As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] The Renaissance of Phalla (Tie Game)

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Because a friend asked me to, hope it is alright
    loxley.png

Now that my whoring is completed, continue on.

Egos on
  • AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ouch, that was terrible.

Why do we trust Savant again?

I don't mean to cast doubt in the slightest here but would someone be able to bring me up to speed with the current public knowlege regarding the network? I've tried to read back through the thread to see where it originates but couldn't find anything, was it all behind the scenes?

Having not played a Phalla before I'm assuming that the surest start for a network is for the Seer to contact the first vanillager they find to act as a mouth piece, but it doesn't sound like this is what happened here? Did the Seer pose as his own mouth piece when contacting Savant? Or was the Seer not involved in the slightest and the network coalesced around Savant because he was attacked and guarded on day three?

And can anyone explain what attracted the attention of both guardians and the mafia to Savant in the first place? Did he do something notable in thread before then to attract attention to himself, or does he simply have that kind of face? Seriously though I'm not very familiar with the Phalla community, does he just have the kind of noterity around here to warrant that attention?

Again I imagine this is just me being an unfamiliar newbie, and I do generally trust Savant because I haven't seen any of the more experienced Phallaees voice any concern. I'm just asking because I'm interested and don't think I'm fully following the going ons here.

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I could write a best-selling book from these proboards.

Lady Eri on
  • garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    AngryPuppy:

Savant was attacked by the mafia on night two, but survived due to being guarded.

Presumably that was merely a coincidence, and bad luck on the mafia's part. Thus, Savant must be village, because otherwise why would the mafia want to kill him?

The tiny bit of paranoia running around is due to the fact that there's always a small chance the whole thing could be a mafia ploy. In a very recent game, for example, one mafia member claimed to be a seer, implicated a teammate, and then the mafia didn't use one of their kills that night to trick the village into thinking they had attempted to kill the fake seer but got guarded. As a result, the fake seer ended up head of the village network for several days (and somehow we still lost! grrrr).

That is almost certainly not the scenario here though, as we know for sure that the guardians are village abilities, and unless the mafia had specific knowledge of who the guards were planning to protect that night, the plan would not work.

That being said.... if any of you guardians happened to enter into a pregame alliance or let your target info slip at some point..... the time to admit that would have been yesterday!

garroad_ran on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I would feel much better if LemonHead was the one getting these votes.

My reasoning on LaOs is pure hunch whereas Lemonhead is using an old mafia tactic.

She would be a better pick.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    who's "lemonhead"

simonwolf on
    edited July 2011
    Sorry, LemmingHead...whose avatar is a box of Lemonheads.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    LemmingHead

Gonna go with my gut and say Spectre is a villager.

101 on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Sorry, LemmingHead...whose avatar is a box of Lemonheads.

Posting from the iPad means I can't scroll back or easily flip windows around without causing problems related to the inability to scroll the edit box. In other words, I didn't check names - I was just following the suggestion.

Isn't that the soul of a bandwagon?

spool32 on
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    spool32

i find you suspicious.

Lucedes on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Farangu

simonwolf on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I still find Lady Eri suspicious, even though she is the hostess of this phalla.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited July 2011
    Drez. vote for Lemminghead.

Quick!

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Drez. vote for Lemminghead.

Quick!

Quick? Don't we have an entire day ahead of us?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited July 2011
    Damn, I was sure that would work.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have to say Farangu really IS quiet this phalla.

Why so quiet? I'm not entirely sold on ya but with no more seer I gotta ask on my suspicions!

Cythraul on
    Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Egos wrote: »
    You know Farangu, you are very quiet also

Quite.

Fiaryn, somehow, has been more quiet though--only one post since the game started. (A vote on Day 1, no vote Day 2 or Day 3.)

LaOs on
    edited July 2011
    i really don't think LaOS is a good idea.

Why?

Because DUE can sense my innate Villager-ness.

LaOs on
    edited July 2011
    LaOs, back me up.

We need to get a LemmingHead thing going.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Cythraul wrote: »
    I have to say Farangu really IS quiet this phalla.

Why so quiet? I'm not entirely sold on ya but with no more seer I gotta ask on my suspicions!

Just to support this:

Farangu has a total of 8 posts in the thread.

Day 1: voted for kuhlmeye early, as the 4th vote. Really just regular Day 1 stuff, though.

Day 2: voted later in the day, for kuhlmeye again, marking the 16th vote. TehSpectre was the other leading wagon at the time with 9. This was before the push started for JaysonFour.

Day 3: posted a one-word comment just after the results of Day 2. Also commented mid-day about the difference between suspecting someone and disliking someone, relevant to the current topic of conversation.

Then, posted a one-word vote for pablo_price, marking the 7th vote (JaysonFour led with 14).

Day 4: Today, he's posted that one line about Fiaryn being quiet (and voted for him).

Basically, Farangu's sort of been around but hasn't really been contributing, has been joining established wagons and voting without elaboration. Is this quiet for Farangu, or normal? I have no idea--haven't played with him before. But that's the record of his actions, at least.

LaOs on
    edited July 2011
    LaOs, back me up.

We need to get a LemmingHead thing going.

Well, there is a three-way tie for first (Farangu, LaOs, and LemmingHead). Let me catch up on any new posts and see where things sit. She is suspicious to me, too.

LaOs on
    edited July 2011
    Damn you LaOs

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Oh wait, there are no other posts. My bad (apparently people are actually working this morning?!).

I will vote LemmingHead to place someone else above myself for the moment and break the three-way tie.

LaOs on
    edited July 2011
    Damn you LaOs

Well there ya go, mate. LemmingHead's in the lead with 3. lol

Another player who's been incredibly quiet is Casual Eddy. Anyone know if that's normal for him?

LaOs on
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Egos wrote: »
    You know Farangu, you are very quiet also

This is because I'm not a thrallvig

Farangu on
    edited July 2011
    Would a tied vote still be a bad thing for the village at this point? If I understood the logic correctly it was a bad move to make because it increased the odds that we would take out one of our own specials, but with the Seer and a Vigilante already gone might it not be in our best interests to increase our killing power? That is assuming we have more than one good suspect.

The danger is of course that a single mafia could retract or add a vote at the last minute breaking the tie in the direction of their choosing, but if we were able to reach some consensus and everyone agreed to tie the vote then whoever breaks it would surely be writing their own death sentence.

Of course self preservation or spite might cause the accused to break the tie as well. Probably a very weak idea all in all but I thought I'd throw it out there.

AngryPuppy on
    edited July 2011
    You'll find that most people are against the idea of tied votes.

I think a lot of that comes from not always knowing what the consequences of a tied vote will be. There's a wide range of possible outcomes that makes it unappealing to most.

In this game, however, we know that a tied vote will result in the death of all those who are tied. I usually don't mind Tied Votes anyway, but I think you might be on to something.

We lost one of our Vigilantes last night, so we're down a kill on the Good side anyway. We wouldn't really be doing any more damage to ourselves, since we'd basically be replacing the lost Vig kill with a second Vote kill, for a net change of zero. Plus, we may get interesting data out of any last-minute shenanigans to prevent the ties that we agree on (or Savant suggests?).

I think it's something to talk about.

LaOs on
    edited July 2011
    OK, lacking direction, and unsure whether I'll be around for late-breaking activity after 6PM, I'm going to !vote Lemminghead.

Let's see where this thing goes.

spool32 on
    edited July 2011
    Also, Magic Box shenanigans? Someone as marked Drez as being a mafia member over there.

spool32 on
    edited July 2011
    spool32 wrote: »
    Also, Magic Box shenanigans? Someone as marked Drez as being a mafia member over there.

Weird. Didn't know you could do that there.

LaOs on
    edited July 2011
    LaOs wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »

Weird. Didn't know you could do that there.

As penance for screwing up the narration on the first day, I've been sort of maintaining the box this whole time. For example, all the narration marks have been done by me. I'm going through and updating the players list right now.

spool32 on
  • CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So after all the vote-tying blah blah we've done for the past couple of days we now want to tie the vote?

Cythraul on
    Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
    edited July 2011
    That would be dumb

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited July 2011
    So after all the vote-tying blah blah we've done for the past couple of days we now want to tie the vote?

Much of the problem with the tied votes in the past of this game has been that it has allowed the Mafia to score an additional kill. When we had a tie in 3rd place on Day 1, the Mafia were able to blindside us and take out #1 and #2 of the vote (turns out they were tied, too, but that doesn't actually matter in this case), trickling the vote down to #3, which happened to be a tie and took both players out.

The last two days we've been trying to avoid such a situation by simply avoiding ties. There's also the general feeling that ties are bad--most people do not like them, fear them (and often rightfully so), and try to avoid them.

Like I said, there's nothing inherently wrong with ties. Especially when we know exactly what will happen in the case of a tie. We won't even be risking diminishing our numbers more quickly than before, since the extra Vote kill would simply be replacing the Vigilante kill. (The only risk is the same one the Vigilante faced--we may kill a Villager with the Vote.)

So long as we ensure there are no ties in the lower parts of the vote (like we have been doing--avoid 2nd and 3rd place ties), we do not have to worry about Mafia shenanigans gaining extra strikes on us.

There are 9 Mafia members and 37 Villagers (including living Specials). We control 1 Kill (the Vigilante) and should control a second (the Village Vote). The Mafia control 2 Kills (their targeted Kills) and can possibly control a third (the Village Vote). I think it's important for us to do something to increase our potency. We don't even need to stop at 2 players tied, if we have strong enough suspicions for more.
    The risk here, of course, is that we now change is so that we have 1 for sure kill and 2 possible whereas the Mafia have 2 for sure kills and 2 possible, etc. There are many more Village-aligned players still, though, so I would hope we would be able to withstand Mafia manipulation--and if they attempted said manipulation, we may be able to spot some of them in the act.

[Edit]
    Edited because I suck at subtraction--46 minus 9 is 37, not 35. Doh!

LaOs on
    edited July 2011
    That would be dumb

I know we simply do not agree on Tied Votes, but at this stage, we have 3 village specials left--2 Guards and 1 Vigilante. It seems to me that Savant knows who they are, from how he's been talking. It should not be hard to avoid sending those three (4 including Savant) up on the chopping block. I don't think it's a bad idea talking out a strategy to increase our killing power, especially since the threat to our specials has been greatly reduced (from normal situations).

LaOs on
    edited July 2011

Have you never seen Ghostbusters?

I reiterate that this is my first Phalla and I'm just thinking out loud. I'm not really privvy to the network and any PM back room dealing, maybe the more experienced players believe it would be better to buy time to figure things out. I don't know many of you fellows so it's impossible for me to tell who is acting out of character.

So I suppose personally I'm thinking about this more as a numbers game, and the numbers seem to bear the idea out. I think we have 37 villagers left and 9 mafia right? Sure we're going to burn through innocents quicker but I think long drawn out attrition only benefits the mafia who know their two kills will further their end goal. The more kills we have out of their control the more likely we are to strike it lucky.

If anything I'm worried that this is a bit meta-gamey and could be against the rules. Would Lady Eri mind giving us a ruling on such shenanigans?

AngryPuppy on
    edited July 2011
    One of my biggest issues with tie votes is that it is hard to make sure a tie vote is successful.

Not only will the mafia be actively working to insure this doesn't happen (as long as one of their members is involved in the time, otherwise they'd love it) but random people coming in at the last minute and dropping a vote so they dont get culled for inactivity could screw things up.

It walks too fine a line and the mafia will have too much influence for it to work effectively.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited July 2011
    AngryPuppy wrote: »
    If anything I'm worried that this is a bit meta-gamey and could be against the rules. Would Lady Eri mind giving us a ruling on such shenanigans?

Nah, that's totally legit in Phalla.

Also, has anyone played Phalla with Thom before? He's not done much of anything--single posts with nothing but a vote and whatnot. Should he be more active? He's definitely around on the forums ([Chat] for example.)

LaOs on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    LaOs wrote: »
    AngryPuppy wrote: »

Nah, that's totally legit in Phalla.

Also, has anyone played Phalla with Thom before? He's not done much of anything--single posts with nothing but a vote and whatnot. Should he be more active? He's definitely around on the forums ([Chat] for example.)

I think this might be his first Phalla. Can't say for definite.

Still stuck on voting tonight. I think some of my suspicions come from the fact that the experienced people are posting a lot and then newbies are hardly posting at all and it all gets a bit mixed up.

BobCesca on
    edited July 2011
    One of my biggest issues with tie votes is that it is hard to make sure a tie vote is successful.

Not only will the mafia be actively working to insure this doesn't happen (as long as one of their members is involved in the time, otherwise they'd love it) but random people coming in at the last minute and dropping a vote so they dont get culled for inactivity could screw things up.

It walks too fine a line and the mafia will have too much influence for it to work effectively.

You're absolutely right--they're incredibly difficult to pull off successfully.

But, if we generally agree that we want to go with Tied Votes for 1st place, anyone who breaks that tie at the last minute becomes suspect. We can investigate them, their record and activity, and see what we make of it. It could be Mafia working to ensure one of their members doesn't die. It could be last-minute drive-by votes for activity purposes. It could be anything, but it definitely shines a giant spotlight on that player.

Also, if the Mafia do succeed in disrupting the tie (or anyone else messes it up), what have we lost? We only end up killing one person then, like we would have if we didn't attempt the tie in the first place. If they don't disrupt it, we kill two people we deemed suspicious enough to place into a tie to begin with.

I know it's generally the Mafia and Specials who hang around at vote close, so there may be a larger percentage of Mafia around to last-minute things than Villagers, but I know I'm a Villager and can be around for Vote Close for the next three nights (at least), so I don't know that the Mafia actually does have too much influence for it to work out. If that's the way we want to go.

LaOs on