As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recommend on: Steampunk/Dieselpunk Books/Games/Movies

BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Looking to get my Steam/Dieselpunk fix.

Mostly looking for books to read, but if there are some good games/movies out there that fit the bill, pass them along as well.

XdDBi4F.jpg
PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
Beltaine on

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    There's a book called Boneshaker you might like.

I couldn't get into it, but horses for courses and stuff.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Bioshock is pretty steampunky.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Trigun, perhaps?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    BookZ:
    The Difference Engine
    Perdido Street Station and the rest of the books in that universe
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
    The Golden Compass and the rest of the trilogy
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (comic)
    Diesel (comic) (dieselpunk)

MovieZ:
    Hellboy 2
    Steamboy
    Metropolis
    Sherlock Holmes (the new one)

GameZ:
    Thief (and Thief 2 and Thief 3)
    Arcanum
    Syberia
    Apparently this game

TychoCelchuuu on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    A relaxing non-linear Steampunk adventure.
    STEAMBOT CHRONICLES!

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Solatorobo just came out/is about to come out for the DS, and is pretty fantastic.

Films-wise, watch both Hellboys, Castle in the Sky, Castle of Cagliostro and City of Lost Children

Xagarath on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    There's that short cartoon film about robo Lincoln. I think the guy from Sideways did the voices maybe?

That was pretty fun to watch. I'm sure someone in here knows what it's called.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    There's a book called Boneshaker you might like.

I couldn't get into it, but horses for courses and stuff.

I didn't either though my wife did.

Last Exile is on instant stream. It's a steam punkish anime about air ships in what's basically a Victorian age.

Quid on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    No one has pimped out The Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons yet, so I'll go ahead and do that here.

It may or may not fall under hard sci fi, but it has a pretty steampunkish feel in my opinion. The first book (of four) is called Hyperion. If you pick it up, give it 50-100 pages. That's about when I got hooked, and now it's one of my favorites.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    Read a lot of HG Well and JG Verne.

Have you seen this yet:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5434666681046246946&q=The+Amazing+Screw-On+Head

Bagginses on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    There's that short cartoon film about robo Lincoln. I think the guy from Sideways did the voices maybe?

That was pretty fun to watch. I'm sure someone in here knows what it's called.

The Amazing Screw-On Head. There were robots and Lincoln, but no robo-Lincoln. It wasn't so much a film as a pilot for a series that never got picked up. It's actually sort of depressing to watch because it's SO GOOD and you know they'll never make any more of it.

freakish light on
    edited July 2011
    Bagginses on
  • rocketshipreadyrocketshipready Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Xagarath wrote: »
    City of Lost Children

Lime, bold, underline, italics, whatever. Watch this movie. Delicatessen and Micmacs, while not fully steampunk, definitely have that vibe, too.

rocketshipready on
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Alright. Here we go!

Ann Vandermeer- Steampunk and Steampunk II Both are collections of short stories.
    Anything by Cherie Priest in her "Clockwork Century" series.
    George Mann- The Affinity Bridge, The Osiris Ritual, and he has a bunch of shorts on his website.
    Dru Pagliassotti- Clockwork Heart. One of my favorites.
    Naomi Novik's Temeraire series has some Steampunk aspects. More Victorian era + Dragons though.
    Paolo Bacigalupi- The Windup Girl
    Nick Gevers- Extraordinary Engines. Another Steampunk anthology.
    William Gibson- The Difference Engine... obviously.

Anime wise- Steamboy and Last Exile

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Kerbob97Kerbob97 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    On a semi related note, check out what a buddy of mine is doing. Look up Haffnersigns dot blogspot dot com. He's in the sign industry, but is doing some cool steampunk models and such.

Kerbob97 on
  • RynaRyna Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Wasn't there a list of books and movies in the back/front of one of the old Deadland RPG books??

I'll have a look later..

Ryna on
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Seconding The Windup Girl , though it's only a little bit Steampunky. I'm not entirely sure what it is, truth be told, apart from good. Tore through the whole thing on a transatlantic once, so agree, a good choice.

I'd also strongly recommend Chris Wooding's Retribrution Falls, which has a sort of Firefly flavour, with zepplins. And Stephen Hunt's The Court of the Air and The Kingdom Beyond the Waves, for a more familiar, pseudo-Victorian Steampunk feel.

CroakerBC on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2011
    Alastair Reynolds - Terminal World

His second-best novel in my eyes.

Echo on
    edited July 2011
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Seconding The Windup Girl , though it's only a little bit Steampunky. I'm not entirely sure what it is, truth be told, apart from good. Tore through the whole thing on a transatlantic once, so agree, a good choice.

It's biopunk oh god I hate -punk suffixes so much

Echo on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The Court in the Air. It's Steampunk, plus an ample dose of traditional Victorian, Elder Gods, Plenty of magic, Zorro, Crab people looking for their lost city of Clamlantis, Clockwork Robot Knights, Fey gods, Communists, Airships, evil Frenchmen, and politicians that challenge each other on parliament's floor by fighting with canes for each bill.

It was pretty insanely intense, hilarious, and entertaining. Characters are a bit flat, but the awesome fuel makes up for it. A definite must have, I'd say.

Enc on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Another vote against Boneshaker. One lady with a mechanical arm does not a steampunk novel make.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2011
    Another vote against Boneshaker. One lady with a mechanical arm does not a steampunk novel make.

Hey now, it had zombies and airships too.

But yeah. I've read it, and I didn't think it was especially interesting.

Echo on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Echo wrote:

What would you say his best is? I grabbed revelation space on a recommendation but haven't started it yet.

Have you checked the Wiki page? It's always good to read the founding works of a subgenre.

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Echo wrote:

What would you say his best is? I grabbed revelation space on a recommendation but haven't started it yet.

I was always partial to The Prefect, which I thought wwas slightly more accessible than Revelation Space, and had the added benefit of being a rare example of a good sci-fi mystery novel (see also: Flatlander). House of Suns was pretty good too. The first serious was heavy going when I came to it as a new reader. Fascinating, but very, very dense - and it didn't make much in the way of concessions to a reader who couldn't keep up.

CroakerBC on
    Echo wrote:

Pushing Ice is my favorite.

I feel his stand-alone novels have better writing than his Inhibitor novels - his first novel in particular, Revelation Space, is pretty damn dry, and it feels like all the characters in the Inhibitor novels are emotionless robots. (Then again, most of them are Ultras)

• AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    Ryna wrote:
    Wasn't there a list of books and movies in the back/front of one of the old Deadland RPG books??

I'll have a look later..

Speaking of Deadlands, there's a series of four stand-alone comic books coming out. The first one came out last month, and the second comes out next week. I imagine they'll be collected into a trade paperback by the end of the year.
    deadlands__devil__s_six_gun_by_cedwardsellner-d3bam3x.jpg

Also on the Comic front, Lady Mechanika #2 and a collected edition of Issues #0-1 came out this week. My copies are still on order, so I can't comment on their quality yet.
    ladymechanika0e1.jpgLadyMechanika-02b-Garza.jpg

soempty.jpg
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Oooh, lots of goodies to check out now. Thanks guys.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Master of the World. Available on instant viewing (netflix). It stars Vincent Price and Charles Bronson. It's a combination of the Jules Verne novels Master of the World and Robur the Conqueror. Old but I liked it.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    You didn't ask about TV shows, but I'm not letting that slow me down. http://www.riesetheseries.com/ comes highly recommended.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    "We're sorry, but the clip is not available from your current location." Oh how I hate IP restrictions ...

• NorthNorth Registered User regular
    Cherie Priest's Boneshaker usually gets all the love when she is mentioned. Personally I thought Dreadnought was much better. It takes place in the same alternate history civil war era timeline setting as Boneshaker. There is steam powered technology like dirigibles but the story is told from the main characters perspective and these things are taken for granted rather then having the details fawned over. Some minor spoilerish details spoilered below
    There is a scene where two giant mechs are duking it out in the dark in middle of a civil war battlefield while the main character runs around trying to not get shot or stepped on that is pretty intense. The book culminates in a train chase/race scene that is also great.

• piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I remember watching Robot Carnival as a kid. I was going to say you might have trouble finding it, but it looks like it's all on Youtube. I'm sure it's much more terrible than I remember though.

Edit: If I recall correctly, it's delightfully creepy.

piL on
  • Mildred CrumbMildred Crumb Registered User new member
    H.G. Wells: The Time Machine
    I suppose some stuff by Joules Verne, although I haven't read much of his work.
    Stephen King's: The Dark Tower series (but that's a mix of horror, sci-fi and steampunk Western and not good all the way through).
    I read an interesting e-book recently called Ironclad Intentions on Kindle. It's a steampunk Western and took a while to get into, but then I really enjoyed it.
    As for games in this kind of genre... I would go for Bioshock, Borderlands, Dishonoured and Fallout.

Just as steampunk revives ancient technology, so too has Mildred revived an ancient thread.

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    How does this happen? Searches gone wrong?

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with excessively impractical brass gears.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    North wrote: »
    Cherie Priest's Boneshaker usually gets all the love when she is mentioned. Personally I thought Dreadnought was much better. It takes place in the same alternate history civil war era timeline setting as Boneshaker. There is steam powered technology like dirigibles but the story is told from the main characters perspective and these things are taken for granted rather then having the details fawned over. Some minor spoilerish details spoilered below
    There is a scene where two giant mechs are duking it out in the dark in middle of a civil war battlefield while the main character runs around trying to not get shot or stepped on that is pretty intense. The book culminates in a train chase/race scene that is also great.

The entire Clockwork Century series is pretty entertaining to read.
    http://theclockworkcentury.com/

fake edit: Just realized this is a three year old thread.

• dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow?

steam_sig.png
  • MorranMorran Registered User regular
    +1 for the china mieville books (perdido street station, the scar and iron council).

80 days is an awesome android/ios interactive fiction/game which sets the classical novella in a steampunk setting.