As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any local Austin folks?

• Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am the only one under 21 on that spreadsheet. So alone.

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Austin doesn't fit into the Texas stereotypes at all.

rhylith on
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Marth wrote: »

Nope. Rockn' 20 over here.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Nope. Rockn' 20 over here.

All right! Let's go down to the burger shop and get some malts like good, responsible non-drinkers!

Marth on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Austin is like a lot of cities in America, it's not as weird as all the signs around claim. What makes it really unique is that it's a small bright spot of free thinking and cultural diversity in the middle of a state that otherwise hates those things.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I've lived here all my life and I've decided that you can sum up most Austinites as cultured whitebreads. It's not a bad thing, but I think it's fairly accurate. I think it fits for me.

Marth on
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ok, I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge. Anyone need to split a room with me or need a ride from the DFW area?

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    rhylith wrote: »

Eh, there are actually a lot of places in Texas that don't really fit the stereotype. Marfa is a little art community in the desert. Kerrville has a folk festival where Willy himself handed out pot a few years ago. Texas has its diversity. I actually love this state a lot... I just stay out of Houston and DFW. That's where the rich republicans tend to gather.

GRMike on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've been in Dallas briefly and it was cool. Austin and San Antonio I heard were like coastal cities, so my expectations are pretty high.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    GRMike wrote: »

Eh, there are actually a lot of places in Texas that don't really fit the stereotype. Marfa is a little art community in the desert. Kerrville has a folk festival where Willy himself handed out pot a few years ago. Texas has its diversity. I actually love this state a lot... I just stay out of Houston and DFW. That's where the rich republicans tend to gather.

I'm stuck in Houston cause of my career. Even then that's not so bad as long as you actually live inside the city.

Now if I had to live a little south in Ron Paul town...uuuuugh.

rhylith on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I don't mind Dallas so much. I wouldn't slit my wrists if I had to stay here forever.

But I really want out.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    I've been in Dallas briefly and it was cool. Austin and San Antonio I heard were like coastal cities, so my expectations are pretty high.

Same here. I'm NYC based, and my girlfriend is from Texas going to school here. After graduation we realized that we probably can't afford to live in NYC, as much as we dig it. She wants to move back to Texas but keep the big city mentality that NYC affords her, so we've been considering Austin as a potential place to live for a while now. She wants to apply to grad school there, too. And I'm studying television/radio production, so I really hope my "skills" would be put to good use there. That is, if I don't find something amazing in NYC first, which is doubtful.

edit: Also, my boss is from Texas. He moved to NYC a few decades ago and "whoops" just liked it here so much that he forgot to go back. But he says Austin and those places are really great places to live and "make money", if people are into that sort of thing.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    So we should probably go to a food truck. It would let us stand up and, like, talk to each other and stuff. Which is okay.

I see there are a few good ones on South First.

Marth on
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Don't be fooled. Austin isn't a "Big City", it is just a cosmopolitan city when compared to DFW. There are lots of small town attractions here... and the infrastructure. Don't get me started on traffic. Yuck.

GRMike on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    So we should probably go to a food truck. It would let us stand up and, like, talk to each other and stuff. Which is okay.

I see there are a few good ones on South First.

In the heat?!!?? It's too hot at 7pm for that. Too hot!

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited July 2011
    I want AC or tons of shade!

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Outside can be fine, but there's not enough shade around those food trailers, and I think sitting space will be limited.

Call me crazy, but if BBQ is desired, Rudy's(and Salt Lick but it's faaarr) would have the best seating and it's still damn tasty. I can't really think of anywhere else that would handle so many people well, for food that is.

Edit: Possibly the County Line, though I remember less seating than Rudy's. Also possibly Sholz Garden for combination of good beer and BBQ/Burgers, though the shade will suffer.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Anywhere indoors will have AC. It is about 98 in the shade right now... so I'd stick with AC. I still say Dog and Duck or Opal Divines.

GRMike on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I think Olive Garden would be the best choice.

Marth on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    When I get home to a real computer I'm going to look for a red robin in Austin. Red robin is food of the gods. Fuddruckers is inferior.

Also my boss let me off for that day. On the "reason" line of the request form I put "partying in Austin with guys". He approved the time off immediately. I think he wants me tO have more of a social life.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    GRMike wrote: »

Anywhere indoors will have AC. It is about 98 in the shade right now... so I'd stick with AC. I still say Dog and Duck or Opal Divines.

Or this. I'm open to new experiences.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Margarazzi wrote: »
    When I get home to a real computer I'm going to look for a red robin in Austin. Red robin is food of the gods. Fuddruckers is inferior.

Also my boss let me off for that day. On the "reason" line of the request form I put "partying in Austin with guys". He approved the time off immediately. I think he wants me tO have more of a social life.

There's one on east 290.

Marth on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Khoo is speaking my language, the heat out here has been beastly.

Henroid on
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    San Antonio has been pretty nice and very laid back.

Yukira on
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm just saying once more that East Side Cafe fits the bill for all your needs and diets. I don't have a stake in the profits, btw. The baked brie is incredible and even the blue plates beat most expensive Austin restaurants. Plus, hey, organic. That's like, what all those stoner kids in Austin love, man.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    It's organic!

Marth on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Organic is good.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    John can you so your aunt if she could accommodate a group 15-20 large on that evening? The time is flexible to the later part of the evening.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    GTSavvyGTSavvy Registered User new member
    edited July 2011
    Pluckers Wing bar on South Lamar has a fairly large 'enclosed' Patio area that can accommodate large parties well depending on how busy it is at the time; they also stay open pretty late and serve both food and beer. The area isn't in AC so to speak but is usually got a couple fans going and ends up being relatively comfortable even on hotter days. Only downside will be they are likely to be pretty packed at 7pm on a Friday.

There's a Rudy's BBQ on 360 in the southwest part of town that has an absolutely massive indoor and outdoor seating area that can seat a huge number of people (even inside in AC) that is open til 10 on Fridays. Mighty Fine Burgers & Fries on Brodie also has a large indoor area (in AC) and is also open til 10. I don't think Rudy's or Might Fine serves beer, but I'm not a big drinker so I don't really pay that much attention to be honest. Could be wrong.

There are a few other places I can think of that could likely seat a party that size but tend to be notoriously bad about not splitting checks, are a bit more on the expensive side, might have us sitting outside, or other issues. Examples would be BJ's Brewhouse ('American' food with tons of beer choices), Canoli Joes (buffet italian), Chuy's on S. Mopac (Tex-Mex)

GTSavvy on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Rudy's does serve beer. It's also kind of cafeteria-style, where you walk up to the counter, order, pay, walk away with your food, find a table and eat. No need to split up a bill or deal with the usual waiter/tip stuff. Convenient for groups. As long as the whole group likes meat. Not the most vegetarian-friendly place.

And seriously, it only gets cool enough to be outside after midnight. But anywhere in Austin is going to have A/C.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    why don't ya'll go to stubbs?

fuck, emory quinn is playing. that makes me almost not wanna go deal poker.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I'm easy. I'll go for anything that's not seafood.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    What's wrong with seafood?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I can't eat seafood either (not kosher). I don't think we have many good seafood places here, anyway.

Marth on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

If you're not originally from a coastal area it's really difficult to get good fresh seafood prepared correctly, so a lot of people never develop a taste for it or get turned off by bad experiences with it.

rhylith on
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Whoever suggests anything other than BBQ should be be ridiculed by fingers pointed at. How often does Khoo get to Texas to experience the place where Beef Brisket BBQ is the best in the world?

If Rudys in Austin are like Rudys here in SA, then that's not a terrible idea, as long as we don't have any vegans.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

If you're not originally from a coastal area it's really difficult to get good fresh seafood prepared correctly, so a lot of people never develop a taste for it or get turned off by bad experiences with it.

Also allergies. I can either eat lobster or breathe. I can't do both.

Marth.... you're Jewish..............? You just got about 100x sexier to me.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Margarazzi wrote: »

Also allergies. I can either eat lobster or breathe. I can't do both.

Marth.... you're Jewish..............? You just got about 100x sexier to me.

stunnedschaub.png

smileschaub.jpg

Marth on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Whoever suggests anything other than BBQ should be be ridiculed by fingers pointed at. How often does Khoo get to Texas to experience the place where Beef Brisket BBQ is the best in the world?

If Rudys in Austin are like Rudys here in SA, then that's not a terrible idea, as long as we don't have any vegans.

http://www.barbecuestation.com/contact.html

rudy's has lost it's appeal to me

but i will forever love this place

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    How close is rudy's?

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.