As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phone Hacking In The UK] - An Old Fashioned English Fox Hunt

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Kalkino wrote: »
    So Hunt has referred the BSkyB purchase to the Competition Commission, but not long before NI changed the proposal in such a way that perhaps made it easier for the government to do that. I'm not really sure on the details here, or what NI is playing at

Murdoch is willing to sacrifice the newspaper to get the TV.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So Hunt has referred the BSkyB purchase to the Competition Commission, but not long before NI changed the proposal in such a way that perhaps made it easier for the government to do that. I'm not really sure on the details here, or what NI is playing at

The EU competition commission waved through the BSkyB takeover, so they are hoping/planning that ours will follow suit.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011

They're taking it out of the hands of the politicians, who now want very much to stop, or at least delay the deal, and hoping for arbitration to break in their favour. It's not a win, as they've been fighting against this happening for ages, but right now it's better than the alternative, which is to let politicians who want nothing to do with him all of a sudden put the kibosh on the deal.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Clegg appears to have located his spine.
    Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg on Monday became the most senior official to publicly urge Rupert Murdoch to drop a $12 billion bid by his embattled News Corporation for Britain’s most lucrative satellite broadcast company, British Sky Broadcasting, as the government sought advice on possible regulatory proceedings.

After meeting with Ms. Dowler’s parents on Monday Mr. Clegg, leader of the Liberal Democrats, the junior partner in Prime Minister David Cameron’s coalition government, urged Mr. Murdoch to “look how people feel about this — look how the country has reacted with revulsion to the revelations” about the phone-hacking scandal.

“Do the decent and sensible thing, and reconsider, think again about your bid for BSkyB,” Mr. Clegg said, referring to the satellite broadcaster by its initials.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

The EU competition commission waved through the BSkyB takeover, so they are hoping/planning that ours will follow suit.

the full quote from the guardian:
    Jeremy Hunt, the culture secretary, referred News Corporation's bid for 100% of BSkyB to the Competition Commission, after News Corp withdrew its promise to spin Sky News off into a separate company, a key element of making sure the bid passed media plurality conditions.

why they think they can change the proposal to their favour in these circumstances worries and confuses me.

the death of NI newspapers isnt so unplanned, methinks.

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    this makes me lol enormously

if this actually took old Rupes down it would be glorious although that's probably far too much to hope for

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Eh, Milipede and Clegg have gone all out anti-Murdoch. The election is 4 years away, so Cameron has a lot to gain and little to lose from bedding down with Murdoch.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh man, please be the scorched earth campaign against News Corp that I've been hoping for. Please oh please oh please let it be burned and the earth be salted in the wake of the destruction. Nuke the Murdochs and their empire from orbit; it's the only way to be sure.

What can I say? I'm a Cubs fan; I'm using to having unrealistic expectations going into things.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The consortium would have to convince Rupert Murdoch to sell the News of the World title or face a legal challenge but they argue that public support would play a part in rescuing the paper.
    Public support? Hah! From where exactly? :lol:

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Zilla, NotW was the largest Sunday Newspaper in terms of copies sold. If marketed correctly, it's not impossible to get a sizeable portion of its reader base reading any potential new one.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    The consortium would have to convince Rupert Murdoch to sell the News of the World title or face a legal challenge but they argue that public support would play a part in rescuing the paper.
    Public support? Hah! From where exactly? :lol:

Well, the people who bought the paper and made it into one of the biggest papers.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh, I know that. It's just hard to imagine how they'll market/present it if it did come back.
    They'd have to make the first new edition entirely about kittens and supermodels I guess.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Does this mean Fox News is also in danger? Cause that'd be awesome

Magus` on
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Magus` wrote: »
    Does this mean Fox News is also in danger? Cause that'd be awesome

Apparently a small selection of USA shareholders have lodged legal challenges equating News corp being treated as a family candy jar.

The fact that the sun is implicated and old becca Brook lorded over Brown that she knew his son was dieing pretty much kills the NI defense of :few bad apples.

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I find it surprising that Brown didn't nail Brooks to the wall after that (legally speaking of course), he was one of the most powerful men in the country at the time.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I find it surprising that Brown didn't nail Brooks to the wall after that (legally speaking of course), he was one of the most powerful men in the country at the time.

Yow do know what Twain said, right?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    It's always interesting that in corruption cases everyone feigns incompetence.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jul/11/police-mps-hacking-cockup-conspiracy

He denied ever having said he had "reviewed" the Met's phone-hacking investigation following revelations in the Guardian in July 2009

So you decided not to look at the evidence again before making a decision, because well fukit that'd be work.

A concerted Yard fightback saw Yates acknowledge to the Sunday Telegraph that his 2009 decision was "pretty crap"

So your argument was that you had an off day. . .

In a letter to the committee released on Monday, Yates said the failure to detect the hacking of Milly Dowler's phone was "a source of great regret".

Just pathetic: I'm sorry we're actually no good at our job, corruption happens because I was stupid and therefore you cannot blame me. . .

Please let me keep my job because I am trying to prove I'm to stupid to be corrupt and by extension too stupid to recognise or stop corruption.

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Bastable wrote: »
    It's always interesting that in corruption cases everyone feigns incompetence.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jul/11/police-mps-hacking-cockup-conspiracy

He denied ever having said he had "reviewed" the Met's phone-hacking investigation following revelations in the Guardian in July 2009

So you decided not to look at the evidence again before making a decision, because well fukit that'd be work.

A concerted Yard fightback saw Yates acknowledge to the Sunday Telegraph that his 2009 decision was "pretty crap"

So your argument was that you had an off day. . .

In a letter to the committee released on Monday, Yates said the failure to detect the hacking of Milly Dowler's phone was "a source of great regret".

Just pathetic: I'm sorry we're actually no good at our job, corruption happens because I was stupid and therefore you cannot blame me. . .

Well, it's probably easier to go down as an incompetent than as a corrupt fucker.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited July 2011

It looks like he did not connect that Brook calling him about knowing his son was going to die would be connected to illegal phone hacking. Or he took on board Brook's implied threat that NI could and would smear him by any means.

It's like poor Ryan getting Brook and coulson to admit to paying off cops and within months there are photos of him in his underwear (on gay sites not less because homo's are icky amrite News corp) on the front page.

Coogens correct in his statement that it was a protection racket.

Bastable on

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I don't know if anyone's seen this, but it's all the News Corp things one would have to avoid if boycotting anything Murdoch has anything to do with:
    MV2nt.png

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Trechent to the hacking and NI crusade against Brown it seems a judge buried Plymouth detectives evidence as a case was deemed to be a waste of taxpayers expense.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/jul/11/evidence-data-checks-gordon-brown

Files buried in police archives detail the discovery of an extraordinary nationwide network of private investigators, whom a corrupt local police officer was feeding with information filched from the police national computer (PNC).

To the detectives' surprise, the targets included the then chancellor of the exchequer, listed by his full name, James Gordon Brown and date of birth, as well as two other Labour politicians.

They were the chancellor's close colleague, the agriculture minister Nick Brown, plus the embattled MP for Reading West, Martin Salter, who at the time of the PNC break-in had been publicly put on an "enemies list" by the then News of the World editor, Rebekah Brooks.

Guys guys my Girl Rebekah did not know of any wrong doing at all, besides this and suborning Police officers. . .

The Judge Darlow has had a history of being a scumbag.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1539699/Judge-Dont-be-racist-call-him-fat-instead.html

because Police men should just let people call them F*&^ing Paki's. "Just call him fat" when you don't want to be touched by a Paki doctor, I'm a judge I know the law and how to avoid charges of racism. . .
    I really like this one: look just dog whistle next time.

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Judge-slams-ignorant-legal-error/story-11437639-detail/story.html

Don't charge people for sexual assault after attempted sexual assault, charge them for trespass. I'm a judge I know the LAW!

http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/Judge-pints-beer/story-11830096-detail/story.html
    Hey You having a history of assaulting people is peanuts to the insanity of drinking 5 pints of beer, that's just unhealthy.

Bastable on

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That's nowhere near everything.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Bastable wrote: »
    Trechent to the hacking and NI crusade against Brown it seems a judge buried Plymouth detectives evidence as a case was deemed to be a waste of taxpayers expense.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/jul/11/evidence-data-checks-gordon-brown

Files buried in police archives detail the discovery of an extraordinary nationwide network of private investigators, whom a corrupt local police officer was feeding with information filched from the police national computer (PNC).

To the detectives' surprise, the targets included the then chancellor of the exchequer, listed by his full name, James Gordon Brown and date of birth, as well as two other Labour politicians.

They were the chancellor's close colleague, the agriculture minister Nick Brown, plus the embattled MP for Reading West, Martin Salter, who at the time of the PNC break-in had been publicly put on an "enemies list" by the then News of the World editor, Rebekah Brooks.

Guys guys my Girl Rebekah did not know of any wrong doing at all, besides this and suborning Police officers. . .

The Judge Darlow has had a history of being a scumbag.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1539699/Judge-Dont-be-racist-call-him-fat-instead.html

because Police men should just let people call them F*&^ing Paki's. "Just call him fat" when you don't want to be touched by a Paki doctor, I'm a judge I know the law and how to avoid charges of racism. . .
    I really like this one: look just dog whistle next time.

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Judge-slams-ignorant-legal-error/story-11437639-detail/story.html

Don't charge people for sexual assault after attempted sexual assault, charge them for trespass. I'm a judge I know the LAW!

http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/Judge-pints-beer/story-11830096-detail/story.html
    Hey You having a history of assaulting people is peanuts to the insanity of drinking 5 pints of beer, that's just unhealthy.

What a classy gent. Glad to see he was watching out for us

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited July 2011

There are a number of ways the Sun could have got the information without it being illegal for the paper. That is indeed the defence NI is mounting now with regards to the Brown information it published.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

There are a number of ways the Sun could have got the information without it being illegal for the paper. That is indeed the defence NI is mounting now with regards to the Brown information it published.

That and, as pointed out, back then with an election a couple of years away she seemed far more powerful than she is now.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So how can you get a hold of somebody's medical records without a crime being committed in the process?

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    So how can you get a hold of somebody's medical records without a crime being committed in the process?

Asking nicely

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Well, medical report access is governed in parts by the Access to Medical Reports Act (iirc), which usually requires written authorisation from the patient. Whether or not that law covers all other kinds of access I do not know

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Not illegal for the paper, not that it's not illegal at some point. If the paper doesn't solicit the information (does not organise or encourage a crime to take place) and doesn't pay for it then I'd imagine they are mostly in the clear.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, I'm confident tabloids have enough knowledge of how the law works to be able to get around almost anything in order to persue a story. It seems it usually involves using a third party or ensuring not to handle sensitive documents themselves.

It's also clear they absolutely do not give a fuck about falling into morally 'grey' areas. The culture of the tabloids is one of 'it's not a matter of morals, it's a matter of what sells.' and that's what sickens me most about tabloids.

This ongoing case helps to sum it up: LINK
    The Sun and the Daily Mirror breached contempt of court laws during their coverage of the murder of Joanna Yeates in Bristol, the Attorney General told the High Court yesterday. Dominic Grieve QC said the nature of reporting from the two tabloids after the arrest of Ms Yeates' landlord Chris Jefferies was "so exceptional, memorable and adverse" that there was "substantial risk of serious prejudice" to any trial he might have faced...

Throughout the course of this story, the papers never once stopped to ask whether or not it was right to effectively charge a man with murder before police had even finished questioning him.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Yeah but they did not go down the route of just legal information harvesting. . .

They could have done it legally, maybe in a alternate candy world they did. The problem is this is not candyland.

Bastable on

• Options
    edited July 2011
    This ongoing case helps to sum it up: LINK
    The Sun and the Daily Mirror breached contempt of court laws during their coverage of the murder of Joanna Yeates in Bristol, the Attorney General told the High Court yesterday. Dominic Grieve QC said the nature of reporting from the two tabloids after the arrest of Ms Yeates' landlord Chris Jefferies was "so exceptional, memorable and adverse" that there was "substantial risk of serious prejudice" to any trial he might have faced...

Throughout the course of this story, the papers never once stopped to ask whether or not it was right to effectively charge a man with murder before police had even finished questioning him.

Oh come on Bad-Beat, he clearly looked a bit funny: Guilty, Guilty, Guilty.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Should'a just put him on the ducking stool. If he floated, he did it.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    So, in a lighter note, the Sun leads with the revelation that the Beckham's fourth child is their last, with the headline "Goldenballs Mothballed"

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Just looked on The Sun's website. They went for the headline: Hold'em Balls.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Just looked on The Sun's website. They went for the headline: Hold'em Balls.

Well see we need to forgive bad or illegal behaviour of the tabloids as that is what allows them to bring to our attention issues of public import, as well as acting as a key aspect of Freedom of Speech (tm)

Kalkino on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Not sure if this has been posted, but John Oliver was very funny about this on the Daily Show

http://gawker.com/5820243/jon-stewart-tackles-the-news-of-the-world-scandal

BobCesca on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I don't know why I do it but I keep reading Littlejohn's column in the Daily Mail. Maybe, there's a part of me that believes Littlejohn is capable of turning a corner and realising where and how he went wrong but no, he can't even see the wood through the trees in this whole phone hacking affair.

Actually, reading his latest article, it's hard to work out who or what the fuck he actually likes. He shows disdain (in this one column alone) towards:

News of the World
    All Celebrities
    The Guardian
    The Independent
    The Sunday Times
    Met Police
    The Labour Party
    Lib Dems
    Max Clifford
    The BBC
    Rupert Murdoch
    David Cameron (sort of)

The man is clearly a very bitter and generally unsociable prat.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Alistair Hutton on