As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] The Renaissance of Phalla (Tie Game)

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So the game is over right? I'm pretty sure I'm just the last villager or something.

Egos

Because nothing is telling me you aren't evil.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well, I'm not surprised we didn't actually get anyone who was Mafia... but I have to agree with TehSpectre. Even if it turns out he actually is one of the Vigilantes, keeping him alive (and JaysonFour) means we spend at least a large part of the day worrying about or thinking about TehSpectre and JaysonFour. Already the first vote of the day was targetted at dealing with leftover issues from the last day. We could end up chasing our old "leads" from Day 1 (well, Day 2 votes based on Day 1 information) for two more days if the Vigilantes keep striking out randomly.

Not to say they're doing a bad job. They both at least put in an order--that's a start! :P But, I think TehSpectre's reasoning (and, at least, it's my own) is that if the Vigilantes had taken out all three suspicious characters from Day 2, we'd at least have those issues settled. And, we'd have information we could mine based on who defended whom, who was clearly ignoring the front-runners, and so on.

Now, though, we've got information from Day 2 to sort through as well as the remnants from Day 1. We're just hoping for luck at this point.

Hopefully the little network with Savant can sort things out, at least. Godspeed!

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    So the game is over right? I'm pretty sure I'm just the last villager or something.

Egos

How about what is telling you Egos is evil? I mean, really... we've got two suspicious folk from Day 2, there's already been a vote cast for the day based on the suspiciousness of the target as argumented the day before, and you come out and make this random-ass vote for Egos? What the heck, buddy? Pay attention much?

haha. In a non-asshole way... really, why Egos? He hasn't really been on anyone's radar. Voted Day 1 by TehSpectre as a retaliation vote for past grudges and then he didn't even garner one vote on Day 2. This is well past the time for nonsense grudge shenanigans.

LaOs on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    LaOs wrote: »

Egos

How about what is telling you Egos is evil? I mean, really... we've got two suspicious folk from Day 2, there's already been a vote cast for the day based on the suspiciousness of the target as argumented the day before, and you come out and make this random-ass vote for Egos? What the heck, buddy? Pay attention much?

haha. In a non-asshole way... really, why Egos? He hasn't really been on anyone's radar. Voted Day 1 by TehSpectre as a retaliation vote for past grudges and then he didn't even garner one vote on Day 2. This is well past the time for nonsense grudge shenanigans.

Because I missed yesterdays vote and I wanted to make sure I got a vote in before forgetting again, and I didn't want to spend the moment reading through theories of theories. Ok its a place holder.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Clarifying it as such is much better than framing it as a nonsense grudge--or even lacking the grudge. It is just after vote close, so I'm not really holding it against you, because there's not been a chance for much discussion for the day yet, but still... I don't like the smell of it. :P

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I will say, I approve of the Vigilante going for oldmanken. He turned out to be a Villager, yes, but he was semi-active and that's where a lot of Mafia find a cozy hiding place. (He had 1 vote on Day 1 for stever777, bringing him into a tie with 4 votes each with warban, and he did not vote at all on Day 2. To date, including sign-ups, he's only had 2 posts in the thread.)

So, you may have been burned once with that strategy, Vigilante, but it may not be a bad one to keep in mind. (Although I still think clearing our suspicions from Day 2 would have been the most helpful.)

LaOs on
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, Drez was on your list LaOs, what do you think of his post at #635?

Seems very middle bandwagon and non-committal. I have seen villagers do that often though and get hung for it.

Also 21st century was kinda on TehSpectre's case yesterday as well as warban... if I read his posts correctly.
    I think it is unlikely the mafia would just directly off their accusers though.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    don't know odn't care

Oats

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Go go network!

Hopefully that gets set up quick.

101 on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Also 21st century was kinda on TehSpectre's case yesterday as well as warban.

Ah yes he was the nutter on TehSpectre's case. Coming up with conspiracy theories. I just remembered the dude had a mspaint avvie. Then it's pretty bloody apparent what the mafia's agenda was. Take out two very vocal people in the sub wagons to ensure that suspicions remained on the runner ups. Or even more suspicion I should say.

If it needs further explanation. It would be like "you kill people who are gonna prove themselves if they are on a wagon early or really push for it" on a guilty party. So my guess is they are trying to do a fake-out of sorts saying 'whoops you guys got two of them' (even though we may not have/probably didn't) and we want to start getting rid of verifieds (who aren't really verifieds).

If that makes sense.

Alternatively they found 21st annoying and Savant a future nuisance.

Egos on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    oooOOoOOO!

I was killed by TehSpectre! I think! Maybe not... It was dark!

I was killed because I was ONTO SOMETHING! Probably! I think! Maaaaayyyyybeeeeee!!!!

OOOoooOOOoooOOOO!!!

21stCentury on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    OoooOOOo!

Also, Lady Eri, after the game is wrapped up, will you reveal who the mafia whacked respectively or are you leaving that to us to find out?

OooOOooO!

I only played one Mafia game before and it was years back, so I don't know the etiquette...

ooOOoOOO!

21stCentury on
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well, this is definitely interesting.

Gonna go check through yesterday's posts, brb.

Cythraul on
    Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, Drez was on your list LaOs, what do you think of his post at #635?

Seems very middle bandwagon and non-committal. I have seen villagers do that often though and get hung for it.

Also 21st century was kinda on TehSpectre's case yesterday as well as warban... if I read his posts correctly.
    I think it is unlikely the mafia would just directly off their accusers though.

I was at dinner with friends at the time and very rudely browsed to PA from my shitty BlackBerry Storm (which was an ordeal in and of itself) in front of them, so I posted what I could without thinking. I have no way to prove that, of course, but that's where I was. You are right that hopping onto a safe-bet bandwagon late in the day and then hopping off of it right after because of some "sound logic" allowing oneself to distance themselves from a trainwreck bandwagon is something that mafioso do.

But the truth is, if I had had more time, I would have posted the same thoughts lonelyahava did, but I would have gone a step further to say this:

I think there is this false dichotomy in phalla between suspicious/non-suspicious, and it works towards the mafia's advantage. There is also an entire class of activity that I would describe as lazy/ignorant/stupid. Generally speaking, the mafia is the most attentive during a phalla, or at least more so than a random vanillager. They have more at stake, plus they have the benefit of more information, which gives them a better foothold to interpret what is going on in the thread.

They are less likely to do something that looks accidentally suspicious. A vanillager is quite a bit more likely to do something out of laziness/ignorance/stupidity that looks suspicious. And thanks to the common mindset here, those people are always going to be railed against and the mafia almost never has to prod the village to do it.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I skimmed yesterday's posts and I mainly saw a bunch of wharrgarbl about tied votes. No mafia as experienced as kuhlmyeye is going to do that, and if I had had the time to see what everyone was talking about, I wouldn't have voted for him in the first place. Think about it: You are sticking your neck out to remove a villager, or at best a special, but you have no way to know if this villager is a special. If you do what kuhlmyeye did, you are essentially trading one of the very limited lives of the mafia for, no offense, someone that is statistically likely to be inconsequential to the game.

So I'd rather always assume that people who perform actions like that are just being lazy, ignorant, or temporarily stupid. And I think we should all at least endeavor to do the same because I'm sure the mafia would like nothing more than the village to jump on people for quasi-suspicious behaviors that were just the product of not thinking very clearly.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    damn drez

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    damn drez

I didn't mean to offend kuhlmyeye in particular with any of that. I would define "heeeey this seems like a good idea!" when it really isn't as "temporary stupidity." Hell, I've done some stupid shit before as a vanillager, stuff that's gotten me killed. The question is whether or not it is right to focus on people that do that, because I think there is a much higher ratio of vanillagers doing something stupid than mafia doing something stupid. That's the only point I'm trying to make.

Drez on
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ugh. I just went to re-read yesterday's posts and find leads based on who the mafia targeted last night, started reading 21st's posts and now I have a headache.

I'll be back later, would someone else try and glean something from his posts? :P

Cythraul on
    Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If you really want to vote Drez, don't do it for throwaway posts. Do it because he tied up the 3rd place vote yesterday with only an hour and a half 'till vote close despite the entire day being spent talking about how that was such a bad idea.

That said, my hunch is that he is not mafia and it would probably be a goose chase. Unless someone thinks of something better, my vote is likely going to try and spur some of the low post counters into participating more. More participation = more chances to screw up if they are a mafia.

FecklessRogue on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    If you really want to vote Drez, don't do it for throwaway posts. Do it because he tied up the 3rd place vote yesterday with only an hour and a half 'till vote close despite the entire day being spent talking about how that was such a bad idea.

That said, my hunch is that he is not mafia and it would probably be a goose chase. Unless someone thinks of something better, my vote is likely going to try and spur some of the low post counters into participating more. More participation = more chances to screw up if they are a mafia.

I did what now? I tied a third place vote? What the does that mean? All I know is that kuhlmyeye had like 16 votes and JaysonFour had like 10. I'm not even sure those numbers are right.

I voted for kuhlmyeye because he was the first name I really saw and people were complaining about him. But then when I quickly skimmed a few other posts and saw that kuhlmyeye was probably a villager, I retracted it and put my vote one a different name I saw people talking about. I readily admit I wasn't paying attention to the thread, but that's because I haven't been around for the last two days.

I think I may actually vomit if I read the word "tie" anymore in this thread. We keep talking about ties, or tying the vote, and we will lose.

But since I need to understand what's going on here, I'd like to know what you mean that I tied the third place vote.

edit: And yes, I agree that low participation is definitely one mafia tactic.

Drez on
  • Options
    FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Your post at #664, there was a vote count right above you and an additional vote, leading to JaysonFour having 9 and TehSpectre having 10. Then you voted and tied it up.

Once again, my gut says that you were just having a busy day and were not pulling shenanigans. Also, I think your comment about us spending too much time on villager-suspicious behaviors and not enough time on mafia-suspicious behaviors was a good one.

FecklessRogue on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    yeah, i'm most suspicious when i'm a vanillager, mainly because all i have to go on are villager rantings and the vote record, which are basically the worst sources of info.

i also care much less about sounding suspicious, since, you know, villager. not really anything to lose.

which is to say, placeholder vote on pablo_price.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Your post at #664, there was a vote count right above you and an additional vote, leading to JaysonFour having 9 and TehSpectre having 10. Then you voted and tied it up.

Once again, my gut says that you were just having a busy day and were not pulling shenanigans. Also, I think your comment about us spending too much time on villager-suspicious behaviors and not enough time on mafia-suspicious behaviors was a good one.

Fair enough. I really wasn't paying attention, and there seemed to be a general shift toward JaysonFour - I kind of expected to see people shift from kuhlmyeye to JaysonFour at that point, but I just didn't have enough information at that point, and not enough time to read through the thread, to see if that was a reasonable expectation. I voted for JaysonFour over TehSpectre only because I hadn't seen anyone say anything about TehSpectre's post or vote history that made me suspect him of anything.

Drez on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am going to stick with !JaysonFour.

Of course in phallas past when I get my heart set on someone they almost always end up being a villager.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Kuhlmeye was a villager. I'm truly stunned.

I'm seeing a lot of "placeholder" votes, which seems odd when we've got so long till vote close. I don't want to get into the village mindset where we cede all thinking and control to the network, but are we currently waiting for direction from Savant? Or are we going after JaysonFour again, to clear up lingering Day 1 business?

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Placeholding on !Lucedes, apologies for missing the vote yesterday.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jason Todd wrote: »
    Kuhlmeye was a villager. I'm truly stunned.

I'm seeing a lot of "placeholder" votes, which seems odd when we've got so long till vote close. I don't want to get into the village mindset where we cede all thinking and control to the network, but are we currently waiting for direction from Savant? Or are we going after JaysonFour again, to clear up lingering Day 1 business?

I haven't put in a placeholder myself, but seeing as it is the weekend it makes sense that people would want to put in an early vote somewhere just in case they can't get around to it later on in the day.

Personally, it's not that I'm waiting for network direction, but I can't really find anything to go on. It's still relatively early on and with such a large village, it's making keeping track of things pretty difficult for me. Maybe I'm just not used to main-sized games.

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have this strange suspicious feeling about !LaOs. It may be the "reasonable" post so soon after the start of the day, and the so-called approval of a villager being killed.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    !LaOs is as good as any right now.

Serves you right for defending me. Jerk.

(Cesca and I are obviously in league)

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh joy my first Phalla post! Who do I vote for...

!vote JaysonFour

Why? I dunno, seems like a good idea to me.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    viggy vig vig vigg
    gggggg

Zandracon on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Zandracon wrote: »
    viggy vig vig vigg
    gggggg

!Zandracon

Crazy bastard.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    By the way, that's a joke. I'll almost definitely change my vote later.

Drez on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I guess Savant decided to take the day off?

Well without any real direction I'm just going to vote for !JaysonFour again.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Drez wrote: »
    By the way, that's a joke. I'll almost definitely change my vote later.

Man what the fuck does that Drez guy have against Zandracon? Suspicious. We should form a half assed bandwagon on him for that.

Oats on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    For lack of a better target, JaysonFour

Greeper on
  • Options
    Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    These are all terrible votes

TehSpectre

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm back, I've had multiple specials contact me so far. Might as well have them all contact me at this point. Oh and mafia, don't bother contacting me pretending to be a special. I'm not going to fall for that one.

Continue to discuss amongst yourselves for the vote target for now. We've got 10 mafia still so the more vote records we can accumulate the better.

Savant on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    These are all terrible votes

TehSpectre

Yeah I'm starting to get suspicious of TehSpectre now, myself.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ten mafia? Good grief, that's a lot.

I would think a good place to start looking for mafia would be the psuedo-wagon that almost got me and Spectre tied up last night. Personally, I believe it was a fishing expedition by the mafia to look for the inactive vig that didn't fire on Night 1 (may you be hit with a large pigeon from two stories up, by the way).

If we do some digging into that late-night bandwagon, I'm sure we'll find a few mafia in there.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    JASONFOUR again.

Unless something baller happens today.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot