As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[XBOX] Using active usb extender on xbox WIRED controler

fencatfencat Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
Heya, hopefully this is the right place, was not sure if it should be under just technology or games and technology, if its wrong I apologies and ask mod to move it please.

Now to my problem, me and some friends are going to hire a movie theater to play games in, mostly, we're going to play fight games like SSF4:AE and MK9. Now we got our nice and snassy SF4:TE sticks, the problem is they are wired.

The other problem, which one could say is the actuall problem, is in the theater, from where the xbox will be connected to the system, to where we will actually sit is quite a bit further then the cord from the xbox is.

Have anyone tried using an active USB extender to extend their cabling from the arcade stick to the actuall xbox? I've been eying up some 10m cables that would be perfect for this, but I dont know if they work, and I kinda want to know this before I throw down the money and proceed with this plan.

Does anyone have any experience in using cable extension on xbox controllers in general and arcade sticks in particular?

steam_sig.png
fencat on

• harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well Amazon sells xbox extension cables, but they're only 3m long. That's the limit for low-speed devices, and the max length for active high-speed devices is 5m. That's not to say that longer cables won't work, but it'd be on a case-by-case basis. I haven't actually tried with long USB cables, this is just from the USB manual.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • fencatfencat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well from what Im reading on the product description it says the following

Overcome USB's 16 ft limit with this 33 ft extension cable with a built-in active repeater for USB 2.0 signals. With a maximum transfer rate of 480 mbps, this cable is a great way to transfer data over unusually long distances. It features a male USB connector on one side and female on the other and so works perfectly as an intermediary between cable runs. Daisy Chain If you need more than 10 meters, you can get multiple extension cables and chain them together. Depending on what you are doing, you can typically connect three to four active extension cables with perfect results. In the video below we test daisy chaining three of these cables for a total of 100 ft extension in conjunction with a digital camera, and four together for a total of 130 feet to transfer a 718 MB file in 53 seconds.

which sounds like it should work fine..

fencat on
    steam_sig.png