As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phone Hacking In The UK] - An Old Fashioned English Fox Hunt

• Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted, but John Oliver was very funny about this on the Daily Show

http://gawker.com/5820243/jon-stewart-tackles-the-news-of-the-world-scandal

Amazing.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted, but John Oliver was very funny about this on the Daily Show

http://gawker.com/5820243/jon-stewart-tackles-the-news-of-the-world-scandal

That is actually a great summary for anyone wondering what all the fuss is about.

Those people are mainly Mail / Sun readers / Sky news viewers who are probably only getting shreds of the info between complaining about immigrants / pedo's / Lady Di etc...

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Murdoch and Brooks have been invited to attend a parliamentary committee next Tuesday

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Murdoch and Brooks have been invited to attend a parliamentary committee next Tuesday
    2:07pm• News International has said it will "co-operate" with the culture committee, which wants Rupert Murdoch, James Murdoch and Rebakah Brooks to give evidence. "We have been made aware of the request from the CMS committee to interview senior executives and will co-operate," a company spokesowoman said. "We await the formal invitation." But it is not clear yet whether this means the Murdochs and Brooks will turn up next Tuesday. The company have not clarified this yet.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Does British Parliament have similar powers to congress over here? Like where they can legally compel you to appear and hold you in contempt if you refuse?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Does British Parliament have similar powers to congress over here? Like where they can legally compel you to appear and hold you in contempt if you refuse?

apparently they do not, or at least not in this particular circumstance

Kalkino on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

They don't, but parliament can setup a judicial inquiry that does have the power to compel attendance.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    2.15pm: More hot news from outside the committee. Labour have released the text of the motion that will be put to a vote in the opposition day debate tomorrow. It's very simple.

This House believes that it is in the public interest for Rupert Murdoch and News Corporation to withdraw their bid for BSkyB.

Ed Miliband has chosen this to maximise Lib Dem support. A Miliband aide has just told me the party hopes for "overwhelming support"

If MPs pass this motion, it won't technically have much effect. Murdoch isn't a British citizen, and the House of Commons cannot tell him what to do. In theory, it should not even be relevant to the Competition Commission inquiry into whether the bid should go through. All I can say at this stage is that a Commons vote of that kind won't increase the chances of the News Corp bid being successful.

The Tories won't want to vote against this motion (not least because, according a YouGov poll at the weekend [pdf], 70% of the public are opposed to the bid going through - and only 9% are in favour). They could abstain, but that would look weak and it would allow the motion to go through anyway. But they can table amendement. We'll find out more shortly.

You know, back in 6th Form, there was a guy in English Lit who would ask questions like "do you hate girls, or love men". This motion kind of sounds like that.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    waywardwayward Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm just loving all this. It's becoming more and more clear that just about everyone has known more or less what was going on for a long time, but wouldn't speak out for fear that the Murdoch machine would turn on them. It's like that moment that the entire school turns on the bully and makes it very clear that they're not taking any more of his shit :D

wayward on
    edensigi.jpg
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    darleysam wrote: »
    2.15pm: More hot news from outside the committee. Labour have released the text of the motion that will be put to a vote in the opposition day debate tomorrow. It's very simple.

This House believes that it is in the public interest for Rupert Murdoch and News Corporation to withdraw their bid for BSkyB.

Ed Miliband has chosen this to maximise Lib Dem support. A Miliband aide has just told me the party hopes for "overwhelming support"

If MPs pass this motion, it won't technically have much effect. Murdoch isn't a British citizen, and the House of Commons cannot tell him what to do. In theory, it should not even be relevant to the Competition Commission inquiry into whether the bid should go through. All I can say at this stage is that a Commons vote of that kind won't increase the chances of the News Corp bid being successful.

The Tories won't want to vote against this motion (not least because, according a YouGov poll at the weekend [pdf], 70% of the public are opposed to the bid going through - and only 9% are in favour). They could abstain, but that would look weak and it would allow the motion to go through anyway. But they can table amendement. We'll find out more shortly.

You know, back in 6th Form, there was a guy in English Lit who would ask questions like "do you hate girls, or love men". This motion kind of sounds like that.

I believe the classic example is a lawyer asking a witness if he's stopped beating his wife yet.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    He shows disdain (in this one column alone) towards:

News of the World
    All Celebrities
    The Guardian
    The Independent
    The Sunday Times
    Met Police
    The Labour Party
    Lib Dems
    Max Clifford
    The BBC
    Rupert Murdoch
    David Cameron (sort of)

To be fair, that sounds like most political conversations I find myself in nowadays

Gumpy on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

I believe the classic example is a lawyer asking a witness if he's stopped beating his wife yet.

Is this just a PR thing, or would there be some significance in getting the results entered into parliamentary records?

Thinking of something similar to the whole superinjunction fiasco, where should things get rushed through and the commitee overseeing the merger is instructed to ignore the various investigations as being ongoing and therefore incomplete there is still this as part of the records that can't be ignored when it comes to legal challenges later down the line.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Its a PR thing

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    ls2ju.jpg
    4.05pm: The government will support Labour tomorrow in the Murdoch debate, the BBC reports.

That's significant. It means the Commons is going to vote against Murdoch taking over BSkyB.

• MPs expected to vote against Rupert Murdoch taking over BSkyB. With Labour and the government in favour, the motion - "This House believes that it is in the public interest for Rupert Murdoch and News Corporation to withdraw their bid for BSkyB" - may well go through unopposed.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    Gumpy wrote: »
    He shows disdain (in this one column alone) towards:

News of the World
    All Celebrities
    The Guardian
    The Independent
    The Sunday Times
    Met Police
    The Labour Party
    Lib Dems
    Max Clifford
    The BBC
    Rupert Murdoch
    David Cameron (sort of)

To be fair, that sounds like most political conversations I find myself in nowadays

I find myself increasingly vexed by cynical shrugging of the "they're all the same" variety. No, they're not.

Several entries in this list are blameless and are in fact praiseworthy in this scandal.

Bogart on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    He basically accuses the guardian of trying to kill the whole industry out of spite

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hah! They're buying back shares now, to try and stop their price from sinking even further.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    He basically accuses the guardian of trying to kill the whole industry out of spite

By doing their job, properly and by the law.

Richard Littlejohn is a reprehensible twat. Being on his 'things I hate list' is a badge of honour to be worn with pride.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

By doing their job, properly and by the law.

Richard Littlejohn is a reprehensible twat. Being on his 'things I hate list' is a badge of honour to be worn with pride.

The dirty swine are not playing by the rules.

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well they ain't turning a profit so clearly they are rubbish journalists. An argument i've heard far too frequently in the last week.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well they ain't turning a profit so clearly they are rubbish journalists. An argument i've heard far too frequently in the last week.

The Guardian seems to be more a victim of advertising revenue collapse and a series of poor business decisions, if Private Eye is to believed

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

They don't, but parliament can setup a judicial inquiry that does have the power to compel attendance.

They do, but the compulsion needs to be voted on in the commons before it becomes legally binding

It is understood Brooks could be compelled to attend if a majority of the House of Commons votes in favour of a motion requiring her to do so.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/12/rupert-murdoch-invited-mps

and this as well it seems

The chairman of the Commons Culture Committee, John Whittingdale, has told Sky News that parliament has the power to compel only British citizens to appear before committees - meaning that Rupert Murdoch is out of reach.

Whittingdale said that the committee would only be able to compel Rebekah Brooks, a British citizen and the embattled chief execuitve of News International to appear. Both Rupert Murdoch, an Australian native who took US citizenship, and his son James would not have to appear.

The haziness indicates it's not really something Commons committees (and or the media covering what goes on in politics) usually have to deal with.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/blog/2011/jul/12/phone-hacking-scandal-live-coverage

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I find it surprising that Brown didn't nail Brooks to the wall after that (legally speaking of course), he was one of the most powerful men in the country at the time.

Yow do know what Twain said, right?

"France has usually been governed by prostitutes."

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Bastable wrote: »
    I find it surprising that Brown didn't nail Brooks to the wall after that (legally speaking of course), he was one of the most powerful men in the country at the time.

It looks like he did not connect that Brook calling him about knowing his son was going to die would be connected to illegal phone hacking. Or he took on board Brook's implied threat that NI could and would smear him by any means.

It's like poor Ryan getting Brook and coulson to admit to paying off cops and within months there are photos of him in his underwear (on gay sites not less because homo's are icky amrite News corp) on the front page.

Coogens correct in his statement that it was a protection racket.

Fair enough but if anything was to spur a man into action, especially one with Brown's reputed temper, it would be a trashy tabloid using his baby son's illness as a way to sell papers.

The more I think about it, the more it enrages me. When Brown made his farewell speech and then walked away with his family, the thing that struck me the most was how relieved he looked, like the weight of the world had been lifted from his shoulders and also how obvious his love for his kids was. Whatever about the pressures of high office, no one should have to put up with something like this.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I find it interesting how Brown was never really portrayed in the media in a positive light. he was made out to be an idiot.

probably would have been different if he'd licked murdoch's boots. Apparently, he broke the story about his son himself so the sun couldn't have their big scoop. and he was warned that was the wrong way to play. which is really, horribly shocking.

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/12/news-of-the-world-pinging

this is also completely fucked up. hey, police, do the journalists illegal work instead of your job!

the met are going to be gutted too. I hope to god.

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I have yet to hear any good things about the Met.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Apparently the front page of the Sun tomorrow is going to lead with the headline below (list from the Guardian live blog)

• The Sun: "Brown wrong - We didn't probe son's medical records"
    • The Times: "Crisis talks as Cameron as joins the revolt against the Murdochs"
    • The Daily Telegraph: "Hacking scandal executives face threat of police inquiry"
    • The Financial Times: "Parties unite in Commons vote to oppose Murdoch's BSkyB bid"
    • The Independent: "Party leaders unite against Murdoch"
    • The Daily Mail: "£1,000 bill for Green energy"
    • The Daily Express: "EU migrants to get British pensions"
    • The Daily Star : "Hacking scandal latest - Roo sues over tart leaks"
    The Guardian: "Parliament versus Murdoch"

Kalkino on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Even if the whole of the British Media was going down in flames, some things would remain unchanged

:/

Xagarath on
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Apparently the front page of the Sun tomorrow is going to lead with the headline below (list from the Guardian live blog)

• The Sun: "Brown wrong - We didn't probe son's medical records"
    • The Times: "Crisis talks as Cameron as joins the revolt against the Murdochs"
    • The Daily Telegraph: "Hacking scandal executives face threat of police inquiry"
    • The Financial Times: "Parties unite in Commons vote to oppose Murdoch's BSkyB bid"
    • The Independent: "Party leaders unite against Murdoch"
    • The Daily Mail: "£1,000 bill for Green energy"
    • The Daily Star : "Hacking scandal latest - Roo sues over tart leaks"
    The Guardian: "Parliament versus Murdoch"
    Of course they didn't.
    Their hired private detective did.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The Sun have seen that because of this whole mess, the NOTW went down in flames and News Corp.'s BSkyB bid is in crisis so they're obviously worried Murdoch will click his fingers and say goodbye to The Sun as well so they want to defend every single criticism that comes their way instead of letting things take their course.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Xagarath wrote: »

Even if the whole of the British Media was going down in flames, some things would remain unchanged

:/

Indeed. Stay classy Express!

Kalkino on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    I have yet to hear any good things about the Met.

They won the east division title in 2006.
    The Daily Star : "Hacking scandal latest - Roo sues over tart leaks"

What? Is a childrens' book character suing due to a damaged pastry?

Bagginses on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Nick Davies on; The MET are proper fucked now.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/blog/2011/jul/12/phone-hacking-scandal-live-coverage

Davies is of course the reporter that hung on to the story of News of the world shinaningins story. It is a bit fox news/cnn we video interview our corespondent but Davies has some good insights.

Bastable on

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Davies is of course the reporter that hung on to the story of News of the world shinaningins story. It is a bit fox news/cnn we video interview our corespondent but Davies has some good insights.

The interesting part for me there was Gordon Brown talking about The Sunday Times.

I've always thought that, regardless of appearances, all of Murdoch's companies would be run the same way. The Sunday Times has a veneer of respectability, but there's no reason to think that for some reason Murdoch would allow it to be an independent newspaper and not use it for his goals.

Brown's comments here support that view of the Times, and also reminds me that I never did understand why he was so unpopular - perhaps media bias played a big part in that?

Edit: Also what is with Hugh Grant, superhero? That is so surreal.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Of all the police Andy Hayman must be one of the worst. He:
    -Had a role in the shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes
    -Did a half-arsed job into phone hacking
    -Whilst investigating phone hacking was taken to dinner by NI executives
    -Forced to resign due to expenses abuse and sexual harrassment
    -Gets a job as a columnist for the NI paper, The Times

In summary:
    Man investigates crime
    Man finds nothing wrong
    Man gets job from criminals

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    poshniallo wrote: »

The interesting part for me there was Gordon Brown talking about The Sunday Times.

I've always thought that, regardless of appearances, all of Murdoch's companies would be run the same way. The Sunday Times has a veneer of respectability, but there's no reason to think that for some reason Murdoch would allow it to be an independent newspaper and not use it for his goals.

Brown's comments here support that view of the Times, and also reminds me that I never did understand why he was so unpopular - perhaps media bias played a big part in that?

I'd argue Nick Davies is the real super hero; broke the original story, exposed the Milly Dowler hacking several years later after continuing to work on it inspite of being pretty much accused as a creep with an agenda by News Corp. Grant helped added fuel to the fire and is really a likable chap. Unfortunately without the prior ground work by Davies and then guardians Milly Dowler story Grant would not have gained real traction.

Bastable on

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    poshniallo wrote: »

I'd argue Nick Davies is the real super hero; broke the original story, exposed the Milly Dowler hacking several years later after continuing to work on it inspite of being pretty much accused as a creep with an agenda by News Corp. Grant helped added fuel to the fire and is really a likable chap. Unfortunately without the prior ground work by Davies and then guardians Milly Dowler story Grant would not have gained real traction.

I don't really mean Hugh Grant is a hero, but just how odd his role in this is.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    He's getting his kicks in at an organization that has been pretty nasty to everyone in public life. He's really good at kicking too it seems.

Bastable on

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I don't really have anything to add to any of this but I'm finding it fascinating to follow. Could you imagine if Murdoch went down? Realistically, I know it's incredibly unlikely but wow.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie