As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo fans launching massive campaign to get Wii RPGs localized, Reggie laughs

• Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    teenage_mutant_hero_turtles.jpg

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Chris FOM wrote: »
    Except that NoA and NoE use different localizations. Look at Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (North America)/Dark Conflict (Europe) as an easy example. Same game, drastically different localization. NoA could use the European version, but I'm not sure there's any precedent for them ever doing that.

Are you just talking about the title or is the script very different?

But anyway, how about we talk about how fucked up the localization industry is? There really is no legitimate reason why the UK and the US should have different localizations. I don't care if a game comes out here with "spanner" for wrench and "fanny" for vagina or if some British idioms make there way here, and I doubt the Brits care too much if the situation is reversed. That is totally ludicrous. As far as I'm concerned, the less localization, the better.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • RobotSpammerRobotSpammer Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Sad to hear that Operation Rainfall did not achieve the ending we all wanted to see, but at the very least it got NOA to acknowledge the issue and respond. I know many people are upset at the nature of the response and the way it was delivered but having experienced Nintendo's actions on Another Code:R(ignore it until it goes away) and Fatal Frame:Mask of the lunar eclipse(hide behind software bugs that are not apparent until it goes away), this issue was actually given closure.

Maybe for the next disappointment, we will actually get a detailed response!
    "We are glad to see you're enthusiasm but at the moment we just don't feel like doing whatever the hell you are asking us to do. Keep it up the loyalty though, Your friends at Nintendo"

RobotSpammer on
    steam_sig.png
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Operation Rainfall isn't over.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    No. Any new facebook post Nintendo makes is being pretty well flooded with Rainfall messages, and the letter writing campaign continues.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think Nintendo is once again entering their N64 era of hubris.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Operation Rainfall's Twitter claims that Pandora's Tower was confirmed for European release.

Turkey on
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Drez wrote: »
    I think Nintendo is once again entering their N64 era of hubris.

Wii : Snes :: WiiU : N64?

CygnusZ on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, some good did come from NOA's response to this localization stuff: I finally bit the bullet on importing The Last Window and Another Code: R (Trace Memory 2) tonight.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • CoercionistCoercionist Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Turkey wrote: »
    Operation Rainfall's Twitter claims that Pandora's Tower was confirmed for European release.

Both Last Story and Pandora's Tower were shown off at Japan Expo in Paris. Tower wasn't officially announced to be coming, but it looks very likely.

Coercionist on
    Pokemon Black FC: 3653 9907 8515
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Drez wrote: »
    Except that NoA and NoE use different localizations. Look at Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (North America)/Dark Conflict (Europe) as an easy example. Same game, drastically different localization. NoA could use the European version, but I'm not sure there's any precedent for them ever doing that.

Are you just talking about the title or is the script very different?

But anyway, how about we talk about how fucked up the localization industry is? There really is no legitimate reason why the UK and the US should have different localizations. I don't care if a game comes out here with "spanner" for wrench and "fanny" for vagina or if some British idioms make there way here, and I doubt the Brits care too much if the situation is reversed. That is totally ludicrous. As far as I'm concerned, the less localization, the better.

I don't really know the details, but all the characters have different names between the European and American versions of the game.

Peewi on
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    No way....
    All three games coming to europe? That's crazy! I'm buying them no questions asked, it's an effort well worth my support! I'll put them right next to my copy of Terranigma!

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Cantido wrote: »
    The localization effort has already been made for some of these games though, as they're being released in Europe in English. The money has been spent. They just don't want to release the games here.

I wonder if The Queen's English is really that different from ours.

All three are basically fantasy games, are they not? Wouldn't a Queen's English sound, especially a natural one (rather than bad imitation) likely enhance the atmosphere?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited July 2011
    The localization effort has already been made for some of these games though, as they're being released in Europe in English. The money has been spent. They just don't want to release the games here.

All three are basically fantasy games, are they not? Wouldn't a Queen's English sound, especially a natural one (rather than bad imitation) likely enhance the atmosphere?

Oh yeah, in my opinion Dragon Quest IX had some of the most solid and atmospheric voice acting ever. (Speaking of which, I wonder what all this means for Dragon Quest X...)

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Some Americans absolutely cannot understand British accents (as performed by real Brits). Note that I'm not one of them, but even until we started watching a lot of British comedies together my wife just glazed over sometimes when I'd watch a British tv show. And that's BBC English there.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    See Cheryl Cole on X-Factor.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    There's no way Dragon Quest X doesn't come over. A, it's still SE's game, so they can bring it over if they want. B, NCL is fully behind that franchise. Any doubts of that were erased when Nintendo published DQ VI in North America. If they tell NoA to bring a game over, the game comes over, end of story.

Chris FOM on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    carmofin wrote: »

Oh yeah, in my opinion Dragon Quest IX had some of the most solid and atmospheric voice acting ever. (Speaking of which, I wonder what all this means for Dragon Quest X...)

But Dragon Quest IX doesn't have any voice acting at all. Do you mean some other game?

Peewi on
    edited July 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

But Dragon Quest IX doesn't have any voice acting at all. Do you mean some other game?

Dragon Quest VIII, sorry...

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    edited July 2011
    -Tal wrote: »
    Operation Rainfall isn't over.

Bad wording on my part. I did not mean that the quest to bring these three games to the American market has come to an end, but that we finally received a black and white response from Nintendo on the issue oppose to the usual silent treatment.
    Vegan wrote: »
    So, some good did come from NOA's response to this localization stuff: I finally bit the bullet on importing The Last Window and Another Code: R (Trace Memory 2) tonight.

I also picked up Another Code:R after seeing that Nintendo has no plans to bring certain games to our market. I just need to pick up The Last Window and find a seller that DOESN'T want $80 for a copy of Fatal Frame 4:Mask of the Lunar eclipse. Guess NOA is content with money going to exporters than into their vaults.

RobotSpammer on
    steam_sig.png
  • NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Welp, I doubt it will do any good, but I just did 27 Club Nintendo surveys (that took about two and a half hours to slog through) and included a request for Xenoblade, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower in every single one of the damn things. I don't understand why Nintendo always treats one market like crap, instead of just, you know, treating all markets well, but I don't have a fancy business degree. There's no excuse for how poorly they handle communicating with their fans, but I doubt they'll bother to change until the next time they're struggling and not the market leader.

On the plus side, I'm now only 90 coins away from Platinum for the year already, and I finally got my three month warranty extension for my 3DS, which is nice.

Norfair on
    edited July 2011
    Norfair wrote: »
    On the plus side, I'm now only 90 coins away from Platinum for the year already, and I finally got my three month warranty extension for my 3DS, which is nice.

Days into the new Nintendo Club year and you're already that close to Platinum?
    Impressive. Hopefully this year's Platinum award will be much better than the pin set. Pin set is alright judging by the images but you can't expect fans to be happy with pins when you offered a statue the previous year.

RobotSpammer on
    steam_sig.png
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've been thinking about this and I wonder if that NoA not bringing it to the US has to do with Nintendo's retail policies rather than whether or not the game will make money. Normally a game ships a lot more than it sells and retailers are left with a lot of extra stock which needs a lower price to move. Most publishers will lower the MSRP and refund the difference after a certain point which helps lessen the sting on unsold copies. Nintendo on the other hand is extremely resistant to lowering the price on their games even if there are lots of unsold copies. Look at S&P2. You can find it for $15 yet the MSRP is still $50. It sounds like retailers are taking a serious hit on Nintendo games that don't sell well. Even if the localization itself turns a profit for NoA, retail might end up making no money or even lose money. So now they're looking at Xenoblade/Last Story/Pandora's Tower, three titles they've never heard of or know little about and they appear to be extremely risky for retailers due to Nintendo's strict price dropping policies. This leads them to complain to Nintendo, which leaves NoA with either unhappy retailers or having to change their pricing policies. NoA then decides to just avoid the whole situation by not bothering with the games at all. So ultimately, the games not coming to the US has less to do with making a profit on the games and more to do with preserving their prices.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    No way....
    All three games coming to europe? That's crazy! I'm buying them no questions asked, it's an effort well worth my support! I'll put them right next to my copy of Terranigma!

And I next to Forbidden Siren 2, Gregory Horror Show, Global defence Force and Tingle, since Terranigma is now at a secondary price where it might as well be gold dust

Xagarath on
    edited July 2011
    And Doshin the Giant!

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Don't forget the hidden Suda 51 gem - 'Michigan: Report from Hell'. A game about being a TV cameraman, following vacuous reporters around some sites of supernatural fuckery and trying to get as much footage of them being scared witless as possible without getting yourself or them devoured.

Soon, digital distribution will make all of this a thing of the past! Who am I kidding - games disappear and reappear on the Steam store all the damn time.

Bioptic on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, why did Nintendo buy Monolith again?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So they could make sure to never release any of their games.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Bioptic wrote: »
    Don't forget the hidden Suda 51 gem - 'Michigan: Report from Hell'. A game about being a TV cameraman, following vacuous reporters around some sites of supernatural fuckery and trying to get as much footage of them being scared witless as possible without getting yourself or them devoured.

Soon, digital distribution will make all of this a thing of the past! Who am I kidding - games disappear and reappear on the Steam store all the damn time.

What?! Why did I not know about this?

Artereis on
    edited July 2011
    Artereis wrote: »

What?! Why did I not know about this?

I've had a $5 bid on this somewhere for about a week with no one contesting it so far.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    ...that game sounds fantastic. What's it for?

Ah, PlayStation 2, 2004... and Europe and Japan only.

Whoops, I was reading a different tab than I thought I was. <Z3

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited July 2011
    Oh shit, it came out in Europe (assumingly in English)? My bid is on a Japanese version. D'oh.

According to the Wikipedia entry, even Suda didn't know there was a European release. lol

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    Some Americans absolutely cannot understand British accents (as performed by real Brits). Note that I'm not one of them, but even until we started watching a lot of British comedies together my wife just glazed over sometimes when I'd watch a British tv show. And that's BBC English there.

Right here

My ladyfriend is a Doctor Who fanatic and a fan of BBC shows in general

I really cannot understand what the hell they're saying most of the time

UnbreakableVow on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Right here

The game will have subtitles, so you'll have that.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2011
    These are Americans we're talking about. They're not used to subtitles. :P

Though in all fairness, when I watch Monty Python I have to rewind occasionally too.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • JoJoHoraHoraJoJoHoraHora ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

It was a Suda 51 game? That explains some much about that game.

JoJoHoraHora on
    steam_sig.png
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Man, I can't wait for Xenoblade and The Last Story and Pandoras Tower on the Wii-U.

Honestly, I dunno, this is a ridiculously dumb move on NoA's part, especially with their "We're going to recapture the core gamer" stance.

What's on the Wii release list this year? Zelda? Kirby? Is that it?

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    (lots snipped)
    I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that how Nintendo handles this will have a large impact on their relationship with traditional gamers for the next few years, including during the launch phase of the Wii U. So far they're off to a pretty crappy start. There's still a chance to fix it, but the clock is ticking.

Good post, and I agree. For Nintendo to not sell a fully translated game stateside after an extensive campaign asking them to take people's money just demonstrates a hubris and complete lack of concern for their customers that reflects badly on them and their future products.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a Wii U (I bartered my Wii away), but this whole situation is making that look like a losing proposition unless I want to play Wii U Fit, now with more yoga.

Right here

You have to be, as the British say, taking the piss. I have trouble understanding radically divergent dialects, in my non-native language.

programjunkie on
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Okay... as a gamer living in Japan and able to speak Japanese, which of the three is most recommended?

I literally haven't touched my Wii in nearly two years and haven't played a game on it since Muramasa: The Demon Blade. But I'm intrigued by the thread.

cckerberos on
    cckerberos.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Massive roaming action rpg? Xenoblade
    Linear story-focused "Gears of Final Fantasy"? The Last Story.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //