As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

why do you hurt me, school

• MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    At my school there are some 7 ams. Just... why?

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    8AM weren't for me, I know because I had quite a few. It probably would have been different if any of them had be interesting.

Seriously on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    God, I've been done with pre-8am classes since high school. No fucking more.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm done with work by the time kosh rolls out of bed

get a job, hippie!

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Early morning classes own cuz ya done early.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    a four hour long class
    jesus
    only thing that should be that long is labs

Tam on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    will aren't you taking some hellish 4 hour long math class like right now

mate you are crazy

Only 3 hours!

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am not enjoying summer classes.

HellaJeff on
    edited July 2011
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Damn Orik, you gotta read Atlas Shrugged?

I would suggest you just not do the project instead. Drop the class if you need to.

DarkPrimus on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Just talk about how the equivalent tragedy in Atlas Shrugged is that Atlas Shrugged was ever written.

:^:

Also, damn it, I got an A- in Accounting 1B :x

Janson on
    edited July 2011
    is
    is an A- a bad grade now

or did you work hard and thought you got a higher grade

Tam on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I wish I had signed up for the summer classes now. Waking up to a dinky house throbbing with people that never leave and insist on doing everything together and being unable to go anywhere anyway because it is like 100 fucking degrees out is about as fun as summer school so I could have been getting credits instead.

2 more months, I can soldier on. Unless I die of heatstroke. Fucking Valley weather, always 10 degrees worse.

Muse Among Men on
    edited July 2011
    Tam wrote: »
    is
    is an A- a bad grade now

Well, the main reason I am frustrated is that A minuses do lower our GPA, and it is entirely dependent upon the teacher whether to assign pluses and minuses or just straight grades. So what would have been an A - and a 4.0 - with another teacher was a A- and a 3.75 with this teacher

The second reason is the grade was as a result of multiple-answer questions, which I hate (and have attacked plenty in the previous school threads). I feel that had I been tested on my actual knowledge then, yes, I would have received an A

Janson on
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    My Intro to Creative Writing class was at 9:30, but I had to get up at about 8:00 every morning to make the commute.

It didn't help that I usually stayed up until about 3:00 in the morning on most nights.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Janson wrote: »
    is
    is an A- a bad grade now

Well, the main reason I am frustrated is that A minuses do lower our GPA, and it is entirely dependent upon the teacher whether to assign pluses and minuses or just straight grades. So what would have been an A - and a 4.0 - with another teacher was a A- and a 3.75 with this teacher

The second reason is the grade was as a result of multiple-answer questions, which I hate (and have attacked plenty in the previous school threads). I feel that had I been tested on my actual knowledge then, yes, I would have received an A

A- should count the same as a regular A. Seriously, school, how many students actually put in that sort of effort? Don't fuck them over because a few honor students bitch over valedictorian status.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Summah schoooooool!

My final 3rd year course starts today.

Selected museum exhibit survey course thing

This semester, Caravaggio exhibit at the CNAG

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
    edited July 2011
    Dubh wrote: »
    is
    is an A- a bad grade now

A- should count the same as a regular A. Seriously, school, how many students actually put in that sort of effort? Don't fuck them over because a few honor students bitch over valedictorian status.

agreeing with this rather hard right now

but also

I'd rather they just report your damn percentage performance
    like, an 89 and 90 should not be worth 3 and 4 points respectively on a goddamn 4 point scale

Tam on
    edited July 2011
    Agreed.

The UK does not use a four-point scale, but then the UK also does not have a GPA of any kind. What I mean to say is, each subject is looked at individually. So your ineptitude at physics or math does not get a second glance if you're applying for an history degree or hoping to get a job in an history-related field

Janson on
    edited July 2011
    now that system makes at least one lick of sense

Tam on
    edited July 2011
    The only requirements are that for almost any kind of further education beyond the age of 16, you are expected to attain at least a C grade in math, English lit, English lang, and at least two sciences, but those are really very easy

Janson on
    edited July 2011
    ok I increasingly like that system
    you have to get at least a C in your major's classes here
    and you say multiple choice tests are a rarity?

Tam on
    edited July 2011
    Yes they are.

I know I've been over the UK school system before, but it was a while ago.

What I remember of the school system in general (spoilered for long and boring):
    Essentially you have:

High school ages 12-16
    Sixth form college (may be a part of the high school you attend, but in my town was separate) ages 16-18
    University ages 18+

In high school, you leave with GCSEs (general certificate of secondary education). Typically you do between 9-11 GCSEs, depending on what your high school offers, and what extra-curricular activities you do (for example, I did a music GCSE in my own time with a private music teacher)

You choose what GCSEs you will do aged 14. Each school has a slightly different system, but will resemble something like this (this was my high school's system):

English Lit
    English Lang
    Math
    Double Science (where you basically achieve two GCSEs for studying Chemistry, Physics and Biology) OR two of the three core sciences in more depth. When I studied for my GCSEs, my school only offered the double science award; my brother was offered the choice between the double science award or studying two of the three sciences, however)
    A humanities subject (Geography, History or Religious Education)
    A foreign language (Whatever your school offers)
    An arts subject (Music, Art, Home Economics, Drama)
    Physical Education
    A technology subject (Graphic Design, Woodwork, etc.)

I swapped an arts subject for the opportunity to do a second humanities subject, so I ended up doing English Lit, English Lang, Math, Double Science, Geography, History, French, P.E., Graphic Design and Music for a total of 10 GCSEs

Then, to to get into sixth form college, you have to get at least a C grade in the core subjects (the aforementioned two Englishes, Math and two sciences)

At sixth form you can do A-levels in any 3-5 subjects (I don't remember if there are any prerequisites other than the 5 C+ grades). However, you have to choose carefully, as the A-levels you do affect what university courses you apply for. I.e. if you have an inkling that you wish to be a doctor, you better be choosing all science subjects and perhaps math. My mother, for example, did English Lit, French and Latin at A-level, and then decided she wanted to be a vet, so she returned to sixth form and did another two years of Math, Zoology (no longer a subject by the time I went to school) and Physics.

Me, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, so I kept my options open by choosing Ancient History, English Lit and Math.

Then universities will have different grade requirements depending on what you are studying and where. I decided to study architecture, and at my school of choice, Sheffield, the grade requirements were ABB. I also had to put together a portfolio, as I wasn't taking an art A-level. In the end, I got accepted with AAC (the C was in math, I got a boyfriend in my math class and... yeah, it was all my fault), but I believe two points were in my favour; a) the C was only two points off a B (curses!) and b) I had a pretty good application/portfolio/recommendations from teachers

You can get grades all the way down to E, so yes, there are universities (although the quality of said universities is dubious) that will accept you with DDE or similar grades. Most, if not all, medical schools require AAB at least, so the subject you plan to do also plays a factor.

At university, you do three years of whatever subject you have chosen (you may have a few 'free' credits - I never did - in which you can study a subject outside your major, but this again is entirely dependent upon what your chosen subject is. Architecture is a pretty involved course; 39 hours a week of architecture-related subjects). Full-time students have little choice but to take 45 credits a semester, so unless you have to repeat a year, or you are doing a special four year degree, everyone graduates after three years.

Marking:

I suppose I may have had a couple of multiple-choice papers, but I can't remember if I did for certain. If I did, though, it certainly did not make up a significant percentage of my grade.

Also: GCSEs and A-levels are standardized across the country! So, if you are in the south of England, you take exactly the same English paper, and it is sent away to be marked by exactly the same board of examiners, as an English paper written by someone from the north of England.

It does mean you don't get your grades until 2 months after you have completed your exams, but IMO it's a MUCH fairer system. It means your A is the same as anyone else's A, it eliminates teacher favouritism, and it also allows for a better judge of teaching systems. For example, when two thirds of my Ancient History teacher's class got As, it wasn't because she was an easy grader, but because she was an excellent teacher who had prepared us well for the exams.

Courses like history and geography are far more social based in the UK. For example, in our history exams we wrote in great detail about how past events/periods affected people, and we very rarely had to remember any specific dates of battles, etc.

The BBC has a really great GCSE revision guide (of course, being web-based, the 'practice' tests are all multiple-choice, but they wouldn't be in the actual exam) that shows what is taught at secondary level:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/schools/gcsebitesize

(Oh damn, I just looked at the current English Lit requirements and now I am so angry! Jane Eyre was not an option when I was at school! And I had to study The Tempest, which is an awful, awful play)

I don't remember coursework making up more than 40% of my grade. Attendance does not factor into your grade at all (although it will affect you in other ways) and there are no chances for extra credit.

Lots of writing in exams! In Ancient History we had to write four essays in three hours, phew!

Also, exam taking is a LOT more stringent in the UK! For example, a cell phone going off = automatic failing. You have specific exam rooms - usually the PE halls, because you need to accommodate a whole year's worth of students in one place. Desks are scrubbed clean. You CANNOT enter before the teachers allow you to file in (in accounting, I saw one girl cheat by writing formulas on her desk before the teacher entered, and then covering it up with her pencil case). No pencil cases are allowed, unless they are see-through. Desks have to be a certain width apart (I've seen it measured) and 4+ teachers will be on duty, patrolling the rows of desks to ensure that no one is turning around or gesturing at their classmates.

Foreign language exams are aural, oral and written.

Oral exams for foreign language/music/drama are taped, so samples can be sent to the examining boards to ensure that teachers are marking fairly (they are also one instance where your teacher DOES mark you)

Samples of coursework are also sent to the examining bodies, to ensure teachers are marking fairly

A lot of the time, teachers are unable to tell you what specifically to be revising, because they themselves do not see the exam papers before you take them

The only study notes ever permitted in any exam I took in the UK were ones we'd made in our books for English lit, and even then you can only really highlight a few select quotes, because the exam could ask you write an essay on anything!

Janson on
  • SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I swore off early morning classes after a hellish semester of sleeping through econometrics

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

edited July 2011
    Early morning classes rule, frees up the whole day

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
    edited July 2011
    well now I kinda wish I could/had do/done that

Tam on
    edited July 2011
    yup

Staleghoti on
    edited July 2011
    Well, there are benefits to the US system too!

- More flexible, MUCH more flexible. Great for someone who works full-time, like me! Also, great for someone who has no idea what they want to do, or discovers they hate their chosen subject. Would've been much better for my mother, who had to re-do her years at sixth form in order to attain grades in the right subjects.

- US grade boundaries are higher, which probably makes up for the many ways in which you can gain extra marks (i.e. through good attendance/extra credit assignments). UK exams may sound tougher, and in many ways they are, but the boundaries are lower to adjust for this - i.e. an A is usually 80%, and sometimes even 70-75%

- US exposes you to a greater range of subjects; many subjects I haven't touched since I was 16, and some, like RE or drama, I haven't touched since I was 14. Also, it would've been really nice to have been able to take, say, a history or geography class to break up the monotony of architectural subjects

Janson on
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    UK exams may sound tougher, and in many ways they are, but the boundaries are lower to adjust for this - i.e. an A is usually 80%, and sometimes even 70-75%

I had a few teachers in college who had different grade scales.
    Was so weird being elated at getting a 68%

skettios on
    edited July 2011
    Haha, yes!

My brother went to med school, my parents were both at veterinary school, and at those you are overjoyed to get above 40% (a passing grade).

Oh - and another advantage of the US school system?

US employers pretty much only recognise US degrees. :P It's tough, especially when nearly all UK degrees are only three years, and US employers often specifically state 'four years' required.

Janson on
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The lab I'm teaching this summer has a maximum of 24 students.

Started with 21 on my roster the first day of lab. Down to 10 students now from people not showing up/dropped/purged. I am happy with this result.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Being a lab instructor seems like it is probably the most horrible thing

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
    edited July 2011
    I imagine there are worse things.

Baidol on
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I mean, like, genocide

But it's close

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
    edited July 2011
    On one hand, they don't know what they're doing because, you know, this is the lab course where they learn what the fuck and that should be remembered.

On the other hand, things would go much smoother for them if they did the reading and followed instructions.

Baidol on
  • MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Pffft, do the reading. What do I look like, a student?

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
    edited July 2011
    Common sense would also be nice.

Last week, there were instructions to heat some water on a hotplate. In someone else's section, a student proceeded to measure out the requisite water in a graduated cylinder, possessing a plastic bottom, and put it on the hotplate.

Baidol on
  • ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    in high school chemistry, a friend of mine was playing with matches

and lit his own pants on fire

during the fire safety lecture

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Workshop classes are good like this too.

I remember when a guy thought it would be a good idea to stick his tie (we had to wear ties to school back then) into a metal buffer mounted to a bench (basically a cloth wheel turning at about 3000rpm).

Luckily for him, all it did was pull the knot really, really tight and the tie snapped. They had to cut the tie off him to get it off his neck. The metalwork teacher ended up attaching it the wall at the front of the class as a reminder not to be a fucking idiot

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I registered yesterday for the fall. Kind of excited. REALLY excited to transfer, moving over to BC from Alberta. Anyways, I'm taking:

Intro to Canadian Lit
    Shakespeare: Comedy & Romance
    English Novel 1660-1750
    Topics in Philosophy: Philosophy and Science Fiction

I have a feeling I'm gonna do a lot of reading.

GreasyKidsStuff on
This discussion has been closed.