adopted kitties last Tuesday, and I could not see the pet thread anywhere! So here is the new and shiny pet thread.

We've been thinking of adopting for a while, and last weekend we went to a pet adoption fair. After filling out the adoption form (the only way to be able to pet the cats), the lady asked us if we'd consider adopting older cats. We said of course we would! The kittens are adorable (and there were some truly stunning ones - especially Chipper and Seleena and Milkdud), but older cats are much harder to adopt out, and come with the bonus of being calmer and already house-trained. She explained she had been fostering these two orange-and-white sisters for whom she had been struggling to find a home for over three years. How could we say no?

(I must admit, I am partial to black or tortoiseshell or tabby cats, but then Mori is partial to tuxedo and orange cats, so we could never have agreed anyway!)

The girls arrived at our apartment on Tuesday evening and we have been trying to coax them out of the closet ever since. :)

Sugar_001.jpg

This is Sugar. She's the shy one. This is the only decent photo I have of her, and it's not even mine! It's courtesy of Mori's cell phone. She remained tucked behind some coats at the very back of the closet all last evening. She has a beautiful, medium-length rabbit-like coat, very, very soft; I can't wait until she permits us to pet her and groom her. She was actually the more outgoing one at the fair, but that's mainly because she's very protective of her sister. She was once adopted out on her own, but was returned after a week as she was missing her sister too much.

shara_009.jpg

This is Shara. Poor Shara had an allergic reaction to fleas, and subsequently lost a lot of her coat. She's completely bald on her stomach and one ear, and her back legs and tail are really patchy. You fortunately can't really tell here! She appears more shy at first, but she's actually the bolder of the two. She played with us last night.

shara_003.jpgshara_004.jpgshara_005.jpg shara_006.jpg shara_007.jpg shara_008.jpg

So, hey, if you are considering adopting a cat, give some consideration to older cats! They are pretty awesome. My parents adopted a 12 year old cat last year and she is VERY mellow, just likes to hang out and receive cuddles.

Good resources for cats:

about.cats.com (Some very good articles there. However, I have NO idea about today's front page. Er...)
www.humanesociety.org

What about guinea-pigs?

We have those too! I feel really bad actually because we bought ours, and then I came across guinea-pig shelters and saw some awesome adoptables in our area. I have no idea why I didn't consider that there'd be guinea-pig shelters. There're even ones for rats and mice!

I last posted pictures of our piggies when they were young and slim. I read that female guinea-pigs weigh between 700 and 1,000 grams. Um. Ours are 1,680 g and 1,550 g. They're on a diet! I'm trying to give them more exercise and we've switched them to healthier pellets.

edi_001.jpg

EDI is such a lady. Like her namesake, she prefers to stay rooted in one place, and is softly-spoken. She is a shoulder-pig. She is the 'lightest', but also the greediest. She equates every rustle of a bag with the opening of a salad bag, and she takes approximately 0.002 seconds to reach the food-bowl after I have filled it with lettuce.

edi_002.jpg

She is also remarkably easy to photograph. All I have to do is place down some food!

jack_001.jpg

Jack, also like her namesake, is certifiably insane. She is the strangest non-guinea-pig-like-pig I have ever known. She likes to be petted a little roughly. She chirps happily all the time once she's in your arms, even though she's a little hard to catch. She looooves Dubh. She also loves anyone who is holding Edi. She will jump onto whoever is holding Edi and butt Edi out of the way. The grass is always greener with Jack.

jack_002.jpg

Look at that fur! She is like a little sponge. Her fur is kinky and pretty coarse.

Guinea-pig and rabbit cages!

Pretty much every commercial cage available for rabbits and guinea-pigs is far too small. They require quite a lot of room. Fotunately it's both easy and cheap to make your own. Actually, I ordered mine from C & C Cages - the lady provides everything you need, ready to assemble, in any colour you like.

I did need to add a roof for the benefit of protecting the piggies from the cats, however, so I bought some spare grids from Target. The grids at Target are not safe enough for use as guinea-pig cage walls (the holes are too large) but since guinea-pigs can't climb I figured they'd be fine for the roof. You can find grids suitable for the walls at Walmart and other retailers (including Amazon).

Here is their cage, open:

cage_open.jpg

It might not look that big, but it's easily two and a half times larger than the biggest pet store cage. I'm actually thinking of expanding it in the future, as I'd like to fit a litter bin in there, and would also like them to be able to run laps easily. (Jack loves running around).

Here is it closed:

cage_closed.jpg

It does not close beautifully, but it is pretty secure.

The beauty with the grids is that you can build the cages just about as high and as long or wide as you like!

Resources for guinea-pigs:

www.guineapigcages.com
www.guinealynx.info

So, talk about your pets! Post photos of your dog and make Mori jealous (I swear, one day we might as well just move out to farm).

Janson on

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I WANT ALL THE CORGIS

ALSO ALL THE DACHSHUNDS

AND ALL THE BUNNIES

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Bonus: Dorgis

Or, corgis wearing bunny ears, I guess!

Janson on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    so many thumbs up for adopting adult cats!

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I mean, as adorable as kittens are, we realized the kittens were more than likely going to be adopted. These two girls had been waiting a couple years!

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I was considering older cats anyway, as I've heard the problems shelters have adopting them out before, and it always breaks my heart. But I must say, at the pet fair there were six kittens in a huge kitten pile, and omgosh so adorable!

Also, in many areas black cats are also harder to adopt out. So I recommend people to consider both older cats and black cats!

Janson on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    those cats are adorable, janson

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    usagi and I have talked about maybe getting a cat (we'd like a dog, but we agree it wouldn't be fair to the dog in this 1 br 1 den apt), and fortunately we're on the same page regarding adopting an adult instead of getting a kitten

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just put down a deposit on a Blue Heeler puppy to be born this fall. He or she will be great when society collapses and I need a dog in the wasteland like Mad Max.

Example:

australian-blue-puppy-framed.jpg

AustralianCattleDogMaxFullGrown.JPG

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    usagi and I have talked about maybe getting a cat (we'd like a dog, but we agree it wouldn't be fair to the dog in this 1 br 1 den apt), and fortunately we're on the same page regarding adopting an adult instead of getting a kitten

That's exactly why we wouldn't want to get a dog in this apartment

It's a big apartment but there's really no places around here to walk it, plus I'd like to give it a yard to run around in

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Good luck, Druhim! Can't wait to see who you adopt :D

And that is a gorgeous coat colour, Hunter

The other day I went to the zoo with Dubh, and met some of the guinea-pigs' cousins:

capybara.jpg

Janson on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Moriveth wrote: »

That's exactly why we wouldn't want to get a dog in this apartment

It's a big apartment but there's really no places around here to walk it, plus I'd like to give it a yard to run around in

That's what dachshunds are for
    Not that I don't want to get Monty a yard anyway

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    SoaL wrote: »
    those cats are adorable, janson

shara_010.jpg

...you were saying?

Haha, poor Shara! You can really see how ratty her fur is right there. :) She'll look beautiful once it's all grown back <3

(And yes, they are!)

Janson on
  • Options
    EclipsedPlanetEclipsedPlanet Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    246841_1604856775847_1668973156_1045117_3955246_n.jpg

Classy lads (intrigued by kitties)

EclipsedPlanet on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh my, just look at them all! D'aw!

Janson on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    when we do get a dog, a brittany spaniel is a very likely candidate as it's a favorite breed of Jess'

girl loves water dogs

brittanies are great dogs, but personally I lean toward malinois

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This should be the thread where Quoth posts her first baby picture (just kidding!)

Goose! on
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is Oscar. We got him from a rescue that looks though dogs in California shelters that are easy to adopt yet soon to be put down. He was 48 hours from death when they spotted him and flew him up to Canada. He's lazy like a cat, but super super friendly.
    i9uR9.png

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    when we do get a dog, a brittany spaniel is a very likely candidate as it's a favorite breed of Jess'

girl loves water dogs

My buddy from work has a malinois. Nice dogs and very protective.

Although, this is why I want an Australian Cattle dog of the blue variety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMdYN7J4zGk

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    home-119.JPG

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    me and Lady SH want to get a pet but we'd feel bad about a dog since we're both out of the house most of the day

an older cat is what we've been thinking about, though I love kittens to bittens

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    sometimes chester is photogenic

eSMKe.jpg

sometime's he's...not

lvlil.jpg

Scudo on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My lil sister got a chihuahua. His name is Zepplin

IIqPB.jpg

I can't get over how tiny he is

XPE65.jpg

and he probably won't get much bigger as his siblings are already larger than him.

Here's my friend's cat. Yes, her eyes are huge

smYUn.jpg

This is Gus

xAEgz.jpg

scaled.php?tn=0&server=617&filename=butkyfixft.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

And the "sibling" he likes to torment, Zoe

wdCpf.jpg

qM8Jx.jpg

skettios on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Labradors and retrievers are awesome
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    me and Lady SH want to get a pet but we'd feel bad about a dog since we're both out of the house most of the day

an older cat is what we've been thinking about, though I love kittens to bittens

A kitten grows so quickly, though

and he/she will take a lot more training!

Our cats already know how to use a litter box, and don't feel the need to pat and claw everything in sight ;)

Also, kittens are best adopted as pairs, whereas it's quite easy to find solitary older cats

Janson on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I want to get a border collie

so

so bad

but they are sheep dogs and I'm surrounded on all sides by cattle and he would love it for about two seconds before a farmer shot him dead thinking he was a coyote or something.

it bums me out so much :(

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    oh hey, pet thread

so this morning my wife woke me up saying our cat was pawing at his mouth and sort of acting really, really strange when he tried to eat his breakfast. I told her to take her shower and keep an eye on him and went back to sleep, hoping it was nothing. Two minutes later she comes back out, saying, "There's blood, what do we do?"

I get up and sure enough, he's got blood on his paw where he's been wiping at his mouth. Poor little dude keeps licking his lips, and when he's not, he's sticking his tongue out. Something is for sure wrong. We call up the emergency vet and I scramble to get dressed, we get him in the cat crate and I bring him in. By the time I see the doc, he's pretty chilled out in his little crate, just sitting there looking nervous with his tongue sticking out.

We get a good look at him and he's got a pretty big cut on the inside of his cheek. He probably got it wrestling with his brother or he bit it on accident trying to eat his kibble in the morning. Either way, we got him some antibiotics and some pain meds to keep him from freaking out. He's still hardly eating, we're only giving him soft food for the week now to keep him from re-opening it but so far he'll only take a bite or two before wincing and slinking off to go hide somewhere. It sucks, there's nothing I can really do, but he'll be okay.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Janson wrote: »
    Labradors and retrievers are awesome
    Smart Hero wrote: »

A kitten grows so quickly, though

and he/she will take a lot more training!

Our cats already know how to use a litter box, and don't feel the need to pat and claw everything in sight ;)

Also, kittens are best adopted as pairs, whereas it's quite easy to find solitary older cats

everything here is super true

we got a pair of kittens just because my wife had never really had cats and I wanted to make sure we got to see them grow and get strong bonding, and we wanted to raise them as inside-only, which can be tough with an older cat if they've had inside-outside privileges their whole lives, but I'd never want to raise a kitten alone, only as a pair. They're much easier to care for then dogs, and are super affectionate but still really self-reliant. If I only wanted a single pet, I'd go for an older cat, no question.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Betty is an 18-month old wire-haired dachsund/some sort of terrier (probably a yorkie) mix that we've had since March. This is her begging me to throw her ball.

Betty.jpg

She never tires. She is the god-dog, who will outlive us all and be the last living being in the universe, frolicking in a cloud of plasma when the universe finally dies.

Ballman on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    oh my gosh

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    this is my buddy leonard. This picture is hella old but I still love it.

DSCN2896.JPG

this is his brother greg. I have reason to believe he is part Batman.

DSCN2889.JPG

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Oh my, those are some tremendously beautiful cats, Rank! They look so soft!

Edited to say, of course there is nothing wrong with adopting kittens, either. Just encourage people who either want just one cat or don't mind what age of cat to go for to adopt older cats. :)

Janson on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Batcat
    Catman?

Catcat

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    leonard is amazingly soft

greg is a little more sleek, but they're both super snuggly dudes

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Batgreg vs. Batmonty

halloween-121.jpg

halloween-116.jpg

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Both Sugar and Shara are huddled up in the closet, on top of Rachel's old suitcases, obscured by the clothes hanging in the closet.

It's pretty adorable.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    this is my buddy leonard. This picture is hella old but I still love it.

DSCN2896.JPG

That is one adorable yet freakishly twisty cat.

Veldrin on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    nah, cats are just flexible like that

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think I posted this picture in the last pet thread, but I haven't gotten a chance to upload new pictures yet. these are my cats, rosa and panda:

Picture19.png

this is where rosa likes to sleep
    Picture12-1.png

my first pet and much loved kitty lily who died in januray
    Picture13-2.png

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

girl loves water dogs

you and Jess have excellent taste in dog breeds, then. I grew up with springer spaniels, but the last dog my parents got before I moved out was a brittany and he is amazing.

5OSZb.jpg

Belgian Shepherds were in the running before we decided to get Collies. Malinois are great, but I tend to prefer the longer-furred Tervuren and Groenendaels. Groen's in particular are gorgeous dogs. But then, I'm a sucker for fluffy dogs.

Cormac:
    NMz8c.jpg
    5rF0z.jpg

I am also a fan of adopting adult cats - I took home what has turned out to be the most unbelievably affectionate cat I have ever met from a shelter. Fletcher's the best.

pvy1k.jpg
    Tempest what are you doing?
    LpWKN.jpg

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Long haired dogs or cats are right out for usagi and me. I mean, they look cool but fuck having to brush them all the time and the hair everywhere.

Cormac is a very pretty dog though.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    a Brittany would be even better for that than a Malinois then. our spaniels get haircuts once or twice a year, and barely shed beyond that.

UnbrokenEva on