As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

America, Who Will Survive In America?

• MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm just trying to carve out a decent life

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    "don't worry, be happy"

-Jesus

I'm fairly sure that was Bobby McFerrin.

Hunter on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    Hunter wrote: »
    "don't worry, be happy"

-Jesus

Who we all know is actually Jesus.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited July 2011
    Stale wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    After a couple years of getting fucked hard up the ass, I'm crawling out of financial abyss.

It's amazing how quickly you can go from being flush and secure to being ramen and canned tuna broke as shit.

women, amirite?

Vapid money vaporizing vaginas

I've tried to explain to my wife that she needs to make more money now that she's got a masters degree and went through a rigorous (expensive) licensing program as well. It has not gone smoothly. Apparently she thought working for a living was going to be me killing myself to get ahead and scratch out a piece of the pie in my own field while she kind of coasted by at non-profits with minimal output in regards to responsibilities and long hours.

When I express my displeasure with her lack of earning vs expense paid to achieve her degrees and license vs her spending habits...well then, it's a recipe for argument time.

Hunter on
    edited July 2011
    "don't worry, be happy"

-Jesus

Who we all know is actually Jesus.

Black Jesus is Obama and you know it.

Hunter on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    ready to road warrior this shit up

let's go

who wants to be in my gang

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I work in the gold industry, so we manage to get by as everyone else goes to shit because in times of financial uncertainty, people invest in gold. Meanwhile, a friend of mine finished his finance and accounting degrees recently and got a job in an insolvency company. They've been doing very well for themselves

Serious question, have any of you homps who are struggling to find work thought about moving overseas for work? I've met quite a few yanks recently, in a range of professions, who have moved here to Australia to find work

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    After a couple years of getting fucked hard up the ass, I'm crawling out of financial abyss.

It's amazing how quickly you can go from being flush and secure to being ramen and canned tuna broke as shit.

women, amirite?

I've tried to explain to my wife that she needs to make more money now that she's got a masters degree and went through a rigorous (expensive) licensing program as well. It has not gone smoothly. Apparently she thought working for a living was going to be me killing myself to get ahead and scratch out a piece of the pie in my own field while she kind of coasted by at non-profits with minimal output in regards to responsibilities and long hours.

When I express my displeasure with her lack of earning vs expense paid to achieve her degrees and license vs her spending habits...well then, it's a recipe for argument time.

Perhaps a visual aid is required.

Put two piles of potatoes on the table, representing your incomes. Now subtract the cost of education and licensing from each.

Once she reaches negative potatoes, just start beating her.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
    edited July 2011
    I would move to a different country in a heartbeat for better pay or even if it's a more positive economic outlook. My problem is I also have a spouse that would need a job, I have a kid so there's schooling and all that, and I have a house I'd have to sell in a weak market.

Hunter on
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tef wrote: »
    I work in the gold industry, so we manage to get by as everyone else goes to shit because in times of financial uncertainty, people invest in gold. Meanwhile, a friend of mine finished his finance and accounting degrees recently and got a job in an insolvency company. They've been doing very well for themselves

Serious question, have any of you homps who are struggling to find work thought about moving overseas for work? I've met quite a few yanks recently, in a range of professions, who have moved here to Australia to find work

Yes.

I was offered a position in Romania last year, and have been offered jobs in Germany and the UAE in the past.

I actually really wish I'd gone for the UAE job.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
    edited July 2011
    I did think of you while typing that up, hunter, because I realise that it's fucking hard for blokes who have families. Not impossible, but pretty difficult.

Honestly, the Australian mining and construction industry really, really needs workers. Skilled labourers but also quite a few positions for unskilled labourers like technicians and tradesman's assistant and the shortage is only going to get worse as everything starts to pick up again.

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    edited July 2011

women, amirite?

Perhaps a visual aid is required.

Put two piles of potatoes on the table, representing your incomes. Now subtract the cost of education and licensing from each.

Once she reaches negative potatoes, just start beating her.

At times it's like arguing with my kid.

She doesn't make bad money, if you only count say her BS degree. Once you add the masters and the licensing stuff, and the continuing education credits for her to maintain said credentials, well then...it's time to pony up and get a big girl job. That usually means you have to do management as well as basic job functions. Also you may need to work more than 40 hours and out during the week. She doesn't really want to do that. So she blames the economy, she blames me for being to critical, and generally we go round and round.

Hunter on
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I did think of you while typing that up, hunter, because I realise that it's fucking hard for blokes who have families. Not impossible, but pretty difficult.

Honestly, the Australian mining and construction industry really, really needs workers. Skilled labourers but also quite a few positions for unskilled labourers like technicians and tradesman's assistant and the shortage is only going to get worse as everything starts to pick up again.

Is there a large market for network technicians? I wouldn't mind living somewhere else for a while.

godmode on
    edited July 2011

My company was looking into investing in montmorillonite clays in Australia right before the economic downturn. It's a shame I never got to take a trip there to look into the inustry, and it's pathetic that we dropped the project so quickly because there are so many uses for those kind of clay minerals.

Hunter on
    edited July 2011
    godmode wrote: »

Is there a large market for network technicians? I wouldn't mind living somewhere else for a while.

Check out migrationexpert.com.au. A geologist I work with used them to get a job over here.

You should also have a look at at this link as it describes the most common visa used for overseas workers.

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am earning enough to live comfortably with roommates, but not nearly enough to start contemplating supporting a family.

Unfortunately Mori's never going to earn enough to support one, either, so I'm currently working on gaining a few extra qualification so I can move up in my field, and he can (continue) to be a house-husband...

Janson on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The people who were careful with money before this happen will surive.

The people who learn from the experience, change their lifestyle, and stop wasting money might survive.

The people who are just waiting for more bailouts and handouts and dont change will not.

I'm far from 'rich'. I barely have a positive net income every month, yet I have managed to be responsible with my money and have no debt. (I rent). Its not the rich guys fault. Its the poor guy who decides he needs to spend 300 bucks on a rim for his car, or chooses to take a morgage he knows he cant afford (Or was too ignorant to do the math or ask someone else to do the math. If anything im glad there are greedy rich people out there because they are the ones that spend money to give me a job so they can make more money in the long run.

I'm so sick of the stupidity that is class envy. There are far too many people homeless because they were, and still are just plain STUPID with money. I'm all for helping the people who need it, I'm all against the idea of continuing to give money to people who dont even try to improve there situation.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    just gotta pull on those bootstraps, know what I mean?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    i ripped my bootstraps off, fashioned a whip out of them and am now running a successful bdsm parlor

mensch-o-matic on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

dont you have like half of christchurch there yet

speaking of which I found someone on facebook that had posted a primary school photo and clicked the names and for some reason a bunch of the girls are in perth

and the really popular pretty girl is kinda ugly now ha ha

aaaand a bunch of them have kids and theyre all 20-21

L|ama on
    edited July 2011
    i ripped my bootstraps off, fashioned a whip out of them and am now running a successful bdsm parlor

Hello I would like to subscribe to your newsletter

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    marraige and children sound fucking retarded, america

you guys exclusively talk about the shit like a painful and stupid transaction you do nothing but resent

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited July 2011
    This might just be me, but I refuse to accept financial advice and/or criticism from a person who can not spell mortgage correctly.

Hunter on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    marraige and children sound fucking retarded, america

you guys exclusively talk about the shit like a painful and stupid transaction you do nothing but resent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAKaJE4gjYg

Brolo on
    edited July 2011
    having a child

i can't differentiate between smoking cigarettes and having a kid

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited July 2011
    anjin I can never tell who you're trying to talk to

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Kids are expensive. I'm so glad I had just the one.

Hunter on
    edited July 2011
    i keep careening back and forth between really really wanting a kid before i turn 30 and shuddering with horror at the thought of birthing/caring for one

mensch-o-matic on
  • ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

that's okay

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
    edited July 2011
    people who refer to parents as 'breeders' can choke on this and that fuck etc etc

mensch-o-matic on
    edited July 2011
    i keep careening back and forth between really really wanting a kid before i turn 30 and shuddering with horror at the thought of birthing/caring for one

Wait, I just had a brilliant plan.

Time share kids.

Hunter on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

do you have a husband that makes lots of money

Brolo on
    edited July 2011

it's pretty broad

hence the use of "you guys"

or the analogy of children and smoking is more along the lines of a general statement

bow at the posting showmanship

Calamity Jane on
    edited July 2011
    HUNTER I WOULD LOVE TO OWN YOUR ADORABLE CHILD FOR LIKE AN HOUR AND THEN FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE AND TIRED AND STOP WANTING THAT
    Rolo wrote: »

do you have a husband that makes lots of money

y

yeah sure!!

mensch-o-matic on
    edited July 2011
    money totally means your kid'll never be beaten or mistreated

it'll mean it'll be fat but it's cool because you'll be able to afford diapers

the funny thing is, if you can remember the bristol palin commericial about her being better off and that a life without her parents money would've been hell, i'd think one of the worst things a child could do would be to be born into the fucking palin family

Calamity Jane on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    money totally means your kid'll never be beaten or mistreated

it'll mean it'll be fat but it's cool because you'll be able to afford diapers

the funny thing is, if you can remember the bristol palin commericial about her being better off and that a life without her parents money would've been hell, i'd think one of the worst things a child could do would be to be born into the fucking palin family

That makes you kinda dumb.

I can think of a lot of worse things.

Plenty of better things, no doubt

but a very long list of worse things.

Being born with a cleft pallet, for example.

Ain't like Sarah Palin's the only crazy grandma in the world.

Or even the only crazy grandma who is also famous.

sarukun on
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    Berk wrote: »
    dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

Beasteh on
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    the cleveland browns

Squall on
    edited July 2011
    no, it's pretty valid

that'd fuck up pretty much anyone's life

i mean, her children for example

they're uh, they're sure something

Calamity Jane on
    edited July 2011
    maybe you're right. i guess you could be born in sudan

that'd probably be about it in terms of trumping being a palin child

Calamity Jane on