As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LoL] League of Legends thread of maximum politeness

EchoEcho ski-bapba-dapModerator mod
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
personalTitle.png

League of Legends
Think of it as an RTS where you only control the heroic commander. You have your pick of the beefy, the sneaky, the kind that sets up turrets and hangs back. Your aim is to destroy the enemy's HQ and intervening towers. The AI sends out waves of minions to act as cannon fodder and will give you delicious gold when killed, which is used to buy items and customise your champion in all manner of ways.
It's free to play; but champions are unlocked with real money or in-game points.

The Tribunal is here! Now any level 30 summoner can decide the fate of trolls and bigots for prizes! Help Riot weed out the foul from the murky at http://www.leagueoflegends.com/tribunal

While Riot does not officially support a Mac version of LoL they have made a beta version of the client that you can download here.

Get on ventrilo if you want to play games with fellow PA'ers. The details are in the stickied vent thread. We are more than happy to give advice and play games no matter how new you are.

Alternatively you can join the PA chat room.Click the chat rooms panel in the bottom right, click the speech bubble with a plus next to it, type in Penny Arcade. when the window opens, click the gear in the top right of the window and check the box "Autojoin on Startup."

Helpful links for those who wish to learn more
leagueoflegends.com, the game database provided by Riot (who make the game).
leaguecraft.com, there are a lot of fan sites out there with general information and builds. This is just one; and, it is slow and full of ads. Regardless of where you look for builds keep in mind, most of them make assumptions that are not clearly conveyed and there are a lot that are just plain bad. Tread lightly.
KillerCodeMonkey's wiki, add your brilliant shit to it.
Game mechanic shit, stuff like how attacks and magic and things work.
Rune break-dancing, good info about what runes you should buy.

Here is a list of live streams. They are quite nice for picking up tricks and build orders. My personal favourite is Guardsman Bob.

IF YOU'RE GOING TO SPEND REAL CASH DOLLA MONIES FOR CHAMPIONS
Zoelef wrote: »
Drop $20 for the Retail Box (Amazon, Best Buy, GameSpot, Newegg, Target, and Wal-Mart typically have this) It gives you $10 in Riot Points, take those, then buy $10 in Riot Points and $5 in Riot Points. Spend all of them on the second champ pack.

That's $35 for 40 champs permanently unlocked; none of the post-40 have ever been in a bundle AFAIK.
Cutfang wrote: »
Q: How can I get champions and save money?
A: You won't have to spend a cent if you simply play games and earn enough IP to buy them all. If, however, you wish to hasten the process you may buy champions with real money. The most cost effective way to buy champions is by purchasing the two bundles on offer.
For $45 you can buy 6380 Riot Points, which are used to buy champions and skins. 3900 of those points gets you the Digital Collector's Pack, which contains 20 champions and includes 1380 Riot Points (huh?). If you were to buy the champions individually it would cost 37800 IP or 9620 RP. The Digital Collector's pack can also be bought in stores or online as a boxed copy, which may save you a significant amount of money.
3410 Riot Points gets you the champions bundle. This contains some more expensive champions. Bought individually they would cost 60750 IP or 14350 RP (ish).
This leaves you with 450 RP, enough to buy yourself a single skin!

Here is a list of all the champions available. Not for the weak of bandwidth.

Valiantine has a lovely spreadsheet that you can add your summoner name to. It is horrifyingly large.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ap5qFqD3oLKndHNfOGJ1VFNZVVZ6c1NtZVktdXpsTVE&hl=en&authkey=CJPuh4wG#gid=0

OP stolen from Bagel

Echo on

• zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hurray, I was getting worried.

zerg rush on
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    new thread smell

excellent

interrobang on
  • VarethiusVarethius CymruRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Mmmmn, got that fresh new thread smell!

So in prev. thread, was asking about hints/tips on playing Brand. Or any ranged AP carry in general. Halp?

Varethius on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Thank you for sparing us almighty mods.
    So any news on when Leona is coming up? I thought she was all ready and they were just waiting until the server was stable.

Edit: The most important two things in any carry I think are getting a good cs by last hitting and learning how to position in teamfights so you can do maximum damage while not dieing. Beyond that its mostly item builds and learning how to rotate your skills and use stuns and aoes to their maximum benefit.

Neaden on
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It's called LoL, dad

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yorick is fun now! I went positive, and was helpful to my team. I even used my ult at 6 on Tryn so we could get dragon before he (nearly) died.

The three times I died were literally only Annie. All three times she basically gibbed me. Because her AP ratios are perfectly fine and her abilities do average damage.
    /sarcasm

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    people playing champions for the first time shouldn't insist on solo lanes. In fact, play a fucking bot game first just so you know your abilities. Cho'gath kept using feast as a 'nuke' without building ANY stacks up. How stupid do you have to be... ugh.

aBlank on
    edited July 2011
    It does seem like a lot of it is positioning; Lots of people unfamiliar with AP carries will sometimes rush into the thick of things to try and get that last spell off on someone running away, even as there are enemy champs who are still very much alive

A lot of it boils down to farming like a champ then restraining yourself to generally stay in the back lines of a fight

Eddy on
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm confused. I won a game as xin/shaco/eve/janna/kennen vs tf/panth/blitz/cait/udyr on ranked while i keep losing games where we have legit comp. i.e. 3 silences vs kat

go team troll

EDIT: Orinana should go to hell and stay there.

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
    edited July 2011
    Neaden wrote: »
    Thank you for sparing us almighty mods.
    So any news on when Leona is coming up? I thought she was all ready and they were just waiting until the server was stable.

Edit: The most important two things in any carry I think are getting a good cs by last hitting and learning how to position in teamfights so you can do maximum damage while not dieing. Beyond that its mostly item builds and learning how to rotate your skills and use stuns and aoes to their maximum benefit.

I think I have to work on the positioning mostly. I was usually too far ahead. And didn't really pay attention to my heroes location, just which foes I could get into range of fireballs.

as far as Brands skills are concerned I'm deffinately in the know about what skills to use when and how. Slapping a foe with E then Q for a stun. Or a W and E for aoe. Or a E then Q then W for a nice nasty damaging combo :D

But yeah, last game I went 3/13/??. It was horrendous and I'm ashamed :(

Varethius on
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    oh nooooo my first yorick loss

still went 7/3/whatever so I know I had nothing to do with it at least

the enemy's 12/2 annie totally had something to do with it though

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Right before last thread was locked, I wasn't signed in and thought "I'm going to sign in and make a joke about how this thread will never end!" *log in*
    anime-stare.png
    Nope

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    good day sirs

would anyone kindly join me for a game league of legends?

Jars on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

That's exactly what's happening.

However, for reference, EU hasn't even gotten the latest balance patch yet, because they need the server stabler.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
    edited July 2011

That's exactly what's happening.

However, for reference, EU hasn't even gotten the latest balance patch yet, because they need the server stabler.

We're really hoping for that soon. I expect it'll be after the EUwest and EUEast/Nordic split.
    And that's happening "soon" aparently.

Varethius on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Started playing this today. Love it love it, and will ultimately spend money on it soon, because I need more support characters.

I love, and collect, Action/RTS games.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I was told that Leona is coming out tomorrow on US servers. Is this false?

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Guys.

I am going to start playing LoL.

I've played some DotA but never any LoL before. I have a group of friends that play so I'll learn with them, but someday, I may be one of you........

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited July 2011
    i really wish my friends that played this game were actually good at it

because i love my friends! they are all great people. but god they are so bad at league of legends

interrobang on
    edited July 2011
    If she isn't out tomorrow, I might despair. getting bored of rammus and shen. And I play a terrible amumu.
    on a side note though, dance with dragons is out tomorrow <3

I know what you mean Interr. My friend tanked Cho'gath as annie. a lvl 15 annie vs lvl 18 cho..... you can imagine how that went.

Varethius on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Free kat week is the worst. So glad its almost over.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I guess people who played 10 games in ranked during season one get a free Kayle skin at some point.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Cantido wrote: »
    Started playing this today. Love it love it, and will ultimately spend money on it soon, because I need more support characters.

I love, and collect, Action/RTS games.

Good to hear. Reading your earlier posts, I was afraid you had gotten the utterly wrong impression about this game, but didn't have the ability to post at the time.

Excellent, welcome aboard!

Priest on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    eeSanG wrote: »
    I was told that Leona is coming out tomorrow on US servers. Is this false?

It might be! We don't know yet. They haven't given any indication that she is doing so for sure though.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
    edited July 2011
    i really wish my friends that played this game were actually good at it

because i love my friends! they are all great people. but god they are so bad at league of legends

my friends are just wildly inconsistent

like one match he'll be in a zenlike state and the next go 0/9 as if someone else was playing that game

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    edited July 2011

like one match he'll be in a zenlike state and the next go 0/9 as if someone else was playing that game

I am that person. I hate that about myself.

It's like clockwork. Say I've been playing Malz for 10 games. If I pick Tristana back up, I will have 1 amazing game with her. The second game I will feed to no end. The third, fourth, and fifth games will be mediocre. After that I'll be great again. But if I change champs every game, then I just fuck up even more.

Just played against a hilarious Garen. He and Fiddles would just hide in the bottom bush all game long. They never farmed at all. Invariably, they were able to kill Lux or I whenever both of their Flashes were on CD, but otherwise, they just sat in the bush for the first 20 minutes of the game, letting Lux and I farm away.

Lux and I made careful precision to farm, but die as little as possible, and never kill Garen or Fiddles. Twenty minutes hit, we both go B. (So far, we only bought Doran's items, hiding how much money we had, because we figured if they were too stupid to farm, they were too stupid to look at our CS). Suddenly, we bust out of the river, me with my Deathcap, her with whatever shit Lux does, and absolutely annihilate them.

Suddenly their shit talking stopped as we pushed their 2 bottom towers in 3 minutes. Game ended with Garen having a CS of 13, and 3 kills from early game. Fiddles had a CS of 21, with 2 kills from early game.

Priest on
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    She'll be released tomorrow and then removed because something will happen that breaks the game completely. As is standard operating procedure.

Mr.Sunshine on
    edited July 2011
    The Season That Never Ends.

Seriously? "The season is over but not over."

Priest on
  • darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Free Renekton makes me happy because it'll be the first time I've played him since I started LoL 6~ months ago

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
    edited July 2011
    Woot free Renekton week

He's a fun champ but I just can't spend any mo money on this game at the moment

Eddy on
    edited July 2011
    Free Renekton makes me happy because it'll be the first time I've played him since I started LoL 6~ months ago

I do love me some free Vayne week now that she's not OP. New Vayne's don't know how to use her.

Priest on
  • SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    hurrah free cho gath

time to be all like silence lolololo

SuMa.Lustre on
    edited July 2011
    I don't play renekton enough despite owning both his skins and loving the shit out of him

tankydps4lyfe

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    edited July 2011
    tales from the solo/duo queue crypt: i just got out of a game with a sona who rushed eleisa's miracle and boots 3

how does that even

interrobang on
  • SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have never seen anyone good go boots3

they should just be titled noob boots

SuMa.Lustre on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have never seen anyone good go boots3

they should just be titled noob boots

I get boots three sometimes on certain champs if the enemy team doesn't have much CC.

Neaden on
  • Lawful EvilLawful Evil Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Priest wrote: »
    The Season That Never Ends.

Seriously? "The season is over but not over."

Maybe they're gearing up for something big to start Season 2 with, and it got delayed or whatnot being Best Online Technical that they are. Like observer mode! Where is it? Or Magma Chamber? Or something else that I have probably already forgotten because they mentioned it such a long time ago?

Lawful Evil on
    Do not believe that the impossible exists. That is why you fail.
  • CaenemCaenem Sarasota, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Arikado wrote: »
    So I guess people who played 10 games in ranked during season one get a free Kayle skin at some point.

I think this also means if you don't have Kayle purchased she will automagically show up in your stable with that free skin. That's how it's happened in the past. Also, seriously? The season isn't over after the championships?

Caenem on
    But you, pig, are a lucky one. Tell us what we wish to know, and you may yet keep your bacon.
    Nemlock for online gaming
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Garen gets boots 3 for life.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Wow I waited like for fucking EVER to get a free cass week so I could try before I buy. I finally make the plunge and WHOOPS shes free. Fuck that.

Well at least I also plan on buying renekton and I would like to see if that will be a wise decision so win.

Kai_San on
This discussion has been closed.