As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[4E] ODAM - OOC thread (2groups1thread)

HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Critical Failures
Lost Chronicles of Odam: The Piece That Doesn't Fit

"The Elf-Father said,

'Let there be light so that mine children may see;
let there be light to warm the hearts of all Good Peoples;
let there be light so that the lurkers in the darkness are exposed'.

The Elf-Father was a fool."

— Tariath'il'Catos, traitor to the elven Ark Drin.

Introduction:

This is recruiting for a 4e Dungeons and Dragons game for a party of three to five people. Anyone can apply, regardless of experience, blah, blah. There are a few spots reserved for if certain people decide to take them, but I doubt they're interested. If you're not involved in another play by post game, please note that with your application.

That all said, this game has a little bit of history behind it. A long time ago, Horseshoe ran a little game called...
namesofoldkl6.jpg

Though I want to take a chance to go through and neaten things up, we'll be basing things roughly on that world. Something that needs to be noted is that the campaign previous was a very collaborative effort. Everything was permitted, more or less; and there is some burden on the players to help and create the world that they are adventuring in. This is no less true this time around.

The Particulars:

Standard setup. This is a play by post game. Character sheets can go on Mythweavers or Orokos or whatever you prefer to have them on, really, so long as I have access to it. Rolls can all be made on Invisible Castle or Orokos or wherever. I'll be looking for a post a day minimum, and I'll try to update as frequently as I can, but I make no promises.

Party Order: Whatever the heck you feel like, folks.

I'm looking for some second level characters, and I'll only look at the first two submissions that you make - so choose wisely. The only thing that I should probably note is that I have a preference for the more humanoid races; humans, elves and gnomes, sure. Less likely to pick monstrous races, but if you want to submit one, go ahead anyway.

Submission should include:
  • A link to the sheet (Myth Weavers or Orokos)
  • The character's name.
  • A picture of your character - optional, for creating a token. If you don't post one I reserve the right to pick the silliest one I can find.
  • Personality traits, mannerisms and appearances. This can be as long or short as you like.
  • Your availability to post in the fourms (frequent? infrequent?) and what games you're playing or running in here.

Note about alignment: man, I don't care about alignment.
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=39918 here's the first IC thread (it's a fun read [totally not because i played a he hur hur])

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=39484 there's the first OOC

There's no deadline or anything right now for submitting sheets, though I'll set one soonish.

With this all said, click the banner up there, do some preliminary reading, and I hope to see some sheets soon.

I'm sure I'll remember some other things to edit in here soon. Like...

Submitted Characters

Hylianbunny on

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Interested. What kind of liberties can be taken with what isn't in the wiki? I'm thinking of dwarves in particular

Grog on
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'll be reading up on this tonight and probably making a character, most likely two.

Edit: Gonna be gnomes since the slate is mostly blank.

Anialos on
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Grog - as many liberties as you'd like. :P I know that dwarves were something that we didn't really explore at all, so really it's a blank slate ready to be worked on.

Hylianbunny on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Wow, that wiki is painful to navigate. I'll have a submission up later this evening I hope. If not, then first thing in the morning when I get back from work.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    hey buddy

i would like to do this thing :D or at least help out

Super Namicchi on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Interested, but yes, that thing is very difficult to navigate. I don't know what this world is or what it's about. Perhaps you can just sum it up in a paragraph or two?

TheBog on
    edited July 2011
    i guess it would have helped if he posted a link to the OP of the first OOC thread; essentially chronicles of odam was a dnd game rolled into an entirely collaborative world-building experience. when it started we had a GM (horseshoe) and a handful of players (including myself and HB) and a couple Wikiteers whose job it was to flesh out the world that we created.

how it would go is GM would introduce a scene and through our own posts and just playing the game we would make references to things, places, whatever, and it would be the wikiteers' jobs to go in and make those pages and then elaborate on it. the best thing i can recommend is just read the wiki, as odd as it is, and accept that there are HUGE gaps because we didn't get more than a small piece (the piece our characters interacted with directly, more or less) defined.

it's still very much a blank slate.

Super Namicchi on
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I love blank slates with just enough background for me to play in!

Anialos on
    edited July 2011
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=39918 here's the first IC thread (it's a fun read [totally not because i played a he hur hur])

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=39484 there's the first OOC

Super Namicchi on
    edited July 2011
    I tried digging around for the OP of the first OOC thread, but got lazy and wasn't able to find it. Still planning on pulling things off of that wiki and putting them somewhere legible and navigatable.

Arc is one of those 'certain players' that has a spot reserved. And speaking of - if you're looking to play Tyr again, Arc, we'll have some background stuff to discuss. I'd certainly love to have you, though, even if fantasy isn't really your show anymore. :P

The old threads are probably a very good read to get a feel for how things are going to go down, so I'll throw a link to them in the OP.

Hylianbunny on
    edited July 2011
    maybe not Tyr himself, but definitely an elf of clan Amatar!

you can get with me in a PM or on irc or wherever is best for you

Super Namicchi on
    edited July 2011
    You will get a PM when I see an aegugh-damned character sheet! :P

Hylianbunny on
    edited July 2011
    deja vu

Super Namicchi on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am quite proficient with setting up wikidot wiki`s, but they use a syntax different from traditional wiki`s.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • XSVforceXSVforce Registered User new member
    edited July 2011
    posting interest, looks really interesting. I will be putting up a character in a few days

XSVforce on
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dhorn 'Bristle' Teglaig

Storytime
    A rush of air. A thump. Something soft and broken underneath.

"I DON'T CARE IF IT'S THE HELM-REGENT'S FINEST ROBES BLOCKING THAT GRATE, YOU'LL GET BACK DOWN THERE AND UNCLOG IT!" The clang of the metal hatch served to punctuate the Drainlord's command, but Dhorn wasn't listening. Lifting the mess of his arm from beneath him he tested the fingers on that arm. Only a couple of fractures, probably. He had a stronger left anyway.
    Spitting a bloody tooth onto the water slicked stones, the young dwarf rubbed his smooth chin. The grate in question would be easy to reach if he got to it before things really started to overflow. Easier to set some secondary channels into it to force the blockage through. Of course, that would flood at least a quarter of the tradeyard, but he could find an empty drainoff to shelter in. It's not like the drainlord would break both his arms. Dhorn was the best rat he had.

~~~

The chuckling stream quietly reclaimed the silence that had fallen after the clanking march of the troupe had ceased. One of the armoured dwarves, his angular helm catching what little light there was in the cavern, motioned silently. Advancing to the lip of a steep drop with another, less ostentatiously armoured dwarf, the rest of the squad huddled in the dark and the cold. A conversation started back up.

"But 'e says we've all got thuh same oba- thuh same abor-"
    "Oppurtuni'es" Baerk corrected his brother. "Ain't like the ol' times, ennyone can 'old an office these days. They got 'lections fer it and all, you seen 'em."
    "Yeah. Lections." Bayurn nodded thoroughly in agreement with his sibling.
    Dhorn rolled his eyes in exasperation. "Look, we may have been raised under the grate, but that don't mean we're stupid. But you think some peak merchant's gonna want a drain rat like us in charge? Nah. He'll take his business and 'is vote to where the coin is. The greybeards 'ad the power in your nan's stories, they 'ave it now. Just cus they ain't stampin' clan names on everythin', don't mean everyone's got a fair shot alluva sudden."
    The trio stopped whispering suddenly at another silent gesture. "Teglaig" captain Silvain's summon echoed with contempt. Dhorn's teeth ground beneath his helm as he advanced to the lip's edge.
    "By Urrak's estimation this stream ends simply in a porous runoff. But I need to know if it's part of a passage to the cliffs. Get the ropes ready".

With the thick rope fastened around him, Dhorn made sure Bayurn had a good grip of it before easing himself over the lip of rock. The darkness whistled ominously below him, but before he could descend a sharp tug snatched his attention back upwards. The captain's helm was a silhouette above him, but the man's voice was clear as day and calm as darkness. "They open our fathers halls to dogs like you, and you repay them with conspiracy? You never deserved that armour, you beardless rat."

A rush of air. A splash. Something hard and broken underneath.

Dhorn's eyes flicked open in the murky water. Chasing panic from his mind, he took quick inventory. Left arm numb, right arm burning, a few ribs cracked clean but his head wasn't too bad. Legs... stuck. Twisted under a dislodged boulder, the armour pressed painfully into his shins. Damn that Bayurn, too thick to keep a sodding secret. Fumbling clumsily at the plates of his armour, his right leg wrenched free. Or was it Baerk? Smart enough to know he'll get a reward, dumb enough to go to Silvain for it. Pounding against the boulder, that treacherous panic creeping into his lungs again, the dwarf tore his foot free, the twisted plates clinging viciously to his bleeding leg. Bursting through the surface and paddling over to the edge of the underground lake, Dhorn dragged himself onto the shore. Right he thought time to see if Silvain was right about that passage.

Background
    Every few decades (though rarely documented) a beardless dwarf is born. Cast out of clan and family, Dhorn ended up where most detritus does in Drenchpeak. The drains. Growing up in the maze of sewers, canals and turbines that powered the fortress' forges and machinery, he was put to work as rat catcher. Though the dwarven clan system had supposedly been replaced with a fairer democratic system, being raised clanless (and therefore bearing the name 'Teglaig') meant he had no family ties to pull him (literally) out of the gutter. While the old families continued to dance their dance of political intrigue, Dhorn toiled beneath them, eventually growing strong enough to join the delve teams. After a squad mate betrayed his controversial views to their captain, the beardless dwarf found himself out of a job and, unwilling to return to the hypocrisy of Drenchpeak, he turned his sights to the world below.

Appearance
    Short and broad in a typically dwarven way, his lack of any facial hair has confused many. His short, spiky hair (along with his hostile temperament) earned him the nickname 'Bristle'. His heavy dwarven armour is an unadorned dark grey, it's shoulder plates and boots stripped down to allow a little more freedom of movement. Having never relied on weapons that he has neither the patience nor resources to maintain, Dhorn prefers to use his heavy studded gauntlets to pummel any threats into submission.

Personality
    Brash and uncivilised, Dhorn speaks his mind and deals with the consequences. Naturally has a problem with authority figures, but also holds respect for those who've obviously earned their position. However, he is no idealist, and knows that some people have to get stepped on. He'd just like to make sure it's not him.

Not sure if you wanted anything as extensive as this. Drenchpeak is based around the idea that a fortress has expanded to the extent where it needs a ridiculous amount of power to keep it going, so it's harnessing the torrential rain of the peaks (so I figured this would be in the Greywall mountains near the sea) for hydroelectricity. Dwarven society itself is shifting into something similar to the industrial revolution, with huge city populations that need to be controlled as a workforce, hence the 'democracy' supposedly replacing the clan system.

Added a theme because I wasn't sure if you wanted them. Isn't essential to the character though, so it can go if you like.

In these two pbps

Grog on
    edited July 2011
    Looks fine to me. I don't have a problem with themes - if you'd like to use 'em, use 'em.

Hylianbunny on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Out of curiosity; are the races listed on the wiki the only ones that are available to play? Obviously, I could work with that. I'm just wondering how open this is to completely new additions like that.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited July 2011
    The races listed on the wiki are only the ones that we started to explore, if that. You're certainly welcome to use other races as you choose and we can start slipping them into the world 'canon'.

Hylianbunny on
    edited July 2011
    Varis, Skyknight Squire

Still looking for an image.

Appearance:
    Varis is tall for an elf, but not exceptionally so. His frame is thin and willowy, as is typical for his race, but it is covered with solid, lean muscle, a legacy of his intense training regimen. His long, brown hair is pulled back into the thick braid traditional for squires. Similarly colored eyebrows frame golden eyes that reside in a youthful face.

His dress is that of a Skyknight squire; black tabard emblazoned with a gryphon, light shirt underneath and cloth breeches. His feet are clad in thick boots, well scuffed from climbing and clambering around the hull of his Ark. All of his clothing is second or third hand, since he has no family to finance a proper set of equipment.

Personality:
    Varis feels a lot of pressure to be a serious, upstanding prospective Skyknight. This manifests as a seeming detachment, and a tendency to follow rules and orders to the letter rather than embracing their spirit. On the rare occasion that he lets his guard down, Varis is a goofy kid with a big heart who is really, really confused about his place in the world. He finds himself adrift, without any true role models among the Skyknights or any close friends to confide in. His primary focus is on becoming a full Skyknight, even though some part of him doubts that it will ever happen. Though his eyes mark him as one of Cam's chosen, he isn't the only one with doubts as to his true connection to divinity.

Background:
    Varis doesn't know who he was born to, or exactly when. His earliest memories are of the cramped, smelly orphanage below-decks on the Ark and the old couple who ran it. The husband, a machinist, took the Cam-touched youngster under his wing and taught him how to handle a crowbar. Though Varis didn't show much of a gift for the large-scale engineering process, he was a capable climber, able to reach spots high and low that the old man could no longer get to, and he had a pronounced talent for manipulating less imposing mechanisms like locks.

His days at the orphanage weren't bad days, overall. The old man was something of a harsh taskmaster, though, and his golden eyes didn't win him any friends amongst the other children; they were all jealous of his assumed destiny as part of Cam-Ithel's clergy. He got in quite a few scraps during those days, and got rather good at running from fights when he could and defending himself when he couldn't. It was during one of these flights from his fellow orphans that Varis took flight. Literally.

In what was otherwise a routine leap over a bulkhead and into the larder hold of the Ark was preempted by Varis soaring upward toward a hatch in the main deck of the ship. Unfortunately, that hatch was closed and Varis spent the next hour dangling from it before someone with the proper tools was finally summoned to open the hatch and rescue him.

Understandably, a golden eyed orphan boy flying through a crowded area gets quite a bit of attention. By the end of the day, he had been removed from the orphanage and placed in the care of clergy, who were then tasked with figuring out exactly what the boy's abilities portended. Though there were a number of different takes on the situation, swinging wildly from "the second coming of Cam-Ithel" to "a magic-using abomination that must be expunged from the Ark for the safety of all on board", eventually something of a consensus was reached and Varis found himself a rather young squire of the order of Skyknights.

Being a squire, it turned out, was a lot like being an orphan. Someone else decided what you wore, what you ate, where you slept and how you spent your days. The only real difference as far as Varis could tell was that instead of crawling around the underbelly of the Ark and wrestling with various mechanical contrivances, he was crawling around the upper reaches of the Ark and wrestling with other squires. At least here his golden eyes weren't an issue, though his talent for flight has led to many a bout of jealousy from his fellow squires.

Abilities:
    Varis is turning out to be a pretty terrible Skyknight. He has shown no talent for formal weapons training, and he still can't get a gryphon to let him ride it, much less command it in battle. The only thing that really distinguishes him as far as the upper-level knights are concerned is his ability to fly, and even that is too intermittent and unreliable to be much more than a curiousity.

What the knighthood fails to understand is that you have to back Varis into a corner in order to get him to really shine. From his early encounters with jealous orphans, he learned to defend himself in a rather unknightly fashion; by braining anyone who gets too close with his crowbar. Indeed, when he is in his element (surrounded, crowbar in hand), Varis is a terror to behold. Hooking, dragging, blocking and smashing, he fights with his chosen implement as though it were an extra limb that he happened to be born separate from. Though it may not be a lance or a longsword, anyone on the receiving end of his attacks with it would be hard pressed to play down its effectiveness. Unfortunately, swinging a crowbar from gryphon-back is somewhat looked down upon, leaving Varis to heft his shield and lance in an ongoing vain attempt to be a proper knight.

The skills from his former life have stuck with him, even though the skyknights have stopped just short of beating them out of him. He can still pick locks and manipulate mechanisms, and he has even developed a knack for alchemy.

Mechanics:
    His weapon is a club, which is a stand-in for a crowbar because those don't have combat stats. When he uses his Centered Breath flurry of blows, he is literally hooking an enemy and dragging them around himself, or smashing them hard enough that they stagger away. The flight fluff is backed up with his Swift Flight utility power, and the jump from Crane's wings.

I picture Crane's Wings as him awkwardly flying at someone and smashing into them, while Five Storms is just him lashing out with the crowbar in an arc trying to smash anything that gets in its way.

He's really not a terribly kung fu monk. More of an experienced brawler with some slightly supernatural characteristics and a primary weapon that doubles as a tool.

Right now, I'm in;

Worldship
    Sharn Noir

Though the unfortunate truth is that Sharn Noir hasn't updated in quite some time.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited July 2011
    as the man who designed the elves, i give your character a hearty thumbs up zed, you grokked exactly how elves should roll in Odam

Super Namicchi on
    edited July 2011
    which reminds me, HB are we following the same restriction that the original ODAM followed of "once a race/class combo is picked it's gone"?

Super Namicchi on
    edited July 2011
    Changed my mind on double-gnome, making a dorf for this right now. Couple people from my RL game should be registering to app for this soon.

Anialos on
    edited July 2011
    which reminds me, HB are we following the same restriction that the original ODAM followed of "once a race/class combo is picked it's gone"?

Haven't really put much thought to it. I'll tentatively say that no, there's no restriction of race/class combo. If you've got an argument otherwise though I'd be more than happy to hear it. :P

Hylianbunny on
    edited July 2011
    Torbera Frostfoe, Dwarven Invoker of Erathis

Summary:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Torbera Frostfoe, level 2
    Dwarf, Invoker
    Background: Recent Life - Spreading the Word (+2 to Religion)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 11, Wis 20, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 11, Wis 18, Cha 8.

AC: 18 Fort: 16 Reflex: 13 Will: 18
    HP: 30 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Religion +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics, Arcana +1, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +8, Endurance +5, Heal +6, History +1, Insight +6, Intimidate, Nature +6, Perception +6, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery, Athletics

FEATS
    Invoker: Ritual Caster
    Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
    Level 2: Implement Expertise (Axe)

POWERS
    Invoker encounter 1: Thunder of Judgment
    Invoker daily 1: Invocation of Ice and Fire
    Invoker utility 2: Wall of Light

ITEMS
    Ritual Book, Frost Fury Execution axe +1, Chainmail of Resistance +1, Amulet of Protection +1
    RITUALS
    Hand of Fate, Amanuensis
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Background:
    Torbera was born in Frostcragg. The dwarven city lay deep in the Greywall Mountains, generation after generation of the sturdy race cut off from the rest of the world except for the occasional trader. It was these traders that brought news of the Hycran Decree. The dwarves were all too happy to add this to their enormous backlog of by-laws and clan regulations. However, when news of the Sky Sorrow Edict reached their ears, there was great debate. The War of Suppression, as the victors call it, was a civil war fought between those who supported the banning of magic of all sorts, and those who would see its use in at least the divine arts. In the end, the martial powers prevailed. For many years any child born with any spark of magic in them has been thrown into the Great Forge. For many years there has been resistance.

Torbera's parents were members of the resistance. Her mother a cleric who suppressed her magical abilities to heal behind her work in the hospital. Her father a paladin, passing himself off as warlord or knight to those who would suspect anything. It was with great joy they welcomed into the world, and great sorrow. Torbera's gift was not so easy to hide. Any sort of challenge or sport would soon find her glowing with a power no fancy words could hide. So they did what they could, they gave her to the scholars. Within the walls of the library things were calm.

That is until Borallon arrived. He was a haughty young noble, keen on getting his way, with a "taste" for helpless scholars. His eye soon found Torbera. It was after closing when he came. Deep in the library he pinned her against the wall, his large axe and armor set aside. No need to use those on a scholar afterall. If only he had known. It was around noon the next day when they found him. His skull a smoking ruin, his armor and axe gone. All that was left was a note.

"Én awkened. Az elnyomás véget ér. Civilizáció nem maradhat anélkül, hogy a hatalom az istenek. Az istenek fog jönni az Ön számára. Eljövök érted. Május Nagy Forge táplálkozik gyermekeink többé, mert tele lesz a színültig a saját holttestét."

-Torbera Frostfoe

Dwarven:
    I have awkened. Your oppression will end. Civilization cannot stand without the power of the gods. The gods will come for you. I will come for you. May the Great Forge feed upon our children no more, for it will be full to the brim with your corpses.

She has been on the run since then, taking out those that would oppress her kind when she can, fleeing when she cannot. The axe she took from Borallon is still with her, a momento of her awakening. All who will listen are told of the power of the gods and civilizations need to heed them.

Appearance & Mannerisms:
    Torbera has dark brown hair pulled back into a tight bun. Her large axe and chain armor allow her to blend in with martialist, only battle gives away her gift. The axe glows light blue, a thin layer of frost covering the head.

Most of the time Torbera is as happy and helpfull as anyone you could hope to meet. All to happy to preach to those who will listen she does not however go around spouting her gospel willy nilly. Well aware of some areas following such rules as her home did, she keeps her faith under wraps until she is comfortable revealing it. The true terror is revealed when her way of life is threatened. Although she has a particular affinity for divine magic, she will protect anyone using any sort of magic for good, and slay those that use it for evil. They are the reason her kind became oppressed in the first place.

Theme:
    Theme-Outlaw
    Surprise Strike Outlaw Attack
    You follow up on the advantage granted by a surprised or
    distracted enemy to strike a crippling blow.
    Encounter F Martial
    No Action Special
    Trigger: When using a basic attack or an at-will weapon attack
    power, you hit an enemy that is granting combat advantage
    to you.
    Effect: The enemy is dazed until the end of your next turn.

Picture:
    Torbera.jpg

Anialos on
    edited July 2011
    Misty Wildtongue, Gnome Fey-pact Warlock

Summary:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Misty Wildtongue, level 2
    Gnome, Warlock
    Build: Deceptive Warlock
    Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast Charisma
    Eldritch Pact: Fey Pact
    Background: Gnome - Fomorian Captivity (Stealth class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 11, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 20.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 11, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 18.

AC: 17 Fort: 12 Reflex: 16 Will: 18
    HP: 28 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Stealth +8, Streetwise +11, Bluff +11, Arcana +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +1, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering, Endurance +1, Heal, History +4, Insight, Intimidate +6, Nature, Perception, Religion +4, Thievery +1, Athletics +1

FEATS
    Level 1: Improved Misty Step
    Level 2: Rod Expertise

POWERS
    Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast
    Warlock encounter 1: Witchfire
    Warlock daily 1: Curse of the Dark Dream
    Warlock utility 2: Assassin's Bane

ITEMS
    Rod of Corruption +1, Repulsion Leather Armor +1, Amulet of Protection +1, Sickle
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Background:
    Misty has a dream. Well I suppose the dream belongs to all gnomes, but Misty takes it quite seriously. She wants to be one of The Honored Dead. Not just one of them though, oh no, she wants to be the best one.

Misty got this burning ambition whilst under the thumb of the Formorians. Cruel ugly creatures, they never treated her or the other gnomes very well at all. So when a fey spirit came to Misty offering her the power to break free she took the deal without asking too many silly questions about eternal souls and whatnot. It was with great glee that she slew her captors. Being bad never felt so good.

Now that she is back in "proper" gnomish society, she uses her small bit of fame to gain access to every bit of info she can that will help her grow stronger. For example, the training one of the druids provided her on animals. Since then a small black cat has slinked alongside her, providing distraction when she is being sneaky. No name has been given to the animal yet, but she'll think of something.

Mannerisms & Appearance:
    Misty has short cropped bright red hair under her dark cowl. Her dark leather armor is covered by loose fitting robes of dark crimson. For someone her size, she cuts quite the imposing figure with her black cat in tow.

Misty gets along with anyone she thinks can help her gain power. Anyone who tries to take her power gets burned. Anyone who insults gnomes or goodness forbid The Honored Dead is burned again. Every now and they you might catch her whispering to herself. Pay this no mind, as she does not enjoy her conversations with the fey being interrupted.

Theme:
    Animal Master
    Distracting Attack Animal Master Attack
    At your command, your animal friend darts forward to bite,
    rake, or peck at your foe.
    Encounter F Martial
    Minor Action Close burst 5
    Requirement: Your animal minion must be within 5 squares
    of you.
    Target: One enemy in the burst
    Effect: You gain combat advantage against the target until the
    end of your turn.

Cat Level 1 Minion Skirmisher
    Tiny natural beast XP 25
    HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion. Initiative +6
    AC 15, Fortitude 10, Reflex 14, Will 11 Perception +1
    Speed 7 Low-light vision
    Traits
    Cat’s Stealth
    While within 10 squares of the cat, the cat’s master can move
    up to half his or her speed without incurring the –5 penalty to
    Stealth checks for moving more than 2 squares.
    Skills Athletics +2, Stealth +9
    Str 4 (–3) Dex 19 (+4) Wis 12 (+1)
    Con 11 (+0) Int 2 (–4) Cha 11 (+0)
    Alignment unaligned Languages —

Anialos on
  • lodwilklodwilk Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm going to bed right now, but I have an elven executioner that I would love to try out. His info should be up by tomorrow.

lodwilk on
  • starchaservastarchaserva Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jerod Black Human Rogue

Summary
    Human, Rogue
    Background: Gladiator (+2 to intimidate)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 16, Con 12, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10.

AC: 17 Fort: 15 Reflex: 18 Will: 12
    HP: 29 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Stealth +10, Acrobatics +10 Athletics +9, Perception +6, Intimidate +8, Thievery +10, Streetwise +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Endurance +2. All Else +1.

FEATS
    Rogue: Wrist Blade Proficiency
    Level 1: Light Blade Expertise
    Human: Improved Initiative

POWERS
    Piercing Strike
    Ripose Strike
    Easy Target
    Torturing Strike
    Heroic Effort
    Tumble

Equipment: Wrist Blades, Leather armor.

Appearence
    Despite the overall youth of his visage, Jerod carries on his face the look of someone who has seen much in a short amount of time. Perhaps even too much. He would be considered handsome, save for the various small marks and scars that dot his face and body. His hair is black and cut short to the scalp, and he always carries himself with an eye as cautious as his step. In size and shape, he appears to be slightly above average for a human, although the strength and speed he posseses is obvious.

Background
    Jerod never knew where he was born, only where he was raised. Sold at an early age into martial service, he spent most of his use training in a martial unit that bordered on gladiatorial training. After winning his first few underground matches in a fashon that was equal parts efficiency and brutality fast he was purchased to work as a bodyguard for a minor noble. The noble recently died of old age, releasing the still young man into the world, where he now seeks re-employment with whatever group could best use his abilities.

Personality
    Though his outer look appears as cold and solemn as a graveyard, the heart of a true warrior beats within Jerod's chest. Secretly, he dreamed about visiting the foreign cities and countries he heard about in stories, and further, he dreams of meeting new opponents to test his mettle against. Always keeping new friends at arm's length, he is slow to befriend and equally slow to trust, though he will scarecly desert an ally that has earned his respect.

starchaserva on
    edited July 2011
    as the man who designed the elves, i give your character a hearty thumbs up zed, you grokked exactly how elves should roll in Odam
    I appreciate the stamp of approval. I sifted through all the information I could glean from the wiki for that.

OptimusZed on

edited July 2011
    Is it safe to assume that Eladrin are essentially the same as Elves in this setting?

lodwilk on
  • KimmerynKimmeryn Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Nawara Slee

Background:
    Nawara was raised by her human mother. Growing up near an orc tribe, the females of the village were often defiled. It was by such a union that Nawara was conceived. She and her mother were treated as outcasts and moved to a small house on the edge of the forest. Her secluded upbringing made it possible for her to explore the wilds freely, with little ridicule, as each jaunt into town resulted in judgment. It seemed she belonged nowhere. Her orc nature would uncontrollably spill out, and her greatest desire was to learn to control her chaotic urges. This is how she came across the monastery of Ioun. These monks practiced the art of controlling one's self. She has spent hours training, mostly in silence, learning to control the dualistic traits within her.

Description:
    Nawara is on the taller side of her half-orc brethren at 6'2". Her greenish tinted skin is bulging in muscles, she is visibly powerful. Her raid hair flows down her back, flowing free and wild. She is often seen with leaves or forest debris in the tangles. Gray cloth spills over her shoulders covering her ample chest and below her waist modestly. She has wadded up more cloth and tied them to her feet as makeshift shoes. She appears unarmed.

Image:
    225px-Halforc2.jpg

Mannerisms and Personality:
    She is quiet, reserved, and introspective. Waves of chaos sometimes seem to wash over her and she must visibly concentrate to take control of herself. She is wary of strangers as her experience makes her expect judgment and ridicule.

General Build Information:
    Centered Breath Monk (Striker)
    Centered Flurry of Blows
    Unarmed Combatant
    Unarmored Defense
    Improved Monk Unarmed Strike
    Pointed Step Style
    Half-Orc Resilience
    Furious Assault
    Dancing Cobra
    Five Storms
    Drunken Monkey
    Fighting Fury
    Masterful Spiral
    Swift Charge

Kimmeryn on
    edited July 2011
    i think the original concept had just a few core races, and i remembered discussing a piece of the setting involving the fae courts where the eladrin featured prominently

up to you whether or not you want to stick to that though

Super Namicchi on
    edited July 2011
    So, what's the deal with pistols?

Are we going to try to represent those mechanically in the 4E version?

Because I think playing a gun-dude could be kind of interesting. Definitely a departure for me.

OptimusZed on

edited July 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    So, what's the deal with pistols?

Are we going to try to represent those mechanically in the 4E version?

Because I think playing a gun-dude could be kind of interesting. Definitely a departure for me.

Think we'll just run with a reflavoured Hand Crossbow for a pistol. I'm not opposed to working with homebrew content, though, so if you have a suggestion you'd like to try out we can give it a try and see what works.

Hylianbunny on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Zeitgeist (a 4th Ed campaign currently in development by ENWorld) has released a player's guide to their campaign.

Why is this relevant? Well, the setting of Zeitgeist is steampunk, and has some rules regarding the use and inclusion of firearms. I recommend taking a look (under their free Intro package on the main page).

Just my two cents.

TiamatZ on
    edited July 2011
    Here is my character application for Dichondrial, if you feel that there is anything missing please tell me so I can add to it. Also I am currently not in any pbp games right now, unless your counting boardgames as well, in which case I am continuously on the Chaos in The Old World Roster.

Dichondrial Solvanstai

darius%20assassin.jpg

Appearance
    Dichondrial is of average height and frame for an elf with long blonde hair tied back into a ponytail. The band he uses to tie it back is actually a disguised garrote, the band coming apart to two parts connected by a single piece of steel wire. He usually has a cocky smile on his face and talks in a rather confident manner.

He prefers to wear rather well tailored and fashionable clothing, preferring dark rich colors like purple, green and black. Being left handed he keeps a rapier on his right hip, and on his left hip dangles a crowbar given to him by his father.

Personality
    Dichondrial has the same sense of over confidence that comes from a childhood of privilege and high social status. He has extreme confidence in his abilities as a fencer, as a chemist, and a thespian. He abhors laziness and usually spends his free time practicing any of his skills or working on new chemical formulas.

He is currently obsessed with exploring the world believing that there are so many more new things he can learn that cannot be taught on a Ark. Now he is determined to learn new ways to advance his skills, or learn completely new talents.

Background
    Dichondrial lived a rather easy life as child; his father was a very talented and well respected alchemist whose concoctions were in high demand amongst the upper class of their Ark. Due to his family’s wealth Dichondrial was taught by a first class fencer in the art of swordsman ship and his father personally taught him about the art of alchemy.

As he grew older Dichondrial and his friends had taken a common childhood game of “assassin” and altered it. During days of rest they would select an area of the Ark they hadn’t been to before and would each head there at dawn. Once everyone was ready they would split apart from eachother and done a disguise that the other hadn’t seen before. For the rest of the day they were to stay in that area of the ship and search out the other members of the group. The only way to eliminate someone was to sneak up behind them and either tap them in the ribs with the flat blade of a dagger or for double points put a garrotte around the person neck, without pulling back of course. This game taught each of them how to be quick, stealthy, observant and honed their abilities to blend into any social setting as well working on their improvisational skills.

Eventually Dichondrial grew bored on the Ark, sure he there were still many things he could learn from there but they were all the same things he could learn on any Ark, instead he wanted to explore the rest of the world to learn things outside of common elven practice and the best way to do that was to become an adventurer. Yet there would be no challenge for him if he left knowing that his fathers wealth would always be there to help him out, so he told his father of his plans and how the only thing he would ever accept from his father would be a bed to sleep in whenever he came to visit.

So with his fathers blessing Dichondrial left the Ark with only a some basic adventuring equipment, an alchemical set, and his trusty crowbar.

lodwilk on
    edited July 2011
    'lo, folks. Been a little silent for the last couple of days between work and the forum upgrade, so sorry about that.

I'm going to set a deadline on any incoming sheets on Tuesday, July 19th at 11:59 pm - the minute before my birthday is over. Very much liking the ones I've seen so far, though. I'll throw together a list of the sheets and links and all that into the OP.

Lot of strikers all up in here. :P

Hylianbunny on
    Doh, almost forgot to mention that I'm playing in this PbP right now.

• HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    oh my this game

one of my great failures it was... somehow i managed to fuck up a campaign that was intended to create and run itself

hylian, i am stoked that you are bringing this idea back to life because i was ill-equipped to do so

i am very tempted to play, but i think if i applied to play it, i would be inviting some sort of cosmic disappointment

also i found some of my notes for the old game, the sort of vague outline stuff that i'd hoped players would fill in

so... spoilers.

on the other races that were not playable at the time:
    the other playable races were actually going to be discovered by the PC's in the game. 'unlocked' if you will. a race like the dragonborn for example would have a background that would be developed with the ideas of players and wikiteers, and i made a few notes to guide that just in case it wasn't getting enough direction

on the eladrin in particular:
    thousands of years ago the eladrin cast a spell to save the world from evil. because that's what magical people do, of course. anyway, their spell locked the evil away from the world -- and because a sacrifice had to be made to make the spell work, locked the eladrin away from the world as well in their own kingdoms. some of them chose to stay, a few even forming an order of knighthood to be vigilant for evil's return. those who stayed behind became the not-magical elves. the great weakness of this spell is that the seals can only be broken from the world, and if either is broken, both open. so if someone were to try to release the ancient evil, they would also release the eladrin... and vice versa

on the feywild in particular:
    the feywild (i.e. that place where the eladrin live in exile) was also going to be a discovery. in fact, discovery of the ancient seals between worlds was where the party of the previous game were heading toward. the mist gate was going to be where one of the seals existed in a material form. anyway, the feywild was not intended to be an 'echo' of the world as it is in default 4e, but rather a strange magical idealized sort of place that would 'remind' you of the real world. i think my basic idea was called 'the eternal seasons'. four eladrin kingdoms sealed off from the world, divided into four areas that (since however long ago they were locked away from the world) were 'forever' representative of winter, spring, summer and fall. but what if one of the sovereigns of the four kingdoms tried to take over dun dunnn possible paragon tier adventure

i had a few specific ideas but mostly tried to keep it in broad strokes so as not to interfere too much

for example i had a wierd idea for the dragonborn that i might only share with hylian

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    play dat shit