As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tomb of Horrors IC (Inevitable Corpses)

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Derek, clutching his bleeding arm, quickly backs away from Arjhan as fast as he can! "Arjhan, come to your senses! Snap out of it!"

Move Action: Shift to F11
    Standard Action: Move to G5

Steelhawk on
  • Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Walking over to the raised section to his right, Ferdinand steps to the top and jumps to where Derek just recently was, his impact distorting the ground around him. Standing upright, he lays into the dragonborn with a kick, sending him flying back into the corner. "Well if you can't snap out yourself, we'll just need to knock some sense into you then!"

Move to F14 then jumping with Titan's Step[ to E12. Athletics: 1d20+12: 15 passed,*even forgetting Titan's Steps +5*
    All squares around me counts as difficult terrain till the end of my next turn.

Standard:
    Titan Step vs Reflex: 1d20+11: 26 Hit!
    Damage: 2d8+7: 22, and Pushed to A14

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Sorry buddy," Mike says, as he hurdles the banner and prepares to daze the dragonborn. "This is--well, I guess it will hurt you more than me."

Even mind-controlled, the dragonborn just whirls around and shoves Mike back before he can strike.
    Move to C12, Acrobatics: 1d20+13 23 if I need it for clearing the railing

Standard:
    rolled a 1 on "Dazing Strike"

streever on
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Guys I'll be without power for the next day or two. Can't really access my sheet on the phone, so feel free to bash and smash for me.

Farangu on
  • daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Arjhan tries to clobber Derek, but totally misses.

He then shakes his head. "Oh, I am so sorry," he says, looking at Derek.

If the initiative order is over, Arjhan is going to try to give Derek a huge bearhug (Lay on Hands).

daniant on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    After a slightly tense moment of watching each other, you all relax and tend to the wounds from your little scuffle.

You're about to commence the usual post scrap banter when you all notice Arjhan has gone very quiet and seems quite concerned about something going on under his armour.

In fact, you wouldn't call yourself an expert in dragonborn anatomy, but things look a bit different now.

There's a softening of the features, a change in the way he holds himself, some extra 'things' where you'd swear there were no 'things' before.

In fact did you say how 'he' held 'himself'...?
    Since emerging from the mist, Arjhan is now a lady. If desired an arcana check might reveal more on this.

Don't forget to note any damage taken and surges used in the little spat.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited June 2011
    The warm, comforting and healing bear hug feels good, and Derek was thankful for it. Suddenly, he was very thankful for it. Huh?

"Wait...Arjhan, are you...different somehow?"

Steelhawk on
    edited June 2011
    1. Dragonborn ladies lay eggs. Therefore, despite whatever fevered imaginings might inspire the Wizards artists, dragonborn do not have breasts. Their physical characteristics probably include a softened jaw line and wider hips. Additionally, they are probably, like most reptilian females, larger than the males.

2. Therefore, Arjhan is probably now taller, wider in the hips, and has a higher voice. Besides that, not much is going to change.

3. I find it hilarious that the female player in this game just got her male character turned into a girl.

Arjhan looks at herself for a second, startled. She takes a quick mental inventory, and then kneels.

"Oh my Lady, you have graciously granted me the boon of your holy form! I am the most blessed of paladins to receive this gift of understanding. May I die and be brought closer to you!"

daniant on
    edited June 2011
    "This is wonderful!" Derek enthuses, totally checking Arjhan out. Not in the way one would think however. This is pure magical wonder. "I have heard of the reverse gender trap, of course, its a classic! But to see one actually in use! Wonderful! I must learn more about this. Arjhan, stand still for a moment..."

Arcana = 32

Steelhawk on
    edited June 2011
    Derek has seen plenty of curses before, but this one is a doozy. The standard 'Remove Affliction' ritual might work, but it would have to be combined with the cursed individual entering the arch again, and who knows what other effects a second trip would have?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited July 2011
    "Well." Derek reports. "This curse is a doozy. It can be reversed, but would require magics that I am not prepared for, and I beleive another trip through the portal. I'm not sure how to proceed from here. I like having my manhood large and in charge."

Steelhawk on
    edited July 2011
    Arjhan inspects the arch again for any magical or cultural clue.
    Arcana: 1d20+4 22
    Religion: 1d20+9 14

daniant on
    edited July 2011
    Nothing new to be gleaned from inspecting the arch. Mist continues to swirl.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited July 2011
    An Insight check would give you a chance to 'think like Acerak' re: this room.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited July 2011
    Okay...

Arjhan continues to rack her brain...and apparently being a lady has helped her out in this...
    Insight: 1d20+7 27 Natural 20 anyone?

daniant on
    edited July 2011
    You know that Acerak gets his jollies from people failing at his many traps and puzzles, but it wouldn't be fun for him if there wasn't always a way to get past them. If that slot in the wall requires something being put in there to open up a way forward, then that something would be provided somewhere in the Tomb.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited July 2011
    "Hmm...where would Acerak hide a small piece of something," muses Arjhan. She starts looking around the room for other things that are small and slot-like.
    Perception: 1d20+7 24

"Guys, did you come across anything that would fit in that slot before I met you?"

daniant on
  • Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    "Well we only tried one of the coins we found in here, maybe it's the others? Also I think the gargoyle's collar said something about looking high and low for gold? If the pews are low, let's look high.

A real of fake, whatever we didn't use last time. Perc to aid Arjhan look for anything, specially anything high up.

Perception Aid: 1d20+4: 14

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
    edited July 2011
    The search around the room throws up nothing new or hidden.

However, when Arjhan touches the altar a massive discharge of lightning is released that fills the central aisle between the pews, lightly toasting a couple of party members.
    I'll say each of you has a 1 in 3 chance of having been in the blast. Hit are Terios and Arjhan! Attack vs Ref

1d20+11 → [10,11] = (21)
    1d20+11 → [17,11] = (28)

Both hit for 3d8+9 → [4,6,2,9] = 21 damage.

When the thunder crack and lightning flash have cleared from your ears and eyes you see that the altar has started glow a fiery purple.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited July 2011
    "Oh, good. I found a trap!" Arjhan examines the altar again, but the lightning has fried her brain and she can barely see straight.
    Perception: 1d20+7 8

daniant on
    edited July 2011
    Oh Boy, you just had to...

As Arjhan touches the altar a second time,

There is a moment of a sound so loud it only registers as a deafening silence and your vision is filled with a white light that obscures all visual input as to what you have just wrought.

When your senses return and you manage to stagger up from the floor, the only conclusion you can draw from the destruction around you is that the altar exploded with quite some significant force.

Love that Acerak.
    Kaboom!

Randomly rolled 2/3rd chance of being in the blast. Hit are, everyone! Yay!

Vs Ref:

Mike: 1d20+11 → [7,11] = (18) Miss
    Terios: 1d20+11 → [5,11] = (16) Miss
    Derek: 1d20+11 → [3,11] = (14) Miss
    Ferdinand: 1d20+11 → [15,11] = (26) Hit
    Arjhan: 1d20+11 → [9,11] = (20) Hit

Those hit take 5d8+5 → [8,7,4,4,7,5] = (35) fire damage!

Those missed take half (17).

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited July 2011
    I actually wasn't touching it, just looking at it, but that's okay.

daniant on
    edited July 2011
    You said examine and used a perception check! Oh well. Kaboom anyway.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited July 2011
    I'll be very specific with my words next time. Sorry guys. Anyone want to do some more useful checks so I don't kill anyone?

Arjhan moves over to Terios, patting him on the back. "My friend, are you alright? I am so sorry to do this again."

Your surge value +5

daniant on
    edited July 2011
    "You are an interesting one, to bring so much excitement with you."

Farangu on
    edited July 2011
    Subtly poking things along.

You consider Acerak, truly a twisted individual, nothing would give him more pleasure than to give adventurers an item of value, and then shortly thereafter force them to sacrifice it in order to proceed.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited July 2011
    "Oh, ugh. Didn't we get a magic ring a while back? Let's see what happens if that goes in the slot."

daniant on
    edited July 2011
    "Oh very well," Derek says holding out the ring and magically sending it down the slot. "That was the first bit of interesting treasure we found in here."

Steelhawk on
    Huzzah! New and stable forums means I can actually post updates without giving up in frustration!

As the ring falls down the slot and out of sight, a loud 'Ting' noise is emitted from somewhere. With a grinding sound, the wall suddenly begins to drop. An immense wedge shaped block of stone sinks slowly into the floor, revealing a passageway beyond.

A few moments after the rumbling has stopped and the dust is settled, all the objects you have fed into the slot are ejected from a gap at your feet in the revealed doorway. They seem to have been somewhat roughly handled by the mechanisms of the hidden door. They are now quite two dimensional and utterly useless.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    "What a waste." Derek sighs. "Well gents? And Lady... Shall we?"

Derek is ready to more forwards in our standard marching order. Onwards!]/b]

I'm also ready to go through the doorway. I'm fine going first.

Onwards, then!

edited July 2011
    Woops. No more update emails means I need to be a tad more vigilant.

Stairs ahead lead down to a lower level of the dungeon. After a short walk along a 10ft wide corridor you come a plain door of iron banded oak blocking your passage. It does not yield when you try to push or pull it.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited July 2011
    'ello?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    Terios walks up to the door, begins to fiddle with it some.

I'll be the first foolish victim. Thievery on the door, which (IIRC since I haven't done one yet) you roll, Jam warrior?

Poking about, there are no obvious mechanisms to work any thievery skills on. This may call for brute force.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    "Stand aside there, little man," bellows Arjhan as she shoulders aside Terios and bull rushes the door.

Is that ok Jam?

Strength: 1d20+4 6
    LOLZ

Arjhan bounces off the door and sits heavily on her rump. She shakes her head dizzily.

Athletics rather than strength, but same deal

Unsuccessful though Arjhan was, the door did give a little and with a few bashes from the beefier party members it clatters open revealing another short stretch of corridor to another door. As you are about to move on down to investigate, you are drawn up short as Mike throws his arms out in warning. His eagle eyes have spotted signs of a pit trap filling the width of the corridor in front.

Quite a few of you could take 10 to smash down the door so we'll assume that happened. Corridor is 10ft wide. Pit trap is 10x10 ft.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Could one of the more thievey characters disarm the trap, maybe?

FYI, Streever hasn't posted in my game or this game since June 22nd, so I'm not sure if we should be waiting around for him.